|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A bag of potatoes.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) A bag of coal.
2. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(b) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(c) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(d) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
3. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(b) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(c) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(d) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
4. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) Dirty magazines.
(c) Bread and jam.
(d) A map of Ireland.
5. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He has growing pains.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He ate bad bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
2. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
4. Why is Frank hospitalized?
5. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
2. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
3. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
8. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
9. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
10. When Frank arrives home from the hospital in Chapter 8, he realizes that Malachy is unemployed again. Should Frank be surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)