|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 6 | Book 2, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(b) She does not speak their language
(c) She lives too far away
(d) She considers them boring
2. What is the reason for the Wards' financial problems when Susan arrives?
(a) Susan has spent too much money on her wardrobe
(b) Oliver has an opium habit
(c) The mine supervisor originally said the improvements to the Ward home would be paid for by the mine, then changed his mind
(d) Oliver has lost his job
3. Where did Oliver live while he was waiting for his house to be finished?
(a) At Mother Fall's Boardinghouse
(b) In a car
(c) With friends
(d) In a tent
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He was a vegetarian
(b) He abused alcohol
(c) He had been injured in the war.
(d) He had cancer
5. Who is Mrs. Elliott?
(a) Susan's aunt
(b) A friend of Susan's aunt, Mrs. Elliott is an outspoken and opinionated woman from Santa Cruz.
(c) A traveling salesperson
(d) The midwife
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
2. What is Susan's first clue that her marriage may not be everything she has dreamed?
3. How does Susan view Lizzie?
4. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
5. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)