|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(b) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
(c) At the barbership.
(d) Tutoring students at school.
2. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want all of the money.
(b) She would be proud of him.
(c) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(d) She would not approve.
3. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(b) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(c) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
(d) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
4. What does Frank sometimes do when Mrs. Finucane falls asleep?
(a) Takes her letters and throws them away.
(b) Reads all of her books.
(c) Leaves to go visit Mikey.
(d) Steals her money.
5. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She falls down the stairs.
(b) She cannnot cook.
(c) She has a wart on her face.
(d) She uses a chamber pot.
6. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(b) Frank was stealing letters.
(c) Frank was losing letters.
(d) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
7. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
(a) A new drum.
(b) An apple.
(c) New boots.
(d) A book.
8. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is hostile and unkind.
(c) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(d) She is welcoming.
9. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) He squints because of the sun.
(b) He is tired and falling asleep.
(c) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(d) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
10. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Frank just got a job.
(b) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(c) Frank got an A in school
(d) Mikey is turning 16.
11. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Ocean's Guide.
(b) The Sea Merchant.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The American Traveler.
12. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(b) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(c) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(d) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
13. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Delivering newspapers.
(b) Reading to the elderly.
(c) For a garage.
(d) Loading coal.
14. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
(a) Forty copies of page 16.
(b) Several new books about Ireland.
(c) Five bags of coal.
(d) Bread and jam from Angela.
15. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Borrowing it from Laman.
(b) Building one out of junk.
(c) Buying one from Kathleen.
(d) Stealing the bike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
2. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
3. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
5. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)