|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(b) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
(c) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(d) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
2. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(b) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
(c) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(d) Mr. Timoney passes away.
3. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
(a) Kind and nurturing to the boys and excited to talk about his faith.
(b) Selfish and greedy, refusing to teach the boys about Catholicism.
(c) Quiet and timid, answering questions slowly and only when asked multiple times.
(d) Devoted to his Catholicism, but hates answering questions about it.
4. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
(b) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
(c) He is kidnapped.
(d) He fights with Frank.
5. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
(a) They learned he skipped school.
(b) Frank stole apples from the orchard.
(c) Frank stole money to go to the cinema.
(d) He was spending time with Paddy.
6. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
(a) To give him his lunch.
(b) To sneak him into the cinema.
(c) To do his homework.
(d) To look at his naked sister.
7. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
(b) The mattress has fleas.
(c) There is too much noise from outside.
(d) The heat does not work.
8. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
(a) Pat Sheehan.
(b) The Sarsfield Barracks soldiers.
(c) His mother.
(d) The officers from the IRA office.
9. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(b) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(c) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(d) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
10. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
(b) Dr. O'Connor.
(d) Nurse Rita.
11. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
(b) It is cold outside.
(c) There is consumption going around.
(d) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
12. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He sleeps in class.
(b) He likes America.
(c) He dismisses class early.
(d) He brings the boys food.
13. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) On the street.
(c) Inside a homeless shelter.
(d) In the police barracks.
14. What job does Frank take on for Margaret?
(a) Fetching coal.
(b) Taking food to Galvin.
(c) Delivering newspapers.
(d) Cooking dinner.
15. What is the Confraternity?
(a) A dancing class.
(b) An employment agency.
(c) A soccer club.
(d) A religious organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
2. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
3. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
4. Why does Frank miss his collection?
5. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)