|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank and young Malachy.
(b) Margaret and Agnes.
(c) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(d) No one is allowed to visit her.
2. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(a) New York.
3. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
(b) So that he can make his father proud.
(c) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(d) So that he could own a factory.
4. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(b) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(c) Frank is misbehaving.
(d) Agnes can better provide for the children.
5. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To give it to Patricia.
(b) To sell it for food money.
(c) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(d) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
2. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
5. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
2. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
3. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
7. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
8. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
9. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
10. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)