|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
2. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
3. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
4. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
5. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
2. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
3. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
4. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
5. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
6. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
7. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
8. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
9. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
10. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role alcohol plays in "Angela's Ashes." Alcohol serves as almost another character; it affects the family, society and well-being of everyone in the memoir. Discuss the role of alcohol, "pub-culture," and how alcohol is seen by both the McCourt family and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Frank's family leaves America for Ireland at the beginning of the book, but Frank spends most of the book dreaming about going to America. Discuss the irony in this, and the journey required of Frank in order to leave Ireland and go to America.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)