|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(b) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(c) Oliver was not a nice person
(d) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
2. Who is Bradford Burns?
(a) One of Frank's friends
(b) A friend of Augusta's
(c) A lawyer who files claims on land belonging to Augusta & Thomas, and to Bessie and John
(d) A fellow writer
3. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
(a) It is closer to Oliver's work
(b) The family is shunned from Boise
(c) Oliver wants to build a church
(d) Their financial backers have pulled out support.
4. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
(a) There is no money to be made in the mine and the early reports were incorrect.
(b) The other men laughed at his clothes
(c) The mine is full of silver
(d) Don Gustavo fell off his horse
5. Why does Oliver begin looking for another job?
(a) The company he is working for has no insurance
(b) He is bored with his present job
(c) He has been fired
(d) A lawsuit has stopped all work on the mine he has been working
6. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He was bitten by a snake
(b) He fell off his horse
(c) He got lost in the plains
(d) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
7. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
(a) He has taken on an irrigation project instead of a mining job and did not tell her
(b) He was late arriving from Boise
(c) He forgot to bring her a present
(d) He brought another elk head with him
8. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Finds another woman
(b) Drinks heavily
(c) Builds another house
(d) Learns another language
9. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
(a) A letter from Shelley's mother
(b) A letter from Ellen Ward
(c) Divorce papers
(d) A manifesto prepared by Larry for a commune
10. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
(b) They are free to do what they like
(c) They are all ignorant
(d) They spend all their time in school
11. What task has Oliver given to Susan while he is gone?
(a) To buy some pots
(b) To find a house if he decides to take the job
(c) To write to her family for money
(d) To spy on Emelita
12. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) The name of the town
(b) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
(c) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
(d) Emelita's husband
13. What does Frank tell Susan he misses the most?
(b) When they used to ride away alone and she would draw him
(c) Her cooking since they hired a camp cook
(d) Her stories
14. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
15. What does Susan do instead?
(a) Moves in with Augusta
(b) Takes a steamer to China
(c) Stops writing and illustrating
(d) Returns to Boise
Short Answer Questions
1. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
2. Who is Ollie's benefactor at St. Paul's?
3. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
4. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
5. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)