|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Codi and Hallie were children, who used to babysit them?
(a) Viola Domingos.
(b) Uda Dell.
(c) Dosa Althea.
2. The group oppressing the farmers is supported by what government?
(b) The United States.
3. Where does Codi bring her students in Chapter 11?
(a) To a morgue.
(b) To the zoo.
(c) To the river.
(d) To a hospital.
4. What is the name of the lover whom the narrator has just left?
5. What does Uda give Codi to bring to her father?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A card.
(d) A pie.
6. Why is Loyd unable to make the trip he planned with Codi?
(a) He is injured.
(b) His car breaks down.
(c) His mother is ill.
(d) He is called in to work.
7. Where is Codi's father when she arrives at his house for the first time since returning to Grace?
(a) His garage.
(b) His kitchen.
(c) His darkroom.
(d) His bedroom.
8. What is the name of Loyd's dog?
9. Why does Codi's father feel remorseful in his Chapter 10 flashback?
(a) The loss of his wife.
(b) Being angry with Codi.
(c) Leaving his daughters when they were young.
(d) Not helping Codi more.
10. In his flashback, why is Homer Noline searching for Codi and Hallie?
(a) They are caught in a storm.
(b) They have run away from home.
(c) They have been kidnapped.
(d) They are hiding from him.
11. Who is watching Codi and Hallie in Chapter 1?
(a) Their babysitter.
(b) Their grandmother.
(c) Their father.
(d) Their mother.
12. Where was Hallie when she wrote the first letter Codi receives?
13. The orchards are full of what birds?
14. The narrator states that Hallie left in what month?
15. What flowers decorate the graves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Codi notice about the fruit trees?
2. Who is having the flashback in Chapter 10?
3. What will Codi do for work for the next year?
4. In Homer's flashback in Chapter 10, what has happened to Codi?
5. What does Homer Noline decide to forbid Codi and Hallie to do, as he watches them sleep?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)