|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
2. What does Larry send to Shelley, care of Lyman?
(a) A car
(b) a wedding ring
(c) 24 canaries
(d) A bottle of scotch
3. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(b) Lyman has no experience in writing
(c) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(d) Shelley suggested this form to him
4. Who is Ferd Ward?
(a) Oliver's sister
(b) Oliver's father
(c) Oliver's grandfather
(d) Distant cousin to Oliver, a financial Wall Street wizard
5. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
(a) Susan opened a restaurant
(b) Susan went down into the mine
(c) Oliver had an affair
(d) Augusta came to see Susan
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
2. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
3. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
4. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
5. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Susan's embarrassment with her husband's social abilities highlighted in this chapter?
2. How does the servant girl Lizzie provide an example to Susan of the western way of life?
3. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
4. How is Lyman's situation similar to that of Oliver?
5. What characteristics are further brought out once Susan joins her husband in New Almaden?
6. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
7. When Augusta disapproves of Oliver, what characteristics in Susan are brought to light?
8. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
9. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
10. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)