|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
3. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
4. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
5. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
2. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
3. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
4. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
5. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
6. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
7. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
8. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
Essay Topic 2
Based on what you have read in the book, compare and contrast the roles of women and men in Ireland during the Great Depression.
Essay Topic 3
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)