|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have traveled to America sooner.
(b) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(c) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
(d) He could have brought Angela with him.
2. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(b) She is tired of working.
(d) She has gone crazy.
3. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Several new books about Ireland.
(b) Five bags of coal.
(c) Bread and jam from Angela.
(d) Forty copies of page 16.
4. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Margaret.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(d) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
5. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He spends the evening at the pub.
(b) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(c) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
(d) He repays Aunt Aggie.
6. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) New boots.
(b) A new drum.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
7. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) The home on Roden Lane.
(b) The land by the river.
(c) Mikey Molloy's house.
(d) His grandmother's.
8. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(b) He is getting older.
(c) He is employed.
(d) He is smarter than the other children at school.
9. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He borrows money from Grandma.
(b) He goes to Kathleen's store.
(c) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(d) He steals it.
10. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) He has new clothes.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) He has put on weight.
(d) Like he had been sick.
11. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He is tired and falling asleep.
(b) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(c) He squints because of the sun.
(d) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
12. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is welcoming.
(b) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
13. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Frank just got a job.
(b) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(c) Frank got an A in school
(d) Mikey is turning 16.
14. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Ocean's Guide.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Sea Merchant.
(d) The Irish Oak.
15. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
(b) He is trying to scare his aunt.
(c) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(d) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
2. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
3. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
4. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
5. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)