|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Hall notice about Dr. Leavitt as they get in the sedan that was sent for them?
(a) he's limping on his right leg
(b) Leavitt turns his head away from the flashing lights on top of the sedan.
(c) he looks a lot younger than his age
(d) his hair has thinned on top
2. What is Project Wildfire?
(a) a high-tech laboratory, plus a team of scientists
(b) a think tank of politicians
(c) a program they taught in scool
(d) a project to reforest burnt land
3. On Jagger's film, one of the white images is in motion. What does that mean?
(a) there is a very large buzzard flying at almost ground level
(b) the pilot went too fast when he shot the film
(c) there is a survivor
(d) the camera moved when it shot the picture
4. On the way to Wildfire, what does Dr. Leavitt tell Dr. Hall to do?
(a) to read the project file before arriving at Wildfire
(b) call his mother and tell her where he is
(c) take Leavitt's blood pressure
(d) make out his will
5. How does Leavitt feel about Wildfire?
(a) he misses his wife and wishes he hadn't been called
(b) he's skeptical that it is necessary
(c) he's indifferent
(d) he is fascinated with Wildfire and excited to be working on it
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
2. What is the population of Piedmont, Arizona?
3. Who is Major Arthur Manchek?
4. What kind of theory did noted scholar, Alfred Pockran, have about national crises?
5. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
2. Write about the procedure the three planes used to look at and take pictures of Piedmont and the capability of the scavenger spy plane.
3. What does Manchek do after reviewing the intelligence with Jagger?
4. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
5. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
6. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
7. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
8. Describe the chain of events, in Stone's mind that has lead up to project Wildfire.
9. Write a description of Piedmont from Lieutenant Shawn's perspective looking from above.
10. What is Lieutenant Roger Shawn doing at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)