|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(b) At the barbership.
(c) Tutoring students at school.
(d) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
2. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Sea Merchant.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The Ocean's Guide.
3. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She buys him new clothes.
(b) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(c) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(d) She takes him to meet his boss.
4. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(b) With Margaret.
(c) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(d) In a shelter.
5. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(b) She left town without him saying goodbye.
(c) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(d) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
6. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
(a) Agnes' house.
(b) Margaret's house.
(c) Paddy's house.
(d) Pat Sheehan's house.
7. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have traveled to America sooner.
(b) He could have brought Angela with him.
(c) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(d) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
8. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has stolen all of the money.
(b) Her house is on fire.
(c) She has passed away.
(d) Angela is missing.
9. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He is tired and falling asleep.
(b) He squints because of the sun.
(c) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(d) He blinks to clean his eyes.
10. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
(a) Frank attacked Rose.
(b) Frank made fun of Rose.
(c) Frank walked Rose home.
(d) Frank proposed to Rose.
11. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To India.
(b) To America.
(c) To work in a factory in England.
(d) To the pub.
12. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) There is more money coming.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He will be home before Christmas.
13. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(b) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(c) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(d) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
14. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want all of the money.
(b) She would be proud of him.
(c) She would not approve.
(d) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
15. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He repays Aunt Aggie.
(b) He spends the evening at the pub.
(c) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
(d) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
2. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
3. Why does Frank want Angela's red flapper dress?
4. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
5. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)