|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lyman's father?
2. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
(a) Build a monument to Frank
(b) Marry Thomas Hudson
(c) Get an apartment in New York and continue her career
(d) Go into business with Nellie
3. Where does Susan send Agnes and Betsy so she and Oliver can talk?
(a) To their rooms
(b) To their lessons with Nellie
(c) To watch tv
(d) To play in the canyon
4. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
5. What happens to Pricey?
(a) He recovers and runs for Senate
(b) He dies
(c) Oliver sends him home to England
(d) He stays with Susan and Oliver
6. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
(a) Oliver could smell smoke from a cigarette
(b) Nellie had told Oliver someone was there
(c) Oliver had come back early and seen them
(d) Frank left his gloves on the rail
7. How does Oliver look in the procession of people headed to the mine for inspection?
(a) Like an Indian
(b) Like a prince
(c) Like an eastern gentleman
(d) Out of place in his Colorado gear, while eveyrone else is dressed in splendor
8. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
(b) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
(c) His mother told him
(d) It was in a newspaper clipping
9. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
(a) Stealing money
(b) Trusting the wrong people and trusting too much
(c) Fighting in bars
(d) Damaging her artwork
10. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are free to do what they like
(b) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
(c) They are all ignorant
(d) They spend all their time in school
11. How does Susan occupy her time while Oliver and the others are inspecting the mine?
(a) She takes long rides in the country
(b) She assists Emelita in cleaning the house
(c) She works on her illustrations and writing
(d) She watches television
12. What does Lyman do about his dream?
(a) Calls his wife and tells her
(b) Records it on tape
(c) Writes it down
(d) Writes about it in a letter to Rodman
13. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
(a) Her bare foot
(b) Her hand
(c) Her shoulder
(d) Her hair
14. What religion is Susan Ward?
15. Where is the commune going to be located?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Staten Island
(c) North San Juan, four miles north of Nevada City
(d) Milton, NY
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan is distressed about leaving and encourages her husband to do what?
2. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
3. What happened to Frank Sargeant?
4. Who is Bradford Burns?
5. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)