|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
(a) Her parents have kidnapped him
(b) Augusta has asked to keep him
(c) He has refused to come see his father
(d) He has taken ill and needs to recover
2. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She manages a brothel in Milton
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She writes a cookbook
(d) She is a teacher
3. How is this chapter different from others, from the perspective of the Ward marriage?
(a) It is written from the point of view of the baby
(b) It is shorter than the others
(c) Shelley wrote it
(d) Lyman is allowing the intimacy of a young married couple to be shown
4. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
(a) He is not writing for a modern reader, but as a way to find out more about himself through his family history.
(b) She does not express her suggestions well.
(c) He is jealous of her writing abilities
(d) He does not understand her meaning
5. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(a) with Oliver
(b) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
(d) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
6. What does Susan encourage Oliver to do instead of moving their family to another country?
(a) Become a salesman for Sears
(b) Become a writer like her
(c) Continue trying to invent hydraulic cement
(d) Become a hotel manager
7. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) Milton, New York
(b) New York City, New York
(c) San Francisco
(d) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
8. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) Milton, NY
(b) San Francisco, CA
(c) Houston, TX
(d) New Almaden, California
9. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(b) Because he turned down the severance pay
(c) Because she wanted him to continue working there
(d) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
10. Who is Marian Prouse?
(a) The genteel woman sent from Oliver's family in Connecticut to assist Susan in New Almaden with the new baby.
(b) Oliver's sister
(c) An author Susan admires
(d) Augusta's brother
11. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
(b) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(c) Susan is unable to understand the situation
(d) Susan has a hearing problem
12. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
13. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) Susan thinks engineering is boring
(b) Susan wants to travel
(c) She is allergic to mine dust
(d) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
14. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He has found another job
(b) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(c) He was turned down for a promotion
(d) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
15. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
(a) Join the Geological Survey
(b) Run a saloon in Leadville
(c) To write for Harpers Weekly
(d) Become a professor of engineering
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
2. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
3. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
4. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver during this time in New Almaden?
5. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)