|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Ocean's Guide.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The Sea Merchant.
2. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Building one out of junk.
(b) Borrowing it from Laman.
(c) Buying one from Kathleen.
(d) Stealing the bike.
3. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was out past his curfew.
(b) Frank was stealing.
(c) Frank was fighting.
(d) Frank was drinking.
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he could own a factory.
(b) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(c) So that he can make his father proud.
(d) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
5. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Frank is misbehaving.
(b) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
(c) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(d) Agnes can better provide for the children.
6. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is welcoming.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
7. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
(a) In the library.
(b) At the post office.
(c) For Mrs. O'Connell.
(d) At the pub.
8. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have brought Angela with him.
(b) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(c) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
(d) He could have traveled to America sooner.
9. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
(a) He gets a job selling books.
(b) He borrows money from Margaret.
(c) He gets the food from Angela.
(d) He steals food.
10. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He squints because of the sun.
(b) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(c) He is tired and falling asleep.
(d) He blinks to clean his eyes.
11. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her sherry.
(b) Her new candlesticks.
(c) Her bag of potatoes.
(d) Her fur coat.
12. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
(b) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(c) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(d) Mikey's father quits his job.
13. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would not approve.
(b) She would want all of the money.
(c) She would be proud of him.
(d) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
14. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(b) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
15. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) It says that he should never return to Laman's.
(b) It urges him to come home.
(c) It asks him to go find his father.
(d) It begs him to go back to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
2. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
3. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
4. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
5. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)