|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He abused alcohol
(b) He had cancer
(c) He had been injured in the war.
(d) He was a vegetarian
2. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Susan's employer
(b) Oliver's boss
(c) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
(d) Frank's father
3. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(b) Susan is in love with another man
(c) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(d) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
4. What does Larry send to Shelley, care of Lyman?
(a) a wedding ring
(b) A bottle of scotch
(c) 24 canaries
(d) A car
5. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
(a) The ball games
(b) Shelley's arrival in the afternoons to work for him
(c) Ada's nightly ministrations
(d) The highway noise
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
2. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
3. Who is Pricey?
4. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
5. Who is Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
2. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
3. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
4. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
5. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
6. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
7. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
8. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
9. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
10. How is the trip from Denver to Leadville symbolic of the Wards' marriage?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)