|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(b) He has been stealing books.
(c) He has been misbehaving at school.
(d) She is impressed with his reading.
2. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Reading to the elderly.
(b) Delivering newspapers.
(c) Loading coal.
(d) For a garage.
3. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(b) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
(c) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(d) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
4. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(b) He is missing school because of work.
(c) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(d) The work is too difficult for him.
5. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She never tips the delivery boys.
(b) She has consumption.
(c) There are rumors that she is very mean.
(d) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
6. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(b) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(c) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(d) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
7. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank and young Malachy.
(b) Margaret and Agnes.
(c) No one is allowed to visit her.
(d) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
8. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He spends the evening at the pub.
(b) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
(c) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(d) He repays Aunt Aggie.
9. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
(b) She must be in hell.
(c) She must be in heaven.
(d) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
10. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has stolen all of the money.
(b) Angela is missing.
(c) She has passed away.
(d) Her house is on fire.
11. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Buying one from Kathleen.
(b) Borrowing it from Laman.
(c) Stealing the bike.
(d) Building one out of junk.
12. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
13. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He squints because of the sun.
(b) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(c) He is tired and falling asleep.
(d) He blinks to clean his eyes.
14. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She takes him to meet his boss.
(b) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(c) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(d) She buys him new clothes.
15. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(b) They steal money to buy it.
(c) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
(d) They steal it by causing a distraction.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
2. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
3. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
4. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
5. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)