|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
(a) Young Malachy has caught pneumonia.
(b) Young Malachy has drank some of his father's liquor.
(c) The older Malachy's dentures have gotten stuck in young Malachy's mouth.
(d) He has consumption.
2. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
(b) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
(c) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
(d) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
3. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
(a) Malachy has put his glass on Eugene's coffin.
(b) Malachy has spent the money intended for the funeral on alcohol.
(c) Malachy is drinking instead of attending the funeral.
(d) Malachy does not seem to be upset about Eugene's death.
4. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
(a) Mickey is a Protestant.
(b) Mickey is a liar.
(c) Mickey looked at dirty pictures.
(d) Mickey is a thief.
5. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
(b) The money the students collect for the church.
(c) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
(d) Food collected for the charity.
6. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
(a) He cleans Mr. Timoney's home.
(b) He brings Mr. Timoney books.
(c) He reads to Mr. Timoney.
(d) He delivers coal to Mr. Timoney.
7. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He is put to death.
(b) He has puppies.
(c) He becomes very ill.
(d) He runs away.
8. What is the Confraternity?
(a) An employment agency.
(b) A soccer club.
(c) A dancing class.
(d) A religious organization.
9. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) Because he has been drinking on the job.
(b) Because Angela came to his work.
(c) He was late to work.
(d) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
10. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
11. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
(a) The children are complaining that they have not learned enough science.
(b) Mr. O'Neill should not be teaching fourth graders geometry.
(c) There are several books missing from Mr. O'Neill's class.
(d) Mr. O'Neill should not be striking the students.
12. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(b) He was listening to dirty stories.
(c) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(d) He was drinking in the alley after school.
13. Why is Frank disappointed that his mother is not speaking to his grandmother in Chapter 5?
(a) She cannot pick them up from school.
(b) The family has no one to watch the children.
(c) Angela is in a terrible mood.
(d) They cannot borrow sugar or tea from her.
14. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(b) There isn't enough room for another child.
(c) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(d) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
15. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) Angela wants to move there.
(b) He is tired of Ireland.
(c) America has joined the war.
(d) His father is living in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
2. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
3. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What job does Frank take on for Margaret?
5. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)