|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Major Arthur Manchek?
(a) the man who came up with the Wildfire idea
(b) the air force officer who flew a jet over Piedmont
(c) Chief Duty Officer and man in charge of all Scoop Project activities
(d) advisor to the president on the Scoop project
2. What does the narrator say about Lieutenant Shawn's life?
(a) that he's been wasting it
(b) that these are the last few moments he will live
(c) that he is young and has a long life ahead of him
(d) that he is soon to start college
3. What brought about the first scientific crisis in history?
(a) the discovery of the atom
(b) the advent of modern science
(c) the invasion of aliens
(d) the discovery of an alien space ship
4. What is Project Wildfire?
(a) a think tank of politicians
(b) a project to reforest burnt land
(c) a program they taught in scool
(d) a high-tech laboratory, plus a team of scientists
5. Where is Mission Control for Project Scoop located?
(a) Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
(b) Vandenberg Airforce Base
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) NASA headquarters in Birmingham
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Stone doing when the military shows up at his door?
2. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
3. What is Manchek asked to do when he calls to alert Wildfire?
4. What does Hall believe about the possibility of a real Wildfire crisis?
5. What does Samuel "Gunner" Wilson, pilot of the Scavenger plane see as he flies over Piedmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
2. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
3. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
4. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
5. Describe the chain of events, in Stone's mind that has lead up to project Wildfire.
6. What were the two things Stone and Burton knew when they landed in Piedmont?
7. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
8. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
9. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
10. Describe what the Wildfire lab looks like on first approach.
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)