|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel "Gunner" Wilson, pilot of the Scavenger plane see as he flies over Piedmont?
(a) a line of bodies stretched out below him in the center of Piedmont.
(b) the white robed man jumping up and down and waving
(c) an old Ford with its lights flashing
(d) he doesn't see anything, it's too dark
2. What's the last thing Lt. Comcoe hears from the radio?
(a) the man in the white robe talking to Shawn
(b) two dogs barking and growling at each other
(c) someone pounding on Lt. Shawn's van door
(d) Crane calling out in a high-pitched scream
3. What is the first response to Mancheck's call to Wildfire?
(a) to shut down the electricity around Piedmont
(b) to call the White House
(c) to call each scientist on the list
(d) a top-secret cable is issued informing other military units
4. What did Merrick theorize?
(a) that alien species would contact earth
(b) the first alien species encountered by man would be a bacterium
(c) that alien species could not exist
(d) that alien species would be hostile
5. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
(a) it was designed to obtain samples of alien bacterial life in space
(b) that NASA doesn't know about it
(c) that the Scoop satellite in Piedmont is the first one sent up
(d) that a civilian billionaire is paying for it
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
2. What doesn't the government tell Stone about Scoop?
3. What does Stone say the government should do about the possibility of alien bacteria?
4. What did English biophysicist, J.J. Merrick, discuss at a biological symposium?
5. In Delta sector on Level I, a man sits before a giant communications console. What is his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the narration, the characters and the plot thus revealed that makes you want to read further?
2. Describe Major Arthur Manchek.
3. Explain why the government agreed to extend funds and build Wildfire?
4. Write about the first pages of the book and what the author does to grab the reader's attention.
5. What decontamination processes do the men go through on Level 2, 3 and 4?
6. On level 1 what does Stone tell the men when he briefs them about the Wildfire lab?
7. Describe what happens at Dr. Stone's house when he's called for Wildfire.
8. The author states his theme that crises are made up of human personalities. How does he introduce his characters?
9. Describe what the Wildfire lab looks like on first approach.
10. Write about the narrator. What is his purpose? How is his purpose carried out?
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)