|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Frank will take to America?
(a) The Ocean's Guide.
(b) The Sea Merchant.
(c) The American Traveler.
(d) The Irish Oak.
2. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) Classical Irish jigs.
(d) Beethoven and Mozart.
3. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) Delivering newspapers.
(b) Reading to the elderly.
(c) For a garage.
(d) Loading coal.
4. Where does Malachy run away to in Chapter 10?
(a) Mikey Molloy's house.
(b) The land by the river.
(c) His grandmother's.
(d) The home on Roden Lane.
5. In Chapter 13, where does Frank plan to work when he turns fourteen?
(a) At the pub.
(b) In the library.
(c) At the post office.
(d) For Mrs. O'Connell.
6. Why does Alphie get so upset in Chapter 10?
(a) He is sick with pneumonia.
(b) He is accidentally hit with a piece of coal.
(c) He has a dirty diaper.
(d) He misses his mother.
7. Why is Frank nervous about delivering the telegram to Theresa Carmody's house?
(a) She never tips the delivery boys.
(b) She has consumption.
(c) Her family has a reputation for drinking too much.
(d) There are rumors that she is very mean.
8. How does Frank spend his first wages in Chapter 15?
(a) He buys new clothes for himself and his mother.
(b) He takes Michael out to a movie and buys him something to eat.
(c) He spends the evening at the pub.
(d) He repays Aunt Aggie.
9. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To India.
(b) To the pub.
(c) To America.
(d) To work in a factory in England.
10. Why is Frank ashamed of Angela at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Her dress is ripped.
(b) She had disappeared overnight.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is begging for charity at churches.
11. Why does Frank feel guilty after Theresa is gone?
(a) She and Frank had a relationship outside of marriage and he is worried her soul is condemned.
(b) She left town without him saying goodbye.
(c) She is taken away to the asylum because of her relationship with Frank.
(d) Her parents forced her to go to America.
12. How would Angela feel about Frank's work for Mrs. Finucane?
(a) She would want him to quit school and work full time.
(b) She would want all of the money.
(c) She would not approve.
(d) She would be proud of him.
13. What does Malachy bring Angela as a gift for Christmas in Chapter 12?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A bottle of Guiness.
(c) A half-eaten box of chocolates.
(d) A loaf of bread.
14. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) Angela is missing.
(b) She has passed away.
(c) She has stolen all of the money.
(d) Her house is on fire.
15. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been sick.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) He has new clothes.
(d) He has put on weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
2. What happens when the family waits for Malachy at the train station?
3. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
4. Why does Gerry get upset with Frank in Chapter 17?
5. What does Bridey tell Frank about his relationship with Mr. Hannon?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)