|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(b) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(c) Peter beats him up.
(d) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
2. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) The mattress has fleas.
(b) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
(c) There is too much noise from outside.
(d) The heat does not work.
3. Why does Mickey die?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He is in a bad fight.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has consumption.
4. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(d) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
5. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He works too many hours.
(c) He has left Paddy's mother.
(d) He has pneumonia.
6. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) A map of Ireland.
(c) Bread and jam.
(d) Dirty magazines.
7. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He steals bread from school.
(b) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
(c) He comes home late.
(d) He is fighting with Frank.
8. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He brings the boys food.
(b) He sleeps in class.
(c) He likes America.
(d) He dismisses class early.
9. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
(a) Quiet and timid, answering questions slowly and only when asked multiple times.
(b) Kind and nurturing to the boys and excited to talk about his faith.
(c) Selfish and greedy, refusing to teach the boys about Catholicism.
(d) Devoted to his Catholicism, but hates answering questions about it.
10. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
(b) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(c) He rushes him to the doctor.
(d) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
11. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(b) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(c) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(d) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
12. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
(b) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
(c) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
(d) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
13. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
(b) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(c) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
(d) His grandmother wants to send her love.
14. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(b) There isn't enough room for another child.
(c) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(d) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
15. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(b) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
(c) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(d) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
2. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
3. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
4. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
5. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)