|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
2. Now that Jackson is awake, what does he tell Hall about the baby?
3. How did the men feel about finding a solution to Andromeda?
4. Why are black Norway rats used in labs?
5. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he knows about Andromeda's weakness what action does Hall take with Dr. Burton in the biopsy lab?
2. What did Manchek find about the wreck of the plane?
3. As Stone and Hall figure out the Ph situation, the warning bells go off. Why?
4. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
5. How did Andromeda infect the town of Piedmont?
6. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
7. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
8. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
9. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
10. Leavitt has a dream about a house. When he wakens he believes it has an answer to Andromeda. Describe the dream and his thoughts and reactions to the dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe this book is saying about scientific advancements? Do you agree with that view point?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the Andromeda Strain was aimed at humans? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe all the objects in your home and their uses that were invented in the past thirty years. Do you think life would be difficult without them? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)