|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date did the porters begin to carry the entire expedition's gear down?
2. How did Herzog feel about Terray's concerns?
3. What terrified Herzog on his way out?
4. When did Herzog give up on surviving the descent?
5. What did Rebuffat and Terray insist upon doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Herzog describe Camp II on his descent?
2. How did Dr. Oudot treat Herzog's frostbite?
3. Describe Herzog's descent from the Woods of Lete.
4. Describe the night that Lachenal and Herzog spent in a cavern.
5. What question did Herzog ask Ang-Tharkay? What was Ang-Tharkay's answer?
6. What aspect of the conditions was Herzog worried about during his descent?
7. What news did Herzog receive at Camp II?
8. What did Dr. Oudot threaten Herzog with on their descent?
9. Describe Herzog's return to camp.
10. Describe the splitting up of the climbing team in Gorakhpur.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with the claim that the high peaks of the Himalayas should not be climbed because they were considered holy by certain local people?
Essay Topic 2
What were the international repercussions that resulted from the accomplishments that were attained by Herzog and his team?
Essay Topic 3
How were the climbers' relations with the Sherpas and locals, in terms of how their different cultures revealed themselves through their interactions?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)