|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Codi and Hallie were children, who used to babysit them?
2. The results of genetic inbreeding in Grace are most apparent in what feature of the townsfolk?
3. J.T. reveals to Codi that the purpose of her trip with Loyd would have been to participate in what activity?
4. Who is watching Codi and Hallie in Chapter 1?
5. When Codi and Hallie get home after the storm, what do they want to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene do Codi and Loyd pass on the way to Tucson?
2. What does Codi discover about the condition of the river in Chapter 11?
3. What about Codi and Hallie touches Homer's heart as he watches them sleep?
4. What does Codi tell the Stitch and Bitch Club when invited to speak to it about the plight of the river?
5. Why does Loyd drive Codi to Tucson in Chapter 24?
6. What does the Stitch and Bitch Club do to raise money to fight the mining company?
7. What do Codi and Hallie ask their father when they get home after being rescued from the arroyo?
8. What about Codi confuses her father when she confronts him about the tombstone in Chapter 15?
9. What does Codi realize because of the way she is treated by Loyd's family when they first meet her?
10. Why does Codi have unpleasant memories of high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore what the author's attitude toward death and the afterlife might be, based on the experiences and myths presented in "Animal Dreams." Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concepts of family presented in the novel. How does Codi's perception of her family change throughout the novel? What factors contribute to her changing definition?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how Codi's isolation because of her mother's death and her father's prejudices affected her relationship with her sister. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)