|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The old house was flooded.
(b) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
(c) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(d) The new house is less expensive.
2. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
(a) Potato soup.
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) They are not fed.
(d) Scraps from last night's dinner.
3. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
(a) Mr. O'Neill should not be striking the students.
(b) The children are complaining that they have not learned enough science.
(c) Mr. O'Neill should not be teaching fourth graders geometry.
(d) There are several books missing from Mr. O'Neill's class.
4. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has rheumatic fever.
(b) She has pneumonia.
(c) She has consumption.
(d) She has diphtheria.
5. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
(a) Mrs. Meagher's husband did not send home any wages.
(b) Mrs. Meagher is losing her hair.
(c) Mrs. Meagher has typhoid.
(d) Mrs. Meagher's sons have behavior problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
2. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
3. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
4. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
5. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
2. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
3. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
4. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
5. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
6. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
7. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
8. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
9. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
10. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)