|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Wildfire group eat for breakfast?
(a) eggs, toast and bacon
(b) a large pill which is all the nutrients they need
(c) oatmeal with honey
(d) a glass of dark brown juice, which tastes like orange juice
2. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
(a) food and oxygen run out
(b) there's too many antibiotics in the world
(c) it's too fragile
(d) nature made it so it stops at a certain size
3. How often do the doctors get together to discuss results?
(a) once every four hours
(b) every day
(c) every twelve hours
(d) they never get together, each man is responsible for his own area
4. What seems to produce the best growth in Andromeda?
(a) any type of energy causes it to grow well
(b) saline solution
(c) chocolate ice cream
(d) pure oxygen
5. What is the The Messenger Theory?
(a) that atoms communicate with other atoms to bind together
(b) that molecues talk to each other through light
(c) tiny organisms that grow into a complete life form capable of communicating
(d) that Morse code is effective
6. On what former scientific belief did Leavitt base his rule of 48?
(a) science's once irrevocable conclusion that the human body contains forty-eight chromosomes
(b) the earth revolves around the sun
(c) it is impossible to put any object into outer space
(d) the earth is flat
7. If the organism directly converts energy to matter with no waste what is it functioning like?
(a) like a highly efficient atomic reactor
(b) a human body cell
(c) a virus
(d) a generator
8. What happens to the rat when deposited near the satellite?
(a) it becomes paralyzed
(b) it is dead within seconds
(c) it runs around looking for food
(d) it lays down and goes to sleep
9. Jackson tells Hall he has a medical problem. What is it?
(a) he has an ulcer, which he has had for two years
(b) he says he has an old war wound
(c) he has thin blood
(d) he says he just getting old
10. What does Hall think about Burton's fear?
(a) that he's a whimp
(b) that the man shouldn't have gone into this kind of work
(c) that he'd be afraid too, in that position
(d) The idea of being scared to death is somehow the answer
11. Why are black Norway rats used in labs?
(a) because they're the cheapest ones available
(b) all black Norway rats are physically alike
(c) because they're very calm rats
(d) because black hides dirt and blood
12. Too whom does the female voice on the intercom belong?
(a) Dr. Stone's wife
(b) a sixty-three year old woman from Omaha, named Gladys Stevens
(c) one of the secretaries from level 1
(d) no one, it's computer simulated
13. What does Hall think made Jackson survive Andromeda?
(a) excessive acid in the bloodstream might prevent Andromeda from growing
(b) his bleeding ulcer made it too hard for the blood to coagulate
(c) Andromeda doesn't like asprin
(d) he's a mean, old man
14. How is the center core protected, level to level?
(a) with electrical shocks
(b) with guard dogs
(c) with laser beams
(d) sensors track movement in the core, and shoot ligamine darts at any moving target
15. What bothers Hall about the substations that will turn off a self-destruct?
(a) they're spaced too close together
(b) it takes too much time to insert the key
(c) that he could be sealed off in a section without a substation
(d) they're painted red
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ligamine darts hits Hall before he gets to level 4?
2. Based on the a Millipore filter size what does Burton conclude?
3. When Burton is still alive, but breathing fast from fear what does Hall do?
4. What did Stone and Leavitt find in the satellite?
5. What do they put into the room with the satellite first?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)