|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
(a) They want Angela's mother to take care of Frank.
(b) They want Angela's mother to convince Angela to leave Malachy.
(c) They want Angela's mother to come to America to visit.
(d) They want Angela's mother to send money so that Angela and her family can move back to Ireland.
2. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
(a) The priest has come to visit the family.
(b) The Pope's picture has been left outside in the rain.
(c) Frank has thrown up his first communion.
(d) Frank has left his prayer book outside.
3. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has pneumonia.
(b) She has rheumatic fever.
(c) She has consumption.
(d) She has diphtheria.
4. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
(a) The Sarsfield Barracks soldiers.
(b) Pat Sheehan.
(c) His mother.
(d) The officers from the IRA office.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
(a) That they would always protect their mother.
(b) That they would never drink.
(c) That they would go to work like him.
(d) That they would die for Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
2. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
3. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
4. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
2. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
3. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
4. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
5. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
6. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
7. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
8. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
9. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
10. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)