|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Stone tell his wife as he leaves?
(a) that there must be some mistake, he'll go clear it up
(b) that he will be gone for an indefinite number of weeks
(c) that he'd see her tomorrow
(d) that it's an emergency epidemic and to pack her bag
2. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
(a) goes to bed
(b) meets his wife for breakfast
(c) decides to call for a state of emergency
(d) takes his dog for a walk
3. What doesn't the government tell Stone about Scoop?
(a) that a friend of his died from an alien virus a different Scoop brought back
(b) it's an attempt to engage in germ warfare by the U.S. military
(c) it is not under the control of Congress
(d) it has brought back other samples of alien life
4. What is Dr. Stone doing when the military shows up at his door?
(a) he's not there, he's at work
(c) saying good-bye to dinner guests
(d) reading the newspaper
5. Who is walking among the bodies?
(a) several dogs pulling on the clothes
(b) the town doctor
(c) a couple of house cats
(d) an old man in a white robe
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
2. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
3. What does Hall do about his appointment to Wildfire?
4. What briefing does Manchek think about when reviewing what Jagger has told him?
5. What does the narrator say the nature of all national crises prior to the scientific boom was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
2. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
3. What kind of ominous hint does the author leave with the reader?
4. What does Hall find out about the Andromeda Strain when he wakens?
5. Describe Dr. Hall's first meeting with Peter Jackson. What does Jackson look like? What does Hall do?
6. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
7. Why is uncontrolled bacterial growth is a frightening concept?
8. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
9. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
10. What does the author suggest about the Andromeda strain at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)