|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) There isn't enough room for another child.
(b) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
(c) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(d) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
2. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(d) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
3. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
(a) He has come to the wrong office.
(b) The IRA is all out of money.
(c) There is a waiting period for his pension check.
(d) There is no record of his service in the IRA.
4. What does Frank's father tell the officials from the St. Vincent de Paul Society about their lavatory?
(a) Angela is the only who cleans the lavatory.
(b) The lavatory is too far away for the boys to use.
(c) They are very lucky to have a lavatory.
(d) It is killing them because it is infested with disease.
5. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(b) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(c) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
(d) He believes there is work there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
2. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
3. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
4. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)