|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She writes a cookbook
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She manages a brothel in Milton
(d) She is a teacher
2. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Frank's father
(b) Susan's employer
(c) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
(d) Oliver's boss
3. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
(a) She is in a coma
(b) Her career is growing; she has intelligent conversations with their visitors, and she is pregnant.
(c) She is falling in love with the mine supervisor
(d) She is back east with Augusta
4. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
Short Answer Questions
1. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
2. What odd presents did Oliver send from Leadville to Susan and Ollie in Milton?
3. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
4. What was the weather like on the trip to New Almaden?
5. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Susan's state of mind in this chapter?
2. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
3. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
4. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
5. What does Lyman hope to accomplish during the writing about his grandparents' lives?
6. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
7. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
8. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
9. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
10. Explain how Susan and Oliver reach a certain angle of repose while living in New Almaden?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)