|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) There is more money coming.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) He will be home before Christmas.
(d) He has lost his job.
2. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Carry her bags of coal.
(b) Walk her dog.
(c) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(d) Read to her.
3. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He delivers coal.
(b) He works in a factory.
(c) He delivers telegrams.
(d) He works in a shop.
4. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
(a) To sell it for food money.
(b) To make hearts for their football uniforms.
(c) To give it to Aunt Agnes.
(d) To give it to Patricia.
5. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Sea Merchant.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The Ocean's Guide.
6. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her new candlesticks.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) Her sherry.
(d) Her bag of potatoes.
7. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(b) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(c) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(d) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
8. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
(b) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
(c) Paddy won money gambling.
(d) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
9. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(b) He is missing school because of work.
(c) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(d) The work is too difficult for him.
10. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Frank was losing letters.
(b) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
(c) Frank was stealing letters.
(d) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
11. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
(a) Frank attacked Rose.
(b) Frank walked Rose home.
(c) Frank proposed to Rose.
(d) Frank made fun of Rose.
12. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Working in a factory in London.
(b) Caring for an elderly man.
(c) Shoveling coal.
(d) Reading to children.
13. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(b) At the barbership.
(c) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(d) Tutoring students at school.
14. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
(b) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(c) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(d) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
15. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
(a) For Mrs. O'Connell.
(b) At the post office.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
2. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
3. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
4. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
5. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)