|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A James Cagney movie.
(b) A Disney cartoon.
(c) An old American western.
(d) A science fiction thriller.
2. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(b) He was listening to dirty stories.
(c) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(d) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
3. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
(b) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(c) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(d) A place where there is no rain.
4. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy misses his family.
(b) Malachy has been arrested.
(c) Malachy drinks too much.
(d) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
5. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(b) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(c) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
(d) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
2. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
3. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
4. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
5. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
2. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
3. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
4. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
7. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
8. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
9. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
10. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)