|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
(a) He spends all of the wages on new clothes for the children.
(b) He spends all of the wages on alcohol.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is robbed walking home.
2. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To read a sermon.
(b) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
(c) His confirmation.
(d) To become an altar boy.
3. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
(a) The telegram boy had the wrong address.
(b) Malachy did not send any money home.
(c) The telegram boy was fired.
(d) Angela and the children were not home to receive it.
4. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
(b) She does not want to be alone.
(c) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
(d) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
5. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Irish dancing lessons.
(d) Reading lessons.
6. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) It is cold outside.
(b) There is consumption going around.
(c) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
(d) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
7. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
(a) They go to an orchard to drink water and eat apples.
(b) They go work at the Post Office.
(c) They help Angela with her housework.
(d) They visit their friend Mikey.
8. Why does Frank stop working for Mr. Timoney?
(a) Mr. Timoney finds someone else to work for him.
(b) Mr. Timoney passes away.
(c) Frank gets ill and cannot work.
(d) Mr. Timoney is placed in a senior citizens' home.
9. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(d) American History.
10. What is Peter's punishment when he gets into trouble with his money?
(a) He is grounded.
(b) He cannot have supper for two days.
(c) He is locked in the coal hole with the rats.
(d) He has to work extra hours for his mother.
11. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(b) Oliver is very sick.
(c) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(d) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
12. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(b) Malachy misses his family.
(c) Malachy drinks too much.
(d) Malachy has been arrested.
13. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(b) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(c) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
(d) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
14. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He works too many hours.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has left Paddy's mother.
15. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
(a) His mother.
(b) The officers from the IRA office.
(c) The Sarsfield Barracks soldiers.
(d) Pat Sheehan.
Short Answer Questions
1. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
3. How does Mikey get hurt?
4. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
5. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)