|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank provide food in Chapter 10?
(a) He goes to Kathleen's store.
(b) Mikey Molloy's mother sends them bread.
(c) He borrows money from Grandma.
(d) He steals it.
2. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(b) He is employed.
(c) He is smarter than the other children at school.
(d) He is getting older.
3. Why does Mr. Hannon need Frank's help at work?
(a) Mr. Hannon cannot get to work at such an early hour.
(b) Mr. Hannon has two much work for one person.
(c) Mr. Hannon would like to share his wealth with Frank.
(d) Mr. Hannon has bad legs.
4. Why is Frank fired from the post office?
(a) Mr. Harrington reports him for bad behavior.
(b) Frank was not showing up to work on time.
(c) Frank was stealing letters.
(d) Frank was losing letters.
5. Where is the priest that Frank meets on the boat from?
(a) New York.
6. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been in a fight.
(b) Like he had been sick.
(c) He has put on weight.
(d) He has new clothes.
7. Why is Angela upset with Frank when he returns from the pub at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Frank was stealing.
(b) Frank was fighting.
(c) Frank was drinking.
(d) Frank was out past his curfew.
8. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(b) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
(c) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(d) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
9. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They steal it by causing a distraction.
(b) They steal money to buy it.
(c) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(d) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
10. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Frank should quit school.
(b) Frank should go home to Angela.
(c) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
(d) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
11. Why does Frank regret not taking the postal exam?
(a) He could have traveled to America sooner.
(b) He could have supplied food and shoes to his family.
(c) He could have brought Angela with him.
(d) He could have upgraded his seat on the boat.
12. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) Her parents forced her to go to America.
(b) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) She left town without him saying goodbye.
13. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
(a) Dying of typhoid.
(b) Getting consumption.
(c) Dying of pneumonia.
(d) Getting gangrene.
14. Where does Frank plan on getting a bike for his school trip in Chapter 13?
(a) Building one out of junk.
(b) Buying one from Kathleen.
(c) Borrowing it from Laman.
(d) Stealing the bike.
15. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He has a dirty diaper.
(b) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(c) He misses his mother.
(d) He is sick with pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank called Blinky at school?
2. Why does Mrs. O'Riordan write a note to Angela about Frank?
3. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
4. Which of the following items does Frank take from Mrs. Finucane?
5. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)