|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
2. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
3. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
5. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
2. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
3. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
4. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
5. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
6. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
7. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
8. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
9. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
10. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Frank McCourt uses humor to help entertain the reader in "Angela's Ashes." Describe, in details, the ways in which McCourt uses humorous anecdotes and comical stories to lighten up an otherwise very serious memoir.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)