|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
(a) it's too fragile
(b) there's too many antibiotics in the world
(c) nature made it so it stops at a certain size
(d) food and oxygen run out
2. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
(a) that he's a whimp
(b) that the man shouldn't have gone into this kind of work
(c) that he'd be afraid too, in that position
(d) The idea of being scared to death is somehow the answer
3. What is Leavitt's rule of "48"?
(a) all scientists are blind
(b) there's 48 types of mistakes in any problem
(c) there's 48 ways to do anything
(d) all scientists are obsessed with their work
4. What does the Wildfire group eat for breakfast?
(a) oatmeal with honey
(b) a glass of dark brown juice, which tastes like orange juice
(c) a large pill which is all the nutrients they need
(d) eggs, toast and bacon
5. What do they put into the room with the satellite first?
(a) a black Norway lab rat
(b) a white cat
(c) a brown dog
(d) a pig
Short Answer Questions
1. While dealing with Burton, Hall and Stone hear another emergency announcement by the computer. It is:
2. What happens as soon as more gaskets are discovered to be damaged?
3. How often do the doctors get together to discuss results?
4. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
5. What type of waste products did Andromeda produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
2. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
3. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
4. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
5. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
6. How did the Scoop satellite end up on earth? What do the scientist think?
7. What did Manchek find about the wreck of the plane?
8. After knowing about the baby's blood pH and Jackson's blood pH, what does Hall figure out?
9. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
10. When Hall realizes why Jackson is alive, what does he figure out about the baby?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)