|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "A Modest Proposal."
(b) "The Tempest."
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) "Gulliver's Travels."
2. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
(d) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
3. What is Peter's punishment when he gets into trouble with his money?
(a) He is grounded.
(b) He cannot have supper for two days.
(c) He has to work extra hours for his mother.
(d) He is locked in the coal hole with the rats.
4. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) The heat does not work.
(b) There is too much noise from outside.
(c) The mattress has fleas.
(d) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(b) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(c) Oliver is very sick.
(d) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
6. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
(a) Frank stole money to go to the cinema.
(b) He was spending time with Paddy.
(c) Frank stole apples from the orchard.
(d) They learned he skipped school.
7. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
(a) Malachy sold her body for drink money.
(b) The body disappeared from the morgue.
(c) The body was cremated.
(d) Margaret was given a proper Catholic burial.
8. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He steals some food from the other children.
(b) He is caught cheating.
(c) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(d) He is caught skipping school.
9. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
(b) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(c) The new house is less expensive.
(d) The old house was flooded.
10. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has conjunctivitis.
(b) He broke his leg.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has consumption.
11. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He drank too much.
(c) He has growing pains.
(d) He ate bad bread.
12. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) New clothes.
(c) A bag of coal.
(d) A bag of potatoes.
13. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
(a) The family begs on the street.
(b) Malachy finds a temporary job.
(c) The police take up a collection to pay their bus fare.
(d) Malachy sells his possessions.
14. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy drinks too much.
(b) Malachy has been arrested.
(c) Malachy misses his family.
(d) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
15. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
(b) He steals bread from school.
(c) He comes home late.
(d) He is fighting with Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
2. Why is Frank disappointed that his mother is not speaking to his grandmother in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
4. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
5. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)