|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(b) Because she wanted him to continue working there
(c) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(d) Because he turned down the severance pay
2. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(b) Oliver has lost his job
(c) Oliver has an opium habit
(d) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
3. Why is everyone concerned about Larry being around Shelley?
(a) Because Larry once threatened to cut Shelley's throat.
(b) Because Larry has a bad cold
(c) Because Shelley is pregnant with Lyman's child
(d) Because Shelley is allergic to Larry's cologne
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He abused alcohol
(b) He had cancer
(c) He had been injured in the war.
(d) He was a vegetarian
5. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Oliver's first wife
(b) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
(c) Susan's sister
(d) Lyman's grand-daughter
6. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) Leadville is in the United States
(b) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
(c) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(d) Leadville is smaller
7. How is this chapter different from others, from the perspective of the Ward marriage?
(a) Shelley wrote it
(b) It is written from the point of view of the baby
(c) Lyman is allowing the intimacy of a young married couple to be shown
(d) It is shorter than the others
8. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
(a) Lyman's longtime girlfriend
(b) She is the daughter of Ada, the Housekeeper and becomes Lyman's transcriptionist
(c) Ada's lesbian lover
(d) The gardener's wife
9. This chapter highlights several of Oliver's traits - what are some of them?
(a) Compassion for those less fortunate, decency,misplaced loyalty, principals, lack of good business judgement, more of a dreamer
(b) Ignorance and selfishness
(c) Greed and avarice
(d) Snobbery and high handed behavior
10. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
(a) An explosion closed the mine
(b) There is nothing to mine there
(c) It has been moved to Denver
(d) Ownership has been questioned and it is tied up in litigation.
11. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
(a) His love scenes between Oliver and Susan are not graphic enough
(b) He is not descriptive enough about scenery
(c) It is not easy to read
(d) He uses too many big words
12. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(a) with Oliver
(b) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
(d) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
13. Who is Clarence King?
(a) Director of the Geological Survey and a writer
(b) Oliver's boss
(c) Susan's employer
(d) Frank's father
14. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
(a) Frank is 9 years older than Susan
(b) They are the same age
(c) Susan is 15 years younger than Frank
(d) Susan is 9 years older than Frank
15. What is a recurring plot device used by the author?
(b) Letters from Susan to Augusta and others which move the story along and let readers know what has happened.
(d) Several points of view
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
2. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
3. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
4. Who is Pricey?
5. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)