|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) He has come to the wrong office.
(b) The IRA is all out of money.
(c) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
(d) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
2. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Oliver is very sick.
(b) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(c) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
(d) Frank has become tired of the stories.
3. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
(a) Malachy was drunk and the clerk writing the birth certificate did not understand what he was saying.
(b) The child is given an American name.
(c) The child is named for Angela's father.
(d) Malachy is disgusted by his own name.
4. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) There isn't enough room for another child.
(b) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(c) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(d) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
5. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
2. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
3. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
5. Where does Malachy meet Angela?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)