|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
2. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
3. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
4. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
2. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
3. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
4. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
5. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
6. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
7. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
8. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
9. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
10. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)