|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Learns another language
(b) Finds another woman
(c) Drinks heavily
(d) Builds another house
2. What does Susan discover about her husband one night as he returns from meetings with potential backers in Boise?
(a) He has been drinking and is drunk
(b) He does not know how to read
(c) He has another woman
(d) He has been hiding money from her
3. What is the name of the mine in Boise where Oliver is working while Susan is home in Milton?
(a) The Alexandria
(b) The Wolf's Tooth
(d) The Adelaide
4. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
(a) Boston and New York
(b) London and Berlin
(c) Istanbul and Madrid
(d) Paris and Rome
5. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
(a) Marry Thomas Hudson
(b) Go into business with Nellie
(c) Get an apartment in New York and continue her career
(d) Build a monument to Frank
6. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(b) She calls him on the phone
(c) She tells him in person
(d) She sends him a telegram
7. How does Susan occupy her time while Oliver and the others are inspecting the mine?
(a) She takes long rides in the country
(b) She watches television
(c) She works on her illustrations and writing
(d) She assists Emelita in cleaning the house
8. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
(a) Teaching the town children
(b) Sewing quilts and selling them in Boise
(c) Writing novels and continuing her illustrations for books and magazines
(d) Doing portraits for money
9. What is the conclusion of the discussion between Oliver and Susan in Mexico?
(a) They must return to Santa Cruz
(b) The must return to New Almaden
(c) They cannot stay in Mexico and cannot go back to Leadville.
(d) They must stay in Mexico
10. What happened to Frank Sargeant?
(a) He ran off with Agnes
(b) He ran off with Susan
(c) He shot himself in the head
(d) He married Nellie
11. What are the names of the Ward children?
(a) Rodman, Ollie and Susan
(b) Susan, Betsy and Bessie
(c) Ollie, Betsy and Agnes
(d) Ollie, Nellie and Elliott
12. What surprise does Oliver have for Susan?
(a) He has bought her some flowers
(b) He has brought her family from MIlton
(c) He has built her a house on the mesa
(d) He has learned a new language
13. What does Shelley ask Lyman?
(a) If he is interested in her mother
(b) If he will marry her
(c) If he will loan her money
(d) If she should go back with Larry and live in the commune
14. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
(a) Oliver could smell smoke from a cigarette
(b) Oliver had come back early and seen them
(c) Nellie had told Oliver someone was there
(d) Frank left his gloves on the rail
15. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
(c) Teacher in Boise
(d) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
Short Answer Questions
1. What is their cook's name?
2. Who is watching the ballgame with Lyman when Ellen appears?
3. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
4. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
5. What is the next mining job for Oliver?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)