|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What road does Penryn plan to take into San Francisco in order to avoid highly populated areas as long as possible in Chapter 13?
2. What phrase does Penryn decide is an oxymoron as she fights the wingless angel in Chapter 8?
3. Penryn says that her father has a master’s degree in what subject in Chapter 10?
4. Why is Penryn unable to find a tree to climb to escape the dogs in Chapter 14?
5. How many flights of stairs does Penryn carry her sister down when they leave their condo in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the angels described in Chapter 3? What are they doing when Penryn’s family encounters them?
2. How are the dead bodies described that Penryn and Raffe encounter in Chapter 12? What other items are found nearby?
3. How does Raffe help Penryn escape the dogs in Chapter 14? How is Raffe captured?
4. What does Obadiah tell Penryn and Raffe about the resistance movement in Chapter 18?
5. Where is Raffe taken at the camp in Chapter 15? What does Penryn do?
6. What does Penryn find when she follows Raffe’s captors to the camp in Chapter 15?
7. How does Penryn describe the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? What is she doing as the novel opens?
8. What conversation takes place between Penryn and the wounded angel in Chapter 6?
9. Where does Penryn take the wounded angel in Chapter 6? How is this setting described?
10. How is the outdoor setting described in Chapter 2? What objects fall from the sky in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the various origins, history, and descriptions of angels in the mythologies and religions of the world. How do the angels in Angelfall relate to these descriptions? Do you envision the angels in this novel similarly to those seen in the apocalyptic descriptions of the ancient holy books? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Josiah in the novel. How is Josiah’s appearance described? What are Josiah’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? Is Josiah on the side of the protagonists or antagonists?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Penryn Young as the protagonist in Angelfall. How old is Penryn when the novel begins? What is Penryn’s objective when she leaves her house with her family? How does that objective change in the first chapters of the narrative? How does Penryn evolve as a character throughout the novel?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)