|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is their cook's name?
(a) Robert Mancel
(b) Hop Sing
(c) Charley Wan
(d) Julia Child
2. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) His grandmother, Susan Ward
(c) The state of Colorado
(d) Frank Sargeant
3. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She calls him on the phone
(b) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(c) She tells him in person
(d) She sends him a telegram
4. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
(a) Paris and Rome
(b) Istanbul and Madrid
(c) Boston and New York
(d) London and Berlin
5. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
(c) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
(d) Teacher in Boise
6. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver was not a nice person
(b) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(c) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(d) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
7. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Builds another house
(b) Learns another language
(c) Drinks heavily
(d) Finds another woman
8. Who is Bradford Burns?
(a) A fellow writer
(b) A friend of Augusta's
(c) A lawyer who files claims on land belonging to Augusta & Thomas, and to Bessie and John
(d) One of Frank's friends
9. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
(a) It is closer to Oliver's work
(b) Their financial backers have pulled out support.
(c) The family is shunned from Boise
(d) Oliver wants to build a church
10. Why does Oliver begin looking for another job?
(a) The company he is working for has no insurance
(b) He is bored with his present job
(c) He has been fired
(d) A lawsuit has stopped all work on the mine he has been working
11. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Graduating from high school
(b) Knowing what you have to accept.
(c) Getting a degree
(d) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
12. What brings her back to the canyon in Idaho?
(a) Oliver has found new backing for the irrigation project
(b) She runs out of money
(c) The town has asked her to return
(d) Frank has asked her to meet him there
13. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
14. Who is Nellie Linton?
(a) Susan's mother
(b) A teacher and nanny from England who lives with the Wards in the canyon
(c) Augusta's nanny
(d) Lizzie's mother
15. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
(a) To determine whether reports of a rich vein of silver is true
(b) To become a citizen of Mexico
(c) To locate a missing engineer
(d) To buy property
Short Answer Questions
1. How is this project funded?
2. Lyman is thinking about his wife in this chapter. What is her name?
3. What surprise does Oliver have for Susan?
4. After several years of waiting for financial backers, what happens to Frank and Wiley?
5. What task has Oliver given to Susan while he is gone?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)