|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(b) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
(c) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
(d) with Oliver
2. What is Oliver's mining job after Deadwood?
(b) Leadville, Colorado
(c) Milton NY
3. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She considers them boring
(b) She does not speak their language
(c) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(d) She lives too far away
4. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Larry has a bad cold
(b) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
(c) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
(d) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
5. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
(b) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
(c) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
(d) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
6. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(b) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
(c) Susan has a hearing problem
(d) Susan is unable to understand the situation
7. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(b) He is cheating on his wife
(c) He is a good man with a generous heart
(d) He owes money to the company
8. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
(a) He did not have the money to send
(b) He forgot
(c) He did send it, but it got lost in the mail
(d) He gambled away the money
9. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
(a) Her sister Bessie is ill
(b) Her mother is expecting a baby
(c) Thomas is severely ill
(d) Augusta has passed away
10. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Milton, New York
(c) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
(d) New York City, New York
11. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
(a) That he will move west
(b) That he will ask her to marry him, or at least stay single so she, Thomas, and Augusta will be an eternal threesome.
(c) That he will buy her family's home so she can move the entire family west
(d) That he will purchase a horse for her
12. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She is a teacher
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She writes a cookbook
(d) She manages a brothel in Milton
13. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He is Shelley's husband
(b) He saved Lyman's life
(c) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(d) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
14. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) Asleep in their bed
(c) Critically injured from a beating
(d) At the local tavern
15. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
(a) It has no signifigance whatsoever
(b) The Leadville children think it is haunted
(c) It is located near the train station
(d) Susan's wit, conversational abilities and homemaking skills make it a welcome gathering spot for a wide variety of cultures and people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
2. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
3. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
4. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
5. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)