|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) Because he has been drinking on the job.
(b) Because Angela came to his work.
(c) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
(d) He was late to work.
2. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
(a) At the cinema.
(b) On alcohol at the pub.
(c) On dirty magazines.
(d) At the baseball game.
3. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(b) There is better food in Germany.
(c) The war is profitable for Irish families.
(d) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
(a) Malachy finds a temporary job.
(b) The family begs on the street.
(c) The police take up a collection to pay their bus fare.
(d) Malachy sells his possessions.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
(a) That they would never drink.
(b) That they would go to work like him.
(c) That they would die for Ireland.
(d) That they would always protect their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
2. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
3. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
4. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
5. What is the Confraternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, the McCourt children have begun to mimic their mother's behavior towards Malachy when he comes home drunk. Describe how they act and whether you think Malachy deserves this.
2. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
3. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
4. Grandpa McCourt sends the family money in Chapter 7, and Malachy spends it on alcohol. Why is this particular act more despicable than Malachy's others?
5. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
6. Compare and contrast the character of Fintain with Frank.
7. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
8. Why does Peter Dooley want to read the news on the BBC radio? What do you think of his goals?
9. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
10. In Chapter 2, why do you think the officials at the St. Vincent de Paul Society are hesitant to help the McCourts?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)