Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) Asleep in their bed
(b) Critically injured from a beating
(c) At the local tavern
2. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He was turned down for a promotion
(b) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(c) He has found another job
(d) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
3. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
(a) Become a professor of engineering
(b) Join the Geological Survey
(c) Run a saloon in Leadville
(d) To write for Harpers Weekly
4. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(b) Because he is illiterate
(c) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
(d) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
5. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) Susan wants to travel
(b) She is allergic to mine dust
(c) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
(d) Susan thinks engineering is boring
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
2. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
3. What odd presents did Oliver send from Leadville to Susan and Ollie in Milton?
4. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
5. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the Wards reach an angle of repose during this period? What is threatening to cause that balance to shift?
2. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
3. What is the final rip in the fabric of the Ward marriage?
4. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
5. What is the underlying message to Augusta in Susan's letter from Mexico?
6. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
7. Why is the job offer from US Geological Survey a mixed blessing?
8. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
9. How does this chapter highlight the differences in approach to life by Oliver and Susan?
10. In this chapter, how does Susan's relationship with Frank Sargeant change?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)