|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Loyd unable to make the trip he planned with Codi?
2. The results of genetic inbreeding in Grace are most apparent in what feature of the townsfolk?
3. What is the name of Loyd's dog?
4. Who tells Codi where her family is really from?
5. Where do Codi and Hallie sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Codi and Loyd spend Christmas?
2. When asked for a number to call back, whom does the caller suggest Homer contact?
3. What does Codi do with the bundle of items from the funeral?
4. Describe Codi's first day teaching at the school.
5. Who are the Nolinas?
6. What triggers Codi's classroom tirade in Chapter 21?
7. Describe the scene when Codi lost her baby.
8. What does Codi realize during Hallie's funeral?
9. What about Codi confuses her father when she confronts him about the tombstone in Chapter 15?
10. How did Loyd's brother die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyd tells Codi, "If you want sweet dreams, you've got to live a sweet life." Hallie tells her, "The least you can do is hope. The most you can do is to live inside that hope." Compare and contrast the attitudes that each of these characters has toward life. In what ways are they similar? What influence did each have on Codi and the way she chose to live her life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Explore what the author's attitude toward death and the afterlife might be, based on the experiences and myths presented in "Animal Dreams." Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of environmental concerns presented in the novel. How do environmental issues affect society on a microscopic level? On a macroscopic level? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)