|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, Chapter 2 | Book 5, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Oliver's visit to the Michoacan mine
(a) To become a citizen of Mexico
(b) To determine whether reports of a rich vein of silver is true
(c) To locate a missing engineer
(d) To buy property
2. What is the name of the big black dog that Oliver has for Susan's protection?
3. What is the dream that Susan will lose if the cement is not successful?
(a) To buy a large diamond ring
(b) To take a cruise around the world
(c) Building a mansion in Santa Cruz that rivals Augusta's home in New York and a permanent home
(d) To buy the boardinghouse
4. What was Susan's overall impression of the mine workers?
(a) They were happy and tanned
(b) They appeared to be in a cruel and harsh environment, like a prison
(c) They were ignorant and mean
(d) They did not know what they were doing
5. Who is Emelita?
(a) Susan's sister
(b) Don Gustavo's pet dog
(c) Oliver's mother
(d) Don Gustavo's sister-in-law and housekeeper
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Susan and the baby go when he takes the job?
2. What is a recurring plot device used by the author?
3. Who is Don Gustavo?
4. Why is Al Sutton important to this story?
5. What is a good description of the Ward home?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)