|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
(a) Malachy does not seem to be upset about Eugene's death.
(b) Malachy is drinking instead of attending the funeral.
(c) Malachy has spent the money intended for the funeral on alcohol.
(d) Malachy has put his glass on Eugene's coffin.
2. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(b) The IRA is completely out of money.
(c) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(d) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
3. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(b) Malachy lost his job again.
(c) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
4. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
(a) Mr. O'Neill should not be teaching fourth graders geometry.
(b) Mr. O'Neill should not be striking the students.
(c) The children are complaining that they have not learned enough science.
(d) There are several books missing from Mr. O'Neill's class.
5. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
(a) They help Angela with her housework.
(b) They go to an orchard to drink water and eat apples.
(c) They go work at the Post Office.
(d) They visit their friend Mikey.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
2. Why does Frank miss his collection?
3. What is the Confraternity?
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
5. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
2. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
3. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
4. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
7. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
8. Chapter 1 begins the pattern of Malachy losing his jobs. To what extent do you believe he is responsible for this pattern? Is he a victim of fate, or do his actions cause these negative consequences?
9. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
10. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)