|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
2. While dealing with Burton, Hall and Stone hear another emergency announcement by the computer. It is:
3. What does Stone see when he turns on the scope?
4. Where are the laboratories and equipment rooms that they will be using on level 5?
5. What type of waste products did Andromeda produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he knows about Andromeda's weakness what action does Hall take with Dr. Burton in the biopsy lab?
2. What does Hall realize about Andromeda when thinking about Jackson's acidosis?
3. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
4. Write about the men of Wildfire and their motivations for finding the cure for Wildfire.
5. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
6. When Hall realizes why Jackson is alive, what does he figure out about the baby?
7. Leavitt has a dream about a house. When he wakens he believes it has an answer to Andromeda. Describe the dream and his thoughts and reactions to the dream.
8. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
9. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
10. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science has the potential to empower or to enslave humanity. What do you think this means? How does it relate to life in the 21st century? How does it relate to your life?
Essay Topic 2
In this book the government had several "top secret" projects of which few of its citizens were knowledgeable. Do you think this is okay for the government to do? Do you believe that the government should keep secrets from the people? Why or why not? Do you think the government should have first access to all technology? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the meaning of this phrase: "Especially in the United States, consumers decide what technology is worthy of purchase." How does your life illustrate that idea? Do you think the idea would be meaningless in a much more technologically-lower country? Why?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)