|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the van with Lt. Shawn?
2. What concerned Merrick about alien encounters?
3. What brought about the first scientific crisis in history?
4. In Delta sector on Level I, a man sits before a giant communications console. What is his job?
5. What does Private Crane do for Lt. Shawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two things Stone and Burton knew when they landed in Piedmont?
2. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
3. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
4. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
5. Why does Stone believe the Wildfire lab has "the capability to deal with an unknown biologic agent."?
6. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
7. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
8. Explain why the government agreed to extend funds and build Wildfire?
9. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
10. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book the government had several "top secret" projects of which few of its citizens were knowledgeable. Do you think this is okay for the government to do? Do you believe that the government should keep secrets from the people? Why or why not? Do you think the government should have first access to all technology? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend that the Andromeda Strain was engineered by aliens and sent to earth. Why do you think aliens would do that?
Essay Topic 3
Did this book hold your interest throughout? How? Why? If not, why? Describe what parts interested you the most and any parts you thought were boring. Did you foresee the end long before it came? How?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)