|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(b) He has found another job
(c) He was turned down for a promotion
(d) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
2. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
(a) He did send it, but it got lost in the mail
(b) He gambled away the money
(c) He forgot
(d) He did not have the money to send
3. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
(a) His love scenes between Oliver and Susan are not graphic enough
(b) He is not descriptive enough about scenery
(c) It is not easy to read
(d) He uses too many big words
4. Who is Pricey?
(a) Susan's pet name for her wagon
(b) Susan's horse
(c) Oliver's clerk from England
(d) The gardener
5. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
(a) That he will ask her to marry him, or at least stay single so she, Thomas, and Augusta will be an eternal threesome.
(b) That he will move west
(c) That he will purchase a horse for her
(d) That he will buy her family's home so she can move the entire family west
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
2. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
3. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
4. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
5. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
2. Is Susan a good caretaker?
3. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
4. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
5. Why are Shelley's problems critical to the story?
6. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
7. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
8. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
9. What is Susan's state of mind in this chapter?
10. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)