|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would not approve.
(b) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(c) She would be proud of him.
(d) She would want all of the money.
2. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(b) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
(c) He could have brought Angela with him.
(d) He could have traveled to America sooner.
3. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) She must be in hell.
(b) She must be in heaven.
(c) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
(d) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
4. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) He has new clothes.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) Like he had been sick.
(d) He has put on weight.
5. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(b) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(c) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(d) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
6. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
(a) When he has extra money.
(b) When the children have completed their chores.
(c) When Agnes is not around.
(d) When he is able to steal food.
7. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He is getting older.
(b) He is smarter than the other children at school.
(c) He is employed.
(d) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
8. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He is staying in London.
(b) He will be home before Christmas.
(c) There is more money coming.
(d) He has lost his job.
9. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) The home on Roden Lane.
(b) His grandmother's.
(c) The land by the river.
(d) Mikey Molloy's house.
10. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He gives it to Agnes.
(c) He throws it in the river.
(d) He packs it for America.
11. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Getting gangrene.
(b) Dying of pneumonia.
(c) Getting consumption.
(d) Dying of typhoid.
12. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(b) She left town without him saying goodbye.
(c) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(d) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
13. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her fur coat.
(b) Her sherry.
(c) Her bag of potatoes.
(d) Her new candlesticks.
14. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) He is trying to scare his aunt.
(b) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(c) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(d) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
15. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was out past his curfew.
(b) Frank was fighting.
(c) Frank was stealing.
(d) Frank was drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
2. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
3. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
4. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
5. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)