|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(b) He could have brought Angela with him.
(c) He could have traveled to America sooner.
(d) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
2. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
3. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
(b) Frank should quit school.
(c) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
(d) Frank should go home to Angela.
4. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) He wants to go back to Italy.
(b) His mother died.
(c) His wife died.
(d) He is sick with pneumonia.
5. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To work in a factory in England.
(b) To the pub.
(c) To India.
(d) To America.
6. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) His grandmother's.
(b) The home on Roden Lane.
(c) Mikey Molloy's house.
(d) The land by the river.
7. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank and young Malachy.
(b) No one is allowed to visit her.
(c) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
8. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Getting gangrene.
(b) Getting consumption.
(c) Dying of pneumonia.
(d) Dying of typhoid.
9. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(b) She has gone crazy.
(c) She is tired of working.
10. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
(b) Paddy won money gambling.
(c) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
(d) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
11. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To give it to Patricia.
(b) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
(c) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(d) To sell it for food money.
12. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(b) He has been misbehaving at school.
(c) He has been stealing books.
(d) She is impressed with his reading.
13. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She never tips the delivery boys.
(b) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(c) She has consumption.
(d) There are rumors that she is very mean.
14. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank is misbehaving.
(b) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(c) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(d) Agnes can better provide for the children.
15. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is welcoming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
2. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
3. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
4. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
5. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)