|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He rushes him to the doctor.
(b) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(c) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(d) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
2. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
(a) They visit their friend Mikey.
(b) They go work at the Post Office.
(c) They help Angela with her housework.
(d) They go to an orchard to drink water and eat apples.
3. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(b) Malachy lost his job again.
(c) Frank lost his prayerbook.
(d) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
4. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
(b) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
(c) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
(d) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
5. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
6. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) Washing them with salt water.
(b) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(c) St. Anthony's spit.
(d) Closing them for three days.
7. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
(b) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(c) His grandmother wants to send her love.
(d) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
8. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
(b) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(c) The families usually move to England.
(d) They do not see their fathers.
9. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
(a) That they would always protect their mother.
(b) That they would go to work like him.
(c) That they would never drink.
(d) That they would die for Ireland.
10. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
(b) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(c) There is better food in Germany.
(d) The war is profitable for Irish families.
11. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
(b) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
(c) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
(d) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
12. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He has puppies.
(b) He becomes very ill.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He runs away.
13. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(b) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
(c) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(d) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
14. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
(b) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(c) Peter beats him up.
(d) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
15. What is the Confraternity?
(a) A religious organization.
(b) A soccer club.
(c) A dancing class.
(d) An employment agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
2. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
3. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
4. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
5. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)