|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
(a) Quiet and timid, answering questions slowly and only when asked multiple times.
(b) Devoted to his Catholicism, but hates answering questions about it.
(c) Selfish and greedy, refusing to teach the boys about Catholicism.
(d) Kind and nurturing to the boys and excited to talk about his faith.
2. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He broke his leg.
(d) He has conjunctivitis.
3. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To travel to China and adopt children.
(b) To start his own business in America.
(c) To run away to India.
(d) To become a doctor.
4. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To become an altar boy.
(b) His confirmation.
(c) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
(d) To read a sermon.
5. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(b) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(c) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(d) They are wearing girls' boots.
6. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(b) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(c) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(d) They cannot afford any groceries.
7. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) His father is living in England.
(b) Angela wants to move there.
(c) America has joined the war.
(d) He is tired of Ireland.
8. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
(b) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
(c) Food collected for the charity.
(d) The money the students collect for the church.
9. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She was always poor.
(b) She once dated a senator.
(c) She was an excellent dancer.
(d) She was a great student.
10. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
(b) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(c) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
(d) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
11. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
(b) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(c) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(d) The IRA is completely out of money.
12. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
(b) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
(c) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
(d) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
13. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) An old American western.
(b) A Disney cartoon.
(c) A science fiction thriller.
(d) A James Cagney movie.
14. Why is Frank hospitalized?
(a) He has appendicitis.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has consumption.
15. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is robbed walking home.
(c) He spends all of the wages on alcohol.
(d) He spends all of the wages on new clothes for the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
2. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
3. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
4. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
5. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)