|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a good description of the Ward home?
2. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
3. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
4. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
5. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
2. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
3. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
4. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
5. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
6. How does Susan present her New Almaden life to Augusta in their correspondence?
7. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
8. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
9. In what ways in this chapter does the author remind the reader of Susan's issues?
10. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lyman intent on staying independent?
Essay Topic 2
How does this author use symbolism in the novel? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
How is Rodman different from his father? Does Lyman admire his son or resent him? Does Rodman respect his father or see him as a chore and an obligation?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)