|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is one of Codi's students dropping out of school?
2. Where does Codi bring her students in Chapter 11?
3. How much does Codi think her father knows about her situation?
4. How does Doc Homer feel about Codi's situation?
5. What does Codi think has ruined the crops in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his Chapter 10 flashback, how does Homer feel about Codi's situation?
2. What does Hallie tell Codi in her last letter?
3. What is the attitude of Codi's father about her relationship with Loyd?
4. How does Codi feel about her father's diagnosis of Alzheimer's?
5. What does Codi ponder when she is with Viola Domingos at the site where the helicopter came for her mother?
6. Where do Codi and Loyd spend Christmas?
7. Why does Codi have unpleasant memories of high school?
8. Who are the Nolinas?
9. How does Codi react to the news that one of her students is pregnant and dropping out of school?
10. What happened to Codi's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver employs a variety of literary devices in the novel---foreshadowing, symbolism, and so forth. Choose one of these devices, and explore its usage and effectiveness throughout the novel. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Several major events occur throughout the course of the novel. Which one marks the turning point for Codi? What event has the greatest effect on the course of her life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Codi and Hallie. What are the major differences in the way they live their lives? What are some of their similarities? What factors are similar, or different, about their attitudes toward their common experiences? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)