|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(b) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(c) Tutoring students at school.
(d) At the barbership.
2. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was stealing.
(b) Frank was fighting.
(c) Frank was out past his curfew.
(d) Frank was drinking.
3. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He brings his mother to work with him.
(d) He does not know how to do the job.
4. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(b) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(c) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(d) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
5. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(b) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(c) Frank is misbehaving.
(d) Agnes can better provide for the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
3. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
5. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
2. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
3. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
4. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
5. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
6. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
7. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
8. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
9. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
10. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)