|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) There is more money coming.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He will be home before Christmas.
2. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(b) He could have brought Angela with him.
(c) He could have traveled to America sooner.
(d) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
3. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(b) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(c) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(d) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
4. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(b) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(c) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(d) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
5. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Reads all of her books.
(b) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
(c) Steals her money.
(d) Takes her letters and throws them away.
6. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is begging for charity at churches.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) Her dress is ripped.
(d) She is drunk.
7. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Working in a factory in London.
(b) Caring for an elderly man.
(c) Shoveling coal.
(d) Reading to children.
8. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He packs it for America.
(b) He throws it in the river.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He gives it to Agnes.
9. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To work in a factory in England.
(b) To America.
(c) To India.
(d) To the pub.
10. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he can make his father proud.
(b) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(c) So that he could own a factory.
(d) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
11. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) In a shelter.
(b) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(c) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(d) With Margaret.
12. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) His wife died.
(c) His mother died.
(d) He wants to go back to Italy.
13. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A bottle of Guiness.
(c) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
(d) A new coat.
14. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To give it to Patricia.
(b) To sell it for food money.
(c) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(d) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
15. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(b) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(c) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(d) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
2. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
3. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
4. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
5. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)