|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the funeral Prior and Belize attend at the beginning of Act 2 does Prior find particularly distasteful?
2. From where does Harper retrieve her Valium stash before leaving Joe?
3. When Prior asks Harper if she is a Mormon in Act 3, Scene 3, what does she say she is?
4. In Act 5, Scene 4, what word does Harper tell Joe he says a lot?
5. Which of the following books written by presidents is not mentioned in Act 4, Scene 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The New York of Tony Kushner's play is a city of interlocking relationships that connect everyone to everyone else. Write an essay about the convoluted ways that people find each other and affect each other's lives. Focus on the connection these people have to each other and what they become in each other's presence:
Part 1) Roy and Belize
Part 2) Louis and Joe
Part 3) Hannah and Prior
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the motivations and objectives of Harper Pitt. Her actions seem kinetic and meaningless to Hannah and Joe, but she is driven by something deep and ingrained in her psyche. What drives Harper to gobble Valium and act madly? Cite statements made both by her and by Joe to examine the meaning behind her madness.
Essay Topic 3
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)