|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
(b) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(c) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(d) He is angry with Frank.
2. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been sick.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) He has new clothes.
(d) He has put on weight.
3. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
(b) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(c) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(d) Mikey's father quits his job.
4. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(a) New York.
5. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She falls down the stairs.
(b) She cannnot cook.
(c) She has a wart on her face.
(d) She uses a chamber pot.
6. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Getting gangrene.
(b) Dying of typhoid.
(c) Dying of pneumonia.
(d) Getting consumption.
7. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(b) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
(c) To give it to Patricia.
(d) To sell it for food money.
8. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) A new drum.
(b) New boots.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
9. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
(a) Agnes' house.
(b) Margaret's house.
(c) Paddy's house.
(d) Pat Sheehan's house.
10. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) There is more money coming.
(c) He will be home before Christmas.
(d) He is staying in London.
11. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
(b) Steals her money.
(c) Reads all of her books.
(d) Takes her letters and throws them away.
12. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) The home on Roden Lane.
(b) The land by the river.
(c) His grandmother's.
(d) Mikey Molloy's house.
13. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(b) He does not know how to do the job.
(c) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(d) He brings his mother to work with him.
14. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
(b) She must be in heaven.
(c) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
(d) She must be in hell.
15. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(b) She would want all of the money.
(c) She would be proud of him.
(d) She would not approve.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
2. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)