|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She takes him to meet his boss.
(b) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(c) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(d) She buys him new clothes.
2. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(c) She is tired of working.
(d) She has gone crazy.
3. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To America.
(b) To work in a factory in England.
(c) To the pub.
(d) To India.
4. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(b) He does not know how to do the job.
(c) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(d) He brings his mother to work with him.
5. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Stealing the bike.
(b) Building one out of junk.
(c) Borrowing it from Laman.
(d) Buying one from Kathleen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
2. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
3. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
4. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
3. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
4. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
5. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
6. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
7. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
8. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
9. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
10. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)