|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) She has passed away.
(b) Angela is missing.
(c) She has stolen all of the money.
(d) Her house is on fire.
2. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(b) New York.
3. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
(a) His eyes have an uncontrollable twitch.
(b) He blinks to clean his eyes.
(c) He squints because of the sun.
(d) He is tired and falling asleep.
4. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The American Traveler.
(b) The Sea Merchant.
(c) The Irish Oak.
(d) The Ocean's Guide.
5. Why does young Malachy run away from Aunt Agnes's home in Chapter 10?
(a) Aunt Agnes hit him when he asks for food.
(b) There is no place for him to sleep at Agnes's.
(c) He misses his mother and goes to see her.
(d) He is angry with Frank.
6. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Classical Irish jigs.
(b) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) Beethoven and Mozart.
7. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
(a) So that he could own a factory.
(b) So that he can make his father proud.
(c) So that he can tutor Mr. Hannon's children.
(d) So that he can eventually leave Ireland.
8. How does Agnes treat the children when they stay with her?
(a) She is quiet and does not react to their presence.
(b) She is ecstatic to have children in her home.
(c) She is welcoming.
(d) She is hostile and unkind.
9. What great change occurs in Mikey's father in Chapter 11?
(a) Mikey's father decides to stop drinking.
(b) Mikey's father leaves his mother.
(c) Mikey's father has the consumption.
(d) Mikey's father quits his job.
10. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(b) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(c) The work is too difficult for him.
(d) He is missing school because of work.
11. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
(a) Mikey is turning 16.
(b) Malachy returned home with money for the family.
(c) Frank got an A in school
(d) Frank just got a job.
12. Why do Frank and Laman fight in Chapter 13?
(a) Laman won't lend Frank the bike.
(b) Laman found out about Frank's behavior in school.
(c) Laman took the parts Frank wanted for the bike.
(d) Laman found out Frank stole the bike.
13. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
(a) For Mrs. O'Connell.
(b) At the pub.
(c) At the post office.
(d) In the library.
14. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
(b) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
(c) Paddy won money gambling.
(d) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
15. What is Angela's new job in Chapter 17?
(a) Shoveling coal.
(b) Caring for an elderly man.
(c) Reading to children.
(d) Working in a factory in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
2. Why is Frank wearing a dress in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
4. What does Malachy's letter say to Angela in Chapter 12?
5. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)