|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
2. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
3. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
4. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
5. What is the Confraternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
2. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
3. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
4. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
5. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
6. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
7. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
8. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
10. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist in "Angela's Ashes?" Use specific details and events from the story to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role poverty places in "Angela's Ashes." What is the role of economic struggle in the book? How do the characters deal with this struggle? How does this struggle shape their lives? Support your arguments with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What do you consider to be the major theme of the book? Give specific examples and details from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)