|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To become a doctor.
(b) To travel to China and adopt children.
(c) To run away to India.
(d) To start his own business in America.
2. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) They do not see their fathers.
(b) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(c) The families usually move to England.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
3. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
(b) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
(c) She does not want to be alone.
(d) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
4. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
5. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(b) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
(c) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(d) Peter beats him up.
6. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
(a) Potato soup.
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) They are not fed.
(d) Scraps from last night's dinner.
7. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) The money the students collect for the church.
(b) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
(c) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
(d) Food collected for the charity.
8. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He broke his leg.
(c) He has conjunctivitis.
(d) He has pneumonia.
9. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
10. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(b) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(c) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(d) Oliver is very sick.
11. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The new house is less expensive.
(b) The old house was flooded.
(c) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(d) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
12. What is the Confraternity?
(a) A religious organization.
(b) A dancing class.
(c) A soccer club.
(d) An employment agency.
13. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A science fiction thriller.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A James Cagney movie.
(d) A Disney cartoon.
14. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(b) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
(c) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(d) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
15. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(b) Malachy lost his job again.
(c) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
3. What is Peter's punishment when he gets into trouble with his money?
4. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
5. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)