|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
2. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
3. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
4. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
2. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
3. What is Susan's attitude towards her marriage and new life in this chapter?
4. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
5. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
6. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
7. When Augusta disapproves of Oliver, what characteristics in Susan are brought to light?
8. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
9. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
10. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Rodman different from his father? Does Lyman admire his son or resent him? Does Rodman respect his father or see him as a chore and an obligation?
Essay Topic 2
How is life today different from the life described by the author for Susan and Oliver Ward? How do you think their lives would have been different if they had been married in 2008 instead of the 1800's?
Essay Topic 3
Which is better: to be creative and imaginative like Susan or handy and methodical like Oliver? Why? Prepare to defend these answers in a presentation to the class.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)