|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings her back to the canyon in Idaho?
(a) Frank has asked her to meet him there
(b) Oliver has found new backing for the irrigation project
(c) The town has asked her to return
(d) She runs out of money
2. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
(a) Stop drinking
(b) Stop riding horses
(c) Stop being an engineer
(d) Stop smoking
3. What does Susan encourage Augusta and Thomas to do?
(a) Send her more money
(b) Send her roses
(c) Buy shares in the irrigation project
(d) Make a homestead claim in the canyon
4. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(b) Oliver was not a nice person
(c) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(d) Oliver was not in love with Susan
5. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
(a) Get an apartment in New York and continue her career
(b) Build a monument to Frank
(c) Go into business with Nellie
(d) Marry Thomas Hudson
6. Why does Oliver begin looking for another job?
(a) The company he is working for has no insurance
(b) A lawsuit has stopped all work on the mine he has been working
(c) He has been fired
(d) He is bored with his present job
7. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
8. Where is the commune going to be located?
(a) San Francisco
(b) North San Juan, four miles north of Nevada City
(c) Milton, NY
(d) Staten Island
9. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
(a) Boston and New York
(b) London and Berlin
(c) Paris and Rome
(d) Istanbul and Madrid
10. Of what does Oliver accuse Susan?
(a) Stealing money
(b) Being a bad housewife
(c) Not having faith in him
(d) Sleeping with the cook
11. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He got lost in the plains
(b) He was bitten by a snake
(c) He fell off his horse
(d) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
12. What has happened to the irrigation project?
(a) It was engineered incorrectly
(b) It has been taken over by the government
(c) The financial backing has stopped again
(d) It is succeeding beyond expectations
13. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Hibernate for the winter
(b) Move back to town and go on welfare
(c) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
(d) Get jobs in other cities
14. What memory does Susan reflect upon as she and Oliver prepare to leave Mexico?
(a) A childhood day of play
(b) Her last conversation with Frank Sargeant when he confesses his love for her
(c) Her last meeting with Augusta
(d) Her wedding night
15. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
(a) A manifesto prepared by Larry for a commune
(b) A letter from Ellen Ward
(c) Divorce papers
(d) A letter from Shelley's mother
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
2. Who visits Susan alone at the ranch while her family is out watching the fireworks?
3. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
4. How long does Ollie stay away from his family after leaving Boise to attend St. Paul's in 1890?
5. What does Lyman say is wisdom
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)