|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She once dated a senator.
(b) She was always poor.
(c) She was a great student.
(d) She was an excellent dancer.
2. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
(b) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(c) To show her children where their father is working.
(d) To apply for a job herself.
3. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To become an altar boy.
(b) His confirmation.
(c) To read a sermon.
(d) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
4. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
(a) Malachy is disgusted by his own name.
(b) Malachy was drunk and the clerk writing the birth certificate did not understand what he was saying.
(c) The child is named for Angela's father.
(d) The child is given an American name.
5. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
(a) The body was cremated.
(b) Margaret was given a proper Catholic burial.
(c) The body disappeared from the morgue.
(d) Malachy sold her body for drink money.
6. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) They are wearing girls' boots.
(b) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(c) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(d) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
7. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
(a) Join the army in America.
(b) Become a movie star in Bollywood.
(c) Play soccer against Britain.
(d) Read the news on the BBC.
8. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
(a) He delivers coal to Mr. Timoney.
(b) He cleans Mr. Timoney's home.
(c) He brings Mr. Timoney books.
(d) He reads to Mr. Timoney.
9. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) Angela does not know where the store is.
(b) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(c) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(d) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
10. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
(b) Nurse Rita.
(d) Dr. O'Connor.
11. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
(b) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(c) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(d) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
12. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A science fiction thriller.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A James Cagney movie.
(d) A Disney cartoon.
13. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Reading lessons.
(d) Irish dancing lessons.
14. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
15. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He has conjunctivitis.
(c) He has consumption.
(d) He has pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paddy's dream?
2. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
3. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
5. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)