|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Herzog make his way out of the valley?
(a) On foot.
(b) On a sled.
(c) On a porter's back.
(d) By horse.
2. How did things improve while Herzog was at camp?
(a) The weather got cleared.
(b) The Sherpas reached an agreement.
(c) The Sherpas provided more supplies.
(d) Lachenal and Couzy's altitude sickness got better.
3. What trouble did Herzog and his team continue to have after their descent from the Woods of Lete?
(a) A lack of funds.
(c) A shortage of porters.
(d) Insurrection among the porters.
4. Where did the Sherpas stay when Lachenal and Herzog stayed at Camp IV?
(a) At Base Camp.
(b) At Camp II.
(c) At Camp V.
(d) At Camp III.
5. Where did Herzog and Lachenal spend the night after summitting?
(a) At Camp II.
(b) At Camp V.
(c) At Camp IV.
(d) At Camp III.
6. What happened to Herzog as he descended the ice wall that the team encountered?
(a) He fell.
(b) He lost his gloves.
(c) He was swept up in an avalanche.
(d) He lost skin on his fingers.
7. What did Dr. Oudot tell Herzog about his prognosis?
(a) That he would probably lose his arms and legs.
(b) That he could probably save something.
(c) That he would be lucky to live.
(d) That he could not tell yet.
8. To which of the following did Herzog compare Camp II?
(a) A railroad station.
(b) An inn.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A battlefield.
9. Why had Herzog lost sight of things upon returning to camp?
(a) He was totally exhausted.
(b) He was in pain from his injuries.
(c) He was overjoyed to report his achievement.
(d) He was sick with altitude sickness.
10. What news did Herzog receive from Sherpas?
(a) That Couzy had left himself.
(b) That Terray had forged ahead.
(c) That the summit had been cleared for an attempt.
(d) That supplies would be arriving.
11. What did Dr. Oudot use for amputations?
(a) Ice axes.
(c) Surgical tools.
(d) A cooking knife.
12. What did Herzog see in his fever-induced vision?
(a) His wife.
(b) His parents.
(c) Himself among the mountains.
(d) His friends.
13. What awakened Herzog from his vision?
(b) An injection.
(c) The porter falling.
(d) The sound of horses.
14. Who went to help Herzog and Lachenal at the edge of the Sickle glacier?
(c) Dr. Oudot.
15. What did Herzog confide to Terray after digging out in the morning?
(a) That he would probably die.
(b) That he wished that he had never climbed.
(c) That summitting was far too risky.
(d) That he (Terray) should be in charge if Herzog were to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog reply when Lachenal asked him what he would do if he (Lachenal) were to turn back?
2. How was Herzog's physical condition for the descent?
3. How did Herzog and his team help the Sherpas climb on ice?
4. Why was Herzog worried about conditions?
5. Where did Herzog and Lachenal spend their second night after summitting?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)