|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hall runs to the door?
(a) he slips, falls and breaks his ankle
(b) he gets his arm caught in the sliding door
(c) he gets out and runs to the substation down the hall
(d) it's too late; he is sealed in, away from the substations
2. What have these home remedies done to Jackson?
(a) made him a drug addict
(b) has aged him before his time
(c) made him insane
(d) created acidosis, or excess acidity in the body
3. What message have the men received without their knowledge, that they find by accident?
(a) that Dr. Leavitt's wife is in the hospital
(b) that another sattellite has come down to earth
(c) that the plaque has spread to Texas
(d) the notification about the President's decision to delay directive 7-12
4. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
(a) food and oxygen run out
(b) it's too fragile
(c) nature made it so it stops at a certain size
(d) there's too many antibiotics in the world
5. What happens as the men stare at the green substance attached to the meteor?
(a) it turns purple and grows right before their eyes
(b) it begins to emit light in a pattern
(c) it starts to hum
(d) it grows smaller
6. For what reason do the men decide some of the Piedmont people seemed to have committed suicide?
(a) they were too afraid to die of Andromeda
(b) they couldn't stand seeing all their family and friends dead
(c) Andromeda told them to do it
(d) brain hemorrhages are capable of causing insanity as well as death
7. How often do the doctors get together to discuss results?
(a) every day
(b) once every four hours
(c) they never get together, each man is responsible for his own area
(d) every twelve hours
8. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
(a) they bleed out of their noses
(b) they don't die when exposed to the disease
(c) the rats live longer, but still succumb to the disease
(d) they lay down and go to sleep
9. When the seal has been broken in the Autopsy room, who is in there?
(a) Dr. Stone
(b) Dr. Burton
(c) Mark Hall
(d) Dr. Leavitt
10. What does Stone see when he turns on the scope?
(a) a perfect six-sided hexagon, interlocked with other equally perfect hexagons on each side
(b) a long, stringy virus
(c) a molecue in the shape of a triangle
(d) a densely packed blob with no real edges
11. Why does Stone feel they have plenty of time to solve the mystery of the satellite's contamination?
(a) the President said to take their time
(b) with Piedmont nuked there is no danger to the outside
(c) it's only been a couple days
(d) nothing bad has happened so far
12. When a training pilot crashes after flying above the Piedmont area, what do they find at the plane?
(a) the instrument panel was gone
(b) all the new plastic polymer that replaced rubber in the plane has dissolved
(c) the pilot was too young to be flying
(d) the pilot had left a note to his wife
13. What does Jackson say to Hall when Hall wakes him?
(a) tells him he doesn't need a doctor
(b) tells him to go away
(c) he doesn't talk to him
(d) tells him the baby's mother's name
14. When Hall realizes the reason for Jackson's and the baby's survival what does he do?
(a) brags to his assistant, Karen
(b) races to the autopsy lab to strut it out in front of Stone
(c) asks the computer to report Andromeda growth results based on pH levels
(d) jumps up and down pumping his fist
15. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
(a) that he'd be afraid too, in that position
(b) The idea of being scared to death is somehow the answer
(c) that the man shouldn't have gone into this kind of work
(d) that he's a whimp
Short Answer Questions
1. On what former scientific belief did Leavitt base his rule of 48?
2. How did the men feel about finding a solution to Andromeda?
3. What does the answering service supervisor tell Hall when he keeps pushing the red button by his bed?
4. What seems to produce the best growth in Andromeda?
5. What does Jackson do for his ulcer?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)