|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ restore our childlike wonder in the world, the lost belief in magic, dreams, and possibilities.
2. Traditionally, the __________ is the place of wisdom and it often reflects the human body and the thought process.
3. The chicken is linked to what quality, which makes sense given its manner of life cycles, according to the book.
4. __________ have long been a source of spiritual insight and they can help you in the understanding in the spiritual significance of the totem.
5. What is a word applied to relics, rosaries, and images thought to possess magical qualities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the location of the animal in the world matter to the interpretation of the totem animal?
2. What makes the totem relationship different from other relationships to animals in one's life?
3. What is the author's definition and explanation of what a fetish is in relationship to personal workings?
4. Why are feathers important fetishes for people to work with in relation to magic and personal power?
5. What is the way in which the author wants the reader to begin to learn the totems in this book?
6. What are the exercises in the book supposed to help a reader do in his own life?
7. What does Andrews say about the feathers as they are removed from a bird during preening?
8. Give some examples in which attributes of an animal might be given to a human via description.
9. What are the 'breath of life' and the 'tree of life' as the author defines them in this chapter?
10. In the ancient history of the Native American tribes, what was the relationship between animals and people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author points out that looking into the world around us can help us make decisions for the future.
Part 1: Do you think that augury is fortunetelling? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think augury might be able to help you in your personal life?
Part 3: Why do you think that people in the past turned to augury as a way to help them make decisions about their life?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a scavenger animal is one that is described in a different way than one might expect.
Part 1: Do you think the author's definition of a scavenger is different from the normal definition?
Part 2: Why do you think a scavenger is often thought of as a dangerous or evil animal?
Part 3: How do you feel about the idea of being a scavenger? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
The power of totems begins when you can connect with the animal and call them to you.
Part 1: Why do you think it's easy to call household pets to you, but not totem animals?
Part 2: Do you think that all animals can be called to a person?
Part 3: How do you think you might begin to create a deeper relationship with a totem animal?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)