Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
(b) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
(c) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
(d) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
2. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Frank's illness.
(b) Frank's bad behavior.
(c) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(d) Their trip to Limerick.
3. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(b) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(c) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(d) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
4. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(b) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(c) They are wearing girls' boots.
(d) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
5. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
(b) Dr. O'Connor.
(d) Nurse Rita.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
2. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
4. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
5. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
2. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
3. Describe the circumstances under which Angela and her family are evicted.
4. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
5. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
6. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
7. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
8. Chapter 13 introduces the reader to Mr. O'Halloran, Frank's new teacher. What is unique about this teacher and the affect he has on Frank?
9. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
10. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)