|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Laylah tells Raffe in Chapter 32, “We’re not made to be alone. No more than” what are?
2. Which of Paige’s friends does Penryn describe in Chapter 31 as having been “born with stumpy arms and tiny, malformed hands”?
3. What has Penryn ordered from room service when one of the Tweedle brothers finally brings it in Chapter 34?
4. What does Penryn use to break open the glass feeding tubes with the human victims and the creatures in them in Chapter 40?
5. Penryn compares her mother to what animal in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting of the interior of the aerie described in Chapter 28? What do Penryn and Raffe do upon entering?
2. What information does Raffe relate to Penryn of the Watchers and the Nephilim in Chapter 25?
3. How is the setting of the financial district described in Chapter 27?
4. Where do Penryn and Raffe go in Chapter 23? What information does Raffe relate of the attackers?
5. How does Raffe save Penryn in Chapter 23? What does Penryn do to help?
6. Where does Penryn encounter Paige in Chapter 37? How is Paige described?
7. Why does Raffe solicit Josiah’s help in Chapter 31? How does Josiah respond?
8. Who attacks Penryn in Chapter 38? How does Penryn react?
9. How is the setting of the forest described as Penryn travels through it in Chapter 22?
10. What angel does Raffe watch in Chapter 29? What does he ask Penryn do to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Watchers and the Nephilim described in Raffe’s “history lesson” in Chapters 25 and 26. How are these creatures described? What literary or Biblical allusion is used in Raffe’s depictions? What happened to the Watchers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Penryn’s discovery of the creatures in the glass tubes in Chapters 35 through 37. What do you think these creatures represent symbolically in the novel? How does Penryn respond to their appearance? How do these creatures explain the prior events of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Beliel in the novel. When does Penryn first encounter Beliel? How has Beliel changed when Penryn sees him for the second time? What are Beliel’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)