|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ollie in this chapter?
(a) He gets a horse
(b) He is bitten by a rattlesnake
(c) He has a birthday
(d) He becomes ill again
2. What does Susan tell Mrs. Elliott that shocks the older woman?
(a) Susan is going to buy the boardinghouse
(b) Susan and Oliver are Hindu
(c) Susan's income from writing and illustrating is the only money the Ward family has at the moment
(d) Susan is in love with another man
3. What was the issue between Susan and Oliver that clouded their trip to Leadville?
(a) Susan wanted to drive the wagon
(b) Oliver had to whip the horses to keep the wagon from going over a cliff, and Susan felt he was being cruel and mean
(c) Oliver would not stop so Susan could draw
(d) Oliver was drinking
4. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
(a) He abused alcohol
(b) He had cancer
(c) He was a vegetarian
(d) He had been injured in the war.
5. What criticism does Shelley offer about Lyman's writing?
(a) His love scenes between Oliver and Susan are not graphic enough
(b) He is not descriptive enough about scenery
(c) It is not easy to read
(d) He uses too many big words
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual event occurred at New Almaden?
2. Why doesn't Susan become friends with any of the people in New Almaden?
3. Why didn't Oliver send the train fare for his wife and her maid?
4. Susan is searching Oliver's eyes to see if he is still drinking. What is Oliver looking for in Susan's eyes?
5. When they arrive at the cabin, where is Pricey?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)