|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
(a) The priest has come to visit the family.
(b) The Pope's picture has been left outside in the rain.
(c) Frank has left his prayer book outside.
(d) Frank has thrown up his first communion.
2. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
(a) In Limerick.
(b) On the boat coming to America.
(c) In church.
(d) At a party in America.
3. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
(a) He brings Mr. Timoney books.
(b) He cleans Mr. Timoney's home.
(c) He reads to Mr. Timoney.
(d) He delivers coal to Mr. Timoney.
4. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(b) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(c) He rushes him to the doctor.
(d) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
5. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
(a) He is always fighting with the other boys.
(b) He is always asking questions.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) His clothes are always dirty.
6. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) His middle name is "Dot."
(b) He is round, like a dot.
(c) He has a large birthmark on his face.
(d) He is small, like a dot.
7. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
(b) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
(c) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
(d) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
8. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Irish dancing lessons.
(d) Reading lessons.
9. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) There is consumption going around.
(b) It is cold outside.
(c) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
(d) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
10. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
(a) He had tried to convert her to Buddhism.
(b) She went to work for Mrs. Finucane.
(c) She was in love with another man.
(d) Mr. Timoney did not pay her well enough.
11. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
(a) Selfish and greedy, refusing to teach the boys about Catholicism.
(b) Quiet and timid, answering questions slowly and only when asked multiple times.
(c) Kind and nurturing to the boys and excited to talk about his faith.
(d) Devoted to his Catholicism, but hates answering questions about it.
12. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) The IRA is all out of money.
(b) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(c) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(d) He has come to the wrong office.
13. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Frank's bad behavior.
(b) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(c) Their trip to Limerick.
(d) Frank's illness.
14. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
(b) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
(c) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(d) His grandmother wants to send her love.
15. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has conjunctivitis.
(d) He broke his leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
2. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
3. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
4. Why does Mickey die?
5. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)