|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what former scientific belief did Leavitt base his rule of 48?
(a) the earth revolves around the sun
(b) it is impossible to put any object into outer space
(c) the earth is flat
(d) science's once irrevocable conclusion that the human body contains forty-eight chromosomes
2. For what reason do the men decide some of the Piedmont people seemed to have committed suicide?
(a) they were too afraid to die of Andromeda
(b) they couldn't stand seeing all their family and friends dead
(c) Andromeda told them to do it
(d) brain hemorrhages are capable of causing insanity as well as death
3. What happens when Hall runs to the door?
(a) he slips, falls and breaks his ankle
(b) he gets out and runs to the substation down the hall
(c) he gets his arm caught in the sliding door
(d) it's too late; he is sealed in, away from the substations
4. What does Stone do to help Burton in the autopsy room when he's been exposed to Andromeda?
(a) spraying the room with bleach
(b) nothing, he doesn't know what to do
(c) coating the walls with antibiotics
(d) pumping oxygen into the room to inhibit the spread of Andromeda
5. What does Hall race back to the autopsy room to stop?
(a) Burton from dying
(b) Leavitt from having another seizure
(c) the pumping of oxygen into the room
(d) Stone from opening the door of the autopsy room
6. Why does an electron microscope work better than any other type of scope?
(a) it has a bigger lens
(b) it uses lasers to shine on the subject
(c) it uses electric current across the lens
(d) it uses magnetic fields rather than light rays to view and enlarge objects
7. Why is the center core protected?
(a) so terrorist can't get through it
(b) to prevent potentially contaminated lab animals from escaping
(c) to bar people from being in it
(d) so a large bacteria can't float through it
8. How did the men feel about finding a solution to Andromeda?
(a) they feel it is impossible
(b) they've given up
(c) that if they did not find a solution, no solution would be forthcoming
(d) they feel someone else could do a better job
9. While dealing with Burton, Hall and Stone hear another emergency announcement by the computer. It is:
(a) Andromeda is now in level 1
(b) Leavitt is having another seizure
(c) a nuclear bomb was dropped on Piedmont
(d) The gasket seals in three other sections have failed
10. What do they do when they realize a nuclear detonation in Piedmont will provide Andromeda with a limitless supply of energy?
(a) call off the directive 7-12 to nuke Piedmont
(c) faint dead away
(d) start screaming at each other
11. Based on the a Millipore filter size what does Burton conclude?
(a) the agent reponds to light
(b) it's not from earth
(c) it is too big to be airborne
(d) the agent could only be a larger molecule like a bacterial cell
12. What will Hall wear to examine the two survivors of Piedmont?
(a) a full body glove
(b) his level 5 coveralls
(c) an astronaut's suit
(d) latex gloves and surgical mask
13. What does the Wildfire group eat for breakfast?
(a) oatmeal with honey
(b) a large pill which is all the nutrients they need
(c) eggs, toast and bacon
(d) a glass of dark brown juice, which tastes like orange juice
14. What does the spectrometer show about the composition of the Andromeda strain?
(a) it has carbon and silicon in it
(b) it resembles earthly organic life
(c) it's radioactive
(d) it is not alive
15. Why does Stone feel they have plenty of time to solve the mystery of the satellite's contamination?
(a) the President said to take their time
(b) nothing bad has happened so far
(c) with Piedmont nuked there is no danger to the outside
(d) it's only been a couple days
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they put into the room with the satellite first?
2. There is another way for Hall to reach a substation. What is it?
3. What seems to produce the best growth in Andromeda?
4. When Burton is still alive, but breathing fast from fear what does Hall do?
5. What is Leavitt's rule of "48"?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)