|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(b) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(c) There is less money for the charity to give.
(d) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
2. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
(a) Young Malachy has caught pneumonia.
(b) The older Malachy's dentures have gotten stuck in young Malachy's mouth.
(c) He has consumption.
(d) Young Malachy has drank some of his father's liquor.
3. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(b) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(c) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
(d) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
4. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
(a) He is always asking questions.
(b) He is always fighting with the other boys.
(c) His clothes are always dirty.
(d) He cannot read.
5. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To show her children where their father is working.
(b) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(c) To apply for a job herself.
(d) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
6. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
(b) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(c) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(d) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
7. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
(a) His middle name is "Dot."
(b) He is round, like a dot.
(c) He has a large birthmark on his face.
(d) He is small, like a dot.
8. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
(b) He teases the other boys with it.
(c) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(d) He throws it away.
9. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) The money the students collect for the church.
(b) Food collected for the charity.
(c) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
(d) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
10. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has consumption.
(b) She has rheumatic fever.
(c) She has pneumonia.
(d) She has diphtheria.
11. How does Frank spend his tuition money?
(a) At the cinema.
(b) At the baseball game.
(c) On alcohol at the pub.
(d) On dirty magazines.
12. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
(a) Mrs. Meagher is losing her hair.
(b) Mrs. Meagher has typhoid.
(c) Mrs. Meagher's husband did not send home any wages.
(d) Mrs. Meagher's sons have behavior problems.
13. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
(a) That they would never drink.
(b) That they would die for Ireland.
(c) That they would always protect their mother.
(d) That they would go to work like him.
14. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Selling her belongings.
(b) Going to the dispensary.
(c) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(d) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
15. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
(b) There is consumption going around.
(c) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
(d) It is cold outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
2. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
3. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
4. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
5. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)