|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lyman is thinking about his wife in this chapter. What is her name?
2. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
(a) To determine whether reports of a rich vein of silver is true
(b) To locate a missing engineer
(c) To buy property
(d) To become a citizen of Mexico
3. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(b) The name of a cemetary
(c) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
(d) The feeling just before you pass away
4. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
(a) Teaching the town children
(b) Doing portraits for money
(c) Writing novels and continuing her illustrations for books and magazines
(d) Sewing quilts and selling them in Boise
5. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
(b) They are all ignorant
(c) They spend all their time in school
(d) They are free to do what they like
6. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Teacher in Boise
(c) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
(d) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
7. When does the Ward family get to move into their new house?
(a) New Years Day
(b) Christmas Eve
(c) April 15th
(d) Labor Day
8. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Santa Cruz, CA
(b) Milton, NY
(c) Augusta's home
(d) Victoria, British Columbia
9. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) His grandmother, Susan Ward
(b) The state of Colorado
(c) Frank Sargeant
10. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
11. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
(a) Susan's parents
(d) Susan's sister Bessie
12. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
(a) Frank Sargeant
(d) Mrs. Elliott
13. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
(a) He is too attracted to Shelley
(b) He is losing interest in his book
(c) He has been drinking too much in the past two weeks
(d) He is worried about money
14. How long does Ollie stay away from his family after leaving Boise to attend St. Paul's in 1890?
(a) three months
(b) Twenty years
(c) 5 years
(d) Ten years
15. What is the name of the mine in Boise where Oliver is working while Susan is home in Milton?
(a) The Alexandria
(b) The Adelaide
(d) The Wolf's Tooth
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Shelley get the manifesto?
2. Who is Don Gustavo?
3. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
4. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
5. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)