|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
2. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
3. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
4. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
2. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
3. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
4. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
5. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
6. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
7. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
8. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
9. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
10. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank spends much of the book planning his trip to America, and wondering why his parents had left America to return to Ireland in the first place.
Part 1) Consider the idealism Frank feels towards America. Based on his parents' experiences there and their experiences in Ireland, is his idealistic view of America warranted?
Part 2) Compare and contrast the struggles felt by the McCourts in the beginning of the book with the struggles felt by them once they reach Ireland. Is one place more responsible for their difficulties than another? Cite several examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Frank McCourt's discussion of sexuality in "Angela's Ashes." How does Frank's emerging sexuality conflict with his religious beliefs? How does he find a compromise between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)