|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Burton's specialty ?
2. What does Major Arthur Manchek order when he hears of the radio silence at Piedmont?
3. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
4. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
5. What does Lt. Comroe at mission control do when told about the bodies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
2. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
3. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
4. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
5. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
6. Why does Stone believe the Wildfire lab has "the capability to deal with an unknown biologic agent."?
7. Write a description of Piedmont from Lieutenant Shawn's perspective looking from above.
8. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
9. Describe what the Wildfire lab looks like on first approach.
10. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Burton. Do you think he made too many mistakes to stay on the Wildfire team? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the technological advancements made in the past fifty years, why do you think there are people still starving in the world? Do you think better use could be made of the human mind than technological advances?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Leavitt. Did you like him? Does he remind you of anyone you know? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)