|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
2. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
3. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
4. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
5. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
2. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
3. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
4. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
5. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
6. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
7. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
8. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
9. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
10. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
Essay Topic 2
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Frank McCourt write "Angela's Ashes"? Consider what Frank's purpose for writing his memoir might be, and support your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)