|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
(a) On the boat coming to America.
(b) At a party in America.
(c) In church.
(d) In Limerick.
2. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "A Modest Proposal."
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) "Gulliver's Travels."
(d) "The Tempest."
3. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The butcher's shop.
(b) A pub.
(c) A cement factory.
(d) A potato farm.
4. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She once dated a senator.
(b) She was always poor.
(c) She was a great student.
(d) She was an excellent dancer.
5. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) The families usually move to England.
(b) They do not see their fathers.
(c) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
2. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
3. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
4. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
5. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
2. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
3. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
4. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
7. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
8. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
9. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
10. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)