|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
2. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
4. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
2. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
3. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
4. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
5. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
6. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
7. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
8. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
9. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
10. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank McCourt uses humor to help entertain the reader in "Angela's Ashes." Describe, in details, the ways in which McCourt uses humorous anecdotes and comical stories to lighten up an otherwise very serious memoir.
Essay Topic 2
Frank's experiences in school help shape him as a man as he grows older through the book. Describe how his experiences in school make him more eager to go to America, more willing to take responsibility for his family, and better able to look at the world through mature eyes. Cite specific examples from the book to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)