Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
(a) Asleep in their bed
(b) Critically injured from a beating
(c) At the local tavern
2. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He was turned down for a promotion
(b) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(c) He has found another job
(d) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
3. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
(a) Become a professor of engineering
(b) Join the Geological Survey
(c) Run a saloon in Leadville
(d) To write for Harpers Weekly
4. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(b) Because he is illiterate
(c) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
(d) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
5. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
(a) Susan wants to travel
(b) She is allergic to mine dust
(c) She wants her family to have a permanent home, as Augusta and Thomas have
(d) Susan thinks engineering is boring
6. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
(a) 8 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 2 years
7. What is the purpose of Rodman's discussion with Lyman concerning Oliver's time at Deadwood?
(a) To test Lyman's mental faculties
(b) To show Rodman's interest in his father's book
(c) To remind the reader that Rodman and Lyman are related
(d) It allows the author to cover the time Oliver spent in Deadwood without the usual narration or correspondence plot devices.
8. What odd presents did Oliver send from Leadville to Susan and Ollie in Milton?
(a) Liquor and candy
(b) Twenty-four canaries
(c) A Christmas tree and a puppy
(d) Beaver skins and a gigantic elk head
9. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
(a) Milton, New York
(b) Santa Cruz, California, to live at Mrs. Elliott's boarding house while Oliver looks for another job
(c) New York City, New York
(d) San Francisco
10. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(b) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(c) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
(d) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
11. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
(a) He has refused to come see his father
(b) He has taken ill and needs to recover
(c) Augusta has asked to keep him
(d) Her parents have kidnapped him
12. What is the age difference between Susan and Frank
(a) Susan is 9 years older than Frank
(b) Frank is 9 years older than Susan
(c) They are the same age
(d) Susan is 15 years younger than Frank
13. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
(a) He gets a horse
(b) He becomes ill again
(c) He has a birthday
(d) He is bitten by a rattlesnake
14. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He had been injured in the war.
(b) He had cancer
(c) He was a vegetarian
(d) He abused alcohol
15. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He is a good man with a generous heart
(b) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(c) He owes money to the company
(d) He is cheating on his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
2. How does the small Ward cabin figure in Leadville society?
3. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
4. The road to Leadville from the train station is long and arduous. What are just a few of the things that happened on the voyage?
5. Who is Marian Prouse?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)