|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lyman's main concern at this point
(a) He is losing interest in his book
(b) He is too attracted to Shelley
(c) He has been drinking too much in the past two weeks
(d) He is worried about money
2. How did Oliver know someone had come to see Susan while he and the children were gone?
(a) Nellie had told Oliver someone was there
(b) Frank left his gloves on the rail
(c) Oliver could smell smoke from a cigarette
(d) Oliver had come back early and seen them
3. What is Susan doing in this chapter just before Oliver returns home?
(b) cleaning house
4. What does Lyman do about his dream?
(a) Calls his wife and tells her
(b) Writes about it in a letter to Rodman
(c) Writes it down
(d) Records it on tape
5. What is Frank's "incurable disease"?
(b) His love for Susan
6. What job offer does Oliver finally take?
(a) Teacher in Boise
(b) Superintendent of the New Almaden Mine
(c) Hunting guide for Teddy Roosevelt
(d) Accompanying John Wesley Powell in the Geographical Survey
7. What happened to Frank Sargeant?
(a) He ran off with Agnes
(b) He married Nellie
(c) He ran off with Susan
(d) He shot himself in the head
8. What are the names of the Ward children?
(a) Rodman, Ollie and Susan
(b) Susan, Betsy and Bessie
(c) Ollie, Nellie and Elliott
(d) Ollie, Betsy and Agnes
9. What does Susan like about the Boise Canyon?
(a) The dust and wind
(b) The beauty, the birds and the quiet
(c) The shopping
(d) The people in the town
10. Who is Ollie's benefactor at St. Paul's?
(b) Dr. Rhinelander
(c) Thomas Hudson
11. Who is Susan finally reunited with after Mexico?
(a) Mrs. Elliott
(c) Frank Sargeant
(d) Augusta and Thomas Hudson
12. Why is Oliver upset with Susan in this chapter?
(a) She is seeing Thomas
(b) She is not writing
(c) She did not tell him about the baby until it had already been born
(d) She is writing to Frank Sargeant
13. What does Lyman say is wisdom
(a) Knowing what you have to accept.
(b) Getting a degree
(c) Graduating from high school
(d) Knowing all the answers on Jeopardy
14. What task has Oliver given to Susan while he is gone?
(a) To find a house if he decides to take the job
(b) To buy some pots
(c) To write to her family for money
(d) To spy on Emelita
15. To what does Shelley compare the commune?
(a) A native american tribe
(b) Thoreau's Walden
(c) Living in San Francisco
(d) Susan's home on the mesa in Boise Canyon
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Ward family have to move from Boise into the canyon?
2. Lyman is thinking about his wife in this chapter. What is her name?
3. As the irrigation project becomes less and less of a reality, Susan writes and illustrates more. What does Oliver do to relieve his frustration?
4. What sort of paperwork does Shelley give Lyman to read?
5. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)