|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the source that Dr. Oudot used to restock his medical supplies?
2. Why was Herzog angry with Schatz?
3. What did Herzog ultimately decide about his fingers?
4. How were Herzog and Lachenal moved out of the Woods of Lete?
5. What was Herzog's plan when he reached Camp III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herzog's feelings while he was descending the mountain.
2. How did Dr. Oudot treat Herzog's frostbite?
3. Describe the amputation of Herzog's fingers and toes.
4. What happened to improve the condition of the climbers whose spirits had sunk because of the altitude sickness?
5. Describe Herzog's fever-induced vision.
6. How did Herzog describe Camp II on his descent?
7. Why were Terray and Rebuffat descending to Camp II when Herzog and Lachenal met them?
8. Describe Herzog's return to camp.
9. Describe the night that Lachenal and Herzog spent in a cavern.
10. What aspect of the conditions was Herzog worried about during his descent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the technical developments that had made the expedition to Annapurna possible?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with the claim that the high peaks of the Himalayas should not be climbed because they were considered holy by certain local people?
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe the importance of atmospheric and environmental conditions in the expedition to Annapurna? What types of conditions did the climbers encounter, and how did they cope with them or overcome them?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)