|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
(a) Thomas asks her to be a writer as well as an illustrator.
(b) Susan begins to study engineering
(c) Susan takes in mending and washing clothes for the miners
(d) Susan becomes a model
2. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(b) Become a boarding house manager
(c) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(d) Get rid of Marian the nanny
3. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Writing her memoirs
(b) Writing a book about her grandparents
(c) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
(d) Studying Spanish
4. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
(a) To test Lyman's mental faculties
(b) To show Rodman's interest in his father's book
(c) To remind the reader that Rodman and Lyman are related
(d) It allows the author to cover the time Oliver spent in Deadwood without the usual narration or correspondence plot devices.
5. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
(a) Snobbery and high handed behavior
(b) Greed and avarice
(c) Ignorance and selfishness
(d) Compassion for those less fortunate, decency,misplaced loyalty, principals, lack of good business judgement, more of a dreamer
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
2. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
3. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
4. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver during this time in New Almaden?
5. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Susan's attitude about her one-room shack in Leadville?
2. Explain how Susan and Oliver reach a certain angle of repose while living in New Almaden?
3. How is Susan's transformation into a western woman exemplified in this chapter?
4. What is Susan's attitude towards her marriage and new life in this chapter?
5. Why are Mrs. Elliott's suggestions so confusing to Susan?
6. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
7. Why is Lyman resistant to Shelley's writing suggestions?
8. How is Susan's embarrassment with her husband's social abilities highlighted in this chapter?
9. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
10. How are the scenes in this chapter different from all the ones before and after as far as the marriage between Oliver and Susan?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)