|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) He teases the other boys with it.
(d) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
2. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Job opportunities up north.
(b) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(c) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(d) Frank's grandfather.
3. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
(a) Frank has thrown up his first communion.
(b) Frank has left his prayer book outside.
(c) The priest has come to visit the family.
(d) The Pope's picture has been left outside in the rain.
4. When Angela says that God has not been "seen lately in the lanes of Limerick," to what is she referring?
(a) Frank's illness.
(b) Their trip to Limerick.
(c) Frank's bad behavior.
(d) Malachy's chronic unemployment.
5. Why is Frank hospitalized?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has appendicitis.
(c) He has typhoid.
(d) He has consumption.
6. Why does Frank miss his collection?
(a) His father is out drinking and cannot take him.
(b) His grandmother makes him return to church for a confession.
(c) His grandmother makes him stay home and help her with chores.
(d) He is not feeling well.
7. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He ate bad bread.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has growing pains.
(d) He drank too much.
8. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
(a) Frank sells newspapers.
(b) Frank peels Mr. Sheehan's potatoes.
(c) Frank delivers coal with Mr. Sheehan.
(d) Frank cleans Mr. Sheehan's lavatory.
9. What is unusual about Mr. O'Halloran?
(a) He likes America.
(b) He sleeps in class.
(c) He brings the boys food.
(d) He dismisses class early.
10. What job does Frank take on for Margaret?
(a) Taking food to Galvin.
(b) Delivering newspapers.
(c) Fetching coal.
(d) Cooking dinner.
11. What does Seamus bring Frank in the hospital?
12. While at the hospital, what do the doctor's discover about Frank?
(a) He has broken his arm.
(b) He must have his tonsils removed.
(c) He has gained weight.
(d) He has pneumonia.
13. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
(a) Mickey is a Protestant.
(b) Mickey is a liar.
(c) Mickey looked at dirty pictures.
(d) Mickey is a thief.
14. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
(a) He is kidnapped.
(b) He slips in the mud and hurts his ankle.
(c) He falls off of the see-saw and injures himself.
(d) He fights with Frank.
15. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
(a) She once dated a senator.
(b) She was an excellent dancer.
(c) She was a great student.
(d) She was always poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
2. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
3. What does Frank read to Mr. Timoney?
4. How do the McCourts get back to Angela's family?
5. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)