|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Angela Davis's family move when Angela Davis was four?
2. What conclusion did Angela Davis draw after her trip to Helsinki?
3. Where was Angela Davis when the book began?
4. Where was Angela Davis going at the beginning of the book?
5. What was the level of involvement in the Civil Rights movement in Angela Davis's high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Angela Davis's reaction to Malcolm X?
2. What was Angela Davis's experience in Paris?
3. Describe Angela Davis's childhood experience of racism.
4. What was Angela Davis's first experience of life outside the South, free of racism?
5. Why was Angela Davis in hiding at the beginning of the book?
6. What conclusions did Angela Davis reach as a result of her time in Helsinki?
7. What was it like for Angela Davis during the Cuban Missile Crisis?
8. What was Angela Davis's experience of the Birmingham church bombings?
9. Describe Angela Davis's travels in Germany.
10. What did Angela Davis attribute her current situation to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Angela Davis's family with the people with whom she fought in the Civil Rights movement. How are the families different? How are they similar? How did Angela Davis treat the two "families" differently?
Essay Topic 2
Angela Davis and her supporters helped each other not only when they were brought up on false charges, but they also broke the law in order to shelter each other and hide each other from the police. Is this an ethical stance to take--to defy the law--or were there other avenues that might have been effective? Were Davis and her supporters obligated to break the law or follow it?
Essay Topic 3
Where was Angela Davis most effective as a political leader and activist? Where were her actions or decisions least effective?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)