|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He is put to death.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He becomes very ill.
(d) He has puppies.
2. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) America has joined the war.
(b) He is tired of Ireland.
(c) Angela wants to move there.
(d) His father is living in England.
3. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He dismisses class early.
(b) He brings the boys food.
(c) He sleeps in class.
(d) He likes America.
4. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
(a) On the boat coming to America.
(b) In church.
(c) In Limerick.
(d) At a party in America.
5. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
(b) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
(c) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
(d) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
6. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy misses his family.
(b) Malachy drinks too much.
(c) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(d) Malachy has been arrested.
7. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(b) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(c) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
(d) Peter beats him up.
8. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
(a) His father found out he went to the cinema.
(b) There will be no food at home.
(c) His mother has consumption.
(d) He has learned that his parents know he skipped school.
9. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
10. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(b) He rushes him to the doctor.
(c) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(d) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
11. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
(a) Bread and jam.
(b) They are not fed.
(c) Scraps from last night's dinner.
(d) Potato soup.
12. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(b) There is less money for the charity to give.
(c) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
(d) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
13. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) A map of Ireland.
(b) A chocolate bar.
(c) Dirty magazines.
(d) Bread and jam.
14. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
(a) Dr. O'Connor.
(b) Nurse Rita.
15. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
(a) Angela and the children were not home to receive it.
(b) Malachy did not send any money home.
(c) The telegram boy was fired.
(d) The telegram boy had the wrong address.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
2. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
3. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
4. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
5. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)