|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. Oudot inject into Herzog and Lachenal?
2. What did Herzog say in response to Terray's offer?
3. What did Herzog receive from a figure in his vision?
4. What happened to Herzog as he descended the ice wall that the team encountered?
5. How did Herzog depart from his style in describing the descent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the amputation of Herzog's fingers and toes.
2. Describe Herzog's return to camp.
3. When did Herzog's will to live return to him?
4. What prediction did Herzog make to Terray?
5. Why was Herzog angry with Schatz, and what news did Schatz take to Camp II?
6. How did Herzog describe Camp II on his descent?
7. Describe the state of Herzog's fingers and toes.
8. Describe the splitting up of the climbing team in Gorakhpur.
9. Why were Terray and Rebuffat descending to Camp II when Herzog and Lachenal met them?
10. What happened to improve the condition of the climbers whose spirits had sunk because of the altitude sickness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with the claim that the high peaks of the Himalayas should not be climbed because they were considered holy by certain local people?
Essay Topic 2
On recent expeditions to Everest, it seems to have become commonplace for climbers to be left for dead. What were some of the factors that prevented that decision from being made in relation to the expedition to Annapurna?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with the claim that the expedition was not a complete success, because out of all the team members, only Herzog and Lachenal ultimately reached the summit?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)