|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(b) New York.
2. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) He has been misbehaving at school.
(b) She is impressed with his reading.
(c) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(d) He has been stealing books.
3. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(b) She is welcoming.
(c) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(d) She is hostile and unkind.
4. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She has a wart on her face.
(b) She falls down the stairs.
(c) She cannnot cook.
(d) She uses a chamber pot.
5. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her sherry.
(b) Her bag of potatoes.
(c) Her new candlesticks.
(d) Her fur coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
3. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
5. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
2. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
3. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
7. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
9. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
10. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)