|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) Washing them with salt water.
(b) St. Anthony's spit.
(c) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(d) Closing them for three days.
2. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To read a sermon.
(b) His confirmation.
(c) To become an altar boy.
(d) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
3. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(b) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(c) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(d) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
4. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(b) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(c) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(d) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
5. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
(a) He delivers coal to Mr. Timoney.
(b) He brings Mr. Timoney books.
(c) He cleans Mr. Timoney's home.
(d) He reads to Mr. Timoney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
2. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
3. How does Mikey get hurt?
4. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
5. Why does Mickey die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
2. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
3. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
4. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
5. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
6. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
7. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
8. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
9. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
10. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)