|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While running to the autopsy room, Hall notices that Leavitt appears to be in a trance. Why does he appear that way?
2. What does the answering service supervisor tell Hall when he keeps pushing the red button by his bed?
3. How did the men feel about finding a solution to Andromeda?
4. What does the team decide Hall has to find out?
5. What happens when Robertson informs them of the Phantom crash team's discovery of the depolymerized polymer and the fleshless bone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
2. How did Andromeda infect the town of Piedmont?
3. When he knows about Andromeda's weakness what action does Hall take with Dr. Burton in the biopsy lab?
4. When Hall realizes why Jackson is alive, what does he figure out about the baby?
5. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
6. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
7. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
8. Leavitt has a dream about a house. When he wakens he believes it has an answer to Andromeda. Describe the dream and his thoughts and reactions to the dream.
9. Describe the crash scene of the military jet to which Major Manchek travels . What does it look like? What does he find?
10. What do the x-ray crystallography results show about Andromeda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The process of "decontaminating" the body is almost inherently self-hating. It is as if Jeremy Stone, who designed the Wildfire decontamination process, believes human bodies are loathsome and dirty. Visualize a world where everyone thought this. How would humans interact? What type of emotions do you think humans would develop? How would reproduction occur? If you stepped into a world in the future where the human body was considered loathsome and dirty, where no one would get close to another person, how would you feel? What would you do?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the Andromeda Strain was aimed at humans? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
The reader can hardly miss the irony that the government spent $22 million building a laboratory designed to protect humanity against the very biological weapons the government spent even more money importing from outer space. Do you believe the government has the right to develop any kind of weapon it can conceive? Do you believe there is a limit to what the military of one country can do to another? Who do you think should control that? What do you believe are the limits? What types of weapons do you think the government might be working on that you think should never be manufactured? Why?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)