|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
(a) He has taken ill and needs to recover
(b) Her parents have kidnapped him
(c) Augusta has asked to keep him
(d) He has refused to come see his father
2. How is this chapter different from others, from the perspective of the Ward marriage?
(a) Shelley wrote it
(b) Lyman is allowing the intimacy of a young married couple to be shown
(c) It is shorter than the others
(d) It is written from the point of view of the baby
3. What does Larry send to Shelley, care of Lyman?
(a) A car
(b) a wedding ring
(c) A bottle of scotch
(d) 24 canaries
4. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
(a) He has a birthday
(b) He gets a horse
(c) He is bitten by a rattlesnake
(d) He becomes ill again
5. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(b) Susan's editor
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Ollie's childhood friend
6. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He saved Lyman's life
(b) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(c) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(d) He is Shelley's husband
7. What is Rodman's reason for his visit to Lyman?
(a) Lyman's wife, Ellen, wants to see him
(b) Rodman wants to borrow money
(c) Rodman wants to live in Grass Valley with Lyman
(d) Rodman is getting married again
8. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Susan's sister
(b) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
(c) Oliver's first wife
(d) Lyman's grand-daughter
9. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
(b) Become a boarding house manager
(c) Get rid of Marian the nanny
(d) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
10. What is Susan's new form of income?
(a) She is a teacher
(b) As an illustrator for a publishing company owned by Hudson
(c) She writes a cookbook
(d) She manages a brothel in Milton
11. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
(b) They did not know what they were doing
(c) They were happy and tanned
(d) They were ignorant and mean
12. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) San Francisco, CA
(b) Milton, NY
(c) New Almaden, California
(d) Houston, TX
13. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
(b) Because Larry has a bad cold
(c) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
(d) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
14. Who is Pricey?
(a) Oliver's clerk from England
(b) The gardener
(c) Susan's pet name for her wagon
(d) Susan's horse
15. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(b) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(c) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(d) Oliver was drinking
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
2. Why does Lyman Ward return to his family home?
3. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
4. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
5. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)