|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To start his own business in America.
(b) To run away to India.
(c) To become a doctor.
(d) To travel to China and adopt children.
2. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He likes America.
(b) He sleeps in class.
(c) He dismisses class early.
(d) He brings the boys food.
3. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
(a) He wanted to meet Angela.
(b) He wanted to escape the weather of Ireland.
(c) He is wanted for crimes committed while fighting for the IRA.
(d) He was looking for better job opportunities.
4. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(b) Job opportunities up north.
(c) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(d) Frank's grandfather.
5. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A bag of coal.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) A bag of potatoes.
6. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
(a) Mrs. Meagher is losing her hair.
(b) Mrs. Meagher's sons have behavior problems.
(c) Mrs. Meagher has typhoid.
(d) Mrs. Meagher's husband did not send home any wages.
7. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(b) He has come to the wrong office.
(c) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(d) The IRA is all out of money.
8. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(b) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(c) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(d) They are wearing girls' boots.
9. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
(a) There will be no food at home.
(b) His father found out he went to the cinema.
(c) His mother has consumption.
(d) He has learned that his parents know he skipped school.
10. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) He is small, like a dot.
(b) His middle name is "Dot."
(c) He is round, like a dot.
(d) He has a large birthmark on his face.
11. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy drinks too much.
(b) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(c) Malachy misses his family.
(d) Malachy has been arrested.
12. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(b) Angela does not know where the store is.
(c) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(d) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
13. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(b) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(c) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
(d) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
14. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
(b) He comes home late.
(c) He is fighting with Frank.
(d) He steals bread from school.
15. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(b) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(c) They cannot afford any groceries.
(d) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
3. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
5. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)