|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hall find out about Andromeda from the Ph level report?
(a) Andromeda has no reaction to any pH level
(b) Andromeda grows within a narrow range of pH
(c) Andromeda can grow in most pH levels
(d) Andromeda likes all pH levels but 7.1
2. When a training pilot crashes after flying above the Piedmont area, what do they find at the plane?
(a) the pilot had left a note to his wife
(b) all the new plastic polymer that replaced rubber in the plane has dissolved
(c) the pilot was too young to be flying
(d) the instrument panel was gone
3. What will Hall wear to examine the two survivors of Piedmont?
(a) a full body glove
(b) an astronaut's suit
(c) his level 5 coveralls
(d) latex gloves and surgical mask
4. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
(a) the rats live longer, but still succumb to the disease
(b) they bleed out of their noses
(c) they don't die when exposed to the disease
(d) they lay down and go to sleep
5. In communications, why does Captain Morris check for computer malfunctions?
(a) it's time for him to go off shift
(b) he thought he heard the bell ring
(c) he's suspicious, because the bell has not rung for some time to signal an incoming communication
(d) he's just doing his job
6. While dealing with Burton, Hall and Stone hear another emergency announcement by the computer. It is:
(a) Andromeda is now in level 1
(b) a nuclear bomb was dropped on Piedmont
(c) Leavitt is having another seizure
(d) The gasket seals in three other sections have failed
7. What have these home remedies done to Jackson?
(a) made him a drug addict
(b) created acidosis, or excess acidity in the body
(c) made him insane
(d) has aged him before his time
8. What does the Wildfire team believe about the origin of the Scoop contamination?
(a) they come to believe it is an alien life form
(b) there is no contamination; nothing can live in space
(c) that the contamination happened before the satellite left earth
(d) the contamination has earth germs that mutated
9. What does the answering service supervisor tell Hall when he keeps pushing the red button by his bed?
(a) that pushing the red button calls him
(b) that he ought to take this project more seriously
(c) that tomorrow a male voice will waken him
(d) that he is late for breakfast
10. What the main hypothesis the men have about why Scoop fell out of orbit?
(a) its batteries ran out
(b) the satellite hit something in its path
(c) it was at the end of its allocated usefulness
(d) the Russians shot it down
11. What does Stone do when they find the message?
(a) calls the president's advisor to try to talk him into initiating directive 7-12 immediately
(b) rips it up and throws it in the trash
(c) shruggs his shoulders and quotes politics
(d) asks the others what they should do
12. On what former scientific belief did Leavitt base his rule of 48?
(a) the earth is flat
(b) it is impossible to put any object into outer space
(c) science's once irrevocable conclusion that the human body contains forty-eight chromosomes
(d) the earth revolves around the sun
13. Where are the laboratories and equipment rooms that they will be using on level 5?
(a) along the perimeter of the cone
(b) in the north section of the level
(c) anywhere there was room to put them
(d) sealed away inside the central core
14. If the organism directly converts energy to matter with no waste what is it functioning like?
(a) a virus
(b) like a highly efficient atomic reactor
(c) a generator
(d) a human body cell
15. What do they put into the room with the satellite first?
(a) a pig
(b) a white cat
(c) a brown dog
(d) a black Norway lab rat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stone do to help Burton in the autopsy room when he's been exposed to Andromeda?
2. What does Burton's tests determine about the dead bodies?
3. Why does Stone feel they have plenty of time to solve the mystery of the satellite's contamination?
4. What happens to the men's attitude now that they know directive 7-12 was not invoked?
5. Why does an electron microscope work better than any other type of scope?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)