|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What odd presents did Oliver send from Leadville to Susan and Ollie in Milton?
(a) A Christmas tree and a puppy
(b) Beaver skins and a gigantic elk head
(c) Twenty-four canaries
(d) Liquor and candy
2. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) She is allergic to mine dust
(b) Susan wants to travel
(c) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
(d) Susan thinks engineering is boring
3. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan is unable to understand the situation
(b) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(c) Susan has a hearing problem
(d) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
4. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(a) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
(b) with Oliver
(c) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
5. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver during this time in New Almaden?
(a) She believes he compares favorably with Thomas
(b) She considers an immediate divorce
(c) She admires him for his handiness and intelligence, but is dismayed by his lack of ambition and business judgement.
(d) She is in love and sees no faults
6. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(b) Because she wanted him to continue working there
(c) Because he turned down the severance pay
(d) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
7. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Susan is in love with another man
(c) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(d) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
8. Oliver has news for Susan when he returns to Santa Cruz - what is it?
(a) He has found them another place to live
(b) He has found a job in Milton New York
(c) He has successfully invented hydraulic cement
(d) He is moving the family to Bolivia
9. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
(a) The Leadville children think it is haunted
(b) It is located near the train station
(c) Susan's wit, conversational abilities and homemaking skills make it a welcome gathering spot for a wide variety of cultures and people.
(d) It has no signifigance whatsoever
10. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
11. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
(a) She falls in love with the gardener
(b) She goes back east and divorces Oliver
(c) She spends her time reading and ignoring the household duties
(d) She begins a career as an illustrator for books and magazines
12. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) House trailer
(b) A section of a boardinghouse
(c) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
(d) Tumble down shack
13. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(b) Oliver's boss
(c) Susan's editor
(d) Ollie's childhood friend
14. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
(a) Thomas is severely ill
(b) Her sister Bessie is ill
(c) Augusta has passed away
(d) Her mother is expecting a baby
15. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
(a) That she is loud and brazen, completely different from his grandmother who was genteel and always dressed impeccably
(b) that she is shy and boring
(c) that she will steal his story ideas and write her own book
(d) that she is attractive and fun
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lizzie?
2. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
3. How does Susan view Lizzie?
4. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
5. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)