|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone ask Manchek to call for to take care of the danger at Piedmont?
2. What does the Department of Defense do about Stone's proposal?
3. Who do they find alive in the town?
4. What does their nighttime surveillance reveal?
5. What do they see in the sky over Piedmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
2. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
3. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
4. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
5. How is Wildfire put into action by Manchek's phone call?
6. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
7. What is Lieutenant Roger Shawn doing at the beginning of the book?
8. What were the two things Stone and Burton knew when they landed in Piedmont?
9. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
10. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Leavitt. Did you like him? Does he remind you of anyone you know? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
Essay Topic 3
Leavitt discusses a machine invented to provide computerized physical exams. The machine is designed to replace doctors. How would you feel if such a machine existed? Describe a scene where you are being examined by a machine. How do you feel? How do you relate to the machine? Do you miss a flesh and blood physician? Would you trust a machine as your doctor? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)