|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
(a) Boring and untalented.
(b) Afraid to take chances.
(c) Tough, resilient, creative and enduring.
(d) Wealthy and selfish.
2. What is the next job offer that Oliver gets?
(a) Join the Geological Survey
(b) Become a professor of engineering
(c) To write for Harpers Weekly
(d) Run a saloon in Leadville
3. Who is Frank Sargeant?
(a) Ollie's childhood friend
(b) Susan's editor
(c) Oliver's assistant in Leadville and becomes a longtime family friend
(d) Oliver's boss
4. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
(a) Deadwood in the Black Hills of the Dakotas
(b) Santa Cruz
(d) New Almaden
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
6. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
(a) He gets a horse
(b) He is bitten by a rattlesnake
(c) He becomes ill again
(d) He has a birthday
7. How does Susan's career expand at this time?
(a) Susan takes in mending and washing clothes for the miners
(b) Susan begins to study engineering
(c) Thomas asks her to be a writer as well as an illustrator.
(d) Susan becomes a model
8. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) House trailer
(b) A section of a boardinghouse
(c) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
(d) Tumble down shack
9. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
(a) They are not famous enough for a non-fiction biography, and it will help him understand them better this way.
(b) Lyman has long wanted to write a romance novel
(c) Lyman has no experience in writing
(d) Shelley suggested this form to him
10. Where is Susan and Oliver's first home?
(a) Milton, NY
(b) Houston, TX
(c) San Francisco, CA
(d) New Almaden, California
11. Why is Susan angry at Oliver?
(a) Because he did not put the toilet seat down
(b) Because Oliver finishes his assignments for the company before departing.
(c) Because he turned down the severance pay
(d) Because she wanted him to continue working there
12. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(b) Oliver has an opium habit
(c) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(d) Oliver has lost his job
13. Why doesn't Ollie come with Susan to Leadville?
(a) He has refused to come see his father
(b) Augusta has asked to keep him
(c) Her parents have kidnapped him
(d) He has taken ill and needs to recover
14. What is Oliver's mining job after Deadwood?
(c) Milton NY
(d) Leadville, Colorado
15. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Whining and indecisiveness
(b) Fear of change
(c) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(d) Submission and resignation
Short Answer Questions
1. Rodman is concerned about his father living alone because
2. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
3. How does Susan view Lizzie?
4. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
5. What was the weather like on the trip to New Almaden?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)