|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
2. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
3. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
4. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
5. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
2. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
3. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
4. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
5. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
6. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
7. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
8. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
9. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
10. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Frank's experiences in school help shape him as a man as he grows older through the book. Describe how his experiences in school make him more eager to go to America, more willing to take responsibility for his family, and better able to look at the world through mature eyes. Cite specific examples from the book to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)