|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(b) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
(c) There is better food in Germany.
(d) The war is profitable for Irish families.
2. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(b) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
(c) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(d) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
3. What job does Frank take on for Margaret?
(a) Delivering newspapers.
(b) Taking food to Galvin.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Fetching coal.
4. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
(a) Malachy is drinking instead of attending the funeral.
(b) Malachy has put his glass on Eugene's coffin.
(c) Malachy has spent the money intended for the funeral on alcohol.
(d) Malachy does not seem to be upset about Eugene's death.
5. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
(b) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
(c) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
(d) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
2. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
3. Why does Frank miss his collection?
4. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
2. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
3. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
4. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
5. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
6. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
7. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
8. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
9. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
10. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)