|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(b) She is welcoming.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
2. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
(a) When Agnes is not around.
(b) When he is able to steal food.
(c) When the children have completed their chores.
(d) When he has extra money.
3. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
(b) Paddy won money gambling.
(c) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
(d) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
4. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(b) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(c) At the barbership.
(d) Tutoring students at school.
5. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) He has put on weight.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) Like he had been sick.
(d) He has new clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
2. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
3. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
5. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
2. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
3. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
4. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
5. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
6. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
7. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
8. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
9. Discuss Frank's relationship with John Hannon in Chapter 11.
10. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)