|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
2. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
3. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
4. What is Paddy's dream?
5. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
2. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
3. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
5. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
6. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
7. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
8. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
9. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
10. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
Essay Topic 2
The opening line of "Angela's Ashes" states "My father and mother should have stayed in New York where they met and married and where I was born." How does this foreshadow the rest of the book? How does this one line set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Frank McCourt's discussion of sexuality in "Angela's Ashes." How does Frank's emerging sexuality conflict with his religious beliefs? How does he find a compromise between the two?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)