|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(b) He got lost in the plains
(c) He was bitten by a snake
(d) He fell off his horse
2. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Move back to town and go on welfare
(b) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
(c) Hibernate for the winter
(d) Get jobs in other cities
3. Where does Susan take the children when she and Oliver separate this time?
(a) Santa Cruz, CA
(b) Milton, NY
(c) Victoria, British Columbia
(d) Augusta's home
4. Who is watching the ballgame with Lyman when Ellen appears?
(a) Pricey and Frank
(b) Oliver, Susan, and Ollie
(c) Ollie, Agnes and Betsy
(d) Al, Shelley, Ed and Ada
5. Susan is distressed about leaving and encourages her husband to do what?
(a) Find another job in Mexico
(b) Return to the USA without her
(c) Turn in a positive report rather than tell the truth about the mine
(d) Hire Emelita for her maid
6. To what does Shelley compare the commune?
(a) Living in San Francisco
(b) Susan's home on the mesa in Boise Canyon
(c) A native american tribe
(d) Thoreau's Walden
7. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
(a) Damaging her artwork
(b) Fighting in bars
(c) Stealing money
(d) Trusting the wrong people and trusting too much
8. What surprise does Oliver have for Susan?
(a) He has learned a new language
(b) He has built her a house on the mesa
(c) He has bought her some flowers
(d) He has brought her family from MIlton
9. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
(a) 7 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 8 years
(d) 10 years
10. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The name of a cemetary
(b) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
(c) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(d) The feeling just before you pass away
11. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
12. What are the names of the Ward children?
(a) Ollie, Betsy and Agnes
(b) Susan, Betsy and Bessie
(c) Ollie, Nellie and Elliott
(d) Rodman, Ollie and Susan
13. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
(b) His mother told him
(c) It was in a newspaper clipping
(d) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
14. What is the proposition made to her that night?
(a) Mrs. Elliott asks her to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Augusta asks her to run away with her
(c) Frank asks her to run away with him
(d) Nellie asks her to become a teacher and start a school
15. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
(a) Resentment about the new house
(b) Feelings for Frank Sargeant
(d) To see if she is still in love with him
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Oliver upset with Susan in this chapter?
2. How long does Ollie stay away from his family after leaving Boise to attend St. Paul's in 1890?
3. After several years of waiting for financial backers, what happens to Frank and Wiley?
4. What has happened to the irrigation project?
5. Who joins the Wards in the irrigation project as an employee?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)