|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(b) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
(c) There is less money for the charity to give.
(d) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
2. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(b) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(c) They cannot afford any groceries.
(d) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
3. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(b) American History.
4. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(b) He was listening to dirty stories.
(c) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(d) He was drinking in the alley after school.
5. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
(a) In church.
(b) On the boat coming to America.
(c) At a party in America.
(d) In Limerick.
6. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
(a) The older Malachy's dentures have gotten stuck in young Malachy's mouth.
(b) Young Malachy has drank some of his father's liquor.
(c) Young Malachy has caught pneumonia.
(d) He has consumption.
7. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(b) The IRA is completely out of money.
(c) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
(d) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
8. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) He is tired of Ireland.
(b) America has joined the war.
(c) His father is living in England.
(d) Angela wants to move there.
9. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(b) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(c) They are wearing girls' boots.
(d) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
10. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(b) He is caught skipping school.
(c) He steals some food from the other children.
(d) He is caught cheating.
11. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
(b) Frank sold the food.
(c) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
(d) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
12. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(b) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
(c) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(d) He is not feeling well.
13. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) In the police barracks.
(c) Inside a homeless shelter.
(d) On the street.
14. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
(b) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(c) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(d) Mr. Timoney passes away.
15. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
(b) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(c) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(d) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
2. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
4. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
5. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)