|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He ate bad bread.
(b) He has growing pains.
(c) He drank too much.
(d) He has pneumonia.
2. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
(b) Frank sold the food.
(c) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
(d) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
3. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(b) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(c) Malachy lost his job again.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
4. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He is too poor.
(b) He is not old enough.
(c) He has bad manners.
(d) He has not followed the rules in church.
5. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
(c) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
2. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
3. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
4. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
5. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
2. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
3. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
4. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
5. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
6. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
7. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
8. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
9. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
10. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)