|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He is kidnapped.
(b) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
(c) He fights with Frank.
(d) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
2. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(b) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(c) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(d) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
3. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(b) They are wearing girls' boots.
(c) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(d) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
4. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy drinks too much.
(b) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(c) Malachy misses his family.
(d) Malachy has been arrested.
5. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
(a) On dirty magazines.
(b) On alcohol at the pub.
(c) At the cinema.
(d) At the baseball game.
6. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
(a) On the street.
(b) In the police barracks.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) Inside a homeless shelter.
7. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has consumption.
(b) She has diphtheria.
(c) She has rheumatic fever.
(d) She has pneumonia.
8. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To run away to India.
(b) To travel to China and adopt children.
(c) To start his own business in America.
(d) To become a doctor.
9. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
(a) Frank delivers coal with Mr. Sheehan.
(b) Frank sells newspapers.
(c) Frank cleans Mr. Sheehan's lavatory.
(d) Frank peels Mr. Sheehan's potatoes.
10. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
(a) The telegram boy was fired.
(b) Angela and the children were not home to receive it.
(c) The telegram boy had the wrong address.
(d) Malachy did not send any money home.
11. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) Brother Michael.
(b) New clothes for the children.
(c) A new bag of coal.
(d) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
12. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was listening to dirty stories.
(b) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(c) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(d) He was disrespectful to his mother.
13. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He has left Paddy's mother.
(d) He works too many hours.
14. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(b) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(c) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(d) She is in love with one of the doctors.
15. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
(a) To retire.
(b) For a summer vacation.
(c) To attend his mother's funeral.
(d) To see Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
2. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
3. How does Mikey get hurt?
4. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
5. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)