|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(b) She has gone crazy.
(d) She is tired of working.
2. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To sell it for food money.
(b) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(c) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
(d) To give it to Patricia.
3. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) He does not arrive until the next day.
(b) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
(c) He arrives early.
(d) The train crashes.
4. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He borrows money from Grandma.
(b) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(c) He steals it.
(d) He goes to Kathleen's store.
5. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She falls down the stairs.
(b) She uses a chamber pot.
(c) She has a wart on her face.
(d) She cannnot cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
2. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
3. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
4. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
5. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
2. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
3. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
4. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
5. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
6. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
7. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
8. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
9. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
10. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)