|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Rebuffat and Terray concerned about when Herzog returned to camp?
2. What was Herzog's condition during the descent?
3. How did Herzog feel about Terray's concerns?
4. Who was Herzog tied to for the descent?
5. Where did Herzog make the new Camp IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of Herzog's fingers and toes.
2. Describe the team's descent from the Woods of Lete.
3. Describe Lachenal and Herzog's arrival at Camp IV.
4. Describe Herzog's descent from the Woods of Lete.
5. What weather-related news did Herzog and his team learn about when they reached the base camp?
6. Why were Terray and Rebuffat descending to Camp II when Herzog and Lachenal met them?
7. What did Herzog and his team plan to do in the Woods of Lete?
8. How did Dr. Oudot treat Herzog's frostbite?
9. What aspect of the conditions was Herzog worried about during his descent?
10. When did Herzog's will to live return to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can you evaluate the claim that the accomplishment of the expedition was not worth the loss of the fingers and toes of Herzog and Lachenal?
Essay Topic 2
On recent expeditions to Everest, it seems to have become commonplace for climbers to be left for dead. What were some of the factors that prevented that decision from being made in relation to the expedition to Annapurna?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways in which mountaineering has changed since 1950, when Herzog and his team made their ascent of Annapurna?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)