|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ruchell Magee do when his petition for removal was denied?
(a) Prepared a case for federal court.
(b) Separated his case from Angela Davis'.
(c) Worked with Angela Davis.
(d) Pursued it.
2. What options did Angela Davis's legal team have after the second day of the trial?
(a) Enter a plea bargain or hope for less than one conviction.
(b) Petition for relocation or enter a plea bargain.
(c) Apply for a mistrial or choose another jury.
(d) Ask the judge to recuse himself or file for a mistrial.
3. Who came to see Angela Davis shortly after she was booked into jail?
(a) Franklin Alexander.
(b) Carolyn Craven.
(c) Tamu Ushindi.
(d) Charlene Mitchell.
4. What concession did Angela Davis's lawyers win at the arraignment hearing?
(a) An adjournment.
(b) A dismissal.
(c) A relocation.
(d) A continuance.
5. Whose lectures did Angela Davis stop in London for when she was traveling back to the U.S.?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Stokely Carmichael.
(c) Martin Luther King.
(d) Jean-Paul Sartre.
6. What happened when security measures were eased on the second day of Angela Davis's trial?
(a) Trial participants entered the courtroom and the trial was adjourned for the day.
(b) One of the jurors was attacked.
(c) Someone burst into the courthouse with a gun.
(d) Someone escaped from custody.
7. Why did Angela Davis's legal team request a change of venue?
(a) Because the judge had promised a conviction.
(b) Because the judge had made racist comments.
(c) Because the judge was a friend of the murdered judge's.
(d) Because the judge had condemned Angela Davis' actions.
8. Where did Angela Davis go after being released on bail?
(a) Franklin Alexander's home.
(b) Her parents' home.
(c) Bettina and Jack's home.
(d) Ruchell Magee's home.
9. What was Franklin Alexander's view of racism?
(a) That racism makes a profit for whites.
(b) That racism is against whites' interest a well.
(c) That racism would persist as long as the history of slavery had not been atoned for.
(d) That racism is fundamentally cultural, not economic.
10. What was the jury's verdict on the first charge against Angela Davis?
(a) The count was thrown out.
(c) Guilty with prejudice.
(d) Not guilty.
11. What was the jury's verdict on the third charge against Angela Davis?
(b) The count was thrown out.
(c) Guilty with prejudice.
(d) Not guilty.
12. Why did Angela Davis feel that blacks needed to avoid a conflict with police in Los Angeles?
(a) Because LA police were among the best equipped with riot gear.
(b) Because LA police had a reputation for criminal brutality.
(c) Because LA county had permissive laws regarding police brutality.
(d) Because the LA judges were traditionally biased against political protesters.
13. Why did Angela Davis believe that Blacks did not trust Marxism?
(a) They saw it as part of white culture.
(b) They distrusted the equalizing promises of proletarian ownership.
(c) They did not want to abolish owners, they wanted the right to be owners themselves.
(d) They needed historical redress, not just economic inclusion.
14. What news did Bettina Aptheker bring Angela Davis?
(a) That the Defense Committee wanted to use her trial as a accusation of the system.
(b) That the Communist Party wanted to use her trial to stir up hostility against the system.
(c) That the Defense Committee wanted her to work on a book.
(d) That the Students Non-violent Coordinating Committee wanted to make a documentary of her legal defense.
15. What did Angela Davis learn while she was waiting to be transferred to the courthouse?
(a) The California Supreme Court had abolished the death penalty.
(b) The California Supreme Court had upheld the death penalty.
(c) The California Supreme Court had agreed to hear her case.
(d) The California Supreme Court had refused her appeal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was included in the lunch that Angela Davis had when the jury retired?
2. What did Richard Arnason do for Angela Davis?
3. Why was Angela Davis arrested after a demonstration against the Vietnam War?
4. What did Angela Davis do that technically violated her bail bond?
5. What was the first charge against Angela Davis?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)