|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(b) Carry her bags of coal.
(c) Read to her.
(d) Walk her dog.
2. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He works in a shop.
(b) He delivers telegrams.
(c) He delivers coal.
(d) He works in a factory.
3. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Margaret.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(d) With Angela's cousin Laman.
4. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was stealing.
(b) Frank was fighting.
(c) Frank was out past his curfew.
(d) Frank was drinking.
5. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is hostile and unkind.
(b) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(c) She is welcoming.
(d) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
6. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) A new drum.
(b) An apple.
(c) New boots.
(d) A book.
7. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(b) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(c) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(d) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
8. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Her dress is ripped.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) She is begging for charity at churches.
(d) She is drunk.
9. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Beethoven and Mozart.
(b) Classical Irish jigs.
(c) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(d) The Beatles.
10. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Five bags of coal.
(b) Several new books about Ireland.
(c) Forty copies of page 16.
(d) Bread and jam from Angela.
11. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He misses his mother.
(b) He is sick with pneumonia.
(c) He has a dirty diaper.
(d) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
12. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Irish Oak.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Sea Merchant.
(d) The Ocean's Guide.
13. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
(b) Steals her money.
(c) Takes her letters and throws them away.
(d) Reads all of her books.
14. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(b) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(c) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(d) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
15. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he could own a factory.
(b) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(c) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
(d) So that he can make his father proud.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
2. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
3. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
4. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
5. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)