|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
(b) Frank sold the food.
(c) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
(d) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
2. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) His grandmother wants to send her love.
(b) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(c) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
(d) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
3. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(b) Peter beats him up.
(c) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
(d) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
4. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
(b) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
(c) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
(d) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
5. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
(a) Mrs. Meagher has typhoid.
(b) Mrs. Meagher's husband did not send home any wages.
(c) Mrs. Meagher is losing her hair.
(d) Mrs. Meagher's sons have behavior problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
2. Why does Frank miss his collection?
3. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
4. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
5. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
2. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
3. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
4. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
5. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
6. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
7. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
8. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
9. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
10. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)