|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
(a) Rodman is getting married again
(b) Lyman's wife, Ellen, wants to see him
(c) Rodman wants to live in Grass Valley with Lyman
(d) Rodman wants to borrow money
2. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Larry has a bad cold
(b) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
(c) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
(d) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
3. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(b) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(c) An argument about what to have for dinner
(d) A conversation about television
4. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Oliver's boss
(b) Susan's editor
(c) Ollie's childhood friend
(d) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
5. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
(a) It allows the author to cover the time Oliver spent in Deadwood without the usual narration or correspondence plot devices.
(b) To test Lyman's mental faculties
(c) To remind the reader that Rodman and Lyman are related
(d) To show Rodman's interest in his father's book
6. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Submission and resignation
(b) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(c) Fear of change
(d) Whining and indecisiveness
7. How is this chapter different from others, from the perspective of the Ward marriage?
(a) It is written from the point of view of the baby
(b) It is shorter than the others
(c) Lyman is allowing the intimacy of a young married couple to be shown
(d) Shelley wrote it
8. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(b) with Oliver
(c) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
(d) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
9. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She manages a brothel in Milton
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She is a teacher
(d) She writes a cookbook
10. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
(a) It has been moved to Denver
(b) There is nothing to mine there
(c) Ownership has been questioned and it is tied up in litigation.
(d) An explosion closed the mine
11. Where did Oliver live while he was waiting for his house to be finished?
(a) In a car
(b) With friends
(c) In a tent
(d) At Mother Fall's Boardinghouse
12. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He was turned down for a promotion
(b) He has found another job
(c) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(d) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
13. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Studying Spanish
(b) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
(c) Writing her memoirs
(d) Writing a book about her grandparents
14. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is a good man with a generous heart
(b) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(c) He is cheating on his wife
(d) He owes money to the company
15. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(b) Oliver was drinking
(c) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(d) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
2. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
3. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
5. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)