|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) Shelley suggested this form to him
(b) Lyman has no experience in writing
(c) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(d) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
2. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) An argument about what to have for dinner
(b) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(c) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(d) A conversation about television
3. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(b) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(c) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(d) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
4. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
(a) Susan opened a restaurant
(b) Oliver had an affair
(c) Augusta came to see Susan
(d) Susan went down into the mine
5. What is Oliver's mining job after Deadwood?
(c) Leadville, Colorado
(d) Milton NY
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lyman Ward return to his family home?
2. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
3. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
4. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
5. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
2. Why does the author end the story with Lyman's thoughts?
3. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver when she returns to New York and is with her friends?
4. Oliver and Susan are in serious disagreement when he comes to New York - why?
5. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
6. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
7. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
8. Why is Susan embarrassed for Oliver during the preparations of leaving for the mine in Mexico?
9. What is the theme of this chapter?
10. What is Susan's attitude about Idaho?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)