|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(b) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(c) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(d) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
2. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
(a) That he will buy her family's home so she can move the entire family west
(b) That he will purchase a horse for her
(c) That he will ask her to marry him, or at least stay single so she, Thomas, and Augusta will be an eternal threesome.
(d) That he will move west
3. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
(a) On a train headed west
(b) Inside a mine
(c) In an elevator
(d) At a high society party
4. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He was turned down for a promotion
(b) He has found another job
(c) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(d) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
5. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
(a) Augusta and Thomas
(b) Her family
(c) No one
(d) Oliver's family
Short Answer Questions
1. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
2. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
3. What is Lyman's fear?
4. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
5. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Augusta disapproves of Oliver, what characteristics in Susan are brought to light?
2. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
3. How are the 24 canaries sent to Shelley like the elk head sent to Susan?
4. How is the trip from Denver to Leadville symbolic of the Wards' marriage?
5. What is Susan's attitude towards her marriage and new life in this chapter?
6. Why are Shelley's problems critical to the story?
7. What attracted Susan to Oliver?
8. How is Shelley's problem with her husband similar to Susan's problems with Oliver?
9. What is Susan's attitude about her one-room shack in Leadville?
10. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)