|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is begging for charity at churches.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) Her dress is ripped.
(d) She is drunk.
2. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(b) No one is allowed to visit her.
(c) Margaret and Agnes.
(d) Frank and young Malachy.
3. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
(a) He will be home before Christmas.
(b) He has lost his job.
(c) He is staying in London.
(d) There is more money coming.
4. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Frank got an A in school
(b) Frank just got a job.
(c) Mikey is turning 16.
(d) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
5. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He does not know how to do the job.
(d) He brings his mother to work with him.
6. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
(b) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(c) He could have brought Angela with him.
(d) He could have traveled to America sooner.
7. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
(a) With Angela's cousin Laman.
(b) In a shelter.
(c) With Malachy's family in Northern Ireland.
(d) With Margaret.
8. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Frank should go home to Angela.
(b) Frank should quit school.
(c) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
(d) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
9. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
(a) Frank was like a son to Mr. Hannon.
(b) Frank was a better worker than Mr. Hannon.
(c) Mr. Hannon hated the way Frank worked.
(d) Mr. Hannon was annoyed by Frank's mannerisms.
10. Where does Frank get a new job in Chapter 16?
(a) At the barbership.
(b) Tutoring students at school.
(c) At Mrs. O'Connell's shop.
(d) At Eason's delivering newspapers.
11. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(b) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
(c) They steal money to buy it.
(d) They steal it by causing a distraction.
12. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(b) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(c) She left town without him saying goodbye.
(d) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
13. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To America.
(b) To India.
(c) To the pub.
(d) To work in a factory in England.
14. What does Mr. Hannon do for a living?
(a) He works in a shop.
(b) He delivers coal.
(c) He delivers telegrams.
(d) He works in a factory.
15. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been sick.
(b) He has put on weight.
(c) Like he had been in a fight.
(d) He has new clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
2. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
3. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
5. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)