|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
2. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
4. Why is Frank disappointed that his mother is not speaking to his grandmother in Chapter 5?
5. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
2. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
3. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
4. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
7. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
9. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
10. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
Essay Topic 1
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The family unit is one of the most critical structures found in the book. Discuss the role of the family in "Angela's Ashes." What role did each member play? How does the McCourt family unit represent the climate and atmosphere of the society as a whole?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)