|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
(a) Frank proposed to Rose.
(b) Frank made fun of Rose.
(c) Frank walked Rose home.
(d) Frank attacked Rose.
2. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) He has a dirty diaper.
(c) He misses his mother.
(d) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
3. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) He arrives early.
(b) He does not arrive until the next day.
(c) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
(d) The train crashes.
4. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) It urges him to come home.
(b) It begs him to go back to work.
(c) It asks him to go find his father.
(d) It says that he should never return to Laman's.
5. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Ocean's Guide.
(b) The Irish Oak.
(c) The American Traveler.
(d) The Sea Merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
2. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
3. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
4. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
5. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
4. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
5. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
6. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
7. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
8. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)