|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(b) Frank just got a job.
(c) Mikey is turning 16.
(d) Frank got an A in school
2. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
(a) For Mrs. O'Connell.
(b) At the post office.
(c) At the pub.
(d) In the library.
3. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(d) New York.
4. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The American Traveler.
(b) The Sea Merchant.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The Ocean's Guide.
5. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Her dress is ripped.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is begging for charity at churches.
(d) She had disappeared overnight.
6. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She has consumption.
(b) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(c) There are rumors that she is very mean.
(d) She never tips the delivery boys.
7. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(b) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
(c) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(d) He is trying to scare his aunt.
8. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(b) He brings his mother to work with him.
(c) He does not know how to do the job.
(d) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
9. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
(a) He has been misbehaving at school.
(b) Frank wants to skip a grade level.
(c) She is impressed with his reading.
(d) He has been stealing books.
10. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
(b) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(c) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(d) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
11. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(b) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is welcoming.
12. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A bottle of Guiness.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A new coat.
(d) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
13. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(b) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
(c) He is angry with Frank.
(d) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
14. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She buys him new clothes.
(b) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
(c) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(d) She takes him to meet his boss.
15. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was drinking.
(b) Frank was fighting.
(c) Frank was stealing.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
2. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
3. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
4. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)