Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2
* Lyman Ward is at Zodiac Cottage in Grass Valley writing a book about his grandparents
* Lyman's son, Rodman, is concerned about Lyman living alone
* Lyman hopes that by studying his grandparents' lives, he might be better able to understand his own
* Susan Boling meets Oliver Ward, the man who will eventually become her husband and Lyman's grandfather
* Oliver leaves for the West but stays in touch with Susan, and the two develop an understanding that they will eventually marry
* Susan continues her friendship with Augusta and Thomas and envisions a long life with these two friends by her side
Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
* Lyman hires Shelly Rasmussen to transcribe his book
* Shelley is separated from her boyfriend/husband Larry, who is a hippie and drug user.
* Shelley is a free-style young woman who shocks Lyman with her behavior and talk
* Thomas proposes to Augusta...
This section contains 2,215 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)