|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To give it to Patricia.
(b) To sell it for food money.
(c) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(d) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
2. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Irish Oak.
(b) The Ocean's Guide.
(c) The American Traveler.
(d) The Sea Merchant.
3. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) He has a dirty diaper.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He misses his mother.
4. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank is misbehaving.
(b) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(c) Agnes can better provide for the children.
(d) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
5. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) The train crashes.
(b) He arrives early.
(c) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
(d) He does not arrive until the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
2. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
3. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
4. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
5. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
6. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
7. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
8. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
9. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
10. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)