|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
2. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
3. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
4. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
5. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
2. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
3. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
4. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
7. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
8. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
9. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
10. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is this memoir entitled "Angela's Ashes?" Give specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Why would McCourt name his memoir this way? What is the symbolism behind the title?
Essay Topic 2
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What do you consider to be the major theme of the book? Give specific examples and details from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,778 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)