|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is charged with the care of Pricey after his injury?
2. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She does not speak their language
(b) She lives too far away
(c) She considers them boring
(d) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
3. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because she hates the East Coast
(b) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
(c) Because she is expecting his child
(d) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
4. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Oliver's first wife
(b) Susan's sister
(c) Lyman's grand-daughter
(d) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
5. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(b) Ollie's childhood friend
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Susan's editor
6. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) Tumble down shack
(b) House trailer
(c) A section of a boardinghouse
(d) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
7. What is the bad news her mother tells her on the first day home?
(a) Her sister Bessie is ill
(b) Augusta has passed away
(c) Her mother is expecting a baby
(d) Thomas is severely ill
8. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(b) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
(c) Because he is illiterate
(d) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
9. What odd presents did Oliver send from Leadville to Susan and Ollie in Milton?
(a) A Christmas tree and a puppy
(b) Beaver skins and a gigantic elk head
(c) Liquor and candy
(d) Twenty-four canaries
10. Who is Shelley Rasmussen?
(a) Ada's lesbian lover
(b) She is the daughter of Ada, the Housekeeper and becomes Lyman's transcriptionist
(c) The gardener's wife
(d) Lyman's longtime girlfriend
11. Who is Rodman?
(a) Rodman Ward is Lyman's only child, and is a professor at Berkeley
(b) Rodman is Lyman's uncle
(c) Rodman is an old boyfriend of Shelley
(d) Rodman is a friend of Larry's
12. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
(a) Santa Cruz
(b) New Almaden
(d) Deadwood in the Black Hills of the Dakotas
13. Who does Susan kiss in error upon her and Ollie's arrival in Leadville?
(a) Mr. King
(b) Mrs. Elliott
(c) Frank Sargeant
14. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is a good man with a generous heart
(b) He owes money to the company
(c) He is cheating on his wife
(d) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
15. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(b) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(c) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(d) Oliver was drinking
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marian Prouse?
2. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
3. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
4. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
5. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)