|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He was a vegetarian
(b) He abused alcohol
(c) He had been injured in the war.
(d) He had cancer
2. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
(b) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
(c) Because Larry has a bad cold
(d) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
3. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
4. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(b) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(c) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(d) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
5. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
(a) Susan opened a restaurant
(b) Susan went down into the mine
(c) Oliver had an affair
(d) Augusta came to see Susan
6. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Milton, New York
(c) New York City, New York
(d) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
7. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She considers them boring
(b) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(c) She lives too far away
(d) She does not speak their language
8. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) Houston, TX
(b) San Francisco, CA
(c) Milton, NY
(d) New Almaden, California
9. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
(a) Ada's nightly ministrations
(b) The highway noise
(c) Shelley's arrival in the afternoons to work for him
(d) The ball games
10. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
(b) Santa Cruz
(c) Deadwood in the Black Hills of the Dakotas
(d) New Almaden
11. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(b) He is Shelley's husband
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
12. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(b) He is a good man with a generous heart
(c) He owes money to the company
(d) He is cheating on his wife
13. What is Lyman's fear?
(a) Ed will accidentally hurt himself
(b) Shelley will leave with Larry
(c) That Ada will fall down the stairs while carrying him
(d) That his son will place him into an institution and take away his freedom.
14. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Writing her memoirs
(b) Studying Spanish
(c) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
(d) Writing a book about her grandparents
15. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
(a) To buy the boardinghouse
(b) Building a mansion in Santa Cruz that rivals Augusta's home in New York and a permanent home
(c) To take a cruise around the world
(d) To buy a large diamond ring
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lyman Ward return to his family home?
2. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
3. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
4. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
5. Who is Frank Sargeant?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)