Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
2. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
3. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
5. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
2. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
4. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Based on the ending of the book; you think Frank realizes his dreams? Why or why not?
7. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
8. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
9. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
10. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Catholic church in the book, both on Frank and his family and on society as a whole.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)