|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He had been injured in the war.
(b) He had cancer
(c) He was a vegetarian
(d) He abused alcohol
2. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(b) Susan is in love with another man
(c) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(d) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
3. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Fear of change
(b) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(c) Whining and indecisiveness
(d) Submission and resignation
4. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
5. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(b) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(c) Because he turned down the severance pay
(d) Because she wanted him to continue working there
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
2. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
3. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
4. There is trouble in Leadville with Oliver's claim. What has happened?
5. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
2. How is Susan's embarrassment with her husband's social abilities highlighted in this chapter?
3. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
4. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
5. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
6. What does Lyman hope to accomplish during the writing about his grandparents' lives?
7. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
8. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
9. How is the trip from Denver to Leadville symbolic of the Wards' marriage?
10. What attracted Susan to Oliver?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)