|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(d) American History.
2. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A potato farm.
(b) The butcher's shop.
(c) A cement factory.
(d) A pub.
3. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
(a) She went to work for Mrs. Finucane.
(b) She was in love with another man.
(c) Mr. Timoney did not pay her well enough.
(d) He had tried to convert her to Buddhism.
4. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Going to the dispensary.
(b) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(c) Selling her belongings.
(d) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
5. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is caught cheating.
(b) He steals some food from the other children.
(c) He is caught skipping school.
(d) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
6. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(b) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
(c) There is less money for the charity to give.
(d) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
7. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He brings the boys food.
(b) He likes America.
(c) He sleeps in class.
(d) He dismisses class early.
8. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
(a) The body was cremated.
(b) Margaret was given a proper Catholic burial.
(c) The body disappeared from the morgue.
(d) Malachy sold her body for drink money.
9. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) The IRA is all out of money.
(b) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(c) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(d) He has come to the wrong office.
10. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
(b) There is consumption going around.
(c) It is cold outside.
(d) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
11. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) There is better food in Germany.
(b) The war is profitable for Irish families.
(c) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(d) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
12. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He broke his leg.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has conjunctivitis.
13. What is the Confraternity?
(a) An employment agency.
(b) A religious organization.
(c) A soccer club.
(d) A dancing class.
14. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has gained weight.
(c) He has broken his arm.
(d) He must have his tonsils removed.
15. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) Bread and jam.
(b) Dirty magazines.
(c) A chocolate bar.
(d) A map of Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
2. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
3. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
4. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
5. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)