|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
(a) Greed and avarice
(b) Snobbery and high handed behavior
(c) Ignorance and selfishness
(d) Compassion for those less fortunate, decency,misplaced loyalty, principals, lack of good business judgement, more of a dreamer
2. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
(b) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
(c) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
(d) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
3. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
(a) She is in a coma
(b) Her career is growing; she has intelligent conversations with their visitors, and she is pregnant.
(c) She is back east with Augusta
(d) She is falling in love with the mine supervisor
4. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
(a) that she will steal his story ideas and write her own book
(b) that she is attractive and fun
(c) That she is loud and brazen, completely different from his grandmother who was genteel and always dressed impeccably
(d) that she is shy and boring
5. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
(a) To buy a large diamond ring
(b) To take a cruise around the world
(c) To buy the boardinghouse
(d) Building a mansion in Santa Cruz that rivals Augusta's home in New York and a permanent home
6. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She lives too far away
(b) She considers them boring
(c) She does not speak their language
(d) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
7. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) Asleep in their bed
(c) Critically injured from a beating
(d) At the local tavern
8. There is trouble in Leadville with Oliver's claim. What has happened?
(a) Another company has tried to jump his claim
(b) He has worked the wrong claim
(c) Frank has stolen it from him
(d) He filed it incorrectly
9. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
(a) He forgot
(b) He gambled away the money
(c) He did not have the money to send
(d) He did send it, but it got lost in the mail
10. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(b) Get rid of Marian the nanny
(c) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(d) Become a boarding house manager
11. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
(b) She is allergic to mine dust
(c) Susan thinks engineering is boring
(d) Susan wants to travel
12. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
(a) It is a shortened version of his first name, Oliver, and saves from being confused with his father in the story.
(b) It is short for Olivia
(c) Because Lizzie cannot pronounce the baby's name
(d) It was the name of Susan's childhood friend
13. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(b) Oliver has an opium habit
(c) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(d) Oliver has lost his job
14. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Ollie's childhood friend
(b) Oliver's boss
(c) Susan's editor
(d) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
15. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(b) Because he turned down the severance pay
(c) Because she wanted him to continue working there
(d) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
2. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
3. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
4. What does Lyman consider to be the only intrusion to the routine of his days in Grass Valley?
5. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)