Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(b) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(c) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(d) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
2. Why does Malachy believe he lost his job?
(a) Because he has been drinking on the job.
(b) Because Angela came to his work.
(c) He was not able to perform the duties of the job.
(d) He was late to work.
3. Why does Angela go to Malachy's job?
(a) To apply for a job herself.
(b) To ask his boss to give her Malachy's wages.
(c) To show her children where their father is working.
(d) To visit her husband and bring him lunch.
4. What does Frank confess at his first confession?
(a) He was thinking dirty thoughts about girls.
(b) He was disrespectful to his mother.
(c) He was drinking in the alley after school.
(d) He was listening to dirty stories.
5. Why does Angela slide into a deep depression?
(a) She is depressed because Margaret died.
(b) She is depressed because Malachy is an alcoholic.
(c) She is miserable because she misses Ireland.
(d) She is sad because Malachy cannot hold down a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela believe that Frank was not accepted as an altar boy?
2. Why does young Malachy have to visit Barrington's Hospital?
3. What does Frank's teacher tell the boys who teased Frank about his shoes?
4. What does Grandma mean when she says that she has "God in me backyard?"
5. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)