|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton's tests reveal that clotting begins in the lungs then progresses to the brain. What does that mean to him?
2. What bothers Hall about the substations that will turn off a self-destruct?
3. Where are the laboratories and equipment rooms that they will be using on level 5?
4. What does the spectrometer show about the composition of the Andromeda strain?
5. What is the The Messenger Theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
2. What does Hall realize about Andromeda when thinking about Jackson's acidosis?
3. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
4. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
5. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
6. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
7. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
8. As Stone and Hall figure out the Ph situation, the warning bells go off. Why?
9. What did Manchek find about the wreck of the plane?
10. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
Essay Topic 2
One theme explored in this book relates to the rising fear in the mid-twentieth century that mankind would become slaves to technology. Do you think this is possible? Why? Give examples of what you believe illustrates this fear. Do you believe you've become a slave to technology in your own life? How? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In this book the government had several "top secret" projects of which few of its citizens were knowledgeable. Do you think this is okay for the government to do? Do you believe that the government should keep secrets from the people? Why or why not? Do you think the government should have first access to all technology? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)