|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He has puppies.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He becomes very ill.
2. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) It is cold outside.
(b) There is consumption going around.
(c) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
(d) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
3. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
(b) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
(c) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
(d) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
4. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) He has a large birthmark on his face.
(b) His middle name is "Dot."
(c) He is small, like a dot.
(d) He is round, like a dot.
5. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Malachy lost his job again.
(b) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(c) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
2. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
3. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
4. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
5. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
2. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
3. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
4. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
5. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
6. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
7. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
8. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
9. In Chapter 5, Malachy begins to write letters for people who are unable to write. He always tells these people to keep their money, but Angela always takes it. What does this tell you about their priorities?
10. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)