|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy misses his family.
(b) Malachy has been arrested.
(c) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(d) Malachy drinks too much.
2. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He likes America.
(b) He brings the boys food.
(c) He sleeps in class.
(d) He dismisses class early.
3. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) They cannot afford any groceries.
(b) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(c) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(d) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
4. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(d) He teases the other boys with it.
5. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(a) American History.
6. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
(a) His clothes are always dirty.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He is always asking questions.
(d) He is always fighting with the other boys.
7. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(b) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(c) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(d) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
8. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) There is better food in Germany.
(b) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(c) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
(d) The war is profitable for Irish families.
9. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) Because he has been drinking on the job.
(b) He was late to work.
(c) Because Angela came to his work.
(d) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
10. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
(b) He i working late and she is worried.
(c) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(d) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
11. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He ate bad bread.
(b) He has growing pains.
(c) He drank too much.
(d) He has pneumonia.
12. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
(a) Angela and the children were not home to receive it.
(b) The telegram boy had the wrong address.
(c) The telegram boy was fired.
(d) Malachy did not send any money home.
13. Why does Mickey die?
(a) He is in a bad fight.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has consumption.
14. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(b) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
(c) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(d) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
15. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
(a) He had tried to convert her to Buddhism.
(b) She went to work for Mrs. Finucane.
(c) She was in love with another man.
(d) Mr. Timoney did not pay her well enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
2. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
3. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
4. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)