|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) A map of Ireland.
(c) Bread and jam.
(d) Dirty magazines.
2. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
(a) Mrs. Meagher has typhoid.
(b) Mrs. Meagher's husband did not send home any wages.
(c) Mrs. Meagher's sons have behavior problems.
(d) Mrs. Meagher is losing her hair.
3. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) A bag of potatoes.
(c) A bag of coal.
(d) New clothes.
4. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Irish dancing lessons.
(d) Reading lessons.
5. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has conjunctivitis.
(d) He broke his leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
2. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
3. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
4. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
5. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
2. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
3. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
4. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
5. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
6. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
7. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
8. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
9. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
10. Describe the circumstances that lead the McCourt family back to Ireland in Chapter 1.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)