|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patsy say she lied for Faith?
2. Slip is miserable from the heat, and upset over the resent death of Martin Luther King Jr. and whom?
3. At home, Slip learns her brother has been injured where?
4. Kari introduced the Angry Housewives to Julia where?
5. The women are in whose house when they decide to start a book club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the five friends are doing, as the book opens.
2. Do you think that Kari should tell her brother that the baby is his daughter, Mary Jo's?
3. How do you feel about Slip's activist nature?
4. Do you think that it was right for Fred to enlist to go to Vietnam?
5. When Faith is nearly caught in a lie, Patsy covers for her. Do you think it was right for Patsy to cover for Faith?
6. Do you think that Merit is strong or weak?
7. Faith narrates the prologue. What is the significance of Faith's name, as it seems to relate to the book?
8. How does hiding things in her hair make Merit feel?
9. Faith and Slip see Audrey sunbathing topless next door. How do you feel about Audrey's antics.
10. Why does Audrey's ability upset Faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faith lies to her friends about her past throughout the book.
Part 1. Why does Faith feel compelled to lie?
Part 2. Why does Faith finally feel compelled to tell the truth?
Part 3. Write about a time when you lied to someone and eventually told them the truth. What were the consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Eric abuses Merit throughout the book. His abuse eventually results in a divorce and, ultimately, Merit hits him when they meet up again at their daughter's college graduation.
Part 1. Why was Eric abusive towards Merit?
Part 2. Why did Merit take Eric's abuse for as long as she did?
Part 3. Choose two conflicts between Merit and Eric and describe alternative ways that Eric and Merit could have resolved the conflict.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Kari adopts her nieces baby. Using several examples from various points in the story, discuss the impact the adoption of Julia has on Kari and her family, as the story progresses. Also, write a short description of how you would have handled Julia's adoption, if you were Kari.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)