|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Harper was element is essential to the end of civilization?
2. What generally embarrassing ailment does Roy discuss having in Act 1, Scene 6?
3. In what part of the Angel's body has a torn muscle after she wrestles Prior in Act 5, Scene 1?
4. In Act 5, Scene 7, who is Roy Cohn representing in the afterlife?
5. At the beginning of Act 4, Scene 7, Harper ask Joe why he does what during sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the motivations and objectives of Harper Pitt. Her actions seem kinetic and meaningless to Hannah and Joe, but she is driven by something deep and ingrained in her psyche. What drives Harper to gobble Valium and act madly? Cite statements made both by her and by Joe to examine the meaning behind her madness.
Essay Topic 2
Kushner links many seemingly disparate groups together in his play. He seems to imply that all people that find themselves marginalized by their affiliations are bound in some way. Write an essay about this binding force of exclusion from the mainstream, focusing on the Mormon, Jewish, and homosexual communities. Use examples from the text of members of these groups interacting and finding common ground to support the thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)