|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(b) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
(c) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(d) He is angry with Frank.
2. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Dying of pneumonia.
(b) Getting gangrene.
(c) Dying of typhoid.
(d) Getting consumption.
3. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(b) Classical Irish jigs.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) Beethoven and Mozart.
4. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(b) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(c) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
(d) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
5. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He has a dirty diaper.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He is sick with pneumonia.
6. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Shoveling coal.
(b) Reading to children.
(c) Working in a factory in London.
(d) Caring for an elderly man.
7. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was drinking.
(b) Frank was out past his curfew.
(c) Frank was fighting.
(d) Frank was stealing.
8. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He borrows money from Grandma.
(b) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(c) He steals it.
(d) He goes to Kathleen's store.
9. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He squints because of the sun.
(b) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(c) He is tired and falling asleep.
(d) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
10. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Stealing the bike.
(b) Borrowing it from Laman.
(c) Buying one from Kathleen.
(d) Building one out of junk.
11. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) Mikey Molloy's house.
(b) His grandmother's.
(c) The land by the river.
(d) The home on Roden Lane.
12. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(b) There are rumors that she is very mean.
(c) She never tips the delivery boys.
(d) She has consumption.
13. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
(a) When the children have completed their chores.
(b) When Agnes is not around.
(c) When he has extra money.
(d) When he is able to steal food.
14. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) There is more money coming.
(d) He will be home before Christmas.
15. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He spends the evening at the pub.
(b) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(c) He repays Aunt Aggie.
(d) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
2. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
3. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
4. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
5. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)