|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stone feel they have plenty of time to solve the mystery of the satellite's contamination?
2. What happens to the men's attitude now that they know directive 7-12 was not invoked?
3. What does the spectrometer show about the composition of the Andromeda strain?
4. What does Hall think made Jackson survive Andromeda?
5. What have these home remedies done to Jackson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the x-ray crystallography results show about Andromeda?
2. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
3. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
4. After knowing about the baby's blood pH and Jackson's blood pH, what does Hall figure out?
5. When he knows about Andromeda's weakness what action does Hall take with Dr. Burton in the biopsy lab?
6. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
7. In the conference room in Chapter 12, Dr. Stone talks about a man named Rudolph Karp. Who is Karp? Why does Stone discuss him?
8. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
9. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
10. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The folly of trusting automated processing above human supervision is first shown by the printer jam early in the book, and yet many of our systems, from communications to financial are automated or at least depend heavily upon computers and other machines. Do you think it's reasonable for humans to rely so heavily upon "machines?" Describe the advantages and disadvantages of such a dependence.
Essay Topic 2
In this book the government had several "top secret" projects of which few of its citizens were knowledgeable. Do you think this is okay for the government to do? Do you believe that the government should keep secrets from the people? Why or why not? Do you think the government should have first access to all technology? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)