|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They steal it by causing a distraction.
(b) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
(c) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(d) They steal money to buy it.
2. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
(a) Frank doesn't care about the new baby's name.
(b) That it sounds like a girl's name.
(c) That it is "respectful."
(d) That it is an "affliction."
3. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(b) He was listening to dirty stories.
(c) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(d) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
4. Why does Angela want Frank to quit his job in Chapter 11?
(a) She does not approve of Mr. Hannon.
(b) The work is too difficult for him.
(c) The coal dust is irritating his eyes.
(d) He is missing school because of work.
5. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
(a) Frank sells newspapers.
(b) Frank delivers coal with Mr. Sheehan.
(c) Frank cleans Mr. Sheehan's lavatory.
(d) Frank peels Mr. Sheehan's potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
2. What happens to Frank's brother Malachy on the playground?
3. Why is Frank afraid to go home in Chapter 6?
4. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
5. What does Paddy's father tell Frank about his mother in Chapter 6?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)