|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To India.
(b) To America.
(c) To the pub.
(d) To work in a factory in England.
2. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He gives it to Agnes.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He packs it for America.
(d) He throws it in the river.
3. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) No one is allowed to visit her.
(b) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(c) Margaret and Agnes.
(d) Frank and young Malachy.
4. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(a) New York.
5. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(b) He is employed.
(c) He is getting older.
(d) He is smarter than the other children at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
2. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
3. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
4. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
4. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
5. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
6. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
7. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
8. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
9. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
10. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)