|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He was turned down for a promotion
(b) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(c) He has found another job
(d) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
2. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
(b) Writing a book about her grandparents
(c) Studying Spanish
(d) Writing her memoirs
3. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
(a) Because Lizzie cannot pronounce the baby's name
(b) It was the name of Susan's childhood friend
(c) It is short for Olivia
(d) It is a shortened version of his first name, Oliver, and saves from being confused with his father in the story.
4. How does Susan view Lizzie?
(a) Stong, patient, resilient mother who has accepted her conditions well.
(b) A thief
(c) A competitor for Oliver's attention
(d) A noisy, bothersome helpmate
5. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
(a) Mr. King
(b) Frank Sargeant
(d) Mrs. Elliott
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
2. What is Susan's new form of income?
3. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
4. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
5. What is a good description of the Ward home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
2. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
3. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
4. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
5. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
6. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
7. Why did Susan send Ollie away?
8. What is Susan's state of mind in this chapter?
9. Why are Shelley's problems critical to the story?
10. What is Susan's attitude towards her marriage and new life in this chapter?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)