|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) Because Angela came to his work.
(b) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
(c) He was late to work.
(d) Because he has been drinking on the job.
2. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(b) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
(c) His grandmother wants to send her love.
(d) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
3. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has broken his arm.
(d) He must have his tonsils removed.
4. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(b) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
(c) Selling her belongings.
(d) Going to the dispensary.
5. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He i working late and she is worried.
(b) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
(c) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(d) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
6. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
(a) He was looking for better job opportunities.
(b) He wanted to meet Angela.
(c) He is wanted for crimes committed while fighting for the IRA.
(d) He wanted to escape the weather of Ireland.
7. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) Washing them with salt water.
(b) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(c) Closing them for three days.
(d) St. Anthony's spit.
8. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(b) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(c) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(d) There isn't enough room for another child.
9. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
(a) He has puppies.
(b) He is put to death.
(c) He becomes very ill.
(d) He runs away.
10. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Oliver is very sick.
(b) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(c) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(d) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
11. Why does Mickey die?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He is in a bad fight.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has pneumonia.
12. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Job opportunities up north.
(b) Frank's grandfather.
(c) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(d) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
13. Why is Frank hospitalized?
(a) He has appendicitis.
(b) He has typhoid.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has consumption.
14. What does Peter Dooley want to do when he grows up?
(a) Join the army in America.
(b) Read the news on the BBC.
(c) Become a movie star in Bollywood.
(d) Play soccer against Britain.
15. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) A new bag of coal.
(b) Brother Michael.
(c) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
(d) New clothes for the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. O'Neill called "Dotty?"
2. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
4. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
5. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)