|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Burton appear to Stone?
(a) an absent-minded professor with sloppy clothes and untidy hair
(b) a sharp dresser and compulsive individual
(c) a young football player
(d) a monk in brown robes
2. What kind of theory did noted scholar, Alfred Pockran, have about national crises?
(a) crisis are created by politicians for good ratings
(b) crisis always have a beginning and end
(c) crises are created by the individual men involved in the events
(d) crisis are created by enemies of the nation
3. What is Lt. Shawn looking at with a pair of binoculars at the start of the book?
(a) the town of Piedmont, Arizona
(b) a couple of bears
(c) two purple vans with peace symbols
(d) his brother's backyard
4. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
(a) he's happy and enthusiastic about it
(b) it's against his wishes
(c) he's decided fate must have a reason
(d) he's indifferent to it
5. How does the information needed to contact Wildfire read?
(a) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify the FBI
(b) IN CASE OF FIRE -- Notify Division 87 -- Emergencies Only
(c) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify SECURITY OFFICER 37
(d) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify the fire department
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
2. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
3. What does Hall believe about the possibility of a real Wildfire crisis?
4. What does the narrator say about the men of Wildfire that will affect the outcome of the work?
5. On the way to Wildfire, what does Dr. Leavitt tell Dr. Hall to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
2. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
3. What were the two things Stone and Burton knew when they landed in Piedmont?
4. Explain why the government agreed to extend funds and build Wildfire?
5. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
6. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
7. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
8. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
9. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
10. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)