|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "The Tempest."
(b) "A Modest Proposal."
(c) "Gulliver's Travels."
(d) The Holy Bible.
2. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
(b) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
(c) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
(d) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
3. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
(b) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
(c) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(d) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
4. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(b) He steals some food from the other children.
(c) He is caught skipping school.
(d) He is caught cheating.
5. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy has been arrested.
(b) Malachy misses his family.
(c) Malachy drinks too much.
(d) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
6. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
(a) Read the news on the BBC.
(b) Play soccer against Britain.
(c) Join the army in America.
(d) Become a movie star in Bollywood.
7. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
(a) Frank dropped the food and it wasn't good anymore.
(b) Frank ate Galvin's food before he got to the kiln.
(c) Frank sold the food.
(d) Frank went to the cinema instead of taking the food.
8. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
(b) Because Angela came to his work.
(c) Because he has been drinking on the job.
(d) He was late to work.
9. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He i working late and she is worried.
(b) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
(c) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(d) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
10. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
(a) Potato soup.
(b) Scraps from last night's dinner.
(c) They are not fed.
(d) Bread and jam.
11. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(b) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
(c) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(d) He believes there is work there.
12. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was listening to dirty stories.
(b) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(c) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(d) He was disrespectful to his mother.
13. Why does Paddy get into trouble with his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) He steals bread from school.
(b) He is fighting with Frank.
(c) He comes home late.
(d) He is urinating against a wall instead of using the chamber pot.
14. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
(a) They want Angela's mother to come to America to visit.
(b) They want Angela's mother to send money so that Angela and her family can move back to Ireland.
(c) They want Angela's mother to take care of Frank.
(d) They want Angela's mother to convince Angela to leave Malachy.
15. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
(a) They go work at the Post Office.
(b) They go to an orchard to drink water and eat apples.
(c) They help Angela with her housework.
(d) They visit their friend Mikey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
2. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
3. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
4. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
5. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)