|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
(a) the rats live longer, but still succumb to the disease
(b) they bleed out of their noses
(c) they don't die when exposed to the disease
(d) they lay down and go to sleep
2. What seems to produce the best growth in Andromeda?
(a) any type of energy causes it to grow well
(b) pure oxygen
(c) saline solution
(d) chocolate ice cream
3. What does Stone do to help Burton in the autopsy room when he's been exposed to Andromeda?
(a) pumping oxygen into the room to inhibit the spread of Andromeda
(b) spraying the room with bleach
(c) nothing, he doesn't know what to do
(d) coating the walls with antibiotics
4. What do they do when they realize a nuclear detonation in Piedmont will provide Andromeda with a limitless supply of energy?
(b) faint dead away
(c) start screaming at each other
(d) call off the directive 7-12 to nuke Piedmont
5. Jackson tells Hall he has a medical problem. What is it?
(a) he says he has an old war wound
(b) he says he just getting old
(c) he has thin blood
(d) he has an ulcer, which he has had for two years
6. Burton's tests reveal that clotting begins in the lungs then progresses to the brain. What does that mean to him?
(a) that the brain is not that vulnerable to the disease
(b) that the disease does't clog the arteries
(c) that eveyone suffucated before they died
(d) the disease must be inhaled
7. There is another way for Hall to reach a substation. What is it?
(a) climbing to another level through the central core
(b) going through the ventilation shafts
(c) going up the outside of the lab
(d) taking an elevator to level 4
8. When a training pilot crashes after flying above the Piedmont area, what do they find at the plane?
(a) the pilot was too young to be flying
(b) the pilot had left a note to his wife
(c) the instrument panel was gone
(d) all the new plastic polymer that replaced rubber in the plane has dissolved
9. Why does an electron microscope work better than any other type of scope?
(a) it has a bigger lens
(b) it uses magnetic fields rather than light rays to view and enlarge objects
(c) it uses lasers to shine on the subject
(d) it uses electric current across the lens
10. What does Hall and Stone figure out when they hear the announcement about the gaskets?
(a) the mutated form of Andromeda is going to attack the glass
(b) Andromeda is attacking the computer
(c) the mutated form of Andromeda is only dangerous to rubber gaskets
(d) Andromeda doesn't want to be confined to the lab
11. How is the center core protected, level to level?
(a) sensors track movement in the core, and shoot ligamine darts at any moving target
(b) with electrical shocks
(c) with laser beams
(d) with guard dogs
12. What the main hypothesis the men have about why Scoop fell out of orbit?
(a) the Russians shot it down
(b) the satellite hit something in its path
(c) it was at the end of its allocated usefulness
(d) its batteries ran out
13. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
(a) it's too fragile
(b) there's too many antibiotics in the world
(c) nature made it so it stops at a certain size
(d) food and oxygen run out
14. What does Hall think made Jackson survive Andromeda?
(a) Andromeda doesn't like asprin
(b) excessive acid in the bloodstream might prevent Andromeda from growing
(c) his bleeding ulcer made it too hard for the blood to coagulate
(d) he's a mean, old man
15. How many ligamine darts hits Hall before he gets to level 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leavitt's rule of "48"?
2. What message have the men received without their knowledge, that they find by accident?
3. Why does Stone feel they have plenty of time to solve the mystery of the satellite's contamination?
4. For what reason do the men decide some of the Piedmont people seemed to have committed suicide?
5. While running to the autopsy room, Hall notices that Leavitt appears to be in a trance. Why does he appear that way?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)