|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
2. Who is Lyman's father?
3. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
4. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
5. Who has returned to the canyon to help with the new efforts on the irrigation scheme?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are they able to resolve their differences and move on?
2. Susan and Oliver separate as he takes the surveying job and she moves the family to Victoria BC - how does part of the Wards' life compare with Lyman's own personal history?
3. Why does Frank commit suicide?
4. What is the theme of this chapter?
5. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver when she returns to New York and is with her friends?
6. What is Susan's impression of Mexico?
7. How has the Wards' life changed, and how has it stayed the same?
8. Why does the author end the story with Lyman's thoughts?
9. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
10. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the themes of this novel, and did the author express them well?
Essay Topic 2
Could Susan have been a mining engineer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Shelley Rasmussen play in the plot movement in this novel? How did she compare with Susan Ward in Lyman's eyes? How did the author use Shelley to explain Lyman's character?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)