|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Frank Sargeant?
(a) He ran off with Susan
(b) He married Nellie
(c) He ran off with Agnes
(d) He shot himself in the head
2. To what does Shelley compare the commune?
(a) Susan's home on the mesa in Boise Canyon
(b) Thoreau's Walden
(c) Living in San Francisco
(d) A native american tribe
3. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The feeling just before you pass away
(b) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
(c) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(d) The name of a cemetary
4. After several years of waiting for financial backers, what happens to Frank and Wiley?
(a) They join the army
(b) They begin writing and illustrating
(c) They get married
(d) They get other jobs
5. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(b) He fell off his horse
(c) He got lost in the plains
(d) He was bitten by a snake
6. What has happened to the irrigation project?
(a) It was engineered incorrectly
(b) It is succeeding beyond expectations
(c) The financial backing has stopped again
(d) It has been taken over by the government
7. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
(a) 10 years
(b) 8 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 7 years
8. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
(a) Trusting the wrong people and trusting too much
(b) Damaging her artwork
(c) Fighting in bars
(d) Stealing money
9. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
10. What are the names of the Ward children?
(a) Susan, Betsy and Bessie
(b) Ollie, Nellie and Elliott
(c) Rodman, Ollie and Susan
(d) Ollie, Betsy and Agnes
11. What is Frank's "incurable disease"?
(b) His love for Susan
12. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Finds another woman
(b) Learns another language
(c) Builds another house
(d) Drinks heavily
13. What does Frank do in an attempt to right matters concerning the jumped claims?
(a) He files a lawsuit
(b) He tries to borrow money from Augusta
(c) He talks to the governor
(d) He asks Burns to sell the Wards back one of the claims
14. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
(b) The name of the town
(c) Emelita's husband
(d) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
15. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
(a) To see if she is still in love with him
(c) Feelings for Frank Sargeant
(d) Resentment about the new house
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the next mining job for Oliver?
2. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
3. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
4. Who is watching the ballgame with Lyman when Ellen appears?
5. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)