|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bradford Burns?
(a) A fellow writer
(b) A lawyer who files claims on land belonging to Augusta & Thomas, and to Bessie and John
(c) One of Frank's friends
(d) A friend of Augusta's
2. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(b) She tells him in person
(c) She calls him on the phone
(d) She sends him a telegram
3. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
(a) Susan's sister Bessie
(b) Susan's parents
4. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing what you have to accept.
(b) Getting a degree
(c) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(d) Graduating from high school
5. Who is Nellie Linton?
(a) Lizzie's mother
(b) Susan's mother
(c) A teacher and nanny from England who lives with the Wards in the canyon
(d) Augusta's nanny
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
2. What is the proposition made to her that night?
3. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
4. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
5. Where does Susan send Agnes and Betsy so she and Oliver can talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank commit suicide?
2. What is the theme of this chapter?
3. What happens between Frank and Susan on the evening of July 4th?
4. How has the Wards' life changed, and how has it stayed the same?
5. Why does Lyman feel more depressed than interested at this point in his writing work ?
6. In this chapter, Lyman describes some of the resources he uses to recreate the life of his Grandmother Susan Ward. Describe them.
7. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
8. Susan and Oliver separate as he takes the surveying job and she moves the family to Victoria BC - how does part of the Wards' life compare with Lyman's own personal history?
9. How does Oliver try to make a home welcome for Susan when the two of them are reunited in Idaho?
10. What is Susan's impression of Mexico?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)