|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He brings his mother to work with him.
(b) He does not know how to do the job.
(c) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(d) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
2. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Frank just got a job.
(b) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(c) Frank got an A in school
(d) Mikey is turning 16.
3. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(b) The work is too difficult for him.
(c) He is missing school because of work.
(d) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
4. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) Her house is on fire.
(b) She has passed away.
(c) She has stolen all of the money.
(d) Angela is missing.
5. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(b) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(c) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(d) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
2. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
3. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
4. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
5. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
2. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
3. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
4. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
5. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
6. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
7. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
8. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
9. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
10. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)