|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Susan send Ollie for his education?
(a) To Santa Cruz
(b) To Boise High School
(c) To Mexico
(d) To St. Paul's, a school back east near Augusta and Thomas
2. What is their cook's name?
(a) Julia Child
(b) Hop Sing
(c) Robert Mancel
(d) Charley Wan
3. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
(b) They are free to do what they like
(c) They are all ignorant
(d) They spend all their time in school
4. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
(a) If Susan is in love with him
(b) If he is a good horseman
(c) If he can write for them
(d) If he can draw
5. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
(a) He is losing interest in his book
(b) He is too attracted to Shelley
(c) He is worried about money
(d) He has been drinking too much in the past two weeks
6. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is leaving her all of his money
(b) He is not coming back
(c) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
(d) He is marrying Nellie
7. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
(a) Divorce papers
(b) A letter from Ellen Ward
(c) A manifesto prepared by Larry for a commune
(d) A letter from Shelley's mother
8. How long does Ollie stay away from his family after leaving Boise to attend St. Paul's in 1890?
(a) Ten years
(b) 5 years
(c) Twenty years
(d) three months
9. What religion is Susan Ward?
10. How old is Susan in this chapter?
11. Where did Shelley get the manifesto?
(a) Lyman handed it to her
(b) Her boyfriend Larry gave it to her
(c) Rodman sent it to her
(d) She found it in Ada's purse
12. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Graduating from high school
(b) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(c) Knowing what you have to accept.
(d) Getting a degree
13. Why is Oliver upset with Susan in this chapter?
(a) She is seeing Thomas
(b) She is not writing
(c) She did not tell him about the baby until it had already been born
(d) She is writing to Frank Sargeant
14. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She tells him in person
(b) She sends him a telegram
(c) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(d) She calls him on the phone
15. What is the next mining job for Oliver?
(b) San Francisco CA
(c) Michoacan, Mexico
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Ward family get to move into their new house?
2. How does Susan perceive the move to Boise?
3. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
4. What does Susan do instead?
5. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)