|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He ate bad bread.
(c) He has growing pains.
(d) He has pneumonia.
2. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He fights with Frank.
(d) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
3. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(b) American History.
4. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A pub.
(b) The butcher's shop.
(c) A potato farm.
(d) A cement factory.
5. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
(a) On the street.
(b) Inside a homeless shelter.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) In the police barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank miss his collection?
2. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
3. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
4. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
5. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, why is the family shamed when no telegram arrives?
2. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
3. Consider the image of Malachy placing a pint of beer on Eugene's coffin in Chapter 2. What does this image represent to you? What does it mean?
4. What does Grandma's attitude towards first communion and first confession in Chapter 4 tell you about the role of Catholicism in their lives?
5. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
6. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
7. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
8. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
9. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
10. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)