|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(b) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(c) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(d) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
2. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Read to her.
(b) Walk her dog.
(c) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(d) Carry her bags of coal.
3. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Reading to children.
(b) Working in a factory in London.
(c) Caring for an elderly man.
(d) Shoveling coal.
4. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Her dress is ripped.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is begging for charity at churches.
5. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want all of the money.
(b) She would be proud of him.
(c) She would not approve.
(d) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
6. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
(a) He is reading inappropriate material.
(b) He is making too much noise.
(c) He is stealing books.
(d) He was eating in the library.
7. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(b) Margaret and Agnes.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) No one is allowed to visit her.
8. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A bottle of Guiness.
(d) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
9. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) New boots.
(b) A book.
(c) A new drum.
(d) An apple.
10. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(b) He is missing school because of work.
(c) The work is too difficult for him.
(d) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
11. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Steals her money.
(b) Takes her letters and throws them away.
(c) Reads all of her books.
(d) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
12. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He spends the evening at the pub.
(b) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
(c) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(d) He repays Aunt Aggie.
13. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He delivers telegrams.
(b) He delivers coal.
(c) He works in a factory.
(d) He works in a shop.
14. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) His mother died.
(b) He is sick with pneumonia.
(c) His wife died.
(d) He wants to go back to Italy.
15. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) Angela is missing.
(b) Her house is on fire.
(c) She has passed away.
(d) She has stolen all of the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
2. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
3. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
5. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)