|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(b) Fear of change
(c) Whining and indecisiveness
(d) Submission and resignation
2. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(b) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(c) Become a boarding house manager
(d) Get rid of Marian the nanny
3. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
4. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She does not speak their language
(b) She lives too far away
(c) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(d) She considers them boring
5. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
(a) The Wards were almost driven off the mountain by a stage, one of the horses pulling their wagon died, and their reservation at the hotel was cancelled.
(b) They get injured, lose their wagon, and stay with friends
(c) They run out of food, meet Indians, and sleep in a tent
(d) They got frostbite, robbed, and lost
6. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
(a) She falls in love with the gardener
(b) She spends her time reading and ignoring the household duties
(c) She begins a career as an illustrator for books and magazines
(d) She goes back east and divorces Oliver
7. Who is Marian Prouse?
(a) Augusta's brother
(b) The genteel woman sent from Oliver's family in Connecticut to assist Susan in New Almaden with the new baby.
(c) Oliver's sister
(d) An author Susan admires
8. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(b) Oliver has lost his job
(c) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(d) Oliver has an opium habit
9. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(b) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(c) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(d) Oliver was drinking
10. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
(a) Compassion for those less fortunate, decency,misplaced loyalty, principals, lack of good business judgement, more of a dreamer
(b) Greed and avarice
(c) Snobbery and high handed behavior
(d) Ignorance and selfishness
11. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(b) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(c) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(d) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
12. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(c) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(d) Susan is in love with another man
13. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
(a) She is falling in love with the mine supervisor
(b) She is back east with Augusta
(c) Her career is growing; she has intelligent conversations with their visitors, and she is pregnant.
(d) She is in a coma
14. What is a recurring plot device used by the author?
(a) Several points of view
(b) Letters from Susan to Augusta and others which move the story along and let readers know what has happened.
15. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
(a) He did send it, but it got lost in the mail
(b) He gambled away the money
(c) He did not have the money to send
(d) He forgot
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
2. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
3. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
4. Who is Lizzie?
5. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)