|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
2. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
3. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
4. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
5. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
2. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
3. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
4. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
5. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
6. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
7. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
8. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank spends much of the book planning his trip to America, and wondering why his parents had left America to return to Ireland in the first place.
Part 1) Consider the idealism Frank feels towards America. Based on his parents' experiences there and their experiences in Ireland, is his idealistic view of America warranted?
Part 2) Compare and contrast the struggles felt by the McCourts in the beginning of the book with the struggles felt by them once they reach Ireland. Is one place more responsible for their difficulties than another? Cite several examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 3
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)