|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has broken his arm.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has gained weight.
(d) He must have his tonsils removed.
2. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) He is small, like a dot.
(b) He is round, like a dot.
(c) His middle name is "Dot."
(d) He has a large birthmark on his face.
3. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He has not followed the rules in church.
(b) He has bad manners.
(c) He is too poor.
(d) He is not old enough.
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
(b) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
(c) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
(d) She does not want to be alone.
5. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) His confirmation.
(b) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
(c) To read a sermon.
(d) To become an altar boy.
6. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(b) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(c) There is less money for the charity to give.
(d) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
7. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Their trip to Limerick.
(b) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(c) Frank's bad behavior.
(d) Frank's illness.
8. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
(a) He spends all of the wages on alcohol.
(b) He is robbed walking home.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He spends all of the wages on new clothes for the children.
9. Why is Frank hospitalized?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has appendicitis.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has consumption.
10. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(b) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(c) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(d) She is in love with one of the doctors.
11. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Selling her belongings.
(b) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
(c) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(d) Going to the dispensary.
12. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She was always poor.
(b) She once dated a senator.
(c) She was a great student.
(d) She was an excellent dancer.
13. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
(a) They learned he skipped school.
(b) Frank stole apples from the orchard.
(c) He was spending time with Paddy.
(d) Frank stole money to go to the cinema.
14. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
(a) Malachy is drinking instead of attending the funeral.
(b) Malachy has spent the money intended for the funeral on alcohol.
(c) Malachy does not seem to be upset about Eugene's death.
(d) Malachy has put his glass on Eugene's coffin.
15. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has consumption.
(d) He has conjunctivitis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
2. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
3. What is the Confraternity?
4. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
5. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)