|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan ask of Oliver that he cannot give her?
(a) Stop riding horses
(b) Stop being an engineer
(c) Stop drinking
(d) Stop smoking
2. What is Susan doing in this chapter just before Oliver returns home?
(b) cleaning house
3. When does the Ward family get to move into their new house?
(a) New Years Day
(b) Labor Day
(c) April 15th
(d) Christmas Eve
4. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
(a) He has taken on an irrigation project instead of a mining job and did not tell her
(b) He brought another elk head with him
(c) He was late arriving from Boise
(d) He forgot to bring her a present
5. After several years of waiting for financial backers, what happens to Frank and Wiley?
(a) They get other jobs
(b) They join the army
(c) They get married
(d) They begin writing and illustrating
6. Who is Emelita?
(a) Oliver's mother
(b) Don Gustavo's sister-in-law and housekeeper
(c) Don Gustavo's pet dog
(d) Susan's sister
7. What does Frank tell Susan he misses the most?
(a) When they used to ride away alone and she would draw him
(b) Her cooking since they hired a camp cook
(d) Her stories
8. When the money runs out and the group is facing a winter of no work, what do they decide to do?
(a) Hibernate for the winter
(b) Move back to town and go on welfare
(c) Get jobs in other cities
(d) Build a house for Susan, Oliver and their children
9. What does Augusta ask Susan about Frank?
(a) If he is a good horseman
(b) If he can draw
(c) If Susan is in love with him
(d) If he can write for them
10. When Lyman's mother dies, who takes responsibility for his education?
(a) The state of Colorado
(c) His grandmother, Susan Ward
(d) Frank Sargeant
11. Who is Lyman's father?
12. In this book, to what does the Angle of Repose refer?
(a) The pitch at which a stair should be constructed
(b) The name of a cemetary
(c) The feeling just before you pass away
(d) The angle at which a man and woman finally lie down.
13. Who is Ollie's benefactor at St. Paul's?
(a) Thomas Hudson
(d) Dr. Rhinelander
14. Who is Bradford Burns?
(a) A friend of Augusta's
(b) A lawyer who files claims on land belonging to Augusta & Thomas, and to Bessie and John
(c) One of Frank's friends
(d) A fellow writer
15. What is their cook's name?
(a) Hop Sing
(b) Robert Mancel
(c) Charley Wan
(d) Julia Child
Short Answer Questions
1. How is this project funded?
2. Susan is distressed about leaving and encourages her husband to do what?
3. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
4. Who is Susan finally reunited with after Mexico?
5. How old is Shelley in this chapter?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)