|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world leader is Louis discussing at the beginning of the Epilogue?
2. By Act 4, Scene 4, how long has Hannah been trying to get hold of Joe since coming to New York?
3. In Act 5, Scene 7, what does Roy Cohn want to know about the Judge?
4. Hoe does the Angel's communication with Heaven manifest itself onstage?
5. What does Joe say he sees when he looks at Harper in Act 4, Scene 7?
Essay Topic 1
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
Essay Topic 2
Angels in America is a celebration of the essential commonality of all people. Write en essay on this theme, focusing on the beleaguered relationships that mature throughout the play. What do Hannah and Prior, Belize and Roy, and others discover about themselves and their supposed foils? Conclude the essay with a statement regarding Kushner's opinion of humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Some critics characterize Angels in America as a magical realist work. In magical realism, the realistic and the paranormal exist at the same time in the narrative. More importantly, though, in a magical realist work the characters accept these paranormal elements without question. Write an essay detailing whether you think Angels in America is a magical realist work. Use specific examples from the text and interpretation of these examples to defend your position.
This section contains 2,066 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)