|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
2. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Studying Spanish
(b) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
(c) Writing a book about her grandparents
(d) Writing her memoirs
3. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
(a) Wealthy and selfish.
(b) Boring and untalented.
(c) Afraid to take chances.
(d) Tough, resilient, creative and enduring.
4. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Whining and indecisiveness
(b) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(c) Fear of change
(d) Submission and resignation
5. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver during this time in New Almaden?
(a) She is in love and sees no faults
(b) She considers an immediate divorce
(c) She admires him for his handiness and intelligence, but is dismayed by his lack of ambition and business judgement.
(d) She believes he compares favorably with Thomas
6. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Susan is in love with another man
(c) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(d) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
7. Who is Rodman?
(a) Rodman is Lyman's uncle
(b) Rodman Ward is Lyman's only child, and is a professor at Berkeley
(c) Rodman is an old boyfriend of Shelley
(d) Rodman is a friend of Larry's
8. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Susan's sister
(b) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
(c) Oliver's first wife
(d) Lyman's grand-daughter
9. Who is Marian Prouse?
(a) An author Susan admires
(b) Augusta's brother
(c) The genteel woman sent from Oliver's family in Connecticut to assist Susan in New Almaden with the new baby.
(d) Oliver's sister
10. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is illiterate
(b) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
(c) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(d) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
11. There is trouble in Leadville with Oliver's claim. What has happened?
(a) Another company has tried to jump his claim
(b) He filed it incorrectly
(c) Frank has stolen it from him
(d) He has worked the wrong claim
12. What happened on the day Susan first arrived in Leadville?
(a) Oliver got fired
(b) Two men were hung in front of the courthouse
(c) Frank got married
(d) Colorado statehood was passed
13. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She does not speak their language
(b) She lives too far away
(c) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(d) She considers them boring
14. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
(a) Rodman wants to live in Grass Valley with Lyman
(b) Rodman wants to borrow money
(c) Rodman is getting married again
(d) Lyman's wife, Ellen, wants to see him
15. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
(a) By reminding the reader of the difference between 1970's culture and society the way it was when Susan and Oliver were dating.
(b) By having Shelley read parts of the book out loud to Lyman
(c) By creating a romance between Shelley & Lyman
(d) By showing Shelley's thoughts about Lyman
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan encourage Oliver to do instead of moving their family to another country?
2. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
3. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
4. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
5. What is Susan's new form of income?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)