|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Going to the dispensary.
(b) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(c) Selling her belongings.
(d) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
2. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
(b) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
(c) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
(d) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
3. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
(b) Dr. O'Connor.
(d) Nurse Rita.
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
(a) Malachy sells his possessions.
(b) Malachy finds a temporary job.
(c) The police take up a collection to pay their bus fare.
(d) The family begs on the street.
5. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
(a) Frank cleans Mr. Sheehan's lavatory.
(b) Frank peels Mr. Sheehan's potatoes.
(c) Frank delivers coal with Mr. Sheehan.
(d) Frank sells newspapers.
6. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "A Modest Proposal."
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) "The Tempest."
(d) "Gulliver's Travels."
7. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
(b) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
(c) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
(d) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
8. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
(a) He has to ask whether to use holy water or regular water.
(b) He forgot to confess that he stole some bread.
(c) His grandmother wants to send her love.
(d) He has to thank the priest for taking his confession.
9. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(d) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
10. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
(b) Frank's illness.
(c) Frank's bad behavior.
(d) Their trip to Limerick.
11. Why is Declan upset with Frank in Chapter 7?
(a) Frank has been eating all of Declan's food.
(b) Frank has not been attending Confraternity meetings.
(c) Frank showed up to his Confraternity meetings dirty.
(d) Frank has been stealing newspapers.
12. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) They are wearing girls' boots.
(b) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
(c) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(d) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
13. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Gaelic lessons.
(c) Irish dancing lessons.
(d) Reading lessons.
14. Why does Frank envy the children whose fathers are in England?
(a) They do not see their fathers.
(b) The families usually move to England.
(c) The children get to go visit their fathers.
(d) The fathers send home money for food and necessities.
15. What does Grandma think will help Frank's eyes?
(a) St. Anthony's spit.
(b) Eating an onion boiled in milk.
(c) Washing them with salt water.
(d) Closing them for three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
2. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
3. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
5. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)