|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "Gulliver's Travels."
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) "The Tempest."
(d) "A Modest Proposal."
2. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) Angela wants to move there.
(b) His father is living in England.
(c) He is tired of Ireland.
(d) America has joined the war.
3. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The butcher's shop.
(b) A cement factory.
(c) A potato farm.
(d) A pub.
4. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
(a) He wanted to escape the weather of Ireland.
(b) He was looking for better job opportunities.
(c) He wanted to meet Angela.
(d) He is wanted for crimes committed while fighting for the IRA.
5. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
(b) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(c) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(d) He is not feeling well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
2. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
3. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
4. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
5. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank is hospitalized again in Chapter 9. What might this tell you about his overall health, and what might be the cause of it?
2. How does the reader see Frank's emerging sexuality in Chapter 8?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
4. Describe why Frank is ridiculed in Chapter 3 by his classmates when coming home from the butcher, and what this says about the children he goes to school with.
5. Why is Frank so reluctant to take dance lessons in Chapter 5, and why is his mother so insistent that he take them?
6. In Chapter 6, Paddy Clohessy's father has consumption. What does this tell you about their living situation?
7. Describe the treatment of the boys in Frank's class in Chapter 6 by the teachers and headmasters.
8. Describe Paddy Clohessy's life as seen in Chapter 4. Do you think he is better or worse off than Frank?
9. Do you feel it was necessary for the McCourts, in Chapter 3, to move from the room on Hartstronge Street to Roden Lane? Why or why not?
10. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)