1. Describe the scene that is presented at the beginning of Chapter 1.
Two little girls, Codi and Hallie, sleep in the same bed, though there is a second unmade bed in the room. Their father watches them.
2. Why are Codi and Hallie so tired in Chapter 1?
Codi and Hallie have been playing in the cemetery, helping Viola Domingos decorate an ancestor's grave.
3. What decision does Homer make while watching Codi and Hallie sleep?
Homer decides not to allow Codi and Hallie to participate in the Day of the Dead festival.
4. What about Codi and Hallie touches Homer's heart as he watches them sleep?
Homer is touched by how close Codi and Hallie are and by how much they have lost in their short lives.
5. Why has Hallie left Tucson?
Hallie left Tucson to go work in the cotton fields around Chinandega in Nicaragua and help the farmers being suppressed by the Contras.
This section contains 2,272 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)