|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Milton, NY
(b) Augusta's home
(c) Santa Cruz, CA
(d) Victoria, British Columbia
2. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(c) Frank Sargeant
3. Of what does Oliver accuse Susan?
(a) Stealing money
(b) Sleeping with the cook
(c) Being a bad housewife
(d) Not having faith in him
4. How long does Ollie stay away from his family after leaving Boise to attend St. Paul's in 1890?
(a) 5 years
(b) Twenty years
(c) three months
(d) Ten years
5. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He fell off his horse
(b) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(c) He got lost in the plains
(d) He was bitten by a snake
6. Who has returned to the canyon to help with the new efforts on the irrigation scheme?
(a) Don Gustavo, Emelito
(b) Thomas Hudson, Frank, and Lizzie
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Elliott
(d) Frank, John, Wiley and the cook Wan
7. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are free to do what they like
(b) They are all ignorant
(c) They spend all their time in school
(d) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
8. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(b) The name of a cemetary
(c) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
(d) The feeling just before you pass away
9. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(b) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(c) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(d) Oliver was not a nice person
10. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) The name of the town
(b) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
(c) Emelita's husband
(d) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
11. Who is watching the ballgame with Lyman when Ellen appears?
(a) Al, Shelley, Ed and Ada
(b) Oliver, Susan, and Ollie
(c) Pricey and Frank
(d) Ollie, Agnes and Betsy
12. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
(a) Stealing money
(b) Fighting in bars
(c) Damaging her artwork
(d) Trusting the wrong people and trusting too much
13. What religion is Susan Ward?
14. What does Susan like about the Boise Canyon?
(a) The shopping
(b) The dust and wind
(c) The people in the town
(d) The beauty, the birds and the quiet
15. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
(a) Boston and New York
(b) Istanbul and Madrid
(c) London and Berlin
(d) Paris and Rome
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion of the discussion between Oliver and Susan in Mexico?
2. What has happened to the irrigation project?
3. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
4. What does Susan discover about her husband one night as he returns from meetings with potential backers in Boise?
5. Where do Oliver, Susan and their traveling party stay on their trip leaving Mexico?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)