|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hall realizes the reason for Jackson's and the baby's survival what does he do?
2. What does the Wildfire team believe about the origin of the Scoop contamination?
3. How is the center core protected, level to level?
4. What does Jackson say to Hall when Hall wakes him?
5. What the main hypothesis the men have about why Scoop fell out of orbit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write about the men of Wildfire and their motivations for finding the cure for Wildfire.
2. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
3. Describe the crash scene of the military jet to which Major Manchek travels . What does it look like? What does he find?
4. Describe Dr. Hall's first meeting with Peter Jackson. What does Jackson look like? What does Hall do?
5. When Hall realizes why Jackson is alive, what does he figure out about the baby?
6. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
7. Leavitt has a dream about a house. When he wakens he believes it has an answer to Andromeda. Describe the dream and his thoughts and reactions to the dream.
8. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
9. How did Andromeda infect the town of Piedmont?
10. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
Essay Topic 2
One theme explored in this book relates to the rising fear in the mid-twentieth century that mankind would become slaves to technology. Do you think this is possible? Why? Give examples of what you believe illustrates this fear. Do you believe you've become a slave to technology in your own life? How? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Science has the potential to empower or to enslave humanity. What do you think this means? How does it relate to life in the 21st century? How does it relate to your life?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)