|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Oliver has an opium habit
(b) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(c) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(d) Oliver has lost his job
2. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(b) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
(c) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
(d) Because he is illiterate
3. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
(a) By having Shelley read parts of the book out loud to Lyman
(b) By creating a romance between Shelley & Lyman
(c) By showing Shelley's thoughts about Lyman
(d) By reminding the reader of the difference between 1970's culture and society the way it was when Susan and Oliver were dating.
4. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) New Almaden, California
(b) Milton, NY
(c) San Francisco, CA
(d) Houston, TX
5. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(b) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
(c) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(d) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
2. Who is Ferd Ward?
3. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
4. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
5. Who is Pricey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
2. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
3. When Augusta disapproves of Oliver, what characteristics in Susan are brought to light?
4. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
5. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
6. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
7. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
8. Is Susan a good caretaker?
9. What is Susan's attitude about her one-room shack in Leadville?
10. Explain how Susan and Oliver reach a certain angle of repose while living in New Almaden?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)