|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
2. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
3. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
4. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
5. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
2. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
3. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
4. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
6. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
7. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
8. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
9. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
10. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The opening line of "Angela's Ashes" states "My father and mother should have stayed in New York where they met and married and where I was born." How does this foreshadow the rest of the book? How does this one line set the tone for the rest of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Frank McCourt's discussion of sexuality in "Angela's Ashes." How does Frank's emerging sexuality conflict with his religious beliefs? How does he find a compromise between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Why is this memoir entitled "Angela's Ashes?" Give specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Why would McCourt name his memoir this way? What is the symbolism behind the title?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)