|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 2 | Book 2, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
(a) Oliver does not allow her to mingle with them
(b) She does not speak their language
(c) She considers them boring
(d) She lives too far away
2. How many years after their first meeting do Susan and Oliver wait to marry?
(a) 8 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 2 years
3. How does Susan deal with her frustration?
(a) She goes back east and divorces Oliver
(b) She begins a career as an illustrator for books and magazines
(c) She spends her time reading and ignoring the household duties
(d) She falls in love with the gardener
4. What reason does Augusta give Susan for disliking Oliver?
(a) Because he is illiterate
(b) Because he did not graduate from Harvard
(c) Because he is not from a wealthy family.
(d) Augusta is jealous of Susan's affections for Oliver, and believes Oliver is not good enough for Susan.
5. What is the understanding between Oliver and Susan that develops during their five year correspondence?
(a) That Oliver will be the best man at Susan's wedding to Thomas
(b) That Susan will draw Oliver's likeness for his personal stationery
(c) That Susan will become Oliver's wife
(d) That Susan's family will finance Oliver's projects
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Susan and Oliver first meet?
2. What are Susan's hopes about Thomas Hudson?
3. Why does Lyman begin fictionalizing his grandparents' lives in a novel?
4. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
5. How does the author use Shelley to expand the storyline?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)