|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the man at the IRA office refuse to give Malachy money for the bus fare home?
(a) The man believes that Malachy has enough money.
(b) Malachy also requested money for a pint of beer.
(c) The IRA is completely out of money.
(d) The man is angry that Malachy wasted his time.
2. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
(a) She does not want to be alone.
(b) She wants to get Malachy's dole before he can spend it all on alcohol.
(c) Malachy has forgotten to collect his dole in the past.
(d) She wants to see how much money he is getting.
3. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
4. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A place where there is no rain.
(b) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(c) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(d) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
5. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
(b) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(c) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(d) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
2. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
3. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
4. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
5. What kind of lessons does Angela decide Frank must take?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)