|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lt. Shawn do as he approaches Piedmont?
2. What is Dr. Burton's specialty ?
3. What does Mark Hall learn about the Wildfire lab as he's reading the last of the file?
4. Why are the private and lieutenant looking for the Scoop satellite?
5. What did English biophysicist, J.J. Merrick, discuss at a biological symposium?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
2. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
3. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
4. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
5. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
6. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
7. What are the protocols Leavitt personally put into place for Wildfire?
8. Why does Stone believe the Wildfire lab has "the capability to deal with an unknown biologic agent."?
9. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
10. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe this book is saying about scientific advancements? Do you agree with that view point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe all the objects in your home and their uses that were invented in the past thirty years. Do you think life would be difficult without them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the meaning of this phrase: "Especially in the United States, consumers decide what technology is worthy of purchase." How does your life illustrate that idea? Do you think the idea would be meaningless in a much more technologically-lower country? Why?
This section contains 1,590 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)