|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(b) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(c) Angela does not know where the store is.
(d) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
2. In Chapter 2, why does Frank get in trouble with Mr. Benson at school?
(a) He is caught skipping school.
(b) He is caught cheating.
(c) He steals some food from the other children.
(d) He is fighting because the boys were teasing him.
3. After Eugene's death in Chapter 2, why does Frank get angry with his father in the pub?
(a) Malachy is drinking instead of attending the funeral.
(b) Malachy has put his glass on Eugene's coffin.
(c) Malachy does not seem to be upset about Eugene's death.
(d) Malachy has spent the money intended for the funeral on alcohol.
4. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(b) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
(c) He believes there is work there.
(d) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
5. Why is Frank so understanding when his father is telling Oliver stories about Cuchulain?
(a) Oliver is very sick.
(b) Frank has become tired of the stories.
(c) Oliver is really excited about hearing them.
(d) Frank realizes the stories are no longer his.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
2. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
3. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
4. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
5. When Malachy gets a job, what happens the third week he is supposed to bring home the wages?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)