|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
(b) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
(c) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
(d) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
2. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) A new bag of coal.
(b) New clothes for the children.
(c) Brother Michael.
(d) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
3. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He comes home late.
(b) He is fighting with Frank.
(c) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
(d) He steals bread from school.
4. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) They do not see their fathers.
(b) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(c) The families usually move to England.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
5. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(b) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(c) He has come to the wrong office.
(d) The IRA is all out of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
2. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
3. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
4. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
5. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nora Molloy is often institutionalized in the asylum. How does she feel about these hospitalizations? How are Nora's plight and Angela's plight similar?
2. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
3. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
4. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
5. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
6. Discuss Malachy's attitude towards work in Chapter 3.
7. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
8. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
9. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
10. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)