|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) New York City, New York
(b) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
(c) Milton, New York
(d) San Francisco
2. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) A section of a boardinghouse
(b) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
(c) Tumble down shack
(d) House trailer
3. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(b) Leadville is smaller
(c) Leadville is in the United States
(d) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
4. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) Lyman has no experience in writing
(b) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(c) Shelley suggested this form to him
(d) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
5. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Susan's employer
(b) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Frank's father
6. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
(a) They get injured, lose their wagon, and stay with friends
(b) They run out of food, meet Indians, and sleep in a tent
(c) The Wards were almost driven off the mountain by a stage, one of the horses pulling their wagon died, and their reservation at the hotel was cancelled.
(d) They got frostbite, robbed, and lost
7. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan is unable to understand the situation
(b) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(c) Susan has a hearing problem
(d) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
8. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
(a) Compassion for those less fortunate, decency,misplaced loyalty, principals, lack of good business judgement, more of a dreamer
(b) Ignorance and selfishness
(c) Greed and avarice
(d) Snobbery and high handed behavior
9. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
(a) Afraid to take chances.
(b) Wealthy and selfish.
(c) Boring and untalented.
(d) Tough, resilient, creative and enduring.
10. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
(b) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
(c) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
(d) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
11. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
(b) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
(c) Because she hates the East Coast
(d) Because she is expecting his child
12. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
(a) Mrs. Elliott
(b) Mr. King
(d) Frank Sargeant
13. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(b) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(c) He has found another job
(d) He was turned down for a promotion
14. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Oliver has lost his job
(b) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(c) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(d) Oliver has an opium habit
15. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(b) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(c) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(d) Susan is in love with another man
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
2. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
3. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
4. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
5. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)