|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
(a) He was looking for better job opportunities.
(b) He wanted to escape the weather of Ireland.
(c) He wanted to meet Angela.
(d) He is wanted for crimes committed while fighting for the IRA.
2. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(b) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(c) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
(d) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
3. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
(b) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(c) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(d) The IRA is completely out of money.
4. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) Peter beats him up.
(b) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(c) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
(d) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
5. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He is too poor.
(b) He is not old enough.
(c) He has not followed the rules in church.
(d) He has bad manners.
6. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He likes America.
(b) He sleeps in class.
(c) He dismisses class early.
(d) He brings the boys food.
7. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "The Tempest."
(b) "A Modest Proposal."
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) "Gulliver's Travels."
8. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He has puppies.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He becomes very ill.
9. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He ate bad bread.
(c) He has growing pains.
(d) He has pneumonia.
10. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(a) American History.
11. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A science fiction thriller.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A Disney cartoon.
(d) A James Cagney movie.
12. Why does Angela cry on the way home from Paddy's home?
(a) She is upset with Frank for skipping school.
(b) She is happy to see Paddy's family.
(c) She is sad that Paddy's father is ill when she has known him for so long.
(d) She is relieved that Paddy is alright.
13. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) A map of Ireland.
(c) Dirty magazines.
(d) Bread and jam.
14. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(b) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
(c) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(d) A place where there is no rain.
15. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To become a doctor.
(b) To travel to China and adopt children.
(c) To run away to India.
(d) To start his own business in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
2. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
3. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
4. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
5. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)