|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oliver begin looking for another job?
(a) He has been fired
(b) He is bored with his present job
(c) A lawsuit has stopped all work on the mine he has been working
(d) The company he is working for has no insurance
2. Who is Susan finally reunited with after Mexico?
(a) Frank Sargeant
(b) Augusta and Thomas Hudson
(d) Mrs. Elliott
3. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
(a) Frank Sargeant
(c) Mrs. Elliott
4. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
5. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
(a) Frank left his gloves on the rail
(b) Oliver could smell smoke from a cigarette
(c) Nellie had told Oliver someone was there
(d) Oliver had come back early and seen them
6. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
(a) 8 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 7 years
(d) 2 years
7. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Getting a degree
(b) Knowing what you have to accept.
(c) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(d) Graduating from high school
8. What does Susan tell Augusta and Thomas that she has not told her husband yet?
(a) She is getting divorced
(b) She has sold his elk head
(c) She has sold a book
(d) She is carrying their second child
9. What has happened to the irrigation project?
(a) It is succeeding beyond expectations
(b) It was engineered incorrectly
(c) It has been taken over by the government
(d) The financial backing has stopped again
10. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She calls him on the phone
(b) She tells him in person
(c) She sends him a telegram
(d) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
11. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(b) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(c) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(d) Oliver was not a nice person
12. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) His grandmother, Susan Ward
(c) The state of Colorado
(d) Frank Sargeant
13. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
(a) Builds another house
(b) Learns another language
(c) Finds another woman
(d) Drinks heavily
14. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Hibernate for the winter
(b) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
(c) Get jobs in other cities
(d) Move back to town and go on welfare
15. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
(b) He is leaving her all of his money
(c) He is not coming back
(d) He is marrying Nellie
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Susan send Ollie for his education?
2. What is the next mining job for Oliver?
3. Susan says the trip to Mexico was to her, like a trip to two Old World cities - which ones?
4. What does Susan encourage Augusta and Thomas to do?
5. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)