|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Terray worried about when he greeted Herzog at Camp II?
2. How were Herzog and Lachenal moved out of the Woods of Lete?
3. What did Herzog hear over the radio?
4. What did Herzog hear upon returning to camp?
5. What was Lachenal's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to improve the condition of the climbers whose spirits had sunk because of the altitude sickness?
2. Describe Lachenal and Herzog's arrival at Camp IV.
3. Describe Herzog's descent from the Woods of Lete.
4. What aspect of the conditions was Herzog worried about during his descent?
5. What did Dr. Oudot threaten Herzog with on their descent?
6. Describe Herzog's feelings while he was descending the mountain.
7. What weather-related news did Herzog and his team learn about when they reached the base camp?
8. What prediction did Herzog make to Terray?
9. Describe the team's descent from the Woods of Lete.
10. When did Herzog's will to live return to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the standard of risk that the climbers established with their decisions? What risks did Herzog and his team members take? Which risks did they consider to be too dangerous?
Essay Topic 2
Can you describe the significance of Herzog's invitation to Ang-Tharkay to summit with him and Lachenal? What different constituencies would interpret that gesture, and how would they be apt to view it?
Essay Topic 3
How were the climbers' relations with the Sherpas and locals, in terms of how their different cultures revealed themselves through their interactions?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)