• Frank introduces the reader to his parents, Malachy McCourt and Angela Sheehan.
• Malachy had fought for the Irish Republican Army before coming to America, and Angela had come to America after difficulty finding a job in Ireland.
• Malachy and Angela meet at a party, and are married when Angela becomes pregnant with Frank.
• The couple struggle because Malachy has a drinking problem and spends most of what he earns in the pubs.
• Angela gives birth to Malachy, Oliver, Eugene, and Margaret over the next four years.
• Margaret becomes ill and dies, sending Angela into a great depression.
• Angela becomes very depressed after Margaret dies and the family, with the help of Angela's mother in Ireland, put together enough money to move back to Ireland.
• Angela's aunts write to Angela's mother, requesting she send help so that the family can move back to Ireland.
This section contains 2,060 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)