|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
2. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
4. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider to be the major theme of the book? Give specific examples and details from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role alcohol plays in "Angela's Ashes." Alcohol serves as almost another character; it affects the family, society and well-being of everyone in the memoir. Discuss the role of alcohol, "pub-culture," and how alcohol is seen by both the McCourt family and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Frank's family leaves America for Ireland at the beginning of the book, but Frank spends most of the book dreaming about going to America. Discuss the irony in this, and the journey required of Frank in order to leave Ireland and go to America.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)