|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 7 | Book 4, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
(a) He caused Lyman to lose his leg
(b) He provides comic relief and helps to flesh out the character of Lyman, son of the richest family in town.
(c) He saved Lyman's life
(d) He is Shelley's husband
2. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
3. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(b) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(c) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(d) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
4. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
(a) Her career is growing; she has intelligent conversations with their visitors, and she is pregnant.
(b) She is falling in love with the mine supervisor
(c) She is in a coma
(d) She is back east with Augusta
5. Why does Lyman call himself a "man of stone"?
(a) He is taking steroids
(b) Because he is physically unable to move his head from side to side.
(c) He is mute.
(d) His family name is Stone
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
2. What is Lyman's fear?
3. Where do the Wards go after New Almaden?
4. How does Susan view Lizzie?
5. Who is Lizzie?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)