|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world leader is Louis discussing at the beginning of the Epilogue?
2. By Act 4, Scene 4, how long has Hannah been trying to get hold of Joe since coming to New York?
3. In Act 5, Scene 7, what does Roy Cohn want to know about the Judge?
4. Hoe does the Angel's communication with Heaven manifest itself onstage?
5. What does Joe say he sees when he looks at Harper in Act 4, Scene 7?
Essay Topic 1
Some critics characterize Angels in America as a magical realist work. In magical realism, the realistic and the paranormal exist at the same time in the narrative. More importantly, though, in a magical realist work the characters accept these paranormal elements without question. Write an essay detailing whether you think Angels in America is a magical realist work. Use specific examples from the text and interpretation of these examples to defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
The New York of Tony Kushner's play is a city of interlocking relationships that connect everyone to everyone else. Write an essay about the convoluted ways that people find each other and affect each other's lives. Focus on the connection these people have to each other and what they become in each other's presence:
Part 1) Roy and Belize
Part 2) Louis and Joe
Part 3) Hannah and Prior
Essay Topic 3
Prior Walter is Tony Kushner's hero in the Angels in America. Write an essay delineating what qualities of Prior Walter make him heroic. The first half of the essay should sketch out the character aspects that make a hero. In the second half, cite specific actions taken and statements made by Prior that would conform with this model. What is Prior's great heroic act in the play?
This section contains 2,066 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)