|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between Leadville and New Almaden?
(a) New Almaden is nearer to a big city
(b) Leadville is a growing mining town with visitors from all over the world
(c) Leadville is in the United States
(d) Leadville is smaller
2. What does Oliver tell Susan about his manager at the mine?
(a) He owes money to the company
(b) That he is a cruel man who does not like Oliver and will probably find a way to fire him.
(c) He is a good man with a generous heart
(d) He is cheating on his wife
3. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
(b) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
(c) Susan has a hearing problem
(d) Susan is unable to understand the situation
4. Who is Marian Prouse?
(a) Oliver's sister
(b) An author Susan admires
(c) Augusta's brother
(d) The genteel woman sent from Oliver's family in Connecticut to assist Susan in New Almaden with the new baby.
5. Why does Susan agree to marry Oliver?
(a) Because her father has promised her to Oliver's family
(b) Because she is expecting his child
(c) Because she and Oliver had an understanding, and Thomas has chosen Augusta over her.
(d) Because she hates the East Coast
6. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
7. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Susan's sister
(b) Lyman's grand-daughter
(c) Oliver's first wife
(d) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
8. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
(b) with Oliver
(c) They stay in Santa Cruz with Mrs. Elliott
(d) Back to Milton, New York, to live with Susan's parents
9. Who meets her train when she arrives at her destination?
(a) Her family
(b) Oliver's family
(c) No one
(d) Augusta and Thomas
10. Who is Rodman?
(a) Rodman is a friend of Larry's
(b) Rodman Ward is Lyman's only child, and is a professor at Berkeley
(c) Rodman is Lyman's uncle
(d) Rodman is an old boyfriend of Shelley
11. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Ollie's childhood friend
(b) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(c) Oliver's boss
(d) Susan's editor
12. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) Tumble down shack
(b) House trailer
(c) A section of a boardinghouse
(d) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
13. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
(a) Oliver gives her the wrong address of their new home
(b) Oliver fails to send her train fare to join him in California
(c) Oliver disappears on their wedding night
(d) Oliver says another woman's name at the wedding service
14. What happened on the day Susan first arrived in Leadville?
(a) Oliver got fired
(b) Frank got married
(c) Two men were hung in front of the courthouse
(d) Colorado statehood was passed
15. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
(a) Inside a mine
(b) In an elevator
(c) At a high society party
(d) On a train headed west
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
2. What does the conversation between Lyman and Shelley become after the writing suggestions?
3. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
4. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
5. Who is Pricey?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)