|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oliver look in the procession of people headed to the mine for inspection?
(a) Like a prince
(b) Like an Indian
(c) Out of place in his Colorado gear, while eveyrone else is dressed in splendor
(d) Like an eastern gentleman
2. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Santa Cruz, CA
(b) Victoria, British Columbia
(c) Augusta's home
(d) Milton, NY
3. How old is Susan in this chapter?
4. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(b) Knowing what you have to accept.
(c) Getting a degree
(d) Graduating from high school
5. Where did Shelley get the manifesto?
(a) Her boyfriend Larry gave it to her
(b) Rodman sent it to her
(c) She found it in Ada's purse
(d) Lyman handed it to her
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
2. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
3. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
4. Who is Ollie's benefactor at St. Paul's?
5. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the job offer from US Geological Survey a mixed blessing?
2. How does this chapter highlight the dangers of the West, and how does the author foreshadow the end of happy times for the Wards?
3. Why does Lyman feel more depressed than interested at this point in his writing work ?
4. How has the Wards' life changed, and how has it stayed the same?
5. In this chapter, how does Susan's relationship with Frank Sargeant change?
6. How does Oliver disappoint Susan and embarrass her to her family and friends?
7. Why did Susan send Ollie away?
8. How does Oliver try to make a home welcome for Susan when the two of them are reunited in Idaho?
9. What is Susan's attitude about Idaho?
10. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)