|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(b) Malachy has been arrested.
(c) Malachy drinks too much.
(d) Malachy misses his family.
2. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
3. What is Angela's last resort for feeding the children in Chapter 9?
(a) Going to work at Kathleen's shop.
(b) Asking Agnes to borrow money.
(c) Selling her belongings.
(d) Going to the dispensary.
4. What does Malachy believe is wrong with Frank in Chapter 8?
(a) He has growing pains.
(b) He drank too much.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He ate bad bread.
5. What does Grandpa McCourt send for the new baby?
(a) A bag of coal.
(b) New clothes.
(c) A bag of potatoes.
(d) Five pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
2. Why are Angela and Malachy angry with Frank in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Mickey die?
4. Why is the Meagher family too ashamed to go out?
5. Why does Mr. Downes return to Ireland?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)