|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Frank's father
(b) Oliver's boss
(c) Susan's employer
(d) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
2. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) Milton, New York
(b) San Francisco
(c) New York City, New York
(d) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
3. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
(b) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(c) Leadville is smaller
(d) Leadville is in the United States
4. What does Larry send to Shelley, care of Lyman?
(a) 24 canaries
(b) A bottle of scotch
(c) A car
(d) a wedding ring
5. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
(a) Rodman wants to live in Grass Valley with Lyman
(b) Rodman wants to borrow money
(c) Lyman's wife, Ellen, wants to see him
(d) Rodman is getting married again
6. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
(b) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
(c) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
(d) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
7. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) Lyman has no experience in writing
(b) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(c) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(d) Shelley suggested this form to him
8. What was the weather like on the trip to New Almaden?
(a) pleasantly warm
(b) Icy and cold
(c) Cool and breezy
(d) Hot and dusty
9. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
(a) An explosion closed the mine
(b) There is nothing to mine there
(c) It has been moved to Denver
(d) Ownership has been questioned and it is tied up in litigation.
10. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) Susan wants to travel
(b) Susan thinks engineering is boring
(c) She is allergic to mine dust
(d) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
11. Where did Oliver live while he was waiting for his house to be finished?
(a) In a car
(b) At Mother Fall's Boardinghouse
(c) With friends
(d) In a tent
12. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(b) She writes a cookbook
(c) She manages a brothel in Milton
(d) She is a teacher
13. What does Susan encourage Oliver to do instead of moving their family to another country?
(a) Continue trying to invent hydraulic cement
(b) Become a hotel manager
(c) Become a writer like her
(d) Become a salesman for Sears
14. What is a recurring plot device used by the author?
(b) Letters from Susan to Augusta and others which move the story along and let readers know what has happened.
(d) Several points of view
15. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Submission and resignation
(b) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(c) Fear of change
(d) Whining and indecisiveness
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
2. Who is Rodman?
3. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
4. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
5. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)