|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
(b) Frank sold the food.
(c) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
(d) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
2. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(b) The families usually move to England.
(c) They do not see their fathers.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
3. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) Closing them for three days.
(b) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(c) Washing them with salt water.
(d) St. Anthony's spit.
4. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(b) Malachy lost his job again.
(c) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
5. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
(a) He was spending time with Paddy.
(b) Frank stole money to go to the cinema.
(c) They learned he skipped school.
(d) Frank stole apples from the orchard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
2. Why does Mickey die?
3. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
4. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
5. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
2. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
3. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
4. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
6. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
7. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
8. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
9. Why is Frank hesitant to tell Angela about his job for Mrs. Finucane in Chapter 16?
10. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)