|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the climbers descend to after reuniting?
(a) Camp II.
(b) The upper Camp IV.
(c) The lower Camp IV.
(d) Camp III.
2. What changed as the climbers descended from the Woods of Lete?
(a) The rain began.
(b) The temperature rose.
(c) They began to encounter flooding.
(d) The snow began.
3. What was Terray's response to the information that Herzog confided in him?
(a) He offered to go back for more supplies.
(b) He offered to start negotiating with the Sherpas.
(c) He offered to start taking more equipment up the mountain.
(d) He offered to dispel the tension among the other climbers.
4. How did Dr. Oudot care for Herzog's fingers and toes?
(a) He saved almost all of Herzog's fingers and toes.
(b) He cut them all off at once.
(c) He waited until gangrene set in before he amputated anything.
(d) He amputated a finger or toe every few days.
5. At whose mercy did Herzog ultimately collapse?
(a) At Dr. Oudot's.
(b) At Rebuffat's.
(c) At Lachenal's.
(d) At Schatz's.
6. What news did Herzog get about the weather?
(a) That a storm had trapped climbers at Camp IV.
(b) That a storm had enveloped base camp.
(c) That the monsoon had arrived early.
(d) That the summit had been cleared for an attempt.
7. Who were Rebuffat and Terray concerned about when Herzog returned to camp?
8. What state was Camp IV in when Rebuffat and Terray reached it?
(a) Covered in ice.
(b) Buried under avalanche snow.
(c) Very good condition.
(d) Swept away by an avalanche.
9. What news did Schatz take with him to Camp II?
(a) That supplies were being sent from Base Camp.
(b) That the monsoon was approaching.
(c) That Rebuffat and Terray would organize Camp IV the next day.
(d) That the Sherpas were unhappy.
10. What gear did Herzog lose after reaching the summit?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His boots.
(d) His wool cap.
11. What did Rebuffat and Terray insist upon doing?
(a) Returning to Camp II.
(b) Staying at Camp III.
(d) Returning to Camp IV.
12. Why was Herzog angry with Schatz?
(a) For having injured himself.
(b) For having disobeyed him.
(c) For having opened the emergency rations.
(d) For having descended alone.
13. How long did Herzog have before the weather would set in?
(a) A week.
(b) The year was uncommonly fair, and the weather would not turn to rain for a few more weeks.
(c) The weather would probably worsen the next day.
(d) A few days.
14. What did Herzog hear over the radio?
(a) News that their summit achievement had been celebrated.
(b) A special weather report.
(c) News about the Korean conflict.
(d) News from France.
15. How did the climbers handle the porters during their descent?
(a) They had to force able-bodied men to help them.
(b) They were always fending off thieves and bandits among them.
(c) They took good care of them and paid them well.
(d) They were always trying to suppress their mutinies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Herzog and Lachenal have difficulty walking?
2. What terrified Herzog on his way out?
3. What date did the porters begin to carry the entire expedition's gear down?
4. What news did Herzog receive from Sherpas?
5. How did things improve while Herzog was at camp?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)