|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
(a) Kind and nurturing to the boys and excited to talk about his faith.
(b) Devoted to his Catholicism, but hates answering questions about it.
(c) Quiet and timid, answering questions slowly and only when asked multiple times.
(d) Selfish and greedy, refusing to teach the boys about Catholicism.
2. Mikey tells Frank that the best part of the first communion is the collection. What is the collection?
(a) Food collected for the charity.
(b) The money the students collect for the church.
(c) When neighbors give sweets and money to the children receiving their First Communion.
(d) The money collected from the church members to feed the families.
3. For what does Peter Dooley charge Frank?
(a) To do his homework.
(b) To look at his naked sister.
(c) To sneak him into the cinema.
(d) To give him his lunch.
4. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
(a) In Limerick.
(b) In church.
(c) On the boat coming to America.
(d) At a party in America.
5. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) He throws it away.
(b) He teases the other boys with it.
(c) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
(d) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
6. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
(a) Young Malachy has drank some of his father's liquor.
(b) He has consumption.
(c) Young Malachy has caught pneumonia.
(d) The older Malachy's dentures have gotten stuck in young Malachy's mouth.
7. What do Paddy and Frank eat when they go to Finlan's for lunch?
(a) Potato soup.
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) They are not fed.
(d) Scraps from last night's dinner.
8. What is wrong with Paddy's father in Chapter 6?
(a) He has consumption.
(b) He has left Paddy's mother.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He works too many hours.
9. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
(b) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
(c) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(d) The IRA is completely out of money.
10. What is the Confraternity?
(a) An employment agency.
(b) A soccer club.
(c) A religious organization.
(d) A dancing class.
11. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He i working late and she is worried.
(b) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
(c) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(d) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
12. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The old house was flooded.
(b) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(c) The new house is less expensive.
(d) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
13. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(b) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
(c) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(d) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
14. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
(b) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(c) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
(d) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
15. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
(a) He has bad manners.
(b) He is too poor.
(c) He is not old enough.
(d) He has not followed the rules in church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
2. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
3. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
4. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
5. Who is Frank excited to see when he is hospitalized the second time?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)