|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Sea Merchant.
(b) The American Traveler.
(c) The Ocean's Guide.
(d) The Irish Oak.
2. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
(b) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
(c) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(d) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
3. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
(a) Her sherry.
(b) Her bag of potatoes.
(c) Her fur coat.
(d) Her new candlesticks.
4. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The work is too difficult for him.
(b) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(c) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(d) He is missing school because of work.
5. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is begging for charity at churches.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) Her dress is ripped.
(d) She is drunk.
6. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He delivers telegrams.
(b) He works in a factory.
(c) He works in a shop.
(d) He delivers coal.
7. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A new coat.
(d) A bottle of Guiness.
8. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
(a) He arrives early.
(b) They are told that Malachy is not coming home at all.
(c) He does not arrive until the next day.
(d) The train crashes.
9. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(b) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(c) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(d) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
10. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(b) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(c) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
(d) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
11. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(d) With Margaret.
12. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
(a) It is the only thing he has that does not have holes.
(b) He washes his clothes and is waiting for them to dry.
(c) He enjoys cross-dressing.
(d) He is trying to scare his aunt.
13. What does Mrs. Finucane want Frank to do?
(a) Read to her.
(b) Carry her bags of coal.
(c) Write threatening letters to her customers.
(d) Walk her dog.
14. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(b) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(c) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
(d) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
15. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was drinking.
(b) Frank was stealing.
(c) Frank was fighting.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
2. Why do the McCourt children laugh at Aunt Agnes while they are staying with her in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
4. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
5. What does Frank give Michael when he comes to visit in Chapter 14?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)