|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Paddy Clohessy's family doing well in Chapter 15?
(a) Paddy won money gambling.
(b) Paddy's father died and his life insurance policy was huge.
(c) Mrs. Clohessy remarried a rich man.
(d) Paddy and his father now work in England and send money home.
2. What does Agnes say at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Frank should go home to Angela.
(b) That Frank is doing more to help his family than his father ever did.
(c) Frank should quit school.
(d) That Frank is a fool for wearing a dress.
3. In Chapter 13, where does Mr. O'Halloran tell Frank to go?
(a) To America.
(b) To the pub.
(c) To work in a factory in England.
(d) To India.
4. Where does Frank go to stay in Chapter 13?
(a) Agnes' house.
(b) Paddy's house.
(c) Pat Sheehan's house.
(d) Margaret's house.
5. Why is Mr. Harrington upset at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) His mother died.
(b) His wife died.
(c) He is sick with pneumonia.
(d) He wants to go back to Italy.
6. Why is Frank thrown out of the library?
(a) He is stealing books.
(b) He is reading inappropriate material.
(c) He is making too much noise.
(d) He was eating in the library.
7. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) He is missing school because of work.
(b) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(c) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(d) The work is too difficult for him.
8. What does Angela's note to Frank say at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) It says that he should never return to Laman's.
(b) It urges him to come home.
(c) It asks him to go find his father.
(d) It begs him to go back to work.
9. Who is able to visit Angela in the hospital when she is ill in Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Timoney and Laman.
(b) No one is allowed to visit her.
(c) Frank and young Malachy.
(d) Margaret and Agnes.
10. What does Frank find when returning with Mrs. Finucane's sherry?
(a) Her house is on fire.
(b) Angela is missing.
(c) She has passed away.
(d) She has stolen all of the money.
11. Why are the other boys laughing at Frank when he first reports for work at the Post Office?
(a) He does not know how to do the job.
(b) He is dirty and his clothes are a mess.
(c) He shows up to work without being offered a job.
(d) He brings his mother to work with him.
12. What does Malachy look like when he arrives home from England in Chapter 12?
(a) Like he had been sick.
(b) Like he had been in a fight.
(c) He has put on weight.
(d) He has new clothes.
13. What type of music do Frank and Mrs. Purcell listen to?
(a) Classical Irish jigs.
(b) Beethoven and Mozart.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
14. Why do the children go to live with Aunt Agnes for awhile in Chapter 10?
(a) Angela is sick and hospitalized.
(b) Frank is misbehaving.
(c) Agnes can better provide for the children.
(d) Agnes is sick and needs help at home.
15. Where is young Malachy working in Chapter 17?
(a) For a garage.
(b) Delivering newspapers.
(c) Reading to the elderly.
(d) Loading coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
2. What does Frank sell for ten pounds in Chapter 17?
3. What does Frank do with Mrs. Finucane's ledger?
4. Where does the family stay when they are evicted in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)