|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerned Merrick about alien encounters?
(a) that their technology would be much better than ours
(b) that they have been kidnapping humans for years
(c) that they would be hostile and superior
(d) the possibility of a plague resulting from an alien bacteria
2. What is Manchek asked to do when he calls to alert Wildfire?
(a) to meet with the scientists
(b) nothing, activating Wildfire is completely automated
(c) to write up a report of the incident
(d) to destroy all evidence
3. What is Lt. Shawn looking at with a pair of binoculars at the start of the book?
(a) the town of Piedmont, Arizona
(b) his brother's backyard
(c) a couple of bears
(d) two purple vans with peace symbols
4. What did English biophysicist, J.J. Merrick, discuss at a biological symposium?
(a) the improbability of life in space
(b) whether biology was a science worth pursuing
(c) the probabilities of first contact with an alien species
(d) whether humans should go into space
5. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
(a) Dr. Kathleen Coller
(b) Dr. Steven Levine
(c) Dr. Charles Burton, professor at Baylor Medical School
(d) Dr. Byon Shelby
6. What does Mark Hall learn about the Wildfire lab as he's reading the last of the file?
(a) that it was made to look like a little town
(b) the facility is equipped with a nuclear self-destruct device
(c) that it has fifteen rooms on each floor
(d) that it's located in a mountain near Denver
7. What do the personnel in the lab have to do to go to level 5?
(a) take a shower and put on scrubs
(b) get on the elevator and push the button
(c) strip off their clothes and ride to level five naked
(d) personnel are required to undergo stringent decontamination and quarantine procedures
8. What is Dr. Stone doing when the military shows up at his door?
(a) he's not there, he's at work
(c) reading the newspaper
(d) saying good-bye to dinner guests
9. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
(a) calls out the National Guard
(b) hesitates before making his next move
(c) calls the President of the United States
(d) takes a helicopter to Piedmont
10. What does the narrator say about Lieutenant Shawn's life?
(a) that these are the last few moments he will live
(b) that he's been wasting it
(c) that he is soon to start college
(d) that he is young and has a long life ahead of him
11. Why do the two men have radio-directional equipment on the van?
(a) to find a good radio station
(b) to triangulate the position of the Scoop satellite
(c) to find the town of Piedmont
(d) to be able to track aircraft
12. When over the town, Stone and Burton see buzzards eating the bodies. What do they do?
(a) drop gas canisters to kill the birds
(b) fly by low to scare the buzzards away
(c) they don't do anything
(d) they drop a net to capture one of the birds
13. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
(a) it's against his wishes
(b) he's decided fate must have a reason
(c) he's indifferent to it
(d) he's happy and enthusiastic about it
14. What is Project Wildfire?
(a) a program they taught in scool
(b) a think tank of politicians
(c) a project to reforest burnt land
(d) a high-tech laboratory, plus a team of scientists
15. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
(a) that NASA doesn't know about it
(b) it was designed to obtain samples of alien bacterial life in space
(c) that the Scoop satellite in Piedmont is the first one sent up
(d) that a civilian billionaire is paying for it
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burton appear to Stone?
2. Who is walking among the bodies?
3. What did Merrick theorize?
4. What does the Department of Defense do about Stone's proposal?
5. Why are the private and lieutenant looking for the Scoop satellite?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)