|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He will be home before Christmas.
(b) There is more money coming.
(c) He is staying in London.
(d) He has lost his job.
2. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) New boots.
(b) A new drum.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
3. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(b) Tutoring students at school.
(c) At the barbership.
(d) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
4. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
(b) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(c) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
(d) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
5. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
3. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
5. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
2. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
3. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
4. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
8. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
9. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
10. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)