|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has consumption.
(b) She has rheumatic fever.
(c) She has diphtheria.
(d) She has pneumonia.
2. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Irish dancing lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Reading lessons.
(d) Violin lessons.
3. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A place where there is no rain.
(b) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(c) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(d) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
4. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) The families usually move to England.
(b) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(c) They do not see their fathers.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
5. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A bag of potatoes.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) A bag of coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
2. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
3. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
4. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
5. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
2. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
3. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
4. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
5. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
6. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
7. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
8. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
9. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
10. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)