|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 6 | Book 2, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lyman originally think of Shelley?
(a) that she will steal his story ideas and write her own book
(b) that she is attractive and fun
(c) That she is loud and brazen, completely different from his grandmother who was genteel and always dressed impeccably
(d) that she is shy and boring
2. What is a good description of the Ward home?
(a) Tumble down shack
(b) Wide veranda, clean and comfortable house
(c) A section of a boardinghouse
(d) House trailer
3. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
(a) That he will move west
(b) That he will buy her family's home so she can move the entire family west
(c) That he will ask her to marry him, or at least stay single so she, Thomas, and Augusta will be an eternal threesome.
(d) That he will purchase a horse for her
4. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
(a) He did not have the money to send
(b) He gambled away the money
(c) He forgot
(d) He did send it, but it got lost in the mail
5. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
(a) In an elevator
(b) On a train headed west
(c) At a high society party
(d) Inside a mine
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author call this period a blissful time for his grandmother?
2. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
3. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
4. Why does Oliver quit the New Almaden mine?
5. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)