|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Patricia Madigan?
(a) She has rheumatic fever.
(b) She has diphtheria.
(c) She has pneumonia.
(d) She has consumption.
2. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy drinks too much.
(b) Malachy misses his family.
(c) Malachy has been arrested.
(d) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
3. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The old house was flooded.
(b) The new house is less expensive.
(c) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
(d) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
4. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(b) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(c) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(d) They are wearing girls' boots.
5. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(b) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(c) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
(d) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
6. What is Mr. O'Neill particularly enthusiastic about teaching?
(c) American History.
7. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(b) He is caught cheating.
(c) He steals some food from the other children.
(d) He is caught skipping school.
8. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Job opportunities up north.
(b) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(c) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(d) Frank's grandfather.
9. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(b) The war is profitable for Irish families.
(c) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
(d) There is better food in Germany.
10. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has broken his arm.
(b) He must have his tonsils removed.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has gained weight.
11. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
(a) Young Malachy has drank some of his father's liquor.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) Young Malachy has caught pneumonia.
(d) The older Malachy's dentures have gotten stuck in young Malachy's mouth.
12. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) A new bag of coal.
(b) Brother Michael.
(c) New clothes for the children.
(d) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
13. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
(a) They want Angela's mother to take care of Frank.
(b) They want Angela's mother to send money so that Angela and her family can move back to Ireland.
(c) They want Angela's mother to come to America to visit.
(d) They want Angela's mother to convince Angela to leave Malachy.
14. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
(a) South Africa.
15. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He has left Paddy's mother.
(b) He works too many hours.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has consumption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
2. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
3. What does Frank most want to see at the cinema?
4. Because they do not have bus fare home, where does the family sleep that night?
5. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)