|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(c) She left town without him saying goodbye.
(d) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
2. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He throws it in the river.
(c) He gives it to Agnes.
(d) He packs it for America.
3. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her new candlesticks.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) Her sherry.
(d) Her bag of potatoes.
4. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank and young Malachy.
(b) Margaret and Agnes.
(c) No one is allowed to visit her.
(d) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
5. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) His grandmother's.
(b) The land by the river.
(c) The home on Roden Lane.
(d) Mikey Molloy's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
2. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
3. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
4. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
5. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
2. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
3. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
4. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
5. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
6. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
7. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
8. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
9. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
10. In Chapter 10, Angela goes back to the St. Vincent de Paul society to beg for charity, and stops at a church to beg for help as well. Frank later remarks that he has trouble looking her in the eye. Why do you think that is?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)