|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
4. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
5. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
2. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
3. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
4. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
5. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
6. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
7. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
8. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
9. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
10. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank's family leaves America for Ireland at the beginning of the book, but Frank spends most of the book dreaming about going to America. Discuss the irony in this, and the journey required of Frank in order to leave Ireland and go to America.
Essay Topic 2
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)