|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Frank hospitalized for a second time in Chapter 9?
(a) He has conjunctivitis.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He broke his leg.
2. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
(a) A science fiction thriller.
(b) An old American western.
(c) A James Cagney movie.
(d) A Disney cartoon.
3. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He has growing pains.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He drank too much.
(d) He ate bad bread.
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
(a) Malachy finds a temporary job.
(b) Malachy sells his possessions.
(c) The police take up a collection to pay their bus fare.
(d) The family begs on the street.
5. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Frank's grandfather.
(b) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(c) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(d) Job opportunities up north.
6. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The IRA is completely out of money.
(b) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(c) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(d) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
7. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
(a) Mr. Timoney did not pay her well enough.
(b) She went to work for Mrs. Finucane.
(c) He had tried to convert her to Buddhism.
(d) She was in love with another man.
8. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "The Tempest."
(b) "Gulliver's Travels."
(c) "A Modest Proposal."
(d) The Holy Bible.
9. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Frank's illness.
(b) Their trip to Limerick.
(c) Frank's bad behavior.
(d) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
10. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(b) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(c) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(d) Angela does not know where the store is.
11. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) A bag of potatoes.
(c) A bag of coal.
(d) New clothes.
12. Where does Frank's transfused blood come from?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Sarsfield Barracks soldiers.
(c) The officers from the IRA office.
(d) Pat Sheehan.
13. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Malachy lost his job again.
(b) Frank lost his prayerbook.
(c) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(d) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
14. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
(a) He is tired of Ireland.
(b) Angela wants to move there.
(c) His father is living in England.
(d) America has joined the war.
15. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
(a) For a summer vacation.
(b) To see Frank.
(c) To retire.
(d) To attend his mother's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
2. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
3. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
4. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
5. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)