|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
2. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
3. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
4. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
5. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
2. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
3. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
4. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
5. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
6. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
7. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
8. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
9. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
10. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is this memoir entitled "Angela's Ashes?" Give specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Why would McCourt name his memoir this way? What is the symbolism behind the title?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Frank and his father. In many ways, Frank was purposely trying to be as different from Malachy as possible. Was he successful? Why was he trying to differentiate himself to such an extent?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)