|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(b) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(c) Angela does not know where the store is.
(d) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
2. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
(b) There is less money for the charity to give.
(c) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(d) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
3. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
4. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(b) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
(c) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(d) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(b) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(c) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(d) Oliver is very sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
2. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
3. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
5. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
2. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
3. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
5. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
6. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
7. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
8. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
9. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
10. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)