|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) She is impressed with his reading.
(b) He has been stealing books.
(c) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(d) He has been misbehaving at school.
2. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To work in a factory in England.
(b) To India.
(c) To America.
(d) To the pub.
3. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) He is missing school because of work.
(b) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(c) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(d) The work is too difficult for him.
4. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) For a garage.
(b) Loading coal.
(c) Delivering newspapers.
(d) Reading to the elderly.
5. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is begging for charity at churches.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) Her dress is ripped.
(d) She is drunk.
6. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(b) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(c) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(d) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
7. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) He is angry with Frank.
(b) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(c) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
(d) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
8. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
(b) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(c) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(d) He is trying to scare his aunt.
9. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was drinking.
(b) Frank was stealing.
(c) Frank was fighting.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
10. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Agnes can better provide for the children.
(b) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(c) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(d) Frank is misbehaving.
11. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) No one is allowed to visit her.
(b) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
12. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(b) He steals it.
(c) He borrows money from Grandma.
(d) He goes to Kathleen's store.
13. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He will be home before Christmas.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) There is more money coming.
(d) He has lost his job.
14. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Margaret.
(d) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
15. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her bag of potatoes.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) Her new candlesticks.
(d) Her sherry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
2. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
4. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
5. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)