|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(b) The new house is less expensive.
(c) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
(d) The old house was flooded.
2. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He i working late and she is worried.
(b) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
(c) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(d) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
3. Why is Angela and Malachy's first born son not named after his father?
(a) Malachy is disgusted by his own name.
(b) The child is given an American name.
(c) The child is named for Angela's father.
(d) Malachy was drunk and the clerk writing the birth certificate did not understand what he was saying.
4. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(b) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(c) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(d) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
5. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
(b) To show her children where their father is working.
(c) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
(d) To apply for a job herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
2. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
3. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
4. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
5. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)