|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(b) He is Shelley's husband
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
2. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
(b) They were happy and tanned
(c) They did not know what they were doing
(d) They were ignorant and mean
3. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(a) with Oliver
(b) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
(c) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
4. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
(a) No one
(b) Oliver's family
(c) Her family
(d) Augusta and Thomas
5. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
Short Answer Questions
1. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
2. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
3. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
4. How is this chapter different from others, from the perspective of the Ward marriage?
5. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oliver and Susan are in serious disagreement when he comes to New York - why?
2. Why does Frank commit suicide?
3. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
4. What is Susan's attitude about Idaho?
5. Why do Oliver and Susan argue when he returns from the mine inspection in Mexico?
6. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
7. Why is Susan embarrassed for Oliver during the preparations of leaving for the mine in Mexico?
8. How does the servant girl Lizzie provide an example to Susan of the western way of life?
9. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
10. What happens between Frank and Susan on the evening of July 4th?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)