|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 2 | Book 2, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
(a) That he will ask her to marry him, or at least stay single so she, Thomas, and Augusta will be an eternal threesome.
(b) That he will purchase a horse for her
(c) That he will buy her family's home so she can move the entire family west
(d) That he will move west
2. Who is Lizzie?
(a) Oliver's first wife
(b) A young woman who Susan brings along to serve as cook and housekeeper in New Almaden
(c) Susan's sister
(d) Lyman's grand-daughter
3. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
(a) By showing Shelley's thoughts about Lyman
(b) By reminding the reader of the difference between 1970's culture and society the way it was when Susan and Oliver were dating.
(c) By having Shelley read parts of the book out loud to Lyman
(d) By creating a romance between Shelley & Lyman
4. What is Susan's main character trait in this chapter?
(a) Resolve, determination and strength in the face of criticism
(b) Fear of change
(c) Whining and indecisiveness
(d) Submission and resignation
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(b) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
(c) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(d) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad news does Augusta's first letter to Susan in New Almaden include?
2. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
3. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
5. Where did Oliver live while he was waiting for his house to be finished?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)