|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
2. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
3. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
4. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
5. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
2. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
3. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
4. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
5. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
7. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
8. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Frank McCourt uses humor to help entertain the reader in "Angela's Ashes." Describe, in details, the ways in which McCourt uses humorous anecdotes and comical stories to lighten up an otherwise very serious memoir.
Essay Topic 3
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)