|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(b) He believes there is work there.
(c) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(d) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
2. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(b) The IRA is completely out of money.
(c) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(d) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
3. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(d) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
4. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
(a) That it is an "affliction."
(b) That it is "respectful."
(c) Frank doesn't care about the new baby's name.
(d) That it sounds like a girl's name.
5. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He brings the boys food.
(b) He dismisses class early.
(c) He likes America.
(d) He sleeps in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
2. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
3. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
4. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
5. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
2. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
3. Why do you think Frank attempts to baptize Mrs. Harrington in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 5, we see again Angela questioning her faith. What is causing her to lose faith?
5. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
6. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
7. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
8. What is the overall tone of Chapter 1? What events or details indicate that?
9. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
10. Young Malachy leaves Agnes's home and hides at the house on Roden Lane. Why does he run away, and what does this tell you about Malachy's character?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)