|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penryn says in Chapter 33 that her mother’s belief in the devil is what?
2. What are the crowds by the gates doing as women are admitted or turned away by the entrance guards in Chapter 27?
3. Which of Paige’s friends is described as a “quadriplegic who needed a pump to keep him breathing” in Chapter 31?
4. Who was the Messenger angel that was killed in the novel?
5. The waiter that steps in as the Politician angel is about to speak to Penryn turns out to be whom in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Penryn learn as she listens to Raffe and Josiah in Chapter 31?
2. What information does Raffe relate to Penryn of the Watchers and the Nephilim in Chapter 25?
3. How is the setting of the interior of the aerie described in Chapter 28? What do Penryn and Raffe do upon entering?
4. Where does Penryn encounter Paige in Chapter 37? How is Paige described?
5. Where does Penryn first encounter the Politician in Chapter 30? How is this character described?
6. Describe the chaos at the camp in Chapter 21. Where do Penryn and Raffe go?
7. What does Paige do to the angel that attacks Penryn in Chapter 39?
8. How is the setting of the forest described as Penryn travels through it in Chapter 22?
9. Where does the Tweedle brother take Penryn in Chapter 34?
10. Where do Penryn and Raffe find a vehicle to drive in Chapter 26? Whom do they encounter in this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Penryn Young as the protagonist in Angelfall. How old is Penryn when the novel begins? What is Penryn’s objective when she leaves her house with her family? How does that objective change in the first chapters of the narrative? How does Penryn evolve as a character throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative point of view from which Angelfall is related. Is the story told from first, second, or third person perspective? Is the story related in the present or past tense? What effect does this narrative style have on you as a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Angelfall in the first chapters and the author’s use of imagery in the setting. How might you imagine the Silicon Valley area prior to the apocalypse? How has it changed in the period before the novel opens? Who “rules the streets” in Cassie’s neighborhood?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)