|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
2. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
(a) He gives the boy a drink of beer to clear his sinuses.
(b) He sucks the mucus out of his nose so that he can breathe.
(c) He and Angela take the boy to church to be blessed.
(d) He rushes him to the doctor.
3. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
(a) Eggs, butter, and sugar to make sweets.
(b) A new bag of coal.
(c) Brother Michael.
(d) New clothes for the children.
4. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He steals some food from the other children.
(b) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
(c) He is caught skipping school.
(d) He is caught cheating.
5. How does Frank envision heaven at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) An empty place, like the inside of a coffin.
(b) A place with plenty of food and music and dancing.
(c) A place without drunk fathers, with plenty of food, and with his other dead siblings.
(d) A place where there is no rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
2. Why does Angela insist on going to the Labour Exchange with Malachy after Oliver's death?
3. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
4. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)