|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(b) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
(c) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(d) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
2. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Whining and indecisiveness
(b) Fear of change
(c) Submission and resignation
(d) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
3. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
(b) Susan's employer
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Frank's father
4. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(b) Asleep in their bed
(c) Critically injured from a beating
(d) At the local tavern
5. What sad news does Augusta's first letter to Susan in New Almaden include?
(a) Augusta and Thomas's baby died of diptheria
(b) Thomas has passed away
(c) Augusta and Thomas are divorcing
(d) Thomas has lost his job
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
2. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
3. What is Susan's new form of income?
4. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
5. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
2. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
3. What does Lyman hope to accomplish during the writing about his grandparents' lives?
4. Is life harmonious and happy for the Wards in Leadville?
5. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
6. Is Susan a good caretaker?
7. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
8. Explain how Susan and Oliver reach a certain angle of repose while living in New Almaden?
9. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
10. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)