|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the children at school tease Frank and his brother about their boots?
(a) Frank's father has mended them using an old tire.
(b) They are wearing girls' boots.
(c) The boots have holes in them and are falling apart.
(d) The boots are falling off of them because they are too big.
2. How does the family get coal for Christmas dinner?
(a) Pa Keating takes the boys to a pub where the owner gives them a bag.
(b) Malachy steals coal from the neighbors.
(c) Frank takes a temporary job shoveling coal.
(d) The boys stop and pick up pieces of coal on the side of the road.
3. Why do Frank's classmates laugh at him as they leave the store before Christmas?
(a) They cannot afford any groceries.
(b) Frank falls in the mud and is dirty.
(c) Malachy is drunk and stumbling home.
(d) The only meat they can afford is a pig's head.
4. Why is the family receiving less money at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) There is less money for the charity to give.
(b) With Angela's new job, the charity feels they do not need as much.
(c) With two less children, the charity gives them less.
(d) Malachy had been drinking away all of the money.
5. Why does Mikey call Frank a bastard in Chapter 11?
(a) Frank had relations with a girl at the pub.
(b) Frank and Mikey had gotten into an argument.
(c) Frank's parents were not married for nine months before he was born.
(d) Frank's parents were not married when he was born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family call the upstairs of their home Italy and the downstairs Ireland?
2. Why is Frank at the pub celebrating with Mikey?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Malachy make his children promise when he gets them out of bed late at night after drinking?
4. Why does Malachy agree to go work in England?
5. When Mr. Hannon goes to the hospital, what do the doctors say he is in danger of?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)