|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mickey die?
2. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
3. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
4. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
5. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
2. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
3. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
4. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
5. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
6. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
7. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
8. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
9. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
10. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what you have read in the book, compare and contrast the roles of women and men in Ireland during the Great Depression.
Essay Topic 2
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
This section contains 1,811 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)