|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
2. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
3. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
4. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
5. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
2. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
3. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
4. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
5. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
6. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
7. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
8. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
9. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
10. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank McCourt uses humor to help entertain the reader in "Angela's Ashes." Describe, in details, the ways in which McCourt uses humorous anecdotes and comical stories to lighten up an otherwise very serious memoir.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role alcohol plays in "Angela's Ashes." Alcohol serves as almost another character; it affects the family, society and well-being of everyone in the memoir. Discuss the role of alcohol, "pub-culture," and how alcohol is seen by both the McCourt family and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship dynamic between Angela and Malachy. What plays the most important part in the demise of their relationship?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)