|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan tell Augusta and Thomas that she has not told her husband yet?
2. What are the names of the Ward children?
3. Who is Bradford Burns?
4. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
5. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lyman feel more depressed than interested at this point in his writing work ?
2. Why is the job offer from US Geological Survey a mixed blessing?
3. What is the theme of this chapter?
4. In this chapter, Lyman describes some of the resources he uses to recreate the life of his Grandmother Susan Ward. Describe them.
5. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
6. What is the underlying message to Augusta in Susan's letter from Mexico?
7. How does this chapter highlight the dangers of the West, and how does the author foreshadow the end of happy times for the Wards?
8. What is Susan's attitude about Idaho?
9. Oliver and Susan are in serious disagreement when he comes to New York - why?
10. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which is better: to be creative and imaginative like Susan or handy and methodical like Oliver? Why? Prepare to defend these answers in a presentation to the class.
Essay Topic 2
What are Susan's qualities that make her a strong western woman? Give examples of each quality.
Essay Topic 3
How does this author use symbolism in the novel? Give specific examples.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)