|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nellie Linton?
(a) Susan's mother
(b) A teacher and nanny from England who lives with the Wards in the canyon
(c) Lizzie's mother
(d) Augusta's nanny
2. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
(a) The mine is full of silver
(b) Don Gustavo fell off his horse
(c) There is no money to be made in the mine and the early reports were incorrect.
(d) The other men laughed at his clothes
3. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
(a) He brought another elk head with him
(b) He forgot to bring her a present
(c) He has taken on an irrigation project instead of a mining job and did not tell her
(d) He was late arriving from Boise
4. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
(a) Resentment about the new house
(c) Feelings for Frank Sargeant
(d) To see if she is still in love with him
5. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She sends him a telegram
(b) She tells him in person
(c) She calls him on the phone
(d) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
6. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
(b) They are all ignorant
(c) They spend all their time in school
(d) They are free to do what they like
7. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is marrying Nellie
(b) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
(c) He is leaving her all of his money
(d) He is not coming back
8. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
9. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
(a) If he can write for them
(b) If Susan is in love with him
(c) If he is a good horseman
(d) If he can draw
10. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
(a) He is too attracted to Shelley
(b) He is worried about money
(c) He is losing interest in his book
(d) He has been drinking too much in the past two weeks
11. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(b) He fell off his horse
(c) He was bitten by a snake
(d) He got lost in the plains
12. Where is the commune going to be located?
(a) Staten Island
(b) Milton, NY
(c) San Francisco
(d) North San Juan, four miles north of Nevada City
13. What is their cook's name?
(a) Hop Sing
(b) Robert Mancel
(c) Julia Child
(d) Charley Wan
14. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
(b) Susan's sister Bessie
(d) Susan's parents
15. Who is Susan finally reunited with after Mexico?
(a) Mrs. Elliott
(b) Frank Sargeant
(d) Augusta and Thomas Hudson
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion of the discussion between Oliver and Susan in Mexico?
2. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
3. What religion is Susan Ward?
4. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
5. Who is Don Gustavo?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)