|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oliver's mining job after Deadwood?
(a) Leadville, Colorado
(b) Milton NY
2. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(b) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He is Shelley's husband
3. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
(a) 8 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 10 years
4. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
(a) To buy a large diamond ring
(b) To buy the boardinghouse
(c) To take a cruise around the world
(d) Building a mansion in Santa Cruz that rivals Augusta's home in New York and a permanent home
5. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
(a) Inside a mine
(b) On a train headed west
(c) In an elevator
(d) At a high society party
6. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
(b) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(c) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
(d) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
7. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(b) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(c) A conversation about television
(d) An argument about what to have for dinner
8. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) Susan thinks engineering is boring
(b) She is allergic to mine dust
(c) Susan wants to travel
(d) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
9. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
(b) San Francisco
(c) New York City, New York
(d) Milton, New York
10. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Writing a book about her grandparents
(b) Writing her memoirs
(c) Studying Spanish
(d) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
11. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is cheating on his wife
(b) He is a good man with a generous heart
(c) He owes money to the company
(d) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
12. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
(a) Ownership has been questioned and it is tied up in litigation.
(b) An explosion closed the mine
(c) There is nothing to mine there
(d) It has been moved to Denver
13. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) Asleep in their bed
(b) At the local tavern
(c) Critically injured from a beating
14. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Grass Valley?
(a) Susan Ward
(b) Ada's ex-husband
(c) Shelley's husband Larry
(d) Mark Twain
15. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
(b) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
(c) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
(d) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a recurring plot device used by the author?
2. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
3. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
4. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
5. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)