|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Frank and young Malachy get coal in Chapter 10?
(a) They steal it by causing a distraction.
(b) They steal money to buy it.
(c) They borrow it from the pub owners.
(d) They pick up lose pieces on the street.
2. When told there is no work in Ireland, Malachy decides to go to Dublin. Why?
(a) There are better school opportunities for the children in Dublin.
(b) He has been told the IRA owes him money.
(c) He believes there is work there.
(d) Malachy's family lives in Dublin.
3. What does Frank do with the raisin he finds in his pastry?
(a) Frank hides it so he can give it to his mother.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) He gives it to Paddy Clohessy.
(d) He teases the other boys with it.
4. What does the quote "We don't care about England or France, all we want is the German advance" mean?
(a) Germany is more powerful than England or France.
(b) There is better food in Germany.
(c) The war is good because the children can be soldiers.
(d) The war is profitable for Irish families.
5. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(b) Angela does not know where the store is.
(c) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
(d) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
2. When Malachy goes to the IRA office to claim his pension, what is he told?
3. Why does Quigley seem to annoy his teachers?
4. Why does Angela tell her children to stay inside at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Why is Frank disappointed that his mother is not speaking to his grandmother in Chapter 5?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)