|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What status did Angela Davis obtain in order to get out of solitary confinement?
2. Why did Angela Davis feel that blacks needed to avoid a conflict with police in Los Angeles?
3. What were the Soledad Brothers accused of?
4. What was the jury's verdict on the third charge against Angela Davis?
5. Whose hands was Angela Davis holding when the verdict was read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that allowed Angela Davis to be set free on bail?
2. Describe the lunch Angela Davis had while the jury was deliberating.
3. What were Angela Davis's feelings about the Black Power group and other black movements in England?
4. What was Angela Davis's philosophy for winning race equality?
5. Describe the genesis of the book Angela Davis wrote from prison.
6. What did the judge read from at the close of Angela Davis's trial?
7. What was Angela Davis's relationship with her co-defendant, Ruchell Magee?
8. How did Angela Davis technically violate the terms of her bail bond?
9. What event made Angela Davis and her legal team consider filing for a relocation?
10. What political activity did Angela Davis get involved in almost as soon as she returned to the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why had Angela Davis studied in Europe, and why did she ultimately return to the U.S.? What factors influenced her decision to keep herself apart from political events in the U.S., and what made it possible for her to come home and participate in them?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of Angela Davis's book? Is it a memoir, or simply topical history that is really only relevant as long as there as interest in her trial? How does the book work as propaganda for the Civil Rights movement? Is it a morality tale? A coming of age tale? What else is it besides a memoir?
Essay Topic 3
What single person, or political figure, or formative experience had the biggest influence on Angela Davis's career and her political work?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)