|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
(a) the rats live longer, but still succumb to the disease
(b) they don't die when exposed to the disease
(c) they lay down and go to sleep
(d) they bleed out of their noses
2. What happens when Hall runs to the door?
(a) he gets his arm caught in the sliding door
(b) he gets out and runs to the substation down the hall
(c) he slips, falls and breaks his ankle
(d) it's too late; he is sealed in, away from the substations
3. What happens as the men stare at the green substance attached to the meteor?
(a) it starts to hum
(b) it turns purple and grows right before their eyes
(c) it grows smaller
(d) it begins to emit light in a pattern
4. What do they do when they realize a nuclear detonation in Piedmont will provide Andromeda with a limitless supply of energy?
(b) call off the directive 7-12 to nuke Piedmont
(c) faint dead away
(d) start screaming at each other
5. What does the answering service supervisor tell Hall when he keeps pushing the red button by his bed?
(a) that he is late for breakfast
(b) that tomorrow a male voice will waken him
(c) that pushing the red button calls him
(d) that he ought to take this project more seriously
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the center core protected, level to level?
2. While running to the autopsy room, Hall notices that Leavitt appears to be in a trance. Why does he appear that way?
3. There is a lab rat in the room with Dr. Burton, what do Stone and Hall notice about it?
4. What does Hall race back to the autopsy room to stop?
5. What did Stone and Leavitt find in the satellite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mark Hall's reaction to the female computer voice important?
2. Write about some of the mistakes the scientists made when dealing with Andromeda.
3. Describe the study Leavitt uses as the basis for his rule of 48.
4. Describe the first exploration of the satellite. What did the men do? What did they find?
5. How did Andromeda infect the town of Piedmont?
6. What kinds of animals are used in research? What do various animals do best? Why is the Black Norway Rat used most often in scientific experiments?
7. How does Hall finally find out about Leavitt's epilepsy and what does he do about it?
8. What do you think Montaigne meant by the quote "Men under stress are fools, and fool themselves." in relationship to the behavior of the men at Wildfire?
9. The scientist are not bad men. It would be easy to see them that way. How does the narrator see them? Or the reader?
10. What is the real mission of Scoop? What do the scientist do when they find out?
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)