|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
2. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
3. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
4. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
5. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
2. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
3. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
4. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
5. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
6. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
7. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
8. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
9. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
10. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The opening line of "Angela's Ashes" states "My father and mother should have stayed in New York where they met and married and where I was born." How does this foreshadow the rest of the book? How does this one line set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)