|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She tells him in person
(b) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(c) She sends him a telegram
(d) She calls him on the phone
2. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(b) The name of a cemetary
(c) The feeling just before you pass away
(d) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
3. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
(a) The family is shunned from Boise
(b) Oliver wants to build a church
(c) It is closer to Oliver's work
(d) Their financial backers have pulled out support.
4. What does Frank do in an attempt to right matters concerning the jumped claims?
(a) He files a lawsuit
(b) He asks Burns to sell the Wards back one of the claims
(c) He tries to borrow money from Augusta
(d) He talks to the governor
5. What does Susan discover about her husband one night as he returns from meetings with potential backers in Boise?
(a) He has been drinking and is drunk
(b) He does not know how to read
(c) He has another woman
(d) He has been hiding money from her
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
2. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
3. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
4. Lyman is thinking about his wife in this chapter. What is her name?
5. What does Susan like about the Boise Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oliver disappoint Susan and embarrass her to her family and friends?
2. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
3. How does Shelley's reading of the manifesto bring the reader back to the present day of Lyman's 1970?
4. What is the underlying message to Augusta in Susan's letter from Mexico?
5. What happens between Frank and Susan on the evening of July 4th?
6. Why do Oliver and Susan argue when he returns from the mine inspection in Mexico?
7. What is Susan's impression of Mexico?
8. In this chapter, how does Susan's relationship with Frank Sargeant change?
9. Why is Susan embarrassed for Oliver during the preparations of leaving for the mine in Mexico?
10. Oliver and Susan are in serious disagreement when he comes to New York - why?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)