|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mickey die?
2. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
3. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
4. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
5. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
2. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
3. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
4. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
5. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
6. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
7. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
8. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
9. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The family unit is one of the most critical structures found in the book. Discuss the role of the family in "Angela's Ashes." What role did each member play? How does the McCourt family unit represent the climate and atmosphere of the society as a whole?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)