|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He is not old enough.
(b) He has not followed the rules in church.
(c) He is too poor.
(d) He has bad manners.
2. How does Frank earn money from Mr. Timoney?
(a) He cleans Mr. Timoney's home.
(b) He reads to Mr. Timoney.
(c) He brings Mr. Timoney books.
(d) He delivers coal to Mr. Timoney.
3. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
(b) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(c) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(d) He believes there is work there.
4. Why does Angela think Mr. Timoney lost his cleaning woman?
(a) She was in love with another man.
(b) He had tried to convert her to Buddhism.
(c) She went to work for Mrs. Finucane.
(d) Mr. Timoney did not pay her well enough.
5. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
(a) "Gulliver's Travels."
(b) "A Modest Proposal."
(c) "The Tempest."
(d) The Holy Bible.
6. What is the Confraternity?
(a) A soccer club.
(b) A dancing class.
(c) An employment agency.
(d) A religious organization.
7. For what religious event is Frank preparing for in Chapter 9?
(a) To become an altar boy.
(b) To read a sermon.
(c) His confirmation.
(d) To volunteer in the church's soup kitchen.
8. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(b) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(c) There is less money for the charity to give.
(d) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
9. What is Paddy's dream?
(a) To start his own business in America.
(b) To run away to India.
(c) To become a doctor.
(d) To travel to China and adopt children.
10. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(d) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
11. Why does Mickey die?
(a) He is in a bad fight.
(b) He has typhoid.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He has consumption.
12. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
(b) She does not want to be alone.
(c) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
(d) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
13. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
(a) He is always fighting with the other boys.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) His clothes are always dirty.
(d) He is always asking questions.
14. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
(a) Violin lessons.
(b) Irish dancing lessons.
(c) Reading lessons.
(d) Gaelic lessons.
15. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) The money the students collect for the church.
(b) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
(c) Food collected for the charity.
(d) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela bring Frank in the hospital?
2. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
3. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Why doesn't the telegram boy bring a telegram to the family?
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)