|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(b) She is impressed with his reading.
(c) He has been stealing books.
(d) He has been misbehaving at school.
2. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank and young Malachy.
(b) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(c) No one is allowed to visit her.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
3. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He is tired and falling asleep.
(b) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(c) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(d) He squints because of the sun.
4. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He packs it for America.
(b) He throws it in the river.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He gives it to Agnes.
5. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
(a) Margaret's house.
(b) Pat Sheehan's house.
(c) Paddy's house.
(d) Agnes' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
2. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
3. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
5. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
2. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
3. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
4. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
5. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
6. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
7. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
8. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
9. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
10. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)