|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pricey?
(a) Susan's pet name for her wagon
(b) The gardener
(c) Susan's horse
(d) Oliver's clerk from England
2. What is Lyman's fear?
(a) That Ada will fall down the stairs while carrying him
(b) Shelley will leave with Larry
(c) That his son will place him into an institution and take away his freedom.
(d) Ed will accidentally hurt himself
3. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
(a) Augusta has passed away
(b) Her sister Bessie is ill
(c) Her mother is expecting a baby
(d) Thomas is severely ill
4. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan is unable to understand the situation
(b) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(c) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
(d) Susan has a hearing problem
5. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
(b) Frank Sargeant
(c) Mr. King
(d) Mrs. Elliott
6. There is trouble in Leadville with Oliver's claim. What has happened?
(a) He has worked the wrong claim
(b) He filed it incorrectly
(c) Frank has stolen it from him
(d) Another company has tried to jump his claim
7. How does Susan view Lizzie?
(a) Stong, patient, resilient mother who has accepted her conditions well.
(b) A competitor for Oliver's attention
(c) A noisy, bothersome helpmate
(d) A thief
8. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
9. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
(a) She is the daughter of Ada, the Housekeeper and becomes Lyman's transcriptionist
(b) Lyman's longtime girlfriend
(c) The gardener's wife
(d) Ada's lesbian lover
10. What does Larry send to Shelley, care of Lyman?
(a) 24 canaries
(b) A bottle of scotch
(c) A car
(d) a wedding ring
11. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(b) She writes a cookbook
(c) She is a teacher
(d) She manages a brothel in Milton
12. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She considers them boring
(b) She does not speak their language
(c) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(d) She lives too far away
13. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(b) Whining and indecisiveness
(c) Fear of change
(d) Submission and resignation
14. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is cheating on his wife
(b) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(c) He is a good man with a generous heart
(d) He owes money to the company
15. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(b) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(c) Because she wanted him to continue working there
(d) Because he turned down the severance pay
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
2. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
3. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
4. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
5. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)