|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
2. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
5. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
2. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
3. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
4. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
5. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
6. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
7. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
8. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
9. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
10. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Catholic church in the book, both on Frank and his family and on society as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role alcohol plays in "Angela's Ashes." Alcohol serves as almost another character; it affects the family, society and well-being of everyone in the memoir. Discuss the role of alcohol, "pub-culture," and how alcohol is seen by both the McCourt family and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)