|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Merit's last name is what?
2. Why does Patsy say she lied for Faith?
3. Last year, after what event of Kari's did Eric beat Merit savagely for wearing political buttons?
4. To rebel against Eric, where does Merit hides things?
5. Who is a senior partner in a law firm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was right for Fred to enlist to go to Vietnam?
2. Why do you think that Eric beats Merit?
3. How is Kari conflicted about being a mother?
4. Faith narrates the prologue. What is the significance of Faith's name, as it seems to relate to the book?
5. What secrets are discussed in this section and what do they say about how the book will progress?
6. Why does Patsy cover for Faith, when Faith is almost caught in a lie and what is the resulting conversation between Patsy and Faith?
7. Do you think that Merit is strong or weak?
8. Why does Audrey's ability upset Faith?
9. Do you think that Kari should tell her brother that the baby is his daughter, Mary Jo's?
10. Describe Kari's home life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confession is another main theme of the story. Choose and describe one of the following three confessions in detail. Then, explain your thoughts about the event. How did it affect the book as a whole? Do you agree with how it was handled? Why or why not?
1. Merit confesses to being abused.
2. Faith confesses to lying about her mother.
3. Kari confesses the truth about the adoption to Julia.
Essay Topic 2
Eric, Faith and Kari, especially, are very much affected by their pasts in the novel.
Part 1. List at least two examples each where each of the characters of Faith, Eric and Kari are affected by their pasts.
Part 2. Why do you think that, in general, people's pasts affect their futures and do you think that those affects are always negative? Why or why not?
Part 3. Have you ever been affected by your past? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Using at least three examples from the book, describe who you think the strongest member of the book club is and why. Also, using a different three examples, describe who you think the weakest member of the book club is and why.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)