|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
3. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
4. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
5. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
2. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
3. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
4. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
5. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
6. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
7. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
8. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
9. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
10. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The family unit is one of the most critical structures found in the book. Discuss the role of the family in "Angela's Ashes." What role did each member play? How does the McCourt family unit represent the climate and atmosphere of the society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Frank's family leaves America for Ireland at the beginning of the book, but Frank spends most of the book dreaming about going to America. Discuss the irony in this, and the journey required of Frank in order to leave Ireland and go to America.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)