|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(b) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(c) There isn't enough room for another child.
(d) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
2. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
(b) The mattress has fleas.
(c) There is too much noise from outside.
(d) The heat does not work.
3. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
(a) Frank peels Mr. Sheehan's potatoes.
(b) Frank delivers coal with Mr. Sheehan.
(c) Frank cleans Mr. Sheehan's lavatory.
(d) Frank sells newspapers.
4. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) Peter beats him up.
(b) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(c) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(d) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
5. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
(a) On alcohol at the pub.
(b) At the baseball game.
(c) On dirty magazines.
(d) At the cinema.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
2. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
3. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
4. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
5. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
2. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
3. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
4. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
5. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
6. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
7. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
8. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
9. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
10. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)