|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To America.
(b) To the pub.
(c) To India.
(d) To work in a factory in England.
2. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) He has been stealing books.
(b) He has been misbehaving at school.
(c) She is impressed with his reading.
(d) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
3. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want all of the money.
(b) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(c) She would not approve.
(d) She would be proud of him.
4. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
(a) He is reading inappropriate material.
(b) He is stealing books.
(c) He is making too much noise.
(d) He was eating in the library.
5. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(b) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(c) He is angry with Frank.
(d) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
6. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He is employed.
(b) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(c) He is smarter than the other children at school.
(d) He is getting older.
7. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He goes to Kathleen's store.
(b) He steals it.
(c) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(d) He borrows money from Grandma.
8. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Stealing the bike.
(b) Borrowing it from Laman.
(c) Buying one from Kathleen.
(d) Building one out of junk.
9. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He throws it in the river.
(b) He gives it to Agnes.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He packs it for America.
10. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(b) She has gone crazy.
(d) She is tired of working.
11. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
(a) He steals food.
(b) He gets a job selling books.
(c) He borrows money from Margaret.
(d) He gets the food from Angela.
12. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(c) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
13. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(b) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(c) He is trying to scare his aunt.
(d) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
14. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The American Traveler.
(b) The Ocean's Guide.
(c) The Sea Merchant.
(d) The Irish Oak.
15. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Reading to the elderly.
(b) For a garage.
(c) Delivering newspapers.
(d) Loading coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
4. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
5. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)