|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her sherry.
(b) Her bag of potatoes.
(c) Her new candlesticks.
(d) Her fur coat.
2. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
(a) He is stealing books.
(b) He was eating in the library.
(c) He is reading inappropriate material.
(d) He is making too much noise.
3. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She had disappeared overnight.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is begging for charity at churches.
(d) Her dress is ripped.
4. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Beethoven and Mozart.
(b) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) Classical Irish jigs.
5. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She uses a chamber pot.
(b) She cannnot cook.
(c) She falls down the stairs.
(d) She has a wart on her face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
2. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
4. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
5. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
2. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
3. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
4. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
7. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
8. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)