|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the van with Lt. Shawn?
2. In what configuration is the Wildfire lab built?
3. Why was Hall, a surgeon, chosen for the team?
4. What is Dr. Burton's specialty ?
5. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wildfire put into action by Manchek's phone call?
2. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
3. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
4. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
5. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
6. Write a description of Piedmont from Lieutenant Shawn's perspective looking from above.
7. What are the protocols Leavitt personally put into place for Wildfire?
8. What is Lieutenant Roger Shawn doing at the beginning of the book?
9. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
10. Describe what the Wildfire lab looks like on first approach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
Essay Topic 2
Leavitt discusses a machine invented to provide computerized physical exams. The machine is designed to replace doctors. How would you feel if such a machine existed? Describe a scene where you are being examined by a machine. How do you feel? How do you relate to the machine? Do you miss a flesh and blood physician? Would you trust a machine as your doctor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In this book the government had several "top secret" projects of which few of its citizens were knowledgeable. Do you think this is okay for the government to do? Do you believe that the government should keep secrets from the people? Why or why not? Do you think the government should have first access to all technology? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)