|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hall think made Jackson survive Andromeda?
2. What does Hall and Stone figure out when they hear the announcement about the gaskets?
3. How did the men feel about finding a solution to Andromeda?
4. What does Stone do to help Burton in the autopsy room when he's been exposed to Andromeda?
5. How often do the doctors get together to discuss results?
Short Essay Questions
1. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
2. How did Andromeda infect the town of Piedmont?
3. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
4. After knowing about the baby's blood pH and Jackson's blood pH, what does Hall figure out?
5. What do the x-ray crystallography results show about Andromeda?
6. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
7. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
8. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
9. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
10. When Hall realizes why Jackson is alive, what does he figure out about the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science has the potential to empower or to enslave humanity. What do you think this means? How does it relate to life in the 21st century? How does it relate to your life?
Essay Topic 2
The process of "decontaminating" the body is almost inherently self-hating. It is as if Jeremy Stone, who designed the Wildfire decontamination process, believes human bodies are loathsome and dirty. Visualize a world where everyone thought this. How would humans interact? What type of emotions do you think humans would develop? How would reproduction occur? If you stepped into a world in the future where the human body was considered loathsome and dirty, where no one would get close to another person, how would you feel? What would you do?
Essay Topic 3
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)