|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. O'Halloran yell at Mr. O'Neill?
(a) There are several books missing from Mr. O'Neill's class.
(b) Mr. O'Neill should not be teaching fourth graders geometry.
(c) Mr. O'Neill should not be striking the students.
(d) The children are complaining that they have not learned enough science.
2. How does Mr. Benson have the boys practice for communion?
(a) Mr. Benson gives the boys tea and cookies.
(b) Mr. Benson has the boys swallow bits of newspaper.
(c) The boys eat pieces of stale bread.
(d) The boys practice drinking alcohol.
3. After receiving money from the Vincent de Paul society, why does Nora insist on going to the store with Angela?
(a) She wants Angela to buy her some groceries.
(b) She is worried the store owner will cheat Angela.
(c) Angela does not know where the store is.
(d) Angela will need help carrying the groceries.
4. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(b) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(c) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
(d) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
5. Why does it seem that Nora Molloy enjoys being taken to the asylum?
(a) Her kids drive her crazy, and she enjoys the break.
(b) She is the only one they have to drag out, because she enjoys the quiet and escape from the "real" world.
(c) She is in love with one of the doctors.
(d) She enjoys the company in the asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paddy's dream?
2. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
3. How is Frank able to attend the cinema at the end of Chapter 4?
4. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
5. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)