|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
(a) He gets a job selling books.
(b) He steals food.
(c) He gets the food from Angela.
(d) He borrows money from Margaret.
2. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her new candlesticks.
(b) Her sherry.
(c) Her fur coat.
(d) Her bag of potatoes.
3. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(b) Frank and young Malachy.
(c) Margaret and Agnes.
(d) No one is allowed to visit her.
4. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Carry her bags of coal.
(b) Walk her dog.
(c) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(d) Read to her.
5. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He has a dirty diaper.
(b) He is sick with pneumonia.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He misses his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
2. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
3. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
4. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
5. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
2. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
3. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
4. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
5. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
6. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
7. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
8. Why does Frank find relief when he visits the Franciscan priest in Chapter 17?
9. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
10. In Chapter 11, Mikey explains to Frank how babies are conceived. This is news to Frank. What impact does it have on him?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)