|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzog confide to Terray in Camp II?
(a) That the others would probably die.
(b) That he was not feeling well.
(c) That the Sherpas were unhappy.
(d) That the two of them would probably be the first to summit.
2. What was the going like from Camp IV?
(a) Steep ice and exposed rock.
(b) Ice walls and crevasse fields.
(c) Bare rock.
(d) Snowfield to the summit.
3. What awakened Herzog from his vision?
(a) The porter falling.
(c) An injection.
(d) The sound of horses.
4. When did Herzog give up on surviving the descent?
(a) When he could no longer feel his feet.
(b) When he and Lachenal fell down the mountain.
(c) When he and Lachenal could not find Camp IV.
(d) When he could no longer walk.
5. What did Dr. Oudot threaten Herzog with on the descent?
(b) Relieving him of command of the expedition.
(d) Amputation of his fingers.
6. Where did the Sherpas stay when Lachenal and Herzog stayed at Camp IV?
(a) At Base Camp.
(b) At Camp III.
(c) At Camp V.
(d) At Camp II.
7. What news did Herzog receive from Sherpas?
(a) That the summit had been cleared for an attempt.
(b) That Terray had forged ahead.
(c) That Couzy had left himself.
(d) That supplies would be arriving.
8. How long did Herzog have before the monsoon would reach the mountains?
(a) A week, maybe two.
(b) More than a month.
(c) A few days.
(d) A couple of weeks.
9. How did Herzog depart from his style in describing the descent?
(a) He described the account that was printed in the newspapers afterward.
(b) He described part of it from Ichac's journal.
(c) He used stream of consciousness.
(d) He flashed back to his first mountaineering trip.
10. What did Dr. Oudot tell Herzog about his prognosis?
(a) That he would be lucky to live.
(b) That he would probably lose his arms and legs.
(c) That he could not tell yet.
(d) That he could probably save something.
11. What was Herzog's first priority while withdrawing from the mountain?
(a) Saving his fingers and toes.
(b) Descending before it warmed up.
(c) Staying at camp until the other climbers returned.
(d) Looking for the climbers who were still climbing.
12. What did Herzog reply when Lachenal asked him what he would do if he (Lachenal) were to turn back?
(a) He replied that he would stay at Camp V until he (Lachenal) would return.
(b) He replied that he would continue the expedition alone.
(c) He would turn back as well.
(d) He replied that he would make it Camp VI.
13. How did Herzog make his way out of the valley?
(a) On foot.
(b) By horse.
(c) On a sled.
(d) On a porter's back.
14. What were Herzog and Lachenal astounded to see on their way to Camp III?
(a) The summit of Annapurna.
(b) Climbers descending.
(c) The summit of Dhaulagiri.
(d) Sherpas descending.
15. What did Herzog ask Ang-Tharkay at Camp V?
(a) To take more supplies to Camp V.
(b) To carry a message to Terray at Camp III.
(c) To send news to France.
(d) To summit with him and Lachenal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the weather like as Herzog and Lachenal were making their way down?
2. What did Herzog confide to Terray after digging out in the morning?
3. What did Herzog say in response to Terray's offer?
4. Who went to help Herzog and Lachenal at the edge of the Sickle glacier?
5. How did Herzog cope with his fear on the way out of the climb?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)