|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
2. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(b) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(c) They cannot afford any groceries.
(d) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
3. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(b) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(c) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(d) There isn't enough room for another child.
4. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A place where there is no rain.
(b) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
(c) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(d) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(b) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(c) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(d) Oliver is very sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
2. After confessing to the priest on his first communion, why does Margaret send Frank back into the confessional?
3. What kind of teacher is Mr. Benson?
4. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
5. Why does Margaret get angry with Frank and make him take Galvin's food to the kiln for free?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)