|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
(a) Frank walked Rose home.
(b) Frank attacked Rose.
(c) Frank made fun of Rose.
(d) Frank proposed to Rose.
2. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) It urges him to come home.
(b) It says that he should never return to Laman's.
(c) It begs him to go back to work.
(d) It asks him to go find his father.
3. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want all of the money.
(b) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(c) She would be proud of him.
(d) She would not approve.
4. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
(b) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(c) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(d) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
5. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At the barbership.
(b) Tutoring students at school.
(c) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(d) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
6. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(b) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(c) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(d) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
7. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been sick.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) He has new clothes.
(d) He has put on weight.
8. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He throws it in the river.
(b) He gives it to Agnes.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He packs it for America.
9. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
(b) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
(c) Paddy won money gambling.
(d) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
10. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He is staying in London.
(b) He has lost his job.
(c) He will be home before Christmas.
(d) There is more money coming.
11. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(b) Frank just got a job.
(c) Frank got an A in school
(d) Mikey is turning 16.
12. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he can make his father proud.
(b) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
(c) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(d) So that he could own a factory.
13. What is wrong with Angela's health in Chapter 10?
(a) She has gone crazy.
(b) She is tired of working.
14. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He repays Aunt Aggie.
(b) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(c) He spends the evening at the pub.
(d) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
15. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(b) He is sick with pneumonia.
(c) He misses his mother.
(d) He has a dirty diaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
2. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
3. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
4. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
5. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)