|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Susan is in love with another man
(c) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(d) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
2. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Get rid of Marian the nanny
(b) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(c) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(d) Become a boarding house manager
3. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) A conversation about television
(b) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(c) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(d) An argument about what to have for dinner
4. Who is Marian Prouse?
(a) An author Susan admires
(b) The genteel woman sent from Oliver's family in Connecticut to assist Susan in New Almaden with the new baby.
(c) Oliver's sister
(d) Augusta's brother
5. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(b) Lyman has no experience in writing
(c) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(d) Shelley suggested this form to him
6. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because she hates the East Coast
(b) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
(c) Because she is expecting his child
(d) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
7. Why does Lyman Ward return to his family home?
(a) To drink beer and watch television all day long.
(b) To start a relationship with Shelley Rasmussen.
(c) To escape from the present and explore his family's history for answers to his own life.
(d) To serve as a marriage counselor to Ada.
8. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Oliver's boss
(b) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(c) Susan's editor
(d) Ollie's childhood friend
9. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
10. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) Leadville is smaller
(b) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
(c) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(d) Leadville is in the United States
11. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
(b) Santa Cruz
(c) New Almaden
(d) Deadwood in the Black Hills of the Dakotas
12. What is Susan's attitude towards Oliver during this time in New Almaden?
(a) She considers an immediate divorce
(b) She is in love and sees no faults
(c) She believes he compares favorably with Thomas
(d) She admires him for his handiness and intelligence, but is dismayed by his lack of ambition and business judgement.
13. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She does not speak their language
(b) She lives too far away
(c) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(d) She considers them boring
14. Why does Lyman call himself a "man of stone"?
(a) Because he is physically unable to move his head from side to side.
(b) He is taking steroids
(c) His family name is Stone
(d) He is mute.
15. When Susan returns home to Milton to spend the winter and get Ollie, what project does she begin?
(a) Writing a book about her grandparents
(b) Studying Spanish
(c) Writing her memoirs
(d) Cleaning the storeroom and attic
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
2. There is trouble in Leadville with Oliver's claim. What has happened?
3. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
4. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
5. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)