|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He must have his tonsils removed.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has broken his arm.
2. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) His confirmation.
(b) To become an altar boy.
(c) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
(d) To read a sermon.
3. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
(a) That it is "respectful."
(b) Frank doesn't care about the new baby's name.
(c) That it sounds like a girl's name.
(d) That it is an "affliction."
4. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) They cannot afford any groceries.
(b) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(c) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(d) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
5. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(d) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
2. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
3. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
4. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
5. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
2. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
3. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
4. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
5. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
6. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
7. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
8. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
9. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
10. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)