|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threatened Herzog's fingers and toes?
(d) The rigors of getting him out of the valley.
2. What terrified Herzog on his way out?
(a) The thought of never seeing his wife again.
(b) The fear of suffocating.
(c) Being carried over high ledges.
(d) The thought that one of his climbers might die.
3. What did Herzog hear over the radio?
(a) News from France.
(b) News about the Korean conflict.
(c) News that their summit achievement had been celebrated.
(d) A special weather report.
4. What happened when Herzog was hit by an avalanche?
(a) He lost his gloves.
(b) He was buried for a day.
(c) He and his climbing partners fell on opposite sides of a ridge, balancing each other.
(d) He fell into a crevasse.
5. What happened to Herzog as he descended the ice wall that the team encountered?
(a) He lost skin on his fingers.
(b) He was swept up in an avalanche.
(c) He fell.
(d) He lost his gloves.
6. What was Herzog's plan when he reached Camp III?
(a) To summit the next day.
(b) To return to Camp II.
(c) To re-establish Camp IV.
(d) To retreat.
7. How did the climbers handle the porters during their descent?
(a) They were always trying to suppress their mutinies.
(b) They had to force able-bodied men to help them.
(c) They took good care of them and paid them well.
(d) They were always fending off thieves and bandits among them.
8. Where did Herzog and Lachenal spend the night after summitting?
(a) At Camp IV.
(b) At Camp III.
(c) At Camp V.
(d) At Camp II.
9. Why did the porters turn back as the climbers descended from the Woods of Lete?
(a) They could not stand the heat.
(b) They could not stand the cold.
(c) They were not getting paid.
(d) They did not want to get too far from home.
10. What did Herzog ultimately decide about his fingers?
(a) That he would continue to use them until they were worn away.
(b) That he would have cut them off himself if it meant ending the pain.
(c) That it would be better to lose them than to fail to get everyone down.
(d) That he needed to get down as soon as possible to save them.
11. What did Dr. Oudot insist that Herzog do as they descended?
12. What did Herzog confide to Terray in Camp II?
(a) That the Sherpas were unhappy.
(b) That the others would probably die.
(c) That the two of them would probably be the first to summit.
(d) That he was not feeling well.
13. What changed as the climbers descended from the Woods of Lete?
(a) The temperature rose.
(b) They began to encounter flooding.
(c) The rain began.
(d) The snow began.
14. What did Dr. Oudot go out to get for Herzog?
(a) A shot to restore circulation.
15. How did Dr. Oudot care for Herzog's fingers and toes?
(a) He cut them all off at once.
(b) He amputated a finger or toe every few days.
(c) He saved almost all of Herzog's fingers and toes.
(d) He waited until gangrene set in before he amputated anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Herzog lost sight of upon returning to camp?
2. What did Dr. Oudot tell Herzog that he would probably lose?
3. What news did Schatz take with him to Camp II?
4. What did Dr. Oudot use for amputations?
5. How long did Herzog have before the monsoon would reach the mountains?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)