|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stone say the government should do about the possibility of alien bacteria?
(a) the government should construct a laboratory equipped to handle dangerous alien bacteria
(b) they should sit up a comittee and study the question
(c) they should offer a grant to Stone to look at the question
(d) they shouldn't do anything unless it happens
2. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
(a) Dr. Steven Levine
(b) Dr. Kathleen Coller
(c) Dr. Charles Burton, professor at Baylor Medical School
(d) Dr. Byon Shelby
3. What is the first response to Mancheck's call to Wildfire?
(a) to call the White House
(b) to shut down the electricity around Piedmont
(c) a top-secret cable is issued informing other military units
(d) to call each scientist on the list
4. What were the first two scientific crises in history?
(a) a viable solar energy system and splitting the atom
(b) finding a vaccine for small pox and the Andromeda Strain
(c) the flu epidemic of 1918 and electrical power generation
(d) the atomic energy and space capability crises
5. What is Manchek asked to do when he calls to alert Wildfire?
(a) nothing, activating Wildfire is completely automated
(b) to meet with the scientists
(c) to destroy all evidence
(d) to write up a report of the incident
Short Answer Questions
1. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
2. How does the information needed to contact Wildfire read?
3. When the communication specialist checks the equipment, what does he find?
4. What does Samuel "Gunner" Wilson, pilot of the Scavenger plane see as he flies over Piedmont?
5. What does Major Arthur Manchek order when he hears of the radio silence at Piedmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
2. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
3. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
4. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
5. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
6. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
7. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
8. What are the protocols Leavitt personally put into place for Wildfire?
9. What were the two things Stone and Burton knew when they landed in Piedmont?
10. Write a description of Piedmont from Lieutenant Shawn's perspective looking from above.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)