|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concession did Angela Davis's lawyers win at the arraignment hearing?
(a) A continuance.
(b) A relocation.
(c) A dismissal.
(d) An adjournment.
2. What did Angela Davis say about Jonathan Jackson in her opening statement?
(a) The difficult life he had had as a child.
(b) The difficulties he had because of his brother's imprisonment.
(c) The legal costs he had borne because of his brother's imprisonment.
(d) The harmful effect George Jackson's imprisonment had on him.
3. Where was Angela Davis booked into jail in California?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Marin County.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. Whom did the press compare Angela Davis to in coverage of the trial?
(a) Franklin Alexander.
(b) Bettina Aptheker.
(c) Ruchell Magee.
(d) Sheldon Otis.
5. Where did Ruchell Magee want to be tried?
(a) In Sacramento.
(b) In federal court.
(c) In Marin County Court.
(d) In Los Angeles.
6. What did the judge order at Angela Davis's arraignment hearing?
(a) Excessively high bail.
(b) A gag order.
(c) A dismissal.
(d) That Angela Davis be held without bail.
7. Why did Angela Davis's legal team request a change of venue?
(a) Because the judge had promised a conviction.
(b) Because the judge had condemned Angela Davis' actions.
(c) Because the judge had made racist comments.
(d) Because the judge was a friend of the murdered judge's.
8. What news did Bettina Aptheker bring Angela Davis?
(a) That the Communist Party wanted to use her trial to stir up hostility against the system.
(b) That the Defense Committee wanted to use her trial as a accusation of the system.
(c) That the Students Non-violent Coordinating Committee wanted to make a documentary of her legal defense.
(d) That the Defense Committee wanted her to work on a book.
9. What part of her trial was Angela Davis involved in?
(a) Jury selection.
(b) Pre-trial discovery.
(c) Raising bond.
(d) Filing motions.
10. What caused Angela Davis to be moved to a new cell?
(a) The murder of other political prisoners.
(b) Nation-wide protests.
(c) Death threats from other inmates.
(d) A petition to the court.
11. What criticism did the Students Non-violent Coordinating Committee national representative make of Angela Davis's leadership of the LA chapter?
(a) He said they should provide job skills, not Marxist indoctrination.
(b) He said they should be teaching people the history of black people's conflict with whites.
(c) He said they should work on educating people with basic subjects, not advanced theory.
(d) He said they should be providing food and necessaries to poor people.
12. What was the relationship between the Students Non-violent Coordinating Committee and the Communist Party?
(a) The SNCC did not want to be associated with Communists.
(b) They competed for members, but forced their members to choose between parties.
(c) They worked together on political project, but the Communists worked alone in economic cases.
(d) The two parties worked together.
13. What was the third charge against Angela Davis?
(b) Harboring criminals.
14. What status did Angela Davis obtain in order to get out of solitary confinement?
(a) Member of her own legal team.
(b) Legal assistant.
(c) Legal investigator.
(d) Mental patient.
15. What kind of response to racism did Angela Davis believe would go nowhere?
(a) Peaceful responses.
(b) Diplomatic responses.
(c) Calculated, articulate responses.
(d) Emotional or angry responses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Stokely Carmichael say to disappoint Angela Davis at the Los Angeles rally?
2. What did Angela Davis do that technically violated her bail bond?
3. What happens when Angela Davis and two other women take over the Students Non-violent Coordinating Committee LA chapter?
4. Who was Gus Hall?
5. How did the LA police try to incite conflict after Martin Luther King's assassination?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)