|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
2. What does Frank tell Susan he misses the most?
3. What does Susan do instead?
4. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
5. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oliver disappoint Susan and embarrass her to her family and friends?
2. Why is Susan embarrassed for Oliver during the preparations of leaving for the mine in Mexico?
3. How does Shelley's reading of the manifesto bring the reader back to the present day of Lyman's 1970?
4. Susan and Oliver separate as he takes the surveying job and she moves the family to Victoria BC - how does part of the Wards' life compare with Lyman's own personal history?
5. Why doesn't Susan leave with Frank?
6. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
7. How does this chapter highlight the differences in approach to life by Oliver and Susan?
8. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
9. Why does Frank commit suicide?
10. What are Oliver's reasons for sending Pricey back to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the themes of this novel, and did the author express them well?
Essay Topic 2
How is Rodman different from his father? Does Lyman admire his son or resent him? Does Rodman respect his father or see him as a chore and an obligation?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Susan so enamored of Mexico? Why was she able to produce her illustrations in such quantity while there?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)