|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) His confirmation.
(b) To read a sermon.
(c) To become an altar boy.
(d) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
2. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
(b) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(c) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(d) A place where there is no rain.
3. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Their trip to Limerick.
(b) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(c) Frank's illness.
(d) Frank's bad behavior.
4. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To apply for a job herself.
(b) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(c) To show her children where their father is working.
(d) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
5. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
(a) He has learned that his parents know he skipped school.
(b) There will be no food at home.
(c) His mother has consumption.
(d) His father found out he went to the cinema.
6. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) They are wearing girls' boots.
(b) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(c) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(d) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
7. In Chapter 6, where do Paddy and Frank go when they skip school?
(a) They visit their friend Mikey.
(b) They help Angela with her housework.
(c) They go to an orchard to drink water and eat apples.
(d) They go work at the Post Office.
8. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
(a) They learned he skipped school.
(b) Frank stole money to go to the cinema.
(c) He was spending time with Paddy.
(d) Frank stole apples from the orchard.
9. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To travel to China and adopt children.
(b) To start his own business in America.
(c) To become a doctor.
(d) To run away to India.
10. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) Brother Michael.
(b) A new bag of coal.
(c) New clothes for the children.
(d) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
11. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) Washing them with salt water.
(b) Closing them for three days.
(c) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(d) St. Anthony's spit.
12. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
(a) To attend his mother's funeral.
(b) To retire.
(c) To see Frank.
(d) For a summer vacation.
13. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) The war is profitable for Irish families.
(b) There is better food in Germany.
(c) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(d) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
14. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
(a) That it is "respectful."
(b) Frank doesn't care about the new baby's name.
(c) That it sounds like a girl's name.
(d) That it is an "affliction."
15. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He rushes him to the doctor.
(b) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(c) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(d) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
2. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
3. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
4. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
5. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)