|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(b) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(c) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(d) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
2. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Malachy lost his job again.
(b) Frank lost his prayerbook.
(c) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(d) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
3. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) Angela does not know where the store is.
(b) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(c) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(d) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
4. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
(a) Frank's grandfather.
(b) Angela's uncles in northern Ireland.
(c) Angela's happiness with Malachy.
(d) Job opportunities up north.
5. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(b) To show her children where their father is working.
(c) To apply for a job herself.
(d) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
2. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
3. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
4. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
5. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)