|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
(a) meets his wife for breakfast
(b) takes his dog for a walk
(c) decides to call for a state of emergency
(d) goes to bed
2. What's the last thing Lt. Comcoe hears from the radio?
(a) two dogs barking and growling at each other
(b) the man in the white robe talking to Shawn
(c) Crane calling out in a high-pitched scream
(d) someone pounding on Lt. Shawn's van door
3. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
(a) Dr. Kathleen Coller
(b) Dr. Charles Burton, professor at Baylor Medical School
(c) Dr. Byon Shelby
(d) Dr. Steven Levine
4. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
(a) calls the President of the United States
(b) hesitates before making his next move
(c) takes a helicopter to Piedmont
(d) calls out the National Guard
5. What does Samuel "Gunner" Wilson, pilot of the Scavenger plane see as he flies over Piedmont?
(a) an old Ford with its lights flashing
(b) a line of bodies stretched out below him in the center of Piedmont.
(c) the white robed man jumping up and down and waving
(d) he doesn't see anything, it's too dark
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lt. Comroe at mission control do when told about the bodies?
2. What brought about the first scientific crisis in history?
3. How does the President respond to Stone's request for a directive 7-12?
4. What do they see in the sky over Piedmont?
5. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Odd Man Hypothesis. Do you think it's a good idea?
2. Already, by chapter 4, the reader can tell this is a technical narrative. How does the author handle the technology?
3. In Chapter 3, the narrator discusses the nature of crisis from a historical perspective. What does he have to say about the nature of crisis?
4. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
5. What is Jagger's job and what does he say about the reconnoiter photos and what they show.
6. Describe Dr. Burton as he rides in the helicopter with Dr. Stone going to Piedmont. Tell a little of his background in science.
7. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
8. Describe what the Wildfire lab looks like on first approach.
9. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
10. Why does Stone believe the Wildfire lab has "the capability to deal with an unknown biologic agent."?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)