|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What's the first test Burton does on the two dead lab animals?
2. What is the The Messenger Theory?
3. What is Leavitt's rule of "48"?
4. How often do the doctors get together to discuss results?
5. What happens to the men's attitude now that they know directive 7-12 was not invoked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
2. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
3. What does Hall realize about Andromeda when thinking about Jackson's acidosis?
4. What do the x-ray crystallography results show about Andromeda?
5. Leavitt has a dream about a house. When he wakens he believes it has an answer to Andromeda. Describe the dream and his thoughts and reactions to the dream.
6. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
7. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
8. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
9. What did Manchek find about the wreck of the plane?
10. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The folly of trusting automated processing above human supervision is first shown by the printer jam early in the book, and yet many of our systems, from communications to financial are automated or at least depend heavily upon computers and other machines. Do you think it's reasonable for humans to rely so heavily upon "machines?" Describe the advantages and disadvantages of such a dependence.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Stone. Do you like him? How does his personality coincide with the job he has to do? Is he someone you would trust with your life? Do you think he makes a good addition to the Wildfire team? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Leavitt discusses a machine invented to provide computerized physical exams. The machine is designed to replace doctors. How would you feel if such a machine existed? Describe a scene where you are being examined by a machine. How do you feel? How do you relate to the machine? Do you miss a flesh and blood physician? Would you trust a machine as your doctor? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)