|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
2. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
5. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
2. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
3. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
4. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
5. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
6. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
7. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
8. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
9. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
10. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
The opening line of "Angela's Ashes" states "My father and mother should have stayed in New York where they met and married and where I was born." How does this foreshadow the rest of the book? How does this one line set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does America seem to represent to Frank McCourt in "Angela's Ashes?" What does Ireland represent? In a comparison essay, examine the symbolic nature of these two places for Frank, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)