|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He gives it to Agnes.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He packs it for America.
(d) He throws it in the river.
2. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To the pub.
(b) To America.
(c) To India.
(d) To work in a factory in England.
3. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He misses his mother.
(b) He has a dirty diaper.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He is sick with pneumonia.
4. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Buying one from Kathleen.
(b) Stealing the bike.
(c) Borrowing it from Laman.
(d) Building one out of junk.
5. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) Her house is on fire.
(b) She has passed away.
(c) Angela is missing.
(d) She has stolen all of the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
2. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
3. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
4. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
5. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
2. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
3. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
4. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
5. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
6. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
7. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
8. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
9. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
10. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)