|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
2. Who visits Susan alone at the ranch while her family is out watching the fireworks?
3. What is the next mining job for Oliver?
4. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
5. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter highlight the dangers of the West, and how does the author foreshadow the end of happy times for the Wards?
2. Why doesn't Susan leave with Frank?
3. Why is the job offer from US Geological Survey a mixed blessing?
4. What is Susan's attitude about Idaho?
5. Are they able to resolve their differences and move on?
6. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver when she returns to New York and is with her friends?
7. Why does Frank commit suicide?
8. Why is Susan embarrassed for Oliver during the preparations of leaving for the mine in Mexico?
9. What is the tone of Susan's letter to Augusta in this chapter?
10. Why does Lyman feel more depressed than interested at this point in his writing work ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Susan maintain her genteel style of living even in the wild west? Give specific examples and why these items or styles were important to maintain the gentility.
Essay Topic 2
What are the themes of this novel, and did the author express them well?
Essay Topic 3
What are Susan's qualities that make her a strong western woman? Give examples of each quality.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)