|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
2. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
3. Who is Frank Sargeant?
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
5. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
2. How does Susan present her New Almaden life to Augusta in their correspondence?
3. What is Susan's attitude about her one-room shack in Leadville?
4. In what ways in this chapter does the author remind the reader of Susan's issues?
5. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
6. Is Susan a good caretaker?
7. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
8. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
9. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
10. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Rodman different from his father? Does Lyman admire his son or resent him? Does Rodman respect his father or see him as a chore and an obligation?
Essay Topic 2
What are Susan and Oliver's basic complaints about each other? How do they try to resolve it, if at all? Give examples of her anger towards him, and his towards her.
Essay Topic 3
Could Susan have been a mining engineer? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)