|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an electron microscope work better than any other type of scope?
(a) it uses electric current across the lens
(b) it uses lasers to shine on the subject
(c) it has a bigger lens
(d) it uses magnetic fields rather than light rays to view and enlarge objects
2. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
(a) that he'd be afraid too, in that position
(b) that he's a whimp
(c) that the man shouldn't have gone into this kind of work
(d) The idea of being scared to death is somehow the answer
3. What bothers Hall about the substations that will turn off a self-destruct?
(a) that he could be sealed off in a section without a substation
(b) it takes too much time to insert the key
(c) they're painted red
(d) they're spaced too close together
4. What have these home remedies done to Jackson?
(a) made him a drug addict
(b) created acidosis, or excess acidity in the body
(c) made him insane
(d) has aged him before his time
5. What did Stone and Leavitt find in the satellite?
(a) a piece of a missle
(b) a message written in Greek
(c) a meteror rock with a green substance growing on it
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hall think the baby's survival and the birds' survival are related?
2. What happens as soon as more gaskets are discovered to be damaged?
3. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
4. What is the men's theory about Andromeda and blood vessels?
5. When a training pilot crashes after flying above the Piedmont area, what do they find at the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write about some of the mistakes the scientists made when dealing with Andromeda.
2. When he knows about Andromeda's weakness what action does Hall take with Dr. Burton in the biopsy lab?
3. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
4. Write about the men of Wildfire and their motivations for finding the cure for Wildfire.
5. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
6. After knowing about the baby's blood pH and Jackson's blood pH, what does Hall figure out?
7. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
8. What does Hall realize about Andromeda when thinking about Jackson's acidosis?
9. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
10. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)