|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
(a) He wanted to escape the weather of Ireland.
(b) He wanted to meet Angela.
(c) He was looking for better job opportunities.
(d) He is wanted for crimes committed while fighting for the IRA.
2. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) New clothes for the children.
(b) Brother Michael.
(c) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
(d) A new bag of coal.
3. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) He is small, like a dot.
(b) His middle name is "Dot."
(c) He has a large birthmark on his face.
(d) He is round, like a dot.
4. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) Angela wants to move there.
(b) America has joined the war.
(c) He is tired of Ireland.
(d) His father is living in England.
5. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To read a sermon.
(b) To become an altar boy.
(c) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
(d) His confirmation.
6. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(b) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(c) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(d) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
7. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) He throws it away.
(b) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(c) He teases the other boys with it.
(d) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
8. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(b) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(c) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(d) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
9. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has conjunctivitis.
10. What job does Frank take on for Margaret?
(a) Taking food to Galvin.
(b) Delivering newspapers.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Fetching coal.
11. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(b) He rushes him to the doctor.
(c) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(d) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
12. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(b) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(c) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(d) There isn't enough room for another child.
13. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "Gulliver's Travels."
(b) "A Modest Proposal."
(c) "The Tempest."
(d) The Holy Bible.
14. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(b) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(c) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(d) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
15. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(b) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(c) They cannot afford any groceries.
(d) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
2. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
3. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
4. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
5. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)