|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because he turned down the severance pay
(b) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(c) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(d) Because she wanted him to continue working there
2. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(b) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(c) Shelley suggested this form to him
(d) Lyman has no experience in writing
3. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They did not know what they were doing
(b) They were ignorant and mean
(c) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
(d) They were happy and tanned
4. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
(a) Rodman is romantically interested in Shelley
(b) Rodman is afraid Ada will steal Lyman's money
(c) Lyman is disabled and his caretakers are also elderly
(d) Rodman wants to live in Zodiac Cottage by himself
5. Who is Rodman?
(a) Rodman is a friend of Larry's
(b) Rodman is Lyman's uncle
(c) Rodman is an old boyfriend of Shelley
(d) Rodman Ward is Lyman's only child, and is a professor at Berkeley
6. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because she hates the East Coast
(b) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
(c) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
(d) Because she is expecting his child
7. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) At the local tavern
(b) Asleep in their bed
(c) Critically injured from a beating
8. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is cheating on his wife
(b) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(c) He is a good man with a generous heart
(d) He owes money to the company
9. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Oliver has lost his job
(b) Oliver has an opium habit
(c) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(d) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
10. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(b) She considers them boring
(c) She does not speak their language
(d) She lives too far away
11. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
(a) Allow Oliver to return to engineering work rather than concentrate on marketing cement?
(b) Get rid of Marian the nanny
(c) Become a boarding house manager
(d) Leave the baby with her when they move to Bolivia
12. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(b) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(c) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(d) Oliver was drinking
13. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
14. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
(b) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(c) An argument about what to have for dinner
(d) A conversation about television
15. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) Houston, TX
(b) San Francisco, CA
(c) Milton, NY
(d) New Almaden, California
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
2. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
3. Who is Ferd Ward?
4. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
5. Why does Lyman resist Shelley's suggestions?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)