|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
3. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
5. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
2. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
3. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
4. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
5. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
6. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
7. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
9. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
10. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)