|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy misses his family.
(b) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(c) Malachy has been arrested.
(d) Malachy drinks too much.
2. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(b) They are wearing girls' boots.
(c) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(d) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
3. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(b) Frank's illness.
(c) Their trip to Limerick.
(d) Frank's bad behavior.
4. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
(a) Become a movie star in Bollywood.
(b) Read the news on the BBC.
(c) Play soccer against Britain.
(d) Join the army in America.
5. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He dismisses class early.
(b) He brings the boys food.
(c) He sleeps in class.
(d) He likes America.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
2. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
3. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
4. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
5. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
2. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
3. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
5. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
6. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
7. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
8. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
9. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
10. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)