|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(b) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(c) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
(d) They cannot afford any groceries.
2. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) He was late to work.
(b) Because Angela came to his work.
(c) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
(d) Because he has been drinking on the job.
3. Philomena urges Angela to make sure she doesn't have anymore children. Why?
(a) Angela is sick and her health would suffer.
(b) There isn't enough room for another child.
(c) Malachy has been unfaithful to Angela.
(d) Malachy drinks too much and does not have a job.
4. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(b) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
5. Why do Philomena, Delia, Mrs. Leibowitz, and Minnie write to Angela's mother?
(a) They want Angela's mother to convince Angela to leave Malachy.
(b) They want Angela's mother to send money so that Angela and her family can move back to Ireland.
(c) They want Angela's mother to come to America to visit.
(d) They want Angela's mother to take care of Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family move to Roden Lane?
2. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
3. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What does the "Angel on the Seventh Step" bring the family?
5. Why is Angela angry at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)