|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She falls down the stairs.
(b) She has a wart on her face.
(c) She uses a chamber pot.
(d) She cannnot cook.
2. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Getting consumption.
(b) Dying of typhoid.
(c) Getting gangrene.
(d) Dying of pneumonia.
3. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(c) She is tired of working.
(d) She has gone crazy.
4. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her bag of potatoes.
(b) Her new candlesticks.
(c) Her fur coat.
(d) Her sherry.
5. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) Mikey Molloy's house.
(b) His grandmother's.
(c) The land by the river.
(d) The home on Roden Lane.
6. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) His mother died.
(b) He wants to go back to Italy.
(c) His wife died.
(d) He is sick with pneumonia.
7. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was drinking.
(b) Frank was stealing.
(c) Frank was fighting.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
8. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank is misbehaving.
(b) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(c) Agnes can better provide for the children.
(d) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
9. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Bread and jam from Angela.
(b) Several new books about Ireland.
(c) Five bags of coal.
(d) Forty copies of page 16.
10. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She takes him to meet his boss.
(b) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(c) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(d) She buys him new clothes.
11. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He does not know how to do the job.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He brings his mother to work with him.
(d) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
12. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(b) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(c) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(d) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
13. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Frank was losing letters.
(b) Frank was stealing letters.
(c) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(d) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
14. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(b) Mikey's father quits his job.
(c) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(d) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
15. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) There are rumors that she is very mean.
(b) She never tips the delivery boys.
(c) She has consumption.
(d) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
3. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
4. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)