|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
2. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
3. How does the information needed to contact Wildfire read?
4. What do the white spots on Jagger's film indicate?
5. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
2. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
3. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
4. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
5. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
6. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
7. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
8. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
9. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
10. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader can hardly miss the irony that the government spent $22 million building a laboratory designed to protect humanity against the very biological weapons the government spent even more money importing from outer space. Do you believe the government has the right to develop any kind of weapon it can conceive? Do you believe there is a limit to what the military of one country can do to another? Who do you think should control that? What do you believe are the limits? What types of weapons do you think the government might be working on that you think should never be manufactured? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The folly of trusting automated processing above human supervision is first shown by the printer jam early in the book, and yet many of our systems, from communications to financial are automated or at least depend heavily upon computers and other machines. Do you think it's reasonable for humans to rely so heavily upon "machines?" Describe the advantages and disadvantages of such a dependence.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the atmosphere inside the Wildfire lab. Did the men like each other? With the work they are doing does it matter if they like each other? How did they treat the staff? How did they feel about Wildfire?
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)