|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Downes believe Malachy may be sent back to Ireland in Chapter 9?
(a) Malachy can get better work in Ireland.
(b) Malachy has been arrested.
(c) Malachy drinks too much.
(d) Malachy misses his family.
2. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
(a) The downstairs reminds them of home, while upstairs is unfamiliar.
(b) The upstairs is cold and dirty, and the downstairs is where they spend their time.
(c) The downstairs has flooded and the upstairs is warm, like a vacation to Italy.
(d) The children made up the names because both places begin with the same letter.
3. Why is Frank's grandmother not speaking to Angela at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Angela did not bring enough food for dinner.
(b) Frank was sick in grandmother's yard.
(c) Malachy lost his job again.
(d) Frank lost his prayerbook.
4. Why is Frank shown more respect by his classmates in Chapter 11?
(a) He is smarter than the other children at school.
(b) He beat up Mikey Molloy.
(c) He is employed.
(d) He is getting older.
5. Why is Frank concerned for Mickey's soul?
(a) Mickey is a Protestant.
(b) Mickey looked at dirty pictures.
(c) Mickey is a liar.
(d) Mickey is a thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Macushla in Chapter 7?
2. What is the poem Angela shares with Bridey, "The Man From the North," about?
3. What job does Frank do with Pat Sheehan?
4. Why does Mr. Hannon encourage Frank to stay in school?
5. What does Frank think of the new baby's name?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)