|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
(a) He is worried about money
(b) He is too attracted to Shelley
(c) He has been drinking too much in the past two weeks
(d) He is losing interest in his book
2. What does Susan discover about her husband one night as he returns from meetings with potential backers in Boise?
(a) He does not know how to read
(b) He has been drinking and is drunk
(c) He has been hiding money from her
(d) He has another woman
3. Who visits Susan alone at the ranch while her family is out watching the fireworks?
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(c) Frank Sargeant
4. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He fell off his horse
(b) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(c) He got lost in the plains
(d) He was bitten by a snake
5. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
(c) Susan's parents
(d) Susan's sister Bessie
6. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
(a) The family is shunned from Boise
(b) Their financial backers have pulled out support.
(c) It is closer to Oliver's work
(d) Oliver wants to build a church
7. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
(a) He forgot to bring her a present
(b) He has taken on an irrigation project instead of a mining job and did not tell her
(c) He was late arriving from Boise
(d) He brought another elk head with him
8. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing what you have to accept.
(b) Getting a degree
(c) Graduating from high school
(d) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
9. How does Susan occupy her time while Oliver and the others are inspecting the mine?
(a) She watches television
(b) She assists Emelita in cleaning the house
(c) She takes long rides in the country
(d) She works on her illustrations and writing
10. How does the author tell the reader about Susan and Oliver's life after the irrigation project failed?
(a) Lyman tells Ellen the rest of the story
(b) Newspaper clippings about San Francisco
(c) Another letter from Susan to Augusta
(d) Lyman writes a poem
11. How long have the Wards been working on the irrigation project?
(a) 2 years
(b) 8 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 7 years
12. Of what does Oliver accuse Susan?
(a) Being a bad housewife
(b) Not having faith in him
(c) Sleeping with the cook
(d) Stealing money
13. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
(a) To buy property
(b) To determine whether reports of a rich vein of silver is true
(c) To become a citizen of Mexico
(d) To locate a missing engineer
14. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Teacher in Boise
(c) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
(d) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
15. What happens to Pricey?
(a) He dies
(b) He recovers and runs for Senate
(c) Oliver sends him home to England
(d) He stays with Susan and Oliver
Short Answer Questions
1. What task has Oliver given to Susan while he is gone?
2. Where do Oliver, Susan and their traveling party stay on their trip leaving Mexico?
3. Where does Frank touch Susan that makes her yearn for him?
4. Where does Susan send Ollie for his education?
5. Of what does Susan accuse Oliver?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)