|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
(a) Mrs. Elliott
(b) Frank Sargeant
2. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
(a) There is no money to be made in the mine and the early reports were incorrect.
(b) The other men laughed at his clothes
(c) Don Gustavo fell off his horse
(d) The mine is full of silver
3. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
(b) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
(c) His mother told him
(d) It was in a newspaper clipping
4. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(b) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(c) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(d) Oliver was not a nice person
5. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Move back to town and go on welfare
(b) Hibernate for the winter
(c) Get jobs in other cities
(d) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
6. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
(a) Resentment about the new house
(b) To see if she is still in love with him
(c) Feelings for Frank Sargeant
7. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
8. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is marrying Nellie
(b) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
(c) He is not coming back
(d) He is leaving her all of his money
9. What is the proposition made to her that night?
(a) Frank asks her to run away with him
(b) Nellie asks her to become a teacher and start a school
(c) Augusta asks her to run away with her
(d) Mrs. Elliott asks her to buy the boardinghouse
10. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
(a) If he is a good horseman
(b) If Susan is in love with him
(c) If he can draw
(d) If he can write for them
11. What is Frank's "incurable disease"?
(d) His love for Susan
12. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He fell off his horse
(b) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(c) He was bitten by a snake
(d) He got lost in the plains
13. What has happened to the irrigation project?
(a) It is succeeding beyond expectations
(b) The financial backing has stopped again
(c) It was engineered incorrectly
(d) It has been taken over by the government
14. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(b) Knowing what you have to accept.
(c) Graduating from high school
(d) Getting a degree
15. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Santa Cruz, CA
(b) Victoria, British Columbia
(c) Milton, NY
(d) Augusta's home
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
2. What happens to Pricey?
3. What religion is Susan Ward?
4. What is the name of the mine in Boise where Oliver is working while Susan is home in Milton?
5. What does Susan do instead?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)