|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 7 | Book 4, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) She considers them boring
(b) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(c) She does not speak their language
(d) She lives too far away
2. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) Tumble down shack
(b) House trailer
(c) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
(d) A section of a boardinghouse
3. Why is the baby nicknamed Ollie?
(a) It is a shortened version of his first name, Oliver, and saves from being confused with his father in the story.
(b) It was the name of Susan's childhood friend
(c) Because Lizzie cannot pronounce the baby's name
(d) It is short for Olivia
4. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Grass Valley?
(a) Shelley's husband Larry
(b) Mark Twain
(c) Susan Ward
(d) Ada's ex-husband
5. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
(a) He realizes he cannot do the job satisfactorily
(b) Because he is ordered to tear down a fired man's house, and he refuses to do so.
(c) He was turned down for a promotion
(d) He has found another job
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Elliott give to Susan?
2. Where is Oliver's next mining job?
3. Lyman believes that his grandparents were
4. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
5. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)