|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) He is angry with Frank.
(b) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(c) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(d) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
2. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) She must be in heaven.
(b) She must be in hell.
(c) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
(d) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
3. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was fighting.
(b) Frank was drinking.
(c) Frank was stealing.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
4. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Read to her.
(b) Walk her dog.
(c) Carry her bags of coal.
(d) Write threatening letters to her customers.
5. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is drunk.
(b) Her dress is ripped.
(c) She is begging for charity at churches.
(d) She had disappeared overnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
2. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
3. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
4. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
5. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
2. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
3. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
4. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
5. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
6. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
7. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
8. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
9. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
10. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)