|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(b) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
(c) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(d) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
2. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(b) To apply for a job herself.
(c) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
(d) To show her children where their father is working.
3. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(b) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(c) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(d) He was listening to dirty stories.
4. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) He believes there is work there.
(b) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(c) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(d) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
5. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
(d) She is depressed because Margaret died.
6. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
(a) That the Lord Jesus did not wear shoes at all.
(b) The boys should be quiet in school, but could tease Frank and Malachy later.
(c) Frank and Malachy's shoes were better than anyone elses.
(d) Only Americans wear boots made out of tires.
7. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Frank steals from Grandma's purse.
(b) Malachy gives Frank some money.
(c) Mikey throws a "fit" and distracts the ticket-taker.
(d) Angela begs the ticket-taker to let him in.
8. How does Mikey get hurt?
(a) Peter beats him up.
(b) The drainpipe he is on collapses, and he breaks his shoulder.
(c) He twists his ankle running away from Peter's mother.
(d) He trips and falls into the river, breaking his arm.
9. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
(a) To give him his lunch.
(b) To sneak him into the cinema.
(c) To do his homework.
(d) To look at his naked sister.
10. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He dismisses class early.
(b) He sleeps in class.
(c) He brings the boys food.
(d) He likes America.
11. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
(a) The children are complaining that they have not learned enough science.
(b) Mr. O'Neill should not be teaching fourth graders geometry.
(c) There are several books missing from Mr. O'Neill's class.
(d) Mr. O'Neill should not be striking the students.
12. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(b) Angela does not know where the store is.
(c) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(d) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
13. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(b) Frank lost his prayerbook.
(c) Malachy lost his job again.
(d) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
14. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The other families are bragging about the money their fathers sent home from England.
(b) It is cold outside.
(c) The boys at school are bullying the younger boys.
(d) There is consumption going around.
15. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
(b) The money the students collect for the church.
(c) Food collected for the charity.
(d) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were both of Frank's parents born?
2. What is the Confraternity?
3. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
4. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)