|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excited Angela Davis during her freshman year at college?
2. What was Angela Davis's personality like in school?
3. What was Angela Davis feeling when she was waiting to leave her location at the beginning of the book?
4. What did Angela Davis say were the two levels of prison existence?
5. Where was Angela Davis when the book began?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decision that led Angela Davis out of Birmingham.
2. What did Angela Davis attribute her current situation to?
3. Describe Angela Davis's arrival at college.
4. What was Angela Davis's first experience of life outside the South, free of racism?
5. What was Angela Davis's reaction to Malcolm X?
6. Where was Angela Davis kept when she was in prison, and when was she moved?
7. Describe Angela Davis's high school.
8. With whom did Angela Davis hide while she was running from the police?
9. Describe Angela Davis's relationship with her fellow prisoners.
10. Describe Angela Davis's experience at the Helsinki festival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where was Angela Davis most free and comfortable in society? Was it in Europe, where she was free from American race tensions? Or America, where she was fighting the fight for her people?
Essay Topic 2
Write a review of the book. What are the book's strengths and weaknesses? What were its goals and methods? Did it achieve them?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways was the Civil Rights movement an American movement, in keeping with the ideals of the founders who fought for freedom? In what ways was their situation unique in American history? What precedents did it have to fight against? What precedents did it establish?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)