|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manchek asked to do when he calls to alert Wildfire?
2. When they arrive at Piedmont, what do Burton and Stone do first?
3. What does Dr. Hall notice about Dr. Leavitt as they get in the sedan that was sent for them?
4. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
5. What does Dr. Stone tell his wife as he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chain of events, in Stone's mind that has lead up to project Wildfire.
2. How is Wildfire put into action by Manchek's phone call?
3. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
4. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
5. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
6. Explain why the government agreed to extend funds and build Wildfire?
7. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
8. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
9. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
10. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The process of "decontaminating" the body is almost inherently self-hating. It is as if Jeremy Stone, who designed the Wildfire decontamination process, believes human bodies are loathsome and dirty. Visualize a world where everyone thought this. How would humans interact? What type of emotions do you think humans would develop? How would reproduction occur? If you stepped into a world in the future where the human body was considered loathsome and dirty, where no one would get close to another person, how would you feel? What would you do?
Essay Topic 2
Leavitt discusses a machine invented to provide computerized physical exams. The machine is designed to replace doctors. How would you feel if such a machine existed? Describe a scene where you are being examined by a machine. How do you feel? How do you relate to the machine? Do you miss a flesh and blood physician? Would you trust a machine as your doctor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When considering all the technology in this book, do you believe humans are ready to have such technology? Do you think humans are civilized enough to go into space? Why do you think we have not flown people to another planet yet?
This section contains 1,926 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)