|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
(a) The telegram boy was fired.
(b) Malachy did not send any money home.
(c) The telegram boy had the wrong address.
(d) Angela and the children were not home to receive it.
2. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He fights with Frank.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
(d) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
3. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He is too poor.
(b) He is not old enough.
(c) He has not followed the rules in church.
(d) He has bad manners.
4. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
(a) He is always asking questions.
(b) He is always fighting with the other boys.
(c) His clothes are always dirty.
(d) He cannot read.
5. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(b) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
(c) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(d) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
2. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
5. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Agnes buys Frank new clothes. Why is this so surprising? Why do you think she does it?
2. Why do you think the author chose to end the book with a single word?
3. What does Frank miss most about the hospital when he arrives home in Chapter 8? Would you feel the same way?
4. Why does Frank feel sorry for the Spellacies in Chapter 7?
5. How does Frank find out that he is a bastard in Chapter 11? What does this mean for him?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Angela tells Malachy she is done having children. What is she really saying, considering their religious background?
7. Why is Mikey not considered a "proper" Catholic?
8. There are several instances where Frank begins to show his rebellious nature in Chapter 5. Describe these instances.
9. Consider the difference in attitude towards the children that Aunt Agnes and Pa Keating have in Chapter 10. Why do you think they are so different? How do they differ?
10. In Chapter 9, Mr. Downes tells Angela that Malachy is drinking away all of the money in London. Why do you think this is so shameful to the family?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)