|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
3. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
4. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
5. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
2. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
3. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
5. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
6. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
7. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
8. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
9. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
10. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)