|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(b) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(c) He is trying to scare his aunt.
(d) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
2. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) For a garage.
(b) Reading to the elderly.
(c) Loading coal.
(d) Delivering newspapers.
3. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) An apple.
(b) New boots.
(c) A book.
(d) A new drum.
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he can make his father proud.
(b) So that he could own a factory.
(c) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
(d) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
5. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(b) Beethoven and Mozart.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) Classical Irish jigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
2. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
3. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
4. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
5. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
2. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
3. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
4. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
5. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
6. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
7. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
8. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
9. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
10. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)