|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
2. Who is Rodman?
(a) Rodman is Lyman's uncle
(b) Rodman is an old boyfriend of Shelley
(c) Rodman is a friend of Larry's
(d) Rodman Ward is Lyman's only child, and is a professor at Berkeley
3. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(b) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(c) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(d) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
4. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Oliver has lost his job
(b) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(c) Oliver has an opium habit
(d) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
5. What sad news does Augusta's first letter to Susan in New Almaden include?
(a) Thomas has passed away
(b) Thomas has lost his job
(c) Augusta and Thomas are divorcing
(d) Augusta and Thomas's baby died of diptheria
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan view Lizzie?
2. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
3. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
4. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
5. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so unusual for Susan to enter the mine at New Almaden?
2. How does the servant girl Lizzie provide an example to Susan of the western way of life?
3. Explain how Susan and Oliver reach a certain angle of repose while living in New Almaden?
4. Why do Lyman and Al become better friends in the present than they were as children?
5. Why is Lyman so uncomfortable around Shelley?
6. What makes Lyman wonder about his grandmother's sexual preferences?
7. Why did Oliver resign from the New Almaden Mine?
8. Why doesn't Susan want Oliver to accept the job in Bolivia?
9. How is Susan's embarrassment with her husband's social abilities highlighted in this chapter?
10. In what ways in this chapter does the author remind the reader of Susan's issues?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)