|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lyman first hear of Susan and Oliver's time in Mexico?
(a) It was in a newspaper clipping
(b) His mother told him
(c) He read it in a letter from Susan to Augusta
(d) He was doing a school project about Mexico and his grandmother told him the story.
2. Why does Susan find the advice confusing?
(a) Susan does not speak Mrs. Elliott's language
(b) Susan is unable to understand the situation
(c) Susan has a hearing problem
(d) Mrs. Elliott is recommending Susan make her husband happy, after Mrs. Elliott has endorsed womens rights.
3. Where do Oliver, Susan and their traveling party stay on their trip leaving Mexico?
(a) In caves
(b) At huge mansions along the way, courtesy of Don Gustavo
(c) In a tent
(d) They ride straight through, sleeping while riding
4. What does Frank tell Susan before he leaves the canyon?
(a) He is not coming back
(b) He is marrying Nellie
(c) He is leaving her all of his money
(d) He is still in love with her and cannot bear to see her pregnant again with Oliver's child
5. Why is Susan upset with Oliver?
(a) He brought another elk head with him
(b) He has taken on an irrigation project instead of a mining job and did not tell her
(c) He was late arriving from Boise
(d) He forgot to bring her a present
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan occupy her time during the years the Wards are waiting for financial backing on the irrigation project?
2. Oliver has news for Susan when he returns to Santa Cruz - what is it?
3. Why was Thomas Hudson a frail and sickly man?
4. What memory does Susan reflect upon as she and Oliver prepare to leave Mexico?
5. Who does Frank call on when he goes back east to visit his family?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)