|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
(a) 7 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 8 years
2. Where do Oliver, Susan and their traveling party stay on their trip leaving Mexico?
(a) They ride straight through, sleeping while riding
(b) In a tent
(c) At huge mansions along the way, courtesy of Don Gustavo
(d) In caves
3. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
(b) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
(c) The name of the town
(d) Emelita's husband
4. What happens to Pricey?
(a) He recovers and runs for Senate
(b) Oliver sends him home to England
(c) He dies
(d) He stays with Susan and Oliver
5. What surprise does Oliver have for Susan?
(a) He has learned a new language
(b) He has bought her some flowers
(c) He has brought her family from MIlton
(d) He has built her a house on the mesa
6. What is Frank's "incurable disease"?
(b) His love for Susan
7. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Graduating from high school
(b) Knowing what you have to accept.
(c) Getting a degree
(d) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
8. Of what does Oliver accuse Susan?
(a) Sleeping with the cook
(b) Stealing money
(c) Being a bad housewife
(d) Not having faith in him
9. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
(a) Sewing quilts and selling them in Boise
(b) Doing portraits for money
(c) Writing novels and continuing her illustrations for books and magazines
(d) Teaching the town children
10. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Move back to town and go on welfare
(b) Hibernate for the winter
(c) Get jobs in other cities
(d) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
11. Lyman is thinking about his wife in this chapter. What is her name?
12. Who visits Susan alone at the ranch while her family is out watching the fireworks?
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(d) Frank Sargeant
13. Where is the commune going to be located?
(a) Staten Island
(b) North San Juan, four miles north of Nevada City
(c) San Francisco
(d) Milton, NY
14. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is not coming back
(b) He is leaving her all of his money
(c) He is marrying Nellie
(d) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
15. What is their cook's name?
(a) Charley Wan
(b) Hop Sing
(c) Robert Mancel
(d) Julia Child
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
2. After several years of waiting for financial backers, what happens to Frank and Wiley?
3. What does Susan tell Augusta and Thomas that she has not told her husband yet?
4. What is unusual about Ellen's visit?
5. What is the name of the mine in Boise where Oliver is working while Susan is home in Milton?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)