|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
3. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
4. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
5. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
2. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
3. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
4. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
5. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
6. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
7. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
8. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
9. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
10. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 3
Frank's experiences in school help shape him as a man as he grows older through the book. Describe how his experiences in school make him more eager to go to America, more willing to take responsibility for his family, and better able to look at the world through mature eyes. Cite specific examples from the book to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)