|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver was drinking
(b) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(c) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(d) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
2. Where did Oliver live while he was waiting for his house to be finished?
(a) With friends
(b) At Mother Fall's Boardinghouse
(c) In a tent
(d) In a car
3. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They did not know what they were doing
(b) They were ignorant and mean
(c) They were happy and tanned
(d) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
4. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
(a) Wealthy and selfish.
(b) Afraid to take chances.
(c) Tough, resilient, creative and enduring.
(d) Boring and untalented.
5. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(b) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He is Shelley's husband
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan view Lizzie?
2. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
3. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
4. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
5. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Susan present her New Almaden life to Augusta in their correspondence?
2. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
3. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
4. How does the servant girl Lizzie provide an example to Susan of the western way of life?
5. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
6. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
7. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
8. In what ways in this chapter does the author remind the reader of Susan's issues?
9. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
10. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)