|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(b) She would be proud of him.
(c) She would want all of the money.
(d) She would not approve.
2. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
(b) Frank should go home to Angela.
(c) Frank should quit school.
(d) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
3. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He gives it to Agnes.
(b) He throws it in the river.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He packs it for America.
4. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He is smarter than the other children at school.
(b) He is getting older.
(c) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(d) He is employed.
5. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) He is missing school because of work.
(b) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(c) The work is too difficult for him.
(d) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
3. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
4. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
5. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
2. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
3. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
4. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
5. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
6. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
7. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
8. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
9. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
10. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)