|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
2. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
3. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
4. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
5. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
2. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
3. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
4. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
5. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
6. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
7. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
8. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
9. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
10. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank McCourt uses humor to help entertain the reader in "Angela's Ashes." Describe, in details, the ways in which McCourt uses humorous anecdotes and comical stories to lighten up an otherwise very serious memoir.
Essay Topic 2
What do you consider to be the major theme of the book? Give specific examples and details from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)