|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(b) Agnes can better provide for the children.
(c) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(d) Frank is misbehaving.
2. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Building one out of junk.
(b) Stealing the bike.
(c) Buying one from Kathleen.
(d) Borrowing it from Laman.
3. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Beethoven and Mozart.
(b) Classical Irish jigs.
(c) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(d) The Beatles.
4. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(b) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(c) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(d) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
5. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(b) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(c) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(d) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
6. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(b) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(c) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(d) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
7. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(c) New York.
8. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has passed away.
(b) Angela is missing.
(c) Her house is on fire.
(d) She has stolen all of the money.
9. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He steals it.
(b) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(c) He borrows money from Grandma.
(d) He goes to Kathleen's store.
10. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(b) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(c) Tutoring students at school.
(d) At the barbership.
11. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is hostile and unkind.
(b) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(c) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(d) She is welcoming.
12. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) There is more money coming.
(b) He has lost his job.
(c) He is staying in London.
(d) He will be home before Christmas.
13. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Several new books about Ireland.
(b) Five bags of coal.
(c) Forty copies of page 16.
(d) Bread and jam from Angela.
14. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
(b) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
(c) She must be in hell.
(d) She must be in heaven.
15. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(b) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(c) She takes him to meet his boss.
(d) She buys him new clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
2. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
3. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
5. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)