|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(b) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(c) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
(d) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
2. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Delivering newspapers.
(b) Loading coal.
(c) Reading to the elderly.
(d) For a garage.
3. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He works in a factory.
(b) He delivers coal.
(c) He works in a shop.
(d) He delivers telegrams.
4. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(b) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(c) Mikey's father quits his job.
(d) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
5. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(a) She has gone crazy.
(b) She is tired of working.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
2. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
4. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
5. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
2. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
3. Malachy returns home temporarily to care for the children, but his visit is short-lived. How do you feel about this? Should he have stayed longer? What does his visit tell you about the dynamics of the family?
4. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam in Chapter 18?
6. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
7. How does the time Frank spends in the library in Chapter 14 reading a predictor of his future profession?
8. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
9. Frank says very little about his grandmother's death. Why do you think this is?
10. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)