|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Homer's flashback in Chapter 10, what has happened to Codi?
2. What was the mother of Loyd's dog?
3. Who tells Codi where her family is really from?
4. Why is one of Codi's students dropping out of school?
5. What is the relationship between Codi and Hallie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Codi and Uda find while cleaning Homer's house?
2. What do Codi and Hallie ask their father when they get home after being rescued from the arroyo?
3. What is the subject of Homer's memory in Chapter 10?
4. What is contained in the letter from the school board that Codi receives in Chapter 23?
5. What about Codi confuses her father when she confronts him about the tombstone in Chapter 15?
6. What does Codi do with the bundle of items from the funeral?
7. What does Loyd say to Codi about animal dreams?
8. What does Codi ponder when she is with Viola Domingos at the site where the helicopter came for her mother?
9. Describe Emelina's family.
10. How did Loyd's brother die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death in the novel and how it relates to the development of Codi's character. How is each death that she experiences a turning point for Codi? In what ways does she change and grow because of each loss? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of parenthood in the novel and how it relates to the development of Codi's character. How did the early loss of her mother and the subsequent loss of her own child affect Codi? How does Homer's parenting affect her? What does parenthood mean? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Kingsolver's portrayal of male and female characters. Are there major differences between the way male and female characters are depicted? What are the similarities? Are there any exceptions to the general rule? What can we infer about the author because of the manner in which she chose to depict her characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)