|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
2. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
4. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
5. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
2. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
3. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
4. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
5. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
6. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
7. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
8. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
9. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
10. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role alcohol plays in "Angela's Ashes." Alcohol serves as almost another character; it affects the family, society and well-being of everyone in the memoir. Discuss the role of alcohol, "pub-culture," and how alcohol is seen by both the McCourt family and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Catholic church in the book, both on Frank and his family and on society as a whole.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)