|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
(b) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(c) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(d) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
2. Where does Frank get a job at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A pub.
(b) The butcher's shop.
(c) A cement factory.
(d) A potato farm.
3. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(b) American History.
4. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He must have his tonsils removed.
(c) He has broken his arm.
(d) He has pneumonia.
5. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She once dated a senator.
(b) She was always poor.
(c) She was an excellent dancer.
(d) She was a great student.
6. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
(a) Frank has thrown up his first communion.
(b) Frank has left his prayer book outside.
(c) The Pope's picture has been left outside in the rain.
(d) The priest has come to visit the family.
7. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Going to the dispensary.
(b) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(c) Selling her belongings.
(d) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
8. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
(b) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
(c) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
(d) She does not want to be alone.
9. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) His grandmother wants to send her love.
(b) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(c) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
(d) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
10. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) The IRA is all out of money.
(b) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(c) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(d) He has come to the wrong office.
11. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(b) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(c) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(d) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
12. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) The heat does not work.
(b) The mattress has fleas.
(c) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
(d) There is too much noise from outside.
13. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(b) He teases the other boys with it.
(c) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
(d) He throws it away.
14. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
(a) Malachy was drunk and the clerk writing the birth certificate did not understand what he was saying.
(b) The child is named for Angela's father.
(c) The child is given an American name.
(d) Malachy is disgusted by his own name.
15. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) They are wearing girls' boots.
(b) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(c) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(d) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
2. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
3. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
4. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
5. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)