|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oliver's mining job after Deadwood?
2. What was the weather like on the trip to New Almaden?
3. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
4. Who is Marian Prouse?
5. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Susan a good caretaker?
2. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
3. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
4. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
5. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
6. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
7. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
8. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
9. What attracted Susan to Oliver?
10. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does this author use symbolism in the novel? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author expound on his theme of the importance of choosing the right spouse, or how the choice of a marriage partner rules our life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Susan maintain her genteel style of living even in the wild west? Give specific examples and why these items or styles were important to maintain the gentility.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)