|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manchek contact Wildfire?
2. What is Dr. Stone doing when the military shows up at his door?
3. What does Dr. Stone tell his wife as he leaves?
4. Why was Hall, a surgeon, chosen for the team?
5. How does the President respond to Stone's request for a directive 7-12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
2. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
3. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
4. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
5. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
6. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
7. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
8. What is Lieutenant Roger Shawn doing at the beginning of the book?
9. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
10. Explain why the government agreed to extend funds and build Wildfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the atmosphere inside the Wildfire lab. Did the men like each other? With the work they are doing does it matter if they like each other? How did they treat the staff? How did they feel about Wildfire?
Essay Topic 2
The process of "decontaminating" the body is almost inherently self-hating. It is as if Jeremy Stone, who designed the Wildfire decontamination process, believes human bodies are loathsome and dirty. Visualize a world where everyone thought this. How would humans interact? What type of emotions do you think humans would develop? How would reproduction occur? If you stepped into a world in the future where the human body was considered loathsome and dirty, where no one would get close to another person, how would you feel? What would you do?
Essay Topic 3
Pretend that the Andromeda Strain was engineered by aliens and sent to earth. Why do you think aliens would do that?
This section contains 1,590 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)