|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
(b) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
(c) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
(d) Because Larry has a bad cold
2. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
(a) She does not express her suggestions well.
(b) He is not writing for a modern reader, but as a way to find out more about himself through his family history.
(c) He is jealous of her writing abilities
(d) He does not understand her meaning
3. Oliver has news for Susan when he returns to Santa Cruz - what is it?
(a) He has found a job in Milton New York
(b) He has found them another place to live
(c) He is moving the family to Bolivia
(d) He has successfully invented hydraulic cement
4. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
(a) Augusta came to see Susan
(b) Susan went down into the mine
(c) Susan opened a restaurant
(d) Oliver had an affair
5. How does Susan view Lizzie?
(a) A noisy, bothersome helpmate
(b) A thief
(c) A competitor for Oliver's attention
(d) Stong, patient, resilient mother who has accepted her conditions well.
6. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(b) He was turned down for a promotion
(c) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(d) He has found another job
7. What sad news does Augusta's first letter to Susan in New Almaden include?
(a) Thomas has passed away
(b) Thomas has lost his job
(c) Augusta and Thomas are divorcing
(d) Augusta and Thomas's baby died of diptheria
8. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She is a teacher
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She writes a cookbook
(d) She manages a brothel in Milton
9. Why does Lyman Ward return to his family home?
(a) To serve as a marriage counselor to Ada.
(b) To start a relationship with Shelley Rasmussen.
(c) To escape from the present and explore his family's history for answers to his own life.
(d) To drink beer and watch television all day long.
10. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
(a) The ball games
(b) The highway noise
(c) Ada's nightly ministrations
(d) Shelley's arrival in the afternoons to work for him
11. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
(a) They run out of food, meet Indians, and sleep in a tent
(b) The Wards were almost driven off the mountain by a stage, one of the horses pulling their wagon died, and their reservation at the hotel was cancelled.
(c) They get injured, lose their wagon, and stay with friends
(d) They got frostbite, robbed, and lost
12. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He had been injured in the war.
(b) He abused alcohol
(c) He had cancer
(d) He was a vegetarian
13. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(b) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(c) Become a boarding house manager
(d) Get rid of Marian the nanny
14. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(b) An argument about what to have for dinner
(c) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(d) A conversation about television
15. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(b) He is Shelley's husband
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lizzie?
2. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
3. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
4. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
5. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)