|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
2. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
3. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
4. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
5. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
2. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
3. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
4. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
5. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
6. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
7. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
8. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
9. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
10. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each one of the teachers Frank McCourt mentions in "Angela's Ashes" played a significant role in his education and in making him the person he later became. Trace McCourt's experiences with these teachers, and analyze the impact that each one had on his later life.
Essay Topic 2
Angela seems to have a love/hate relationship with her extended family. Examine this relationship, and give examples showing the dynamic of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Frank's experiences in school help shape him as a man as he grows older through the book. Describe how his experiences in school make him more eager to go to America, more willing to take responsibility for his family, and better able to look at the world through mature eyes. Cite specific examples from the book to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)