|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Sarah Ironson playing cards in Act 5, Scene 6?
2. To what Biblical relations does Roy compare his relationship with Joe in Act 4, Scene 1?
3. What character's spirit helps Louis with the Kaddish?
4. From where does Harper retrieve her Valium stash before leaving Joe?
5. What is Hannah's response to Prior when he asks in what God does to prophets who refuse their vision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kushner links many seemingly disparate groups together in his play. He seems to imply that all people that find themselves marginalized by their affiliations are bound in some way. Write an essay about this binding force of exclusion from the mainstream, focusing on the Mormon, Jewish, and homosexual communities. Use examples from the text of members of these groups interacting and finding common ground to support the thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Prior Walter is Tony Kushner's hero in the Angels in America. Write an essay delineating what qualities of Prior Walter make him heroic. The first half of the essay should sketch out the character aspects that make a hero. In the second half, cite specific actions taken and statements made by Prior that would conform with this model. What is Prior's great heroic act in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Louis and Belize are foils to each other in Angels in America. Write an essay about the dynamic that exists between them, focusing on the two long conversations they have and the night in Roy Cohn's hospital room. How are they different, and how are they similar? In what ways does Belize serve as Louis' conscience in these scenes? How does each man change as a result of this relationship?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)