|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of Piedmont, Arizona?
2. What does Major Arthur Manchek order when he hears of the radio silence at Piedmont?
3. What did English biophysicist, J.J. Merrick, discuss at a biological symposium?
4. What does Hall do about his appointment to Wildfire?
5. What is Burton and Stone's working hypothesis about the killer in Piedmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wildfire put into action by Manchek's phone call?
2. What are the protocols Leavitt personally put into place for Wildfire?
3. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
4. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
5. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
6. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
7. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
8. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
9. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
10. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader can hardly miss the irony that the government spent $22 million building a laboratory designed to protect humanity against the very biological weapons the government spent even more money importing from outer space. Do you believe the government has the right to develop any kind of weapon it can conceive? Do you believe there is a limit to what the military of one country can do to another? Who do you think should control that? What do you believe are the limits? What types of weapons do you think the government might be working on that you think should never be manufactured? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the technological advancements made in the past fifty years, why do you think there are people still starving in the world? Do you think better use could be made of the human mind than technological advances?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the atmosphere inside the Wildfire lab. Did the men like each other? With the work they are doing does it matter if they like each other? How did they treat the staff? How did they feel about Wildfire?
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)