|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Several new books about Ireland.
(b) Forty copies of page 16.
(c) Bread and jam from Angela.
(d) Five bags of coal.
2. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(b) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(c) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
(d) Mikey's father quits his job.
3. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(b) He is missing school because of work.
(c) The work is too difficult for him.
(d) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
4. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has passed away.
(b) Her house is on fire.
(c) She has stolen all of the money.
(d) Angela is missing.
5. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Takes her letters and throws them away.
(b) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
(c) Steals her money.
(d) Reads all of her books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
2. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
4. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
5. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
4. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
5. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
6. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
7. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
8. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
9. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
10. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)