|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
(a) Margaret was given a proper Catholic burial.
(b) Malachy sold her body for drink money.
(c) The body disappeared from the morgue.
(d) The body was cremated.
2. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He has left Paddy's mother.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He works too many hours.
3. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(b) Oliver is very sick.
(c) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(d) Frank has become tired of the stories.
4. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
(a) Mickey is a liar.
(b) Mickey is a thief.
(c) Mickey is a Protestant.
(d) Mickey looked at dirty pictures.
5. What is Peter's punishment when he gets into trouble with his money?
(a) He cannot have supper for two days.
(b) He has to work extra hours for his mother.
(c) He is grounded.
(d) He is locked in the coal hole with the rats.
6. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(b) American History.
7. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He must have his tonsils removed.
(c) He has broken his arm.
(d) He has pneumonia.
8. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
(b) To show her children where their father is working.
(c) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(d) To apply for a job herself.
9. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
(d) She is depressed because Margaret died.
10. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
(a) On the street.
(b) In the police barracks.
(c) Inside a homeless shelter.
(d) At a friend's house.
11. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
(a) At the baseball game.
(b) On dirty magazines.
(c) On alcohol at the pub.
(d) At the cinema.
12. Why is Frank disappointed that his mother is not speaking to his grandmother in Chapter 5?
(a) Angela is in a terrible mood.
(b) They cannot borrow sugar or tea from her.
(c) She cannot pick them up from school.
(d) The family has no one to watch the children.
13. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
(a) To see Frank.
(b) To attend his mother's funeral.
(c) To retire.
(d) For a summer vacation.
14. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(b) Malachy lost his job again.
(c) Frank lost his prayerbook.
(d) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
15. What is the Confraternity?
(a) A religious organization.
(b) A dancing class.
(c) An employment agency.
(d) A soccer club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
2. How does Mikey get hurt?
3. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
4. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
5. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)