|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The whole family reunites in Mississippi to hear the story about Faith and her mother and Bonnie. Who is shocked and angry?
2. Slip feels betrayed by whom, after learning about Faith and her mother?
3. Faith realizes that, although annoyed, who loves her?
4. Merit does what in the library?
5. Which child chose not to come home for the holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Mr. Paradise and Eric, Merit's ex-husband?
2. What is Audrey's attitude about her divorce?
3. How does Kari finally tell Julia the truth and what happens, as a result?
4. Describe the changes in Fred in this section of the book.
5. Do you think that Faith handled Beau well, when Beau was crying in his room?
6. Describe Fred and Slip's relationship in this section.
7. What family secret does Beau discover and tell Faith about and how does Faith react?
8. How did Faith's mother die?
9. How does Faith initially react to hearing that Beau is gay and that Shelby is a man?
10. How does Faith actually feel about Beau's secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel, a couple of the women have gotten divorced.
Part 1. What are the reasons that the women divorced their husbands and do you agree with their reasoning? Why or why not?
Part 2. In real life, do you think divorce is sometimes a good idea or would you choose one mate and stay with them no matter what? Give at least two hypothetical situations or examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Faith and her mother never have time to resolve their argument before the accident killed Faith's mother.
Part 1. Using two or more examples from the book, explain how you think the unresolved conflict with her mother affected Faith throughout the book?
Part 2. Write about a time when a friend or family member died. What do you wish you could have said to them? Did you have an unresolved conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Eric abuses Merit throughout the book. His abuse eventually results in a divorce and, ultimately, Merit hits him when they meet up again at their daughter's college graduation.
Part 1. Why was Eric abusive towards Merit?
Part 2. Why did Merit take Eric's abuse for as long as she did?
Part 3. Choose two conflicts between Merit and Eric and describe alternative ways that Eric and Merit could have resolved the conflict.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)