|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He spends the evening at the pub.
(b) He repays Aunt Aggie.
(c) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(d) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
2. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is welcoming.
(c) She is hostile and unkind.
(d) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
3. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
(a) She cannnot cook.
(b) She uses a chamber pot.
(c) She has a wart on her face.
(d) She falls down the stairs.
4. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(b) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(c) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
(d) Mikey's father quits his job.
5. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Working in a factory in London.
(b) Shoveling coal.
(c) Reading to children.
(d) Caring for an elderly man.
6. What does the Franciscan priest tell Frank about Theresa?
(a) She must be in hell.
(b) Her spirit is haunting Frank.
(c) She must be in heaven.
(d) He doesn't know where her soul ended up.
7. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) He arrives early.
(b) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
(c) The train crashes.
(d) He does not arrive until the next day.
8. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She never tips the delivery boys.
(b) She has consumption.
(c) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(d) There are rumors that she is very mean.
9. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(b) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(c) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(d) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
10. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He is staying in London.
(c) There is more money coming.
(d) He will be home before Christmas.
11. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They steal it by causing a distraction.
(b) They steal money to buy it.
(c) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(d) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
12. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) No one is allowed to visit her.
(b) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
13. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He has a dirty diaper.
(b) He is sick with pneumonia.
(c) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(d) He misses his mother.
14. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(b) He squints because of the sun.
(c) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(d) He is tired and falling asleep.
15. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(b) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
(c) Frank was losing letters.
(d) Frank was stealing letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
2. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
3. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
4. How does Frank feed himself at Pat Sheehan's?
5. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)