|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
(a) Frank attacked Rose.
(b) Frank proposed to Rose.
(c) Frank walked Rose home.
(d) Frank made fun of Rose.
2. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) A new drum.
(b) New boots.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
3. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Margaret and Agnes.
(b) No one is allowed to visit her.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
4. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(b) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(c) He does not know how to do the job.
(d) He brings his mother to work with him.
5. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was fighting.
(b) Frank was drinking.
(c) Frank was out past his curfew.
(d) Frank was stealing.
6. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is hostile and unkind.
(c) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(d) She is welcoming.
7. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He has a dirty diaper.
8. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(c) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
9. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) There is more money coming.
(c) He will be home before Christmas.
(d) He is staying in London.
10. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(b) He is trying to scare his aunt.
(c) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(d) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
11. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(b) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(c) With Margaret.
(d) In a shelter.
12. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He throws it in the river.
(c) He packs it for America.
(d) He gives it to Agnes.
13. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
(b) Frank should go home to Angela.
(c) Frank should quit school.
(d) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
14. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(c) Beethoven and Mozart.
(d) Classical Irish jigs.
15. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(b) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(c) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(d) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
2. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
3. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
5. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)