|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(b) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(c) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
2. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
(a) The old house was flooded.
(b) The new house is less expensive.
(c) The new house is closer to Angela's family.
(d) The old house reminded Angela too much of Eugene.
3. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He forgets to pick the children up from school.
(b) He i working late and she is worried.
(c) He has been arrested for drunken behavior.
(d) Malachy is out late drinking instead of coming home with his wages.
4. What does Tommy Flynn say happened to Margaret's body?
(a) Malachy sold her body for drink money.
(b) The body disappeared from the morgue.
(c) The body was cremated.
(d) Margaret was given a proper Catholic burial.
5. Once the family rents a room, why are they unable to sleep that first night?
(a) There is too much noise from outside.
(b) Malachy is out drunk and the family is worried.
(c) The heat does not work.
(d) The mattress has fleas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank's father, Malachy, originally comes to America for what reason?
2. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
3. When Michael is sick, how does Frank's father save him?
4. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
5. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)