|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
2. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
3. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
2. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
3. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
6. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
7. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
8. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
9. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
10. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The opening line of "Angela's Ashes" states "My father and mother should have stayed in New York where they met and married and where I was born." How does this foreshadow the rest of the book? How does this one line set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)