|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
(a) No one
(b) Her family
(c) Oliver's family
(d) Augusta and Thomas
2. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
(a) that she will steal his story ideas and write her own book
(b) That she is loud and brazen, completely different from his grandmother who was genteel and always dressed impeccably
(c) that she is attractive and fun
(d) that she is shy and boring
3. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) Leadville is in the United States
(b) Leadville is smaller
(c) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(d) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
4. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
(a) Susan is 9 years older than Frank
(b) Frank is 9 years older than Susan
(c) They are the same age
(d) Susan is 15 years younger than Frank
5. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver was drinking
(b) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(c) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(d) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
Short Answer Questions
1. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
2. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
3. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
4. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
5. What happened on the day Susan first arrived in Leadville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Susan's state of mind in this chapter?
2. What is Susan's attitude about her one-room shack in Leadville?
3. How is Susan's embarrassment with her husband's social abilities highlighted in this chapter?
4. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
5. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
6. What does Lyman hope to accomplish during the writing about his grandparents' lives?
7. How is the trip from Denver to Leadville symbolic of the Wards' marriage?
8. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
9. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
10. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)