|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't normal food available at the lab?
(a) it might provide a growth medium for bacteria
(b) it cost more than the nutrient drink
(c) cooks aren't allowed on level 4 or 5
(d) there's too many people to figure out what to cook
2. What does Jackson say to Hall when Hall wakes him?
(a) tells him to go away
(b) tells him the baby's mother's name
(c) he doesn't talk to him
(d) tells him he doesn't need a doctor
3. Why does an electron microscope work better than any other type of scope?
(a) it uses magnetic fields rather than light rays to view and enlarge objects
(b) it uses electric current across the lens
(c) it uses lasers to shine on the subject
(d) it has a bigger lens
4. What do they put into the room with the satellite first?
(a) a black Norway lab rat
(b) a brown dog
(c) a white cat
(d) a pig
5. What do they find out about the green substance and amino acids?
(a) it has no amino acids
(b) it shrinks in the presence of amino acids
(c) it makes amino acids out of the air
(d) it makes its own amino acids
6. What does the spectrometer show about the composition of the Andromeda strain?
(a) it has carbon and silicon in it
(b) it's radioactive
(c) it resembles earthly organic life
(d) it is not alive
7. What happens to the men's attitude now that they know directive 7-12 was not invoked?
(a) they're under extreme pressure
(b) they're relieved
(c) they're happy
(d) they are confident
8. What does Hall and Stone figure out when they hear the announcement about the gaskets?
(a) Andromeda doesn't want to be confined to the lab
(b) Andromeda is attacking the computer
(c) the mutated form of Andromeda is only dangerous to rubber gaskets
(d) the mutated form of Andromeda is going to attack the glass
9. What does Jackson do for his ulcer?
(a) he eats a gallon of vanilla ice cream every day
(b) he drinks maalox
(c) he doesn't do anything
(d) he takes nearly a bottle of aspirin a day and sips from a can of Sterno
10. What is Leavitt's rule of "48"?
(a) all scientists are obsessed with their work
(b) all scientists are blind
(c) there's 48 ways to do anything
(d) there's 48 types of mistakes in any problem
11. When Burton is still alive, but breathing fast from fear what does Hall do?
(a) he leaves to go check on Leavitt
(b) Hall returns to his lab and stares at Peter Jackson through the glass
(c) he relaxes a moment and sits down
(d) he tells Stone he's going to the men's room
12. What does the Wildfire team believe about the origin of the Scoop contamination?
(a) they come to believe it is an alien life form
(b) the contamination has earth germs that mutated
(c) that the contamination happened before the satellite left earth
(d) there is no contamination; nothing can live in space
13. How will the scientist work on the satellite?
(a) with latex gloves on their hands
(b) behind an ultraviolet barrier
(c) metallic hands inside the sealed room
(d) with binoculars
14. If one cell of E. coli could produce a supercolony equal in size and weight to the planet, why doesn't that happen?
(a) there's too many antibiotics in the world
(b) food and oxygen run out
(c) it's too fragile
(d) nature made it so it stops at a certain size
15. What does Hall find out about Andromeda from the Ph level report?
(a) Andromeda can grow in most pH levels
(b) Andromeda likes all pH levels but 7.1
(c) Andromeda has no reaction to any pH level
(d) Andromeda grows within a narrow range of pH
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton's tests reveal that clotting begins in the lungs then progresses to the brain. What does that mean to him?
2. What happens when Burton gives some live rats anti-coagulant to prevent blood clotting then exposes them?
3. How many ligamine darts hits Hall before he gets to level 4?
4. What does Stone do when they find the message?
5. What happens to the rat when deposited near the satellite?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)