|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
2. What does Susan like about the Boise Canyon?
(a) The shopping
(b) The dust and wind
(c) The people in the town
(d) The beauty, the birds and the quiet
3. What does Susan do instead?
(a) Takes a steamer to China
(b) Moves in with Augusta
(c) Stops writing and illustrating
(d) Returns to Boise
4. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Augusta's home
(b) Milton, NY
(c) Victoria, British Columbia
(d) Santa Cruz, CA
5. What is the conclusion of the discussion between Oliver and Susan in Mexico?
(a) They cannot stay in Mexico and cannot go back to Leadville.
(b) They must return to Santa Cruz
(c) The must return to New Almaden
(d) They must stay in Mexico
6. What does Frank do in an attempt to right matters concerning the jumped claims?
(a) He talks to the governor
(b) He tries to borrow money from Augusta
(c) He asks Burns to sell the Wards back one of the claims
(d) He files a lawsuit
7. How does Susan perceive the move to Boise?
(a) A chance for her children to grow up in the West
(b) As going into exile
(c) An opportunity to write more
(d) A grand adventure
8. What happened to Agnes?
(a) She got pregnant by Frank Sargeant and left town
(b) She got married
(c) She became a teacher
(d) She drowned
9. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
(a) Her bare foot
(b) Her hair
(c) Her hand
(d) Her shoulder
10. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
(a) Build a monument to Frank
(b) Get an apartment in New York and continue her career
(c) Go into business with Nellie
(d) Marry Thomas Hudson
11. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Teacher in Boise
(b) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(c) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
(d) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
12. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Builds another house
(b) Finds another woman
(c) Learns another language
(d) Drinks heavily
13. Who is Susan finally reunited with after Mexico?
(a) Frank Sargeant
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(c) Augusta and Thomas Hudson
14. Who is Ollie's benefactor at St. Paul's?
(a) Dr. Rhinelander
(b) Thomas Hudson
15. Who is Don Gustavo?
(a) The name of the town
(b) Emelita's husband
(c) The host for the Ward visit, and a principal in the mine where Oliver is considering being employed
(d) The name of the horse Susan rides in Mexico
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bradford Burns?
2. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
3. How does Oliver look in the procession of people headed to the mine for inspection?
4. Who is Nellie Linton?
5. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)