|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(b) There is less money for the charity to give.
(c) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(d) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
2. What is the Confraternity?
(a) An employment agency.
(b) A dancing class.
(c) A religious organization.
(d) A soccer club.
3. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(b) To show her children where their father is working.
(c) To apply for a job herself.
(d) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
4. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
(a) Malachy is disgusted by his own name.
(b) The child is named for Angela's father.
(c) Malachy was drunk and the clerk writing the birth certificate did not understand what he was saying.
(d) The child is given an American name.
5. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(d) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
4. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
5. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
2. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
4. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
5. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
6. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
7. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
8. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
9. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
10. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)