|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
(b) Move back to town and go on welfare
(c) Hibernate for the winter
(d) Get jobs in other cities
2. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
(b) Resentment about the new house
(c) Feelings for Frank Sargeant
(d) To see if she is still in love with him
3. What does Susan do instead?
(a) Stops writing and illustrating
(b) Moves in with Augusta
(c) Returns to Boise
(d) Takes a steamer to China
4. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
(b) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
(c) His mother told him
(d) It was in a newspaper clipping
5. Who has returned to the canyon to help with the new efforts on the irrigation scheme?
(a) Don Gustavo, Emelito
(b) Thomas Hudson, Frank, and Lizzie
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Elliott
(d) Frank, John, Wiley and the cook Wan
6. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) Emelita's husband
(b) The name of the town
(c) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
(d) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
7. What is their cook's name?
(a) Charley Wan
(b) Hop Sing
(c) Julia Child
(d) Robert Mancel
8. What has happened to the irrigation project?
(a) It is succeeding beyond expectations
(b) It has been taken over by the government
(c) The financial backing has stopped again
(d) It was engineered incorrectly
9. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
10. Who is Lyman's father?
11. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(b) Getting a degree
(c) Graduating from high school
(d) Knowing what you have to accept.
12. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(d) Frank Sargeant
13. What is Frank's "incurable disease"?
(b) His love for Susan
14. Where is the commune going to be located?
(a) Staten Island
(b) San Francisco
(c) North San Juan, four miles north of Nevada City
(d) Milton, NY
15. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He fell off his horse
(b) He was bitten by a snake
(c) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(d) He got lost in the plains
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
2. When does the Ward family get to move into their new house?
3. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
4. What is the proposition made to her that night?
5. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)