|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He is fighting with Frank.
(b) He comes home late.
(c) He steals bread from school.
(d) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
2. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A James Cagney movie.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A science fiction thriller.
(d) A Disney cartoon.
3. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(b) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(c) There isn't enough room for another child.
(d) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
4. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
(a) The Sarsfield Barracks soldiers.
(b) Pat Sheehan.
(c) The officers from the IRA office.
(d) His mother.
5. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) The families usually move to England.
(b) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
(c) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(d) They do not see their fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
2. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
3. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
4. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
5. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
2. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
3. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
4. Describe your first impression of Angela's mother in Chapter 2. What kind of woman does she appear to be?
5. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
6. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
8. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
9. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)