|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They were ignorant and mean
(b) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
(c) They did not know what they were doing
(d) They were happy and tanned
2. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
(a) It allows the author to cover the time Oliver spent in Deadwood without the usual narration or correspondence plot devices.
(b) To show Rodman's interest in his father's book
(c) To test Lyman's mental faculties
(d) To remind the reader that Rodman and Lyman are related
3. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(b) He is cheating on his wife
(c) He owes money to the company
(d) He is a good man with a generous heart
4. What is Lyman's fear?
(a) That Ada will fall down the stairs while carrying him
(b) Ed will accidentally hurt himself
(c) Shelley will leave with Larry
(d) That his son will place him into an institution and take away his freedom.
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(d) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
2. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
3. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
4. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
5. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
2. Why are Shelley's problems critical to the story?
3. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
4. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
5. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
6. What attracted Susan to Oliver?
7. What is Susan's attitude towards her marriage and new life in this chapter?
8. Is Susan a good caretaker?
9. How does the servant girl Lizzie provide an example to Susan of the western way of life?
10. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)