|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(b) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
(c) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(d) He is trying to scare his aunt.
2. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) His grandmother's.
(b) Mikey Molloy's house.
(c) The home on Roden Lane.
(d) The land by the river.
3. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(b) Read to her.
(c) Carry her bags of coal.
(d) Walk her dog.
4. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has stolen all of the money.
(b) Angela is missing.
(c) Her house is on fire.
(d) She has passed away.
5. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She never tips the delivery boys.
(b) There are rumors that she is very mean.
(c) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(d) She has consumption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
2. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
3. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
4. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
5. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
2. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
3. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
4. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
5. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
6. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
7. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
8. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
9. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
10. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)