|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
(b) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
(c) Because she is expecting his child
(d) Because she hates the East Coast
2. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
(a) A friend of Susan's aunt, Mrs. Elliott is an outspoken and opinionated woman from Santa Cruz.
(b) A traveling salesperson
(c) Susan's aunt
(d) The midwife
3. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
4. Oliver has news for Susan when he returns to Santa Cruz - what is it?
(a) He is moving the family to Bolivia
(b) He has found them another place to live
(c) He has successfully invented hydraulic cement
(d) He has found a job in Milton New York
5. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
(b) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
(c) Because he is illiterate
(d) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
6. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Ollie's childhood friend
(b) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Susan's editor
7. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
(a) The beginning of an affair between Lyman and Shelley
(b) An argument about what to have for dinner
(c) A conversation about television
(d) A conversation about the difference of victorian era sexual attitudes and those of 1970 hippies.
8. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(b) Shelley suggested this form to him
(c) Lyman has no experience in writing
(d) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
9. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(b) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
10. Oliver is offered a mining job in another country - which one?
11. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(b) He was turned down for a promotion
(c) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(d) He has found another job
12. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
(a) She goes back east and divorces Oliver
(b) She spends her time reading and ignoring the household duties
(c) She falls in love with the gardener
(d) She begins a career as an illustrator for books and magazines
13. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(a) with Oliver
(b) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
(c) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
14. What does Susan encourage Oliver to do instead of moving their family to another country?
(a) Continue trying to invent hydraulic cement
(b) Become a writer like her
(c) Become a salesman for Sears
(d) Become a hotel manager
15. Why is progress stopped in the Argentina mine?
(a) It has been moved to Denver
(b) There is nothing to mine there
(c) Ownership has been questioned and it is tied up in litigation.
(d) An explosion closed the mine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Grass Valley?
2. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
3. Why does Lyman call himself a "man of stone"?
4. Why is Susan intent upon Oliver pursuing a career other than mining?
5. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)