|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
(b) South Africa.
2. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is caught skipping school.
(b) He steals some food from the other children.
(c) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(d) He is caught cheating.
3. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He steals bread from school.
(b) He comes home late.
(c) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
(d) He is fighting with Frank.
4. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
5. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
(b) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
(c) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
(d) Frank sold the food.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
2. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
3. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
5. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, the reader sees just how strained the relationship between Frank and Laman has become. Why do you think their relationship is the way it is?
2. Why is Frank's job with John Hannon in Chapter 11 a mixed blessing?
3. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse Malachy and his family bus fare home in Chapter 2?
4. Describe the scene in town on Fridays in Chapter 3 when work is finished. What is the overall atmosphere? How are Angela's feelings different than those of the other women in town?
5. Describe Frank's experience delivering telegrams to the Carmody house in Chapter 15. How is he feeling? Was this an expected occurrence?
6. Describe the effect Margaret's death has on the family in Chapter 1.
7. In Chapter 7, Frank gets and loses two jobs. Reflect on what this shows about the stability of his life.
8. Why do you think Angela is so disappointed in Frank in Chapter 17 when he has his first legal drink?
9. What is Frank's motivation for throwing Mrs. Finucane's ledger into the water?
10. In Chapter 14, what events occur that show Frank's emerging independence?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)