|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is this project funded?
(a) They borrow the money from Frank's family
(b) They get a grant from the government
(c) From Susan's earnings as a writer and illustrator
(d) The men find a rich vein of silver in a mine
2. What does Shelley ask Lyman?
(a) If he is interested in her mother
(b) If he will marry her
(c) If he will loan her money
(d) If she should go back with Larry and live in the commune
3. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
(a) It is closer to Oliver's work
(b) The family is shunned from Boise
(c) Their financial backers have pulled out support.
(d) Oliver wants to build a church
4. What does Frank do in an attempt to right matters concerning the jumped claims?
(a) He files a lawsuit
(b) He tries to borrow money from Augusta
(c) He talks to the governor
(d) He asks Burns to sell the Wards back one of the claims
5. How does Susan perceive the move to Boise?
(a) An opportunity to write more
(b) A grand adventure
(c) A chance for her children to grow up in the West
(d) As going into exile
6. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) Frank Sargeant
(c) The state of Colorado
(d) His grandmother, Susan Ward
7. Who is Lyman's father?
8. How old is Ollie when he is first sent away to school?
9. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) His mother told him
(b) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
(c) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
(d) It was in a newspaper clipping
10. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
(b) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(c) Oliver was not a nice person
(d) Oliver was not in love with Susan
11. How does Lyman's wife tell him she is leaving him for his surgeon?
(a) She sends him a telegram
(b) She calls him on the phone
(c) She writes a note and places it on his hospital bed stand.
(d) She tells him in person
12. What does Susan tell Augusta and Thomas that she has not told her husband yet?
(a) She is carrying their second child
(b) She is getting divorced
(c) She has sold his elk head
(d) She has sold a book
13. What does Frank tell Susan he misses the most?
(b) Her stories
(c) Her cooking since they hired a camp cook
(d) When they used to ride away alone and she would draw him
14. What is their cook's name?
(a) Robert Mancel
(b) Julia Child
(c) Charley Wan
(d) Hop Sing
15. What are the names of the Ward children?
(a) Ollie, Betsy and Agnes
(b) Ollie, Nellie and Elliott
(c) Susan, Betsy and Bessie
(d) Rodman, Ollie and Susan
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Oliver have for Susan?
2. Why is Oliver upset with Susan in this chapter?
3. How does Susan occupy her time while Oliver and the others are inspecting the mine?
4. Where did Shelley get the manifesto?
5. Who visits Susan alone at the ranch while her family is out watching the fireworks?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)