Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Ellen's visit?
(a) She brought food with her
(b) She has not aged
(c) It did not really happen, it was a dream that Lyman dreamed
(d) She arrived in a chauffer driven car
2. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
(a) Writing novels and continuing her illustrations for books and magazines
(b) Doing portraits for money
(c) Teaching the town children
(d) Sewing quilts and selling them in Boise
3. Where did Shelley get the manifesto?
(a) Lyman handed it to her
(b) She found it in Ada's purse
(c) Rodman sent it to her
(d) Her boyfriend Larry gave it to her
4. What is Susan's observation about the lives of Mexican women?
(a) They are free to do what they like
(b) They spend all their time in school
(c) They are all ignorant
(d) They are all prisoners in the male-dominated society
5. What brings her back to the canyon in Idaho?
(a) She runs out of money
(b) The town has asked her to return
(c) Frank has asked her to meet him there
(d) Oliver has found new backing for the irrigation project
6. How does Susan occupy her time while Oliver and the others are inspecting the mine?
(a) She works on her illustrations and writing
(b) She takes long rides in the country
(c) She assists Emelita in cleaning the house
(d) She watches television
7. What is Susan doing in this chapter just before Oliver returns home?
(d) cleaning house
8. What does Susan do instead?
(a) Takes a steamer to China
(b) Stops writing and illustrating
(c) Returns to Boise
(d) Moves in with Augusta
9. What observations does Shelley share with Lyman about his grandfather?
(a) Oliver was not a nice person
(b) Everyone in Grass Valley knew Oliver was an alcoholic
(c) Oliver was not in love with Susan
(d) Oliver had borrowed money from eveyrone
10. What news does Oliver have when he returns to Don Gustavo's house after seeing the mine?
(a) The other men laughed at his clothes
(b) The mine is full of silver
(c) There is no money to be made in the mine and the early reports were incorrect.
(d) Don Gustavo fell off his horse
11. What is the proposition made to her that night?
(a) Mrs. Elliott asks her to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Augusta asks her to run away with her
(c) Frank asks her to run away with him
(d) Nellie asks her to become a teacher and start a school
12. What does Shelley ask Lyman?
(a) If he will loan her money
(b) If he is interested in her mother
(c) If he will marry her
(d) If she should go back with Larry and live in the commune
13. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
(b) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(c) The feeling just before you pass away
(d) The name of a cemetary
14. What religion is Susan Ward?
15. How did Ollie almost lose his life in the canyon?
(a) He got lost in the plains
(b) He slipped on a bridge and almost went into the swift, cold river
(c) He fell off his horse
(d) He was bitten by a snake
Short Answer Questions
1. What is their cook's name?
2. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
3. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
4. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
5. When does the Ward family get to move into their new house?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)