|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Margaret.
(d) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
2. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He does not know how to do the job.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He brings his mother to work with him.
(d) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
3. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is hostile and unkind.
(b) She is welcoming.
(c) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(d) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
4. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
(c) A bottle of Guiness.
(d) A new coat.
5. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
(b) So that he can make his father proud.
(c) So that he could own a factory.
(d) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
2. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
3. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
4. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
5. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
2. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
3. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
6. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
7. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
8. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
9. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
10. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)