|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He i working late and she is worried.
(b) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
(c) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
(d) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
2. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She was an excellent dancer.
(b) She was always poor.
(c) She once dated a senator.
(d) She was a great student.
3. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(b) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
(c) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(d) He is not feeling well.
4. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
(d) He fights with Frank.
5. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has consumption.
(b) She has diphtheria.
(c) She has pneumonia.
(d) She has rheumatic fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
2. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
3. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
4. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
5. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
2. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
3. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
4. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
5. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
6. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
7. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
8. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
9. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
10. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)