|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
(a) Thomas is severely ill
(b) Augusta has passed away
(c) Her sister Bessie is ill
(d) Her mother is expecting a baby
2. Who is Pricey?
(a) Susan's horse
(b) Oliver's clerk from England
(c) Susan's pet name for her wagon
(d) The gardener
3. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(b) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(c) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(d) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
4. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(b) He saved Lyman's life
(c) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(d) He is Shelley's husband
5. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
(a) He is not descriptive enough about scenery
(b) His love scenes between Oliver and Susan are not graphic enough
(c) It is not easy to read
(d) He uses too many big words
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad news does Augusta's first letter to Susan in New Almaden include?
2. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
3. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
4. What was the weather like on the trip to New Almaden?
5. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the trip from Denver to Leadville symbolic of the Wards' marriage?
2. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
3. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
4. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
5. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
6. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
7. Why is Oliver unsuccessful in his attempts to market his invention?
8. What is Susan's state of mind in this chapter?
9. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
10. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)