|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shelley ask Lyman?
(a) If he will marry her
(b) If she should go back with Larry and live in the commune
(c) If he is interested in her mother
(d) If he will loan her money
2. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(b) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(c) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(d) Oliver was not a nice person
3. What task has Oliver given to Susan while he is gone?
(a) To find a house if he decides to take the job
(b) To write to her family for money
(c) To spy on Emelita
(d) To buy some pots
4. Who is watching the ballgame with Lyman when Ellen appears?
(a) Pricey and Frank
(b) Oliver, Susan, and Ollie
(c) Ollie, Agnes and Betsy
(d) Al, Shelley, Ed and Ada
5. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) The state of Colorado
(c) His grandmother, Susan Ward
(d) Frank Sargeant
6. What does Susan intend to do when she returns to the East Coast after Frank's death?
(a) Go into business with Nellie
(b) Marry Thomas Hudson
(c) Build a monument to Frank
(d) Get an apartment in New York and continue her career
7. How does Oliver look in the procession of people headed to the mine for inspection?
(a) Like a prince
(b) Like an Indian
(c) Out of place in his Colorado gear, while eveyrone else is dressed in splendor
(d) Like an eastern gentleman
8. What brings her back to the canyon in Idaho?
(a) She runs out of money
(b) The town has asked her to return
(c) Frank has asked her to meet him there
(d) Oliver has found new backing for the irrigation project
9. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
(a) A letter from Ellen Ward
(b) Divorce papers
(c) A manifesto prepared by Larry for a commune
(d) A letter from Shelley's mother
10. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
(a) The other men laughed at his clothes
(b) There is no money to be made in the mine and the early reports were incorrect.
(c) The mine is full of silver
(d) Don Gustavo fell off his horse
11. What memory does Susan reflect upon as she and Oliver prepare to leave Mexico?
(a) Her wedding night
(b) Her last meeting with Augusta
(c) Her last conversation with Frank Sargeant when he confesses his love for her
(d) A childhood day of play
12. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
(a) If he is a good horseman
(b) If he can write for them
(c) If Susan is in love with him
(d) If he can draw
13. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
(a) Her hand
(b) Her shoulder
(c) Her hair
(d) Her bare foot
14. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Graduating from high school
(b) Getting a degree
(c) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
(d) Knowing what you have to accept.
15. Who is Emelita?
(a) Don Gustavo's sister-in-law and housekeeper
(b) Don Gustavo's pet dog
(c) Oliver's mother
(d) Susan's sister
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
2. Who is Bradford Burns?
3. What is unusual about Ellen's visit?
4. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
5. What does Frank tell Susan he misses the most?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)