|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Penryn is captured in Chapter 16, she notes that “Raffe makes a low sound in his throat that reminds me of” what?
2. How old is Penryn’s sister Paige?
3. When the angel with the snowy wings rolls off the crushed car in Chapter 3, Penryn says that his athletic grace reminds her of what animal she once saw on TV?
4. Penryn says in Chapter 1 that her favorite boots used to be her favorites because she once got a compliment from whom about the look of the leather strips on the sides?
5. What phrase does Penryn decide is an oxymoron as she fights the wingless angel in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Obadiah explain the reaction of the soldiers during Penryn’s fight with Boden in Chapter 19?
2. How are the dead bodies described that Penryn and Raffe encounter in Chapter 12? What other items are found nearby?
3. Who solicits Penryn to start a fight with Anita at the camp in Chapter 19? Why?
4. What does Penryn do with the wounded angel at the end of Chapter 5? Why?
5. Where does Penryn take the wounded angel in Chapter 6? How is this setting described?
6. How is Paige’s injury described in Penryn’s flashback in Chapter 7? When did Paige become disabled?
7. How does Penryn go about engaging Anita in a fight in Chapter 20? How does the fight end?
8. What does Penryn learn about the wounded angel in Chapter 10?
9. What does Penryn do with the angel’s sword in Chapter 4? Why?
10. How does Penryn describe the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? What is she doing as the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Angelfall in the first chapters and the author’s use of imagery in the setting. How might you imagine the Silicon Valley area prior to the apocalypse? How has it changed in the period before the novel opens? Who “rules the streets” in Cassie’s neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Beliel in the novel. When does Penryn first encounter Beliel? How has Beliel changed when Penryn sees him for the second time? What are Beliel’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various origins, history, and descriptions of angels in the mythologies and religions of the world. How do the angels in Angelfall relate to these descriptions? Do you envision the angels in this novel similarly to those seen in the apocalyptic descriptions of the ancient holy books? Why or why not?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)