|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
3. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
4. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
5. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
2. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
3. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
4. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
5. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
6. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
7. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
8. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
9. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
10. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what you have read in the book, compare and contrast the roles of women and men in Ireland during the Great Depression.
Essay Topic 2
Frank spends much of the book planning his trip to America, and wondering why his parents had left America to return to Ireland in the first place.
Part 1) Consider the idealism Frank feels towards America. Based on his parents' experiences there and their experiences in Ireland, is his idealistic view of America warranted?
Part 2) Compare and contrast the struggles felt by the McCourts in the beginning of the book with the struggles felt by them once they reach Ireland. Is one place more responsible for their difficulties than another? Cite several examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The family unit is one of the most critical structures found in the book. Discuss the role of the family in "Angela's Ashes." What role did each member play? How does the McCourt family unit represent the climate and atmosphere of the society as a whole?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)