|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Bread and jam from Angela.
(b) Five bags of coal.
(c) Several new books about Ireland.
(d) Forty copies of page 16.
2. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he could own a factory.
(b) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(c) So that he can make his father proud.
(d) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
3. When does Pa Keating feed the children in Chapter 10?
(a) When he is able to steal food.
(b) When the children have completed their chores.
(c) When Agnes is not around.
(d) When he has extra money.
4. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He has a dirty diaper.
5. Where does Aunt Aggie take Frank before he officially begins work at the Post Office?
(a) She buys him new clothes.
(b) She takes him on the postal route so he can see where he is going.
(c) She takes him to meet his boss.
(d) She takes him to the pub for a drink.
6. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(b) Frank was losing letters.
(c) Frank was stealing letters.
(d) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
7. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) New boots.
(b) A book.
(c) An apple.
(d) A new drum.
8. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(b) Mikey's father quits his job.
(c) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(d) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
9. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) No one is allowed to visit her.
(b) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
10. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(b) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(c) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(d) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
11. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her sherry.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) Her bag of potatoes.
(d) Her new candlesticks.
12. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(b) She is hostile and unkind.
(c) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(d) She is welcoming.
13. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Reading to the elderly.
(b) Loading coal.
(c) Delivering newspapers.
(d) For a garage.
14. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
(a) Agnes' house.
(b) Pat Sheehan's house.
(c) Paddy's house.
(d) Margaret's house.
15. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He brings his mother to work with him.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(d) He does not know how to do the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
2. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
3. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
5. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)