|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) He arrives early.
(b) He does not arrive until the next day.
(c) The train crashes.
(d) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
2. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has passed away.
(b) Her house is on fire.
(c) Angela is missing.
(d) She has stolen all of the money.
3. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(b) Frank and young Malachy.
(c) No one is allowed to visit her.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
4. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(b) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
5. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
(b) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(c) Frank was losing letters.
(d) Frank was stealing letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
2. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
3. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
4. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
5. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
4. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
5. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
6. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
7. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
8. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
9. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
10. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)