Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has conjunctivitis.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He broke his leg.
2. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A science fiction thriller.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A James Cagney movie.
(d) A Disney cartoon.
3. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He has growing pains.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He drank too much.
(d) He ate bad bread.
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
(a) Malachy finds a temporary job.
(b) Malachy sells his possessions.
(c) The police take up a collection to pay their bus fare.
(d) The family begs on the street.
5. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Frank's grandfather.
(b) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(c) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(d) Job opportunities up north.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
2. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
3. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
4. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
5. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
2. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
4. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Based on the ending of the book; you think Frank realizes his dreams? Why or why not?
7. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
8. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
9. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
10. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)