|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the seal has been broken in the Autopsy room, who is in there?
2. What do they do when they realize a nuclear detonation in Piedmont will provide Andromeda with a limitless supply of energy?
3. Why isn't normal food available at the lab?
4. What have these home remedies done to Jackson?
5. What does Jackson do for his ulcer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
2. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
3. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
4. As Stone and Hall figure out the Ph situation, the warning bells go off. Why?
5. Describe Dr. Hall's first meeting with Peter Jackson. What does Jackson look like? What does Hall do?
6. Write about the men of Wildfire and their motivations for finding the cure for Wildfire.
7. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
8. Write about some of the mistakes the scientists made when dealing with Andromeda.
9. What did Manchek find about the wreck of the plane?
10. In the conference room in Chapter 12, Dr. Stone talks about a man named Rudolph Karp. Who is Karp? Why does Stone discuss him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The folly of trusting automated processing above human supervision is first shown by the printer jam early in the book, and yet many of our systems, from communications to financial are automated or at least depend heavily upon computers and other machines. Do you think it's reasonable for humans to rely so heavily upon "machines?" Describe the advantages and disadvantages of such a dependence.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the meaning of this phrase: "Especially in the United States, consumers decide what technology is worthy of purchase." How does your life illustrate that idea? Do you think the idea would be meaningless in a much more technologically-lower country? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe all the objects in your home and their uses that were invented in the past thirty years. Do you think life would be difficult without them? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)