|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
(a) he's indifferent to it
(b) it's against his wishes
(c) he's happy and enthusiastic about it
(d) he's decided fate must have a reason
2. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
(a) Dr. Steven Levine
(b) Dr. Kathleen Coller
(c) Dr. Byon Shelby
(d) Dr. Charles Burton, professor at Baylor Medical School
3. Who is in the van with Lt. Shawn?
(a) no one, he's alone
(b) his brother and nephew
(c) his dog, a german shepard
(d) Private Lewis Crane
4. What do they see in the sky over Piedmont?
(a) a radio blaring rock music
(b) large black birds flying in a circular pattern
(c) two cats fighting on a fence
(d) a couple of teenagers breaking into a store
5. How does the information needed to contact Wildfire read?
(a) IN CASE OF FIRE -- Notify Division 87 -- Emergencies Only
(b) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify the fire department
(c) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify the FBI
(d) IN CASE OF FIRE - Notify SECURITY OFFICER 37
6. What kind of theory did noted scholar, Alfred Pockran, have about national crises?
(a) crisis are created by politicians for good ratings
(b) crisis always have a beginning and end
(c) crisis are created by enemies of the nation
(d) crises are created by the individual men involved in the events
7. Who is Major Arthur Manchek?
(a) advisor to the president on the Scoop project
(b) the man who came up with the Wildfire idea
(c) Chief Duty Officer and man in charge of all Scoop Project activities
(d) the air force officer who flew a jet over Piedmont
8. What's the last thing Lt. Comcoe hears from the radio?
(a) Crane calling out in a high-pitched scream
(b) two dogs barking and growling at each other
(c) someone pounding on Lt. Shawn's van door
(d) the man in the white robe talking to Shawn
9. What is Lt. Shawn looking at with a pair of binoculars at the start of the book?
(a) the town of Piedmont, Arizona
(b) a couple of bears
(c) his brother's backyard
(d) two purple vans with peace symbols
10. Why do the two men have radio-directional equipment on the van?
(a) to find the town of Piedmont
(b) to find a good radio station
(c) to be able to track aircraft
(d) to triangulate the position of the Scoop satellite
11. What does Jagger conclude about the white spots, based on the temperature?
(a) it's very hot in Piedmont right now
(b) forty-seven of the bodies are definitely dead
(c) Crane and Shawn might still be alive
(d) it's quite cold in Piedmont right now
12. What does Dr. Hall think about the Wildfire project?
(a) he believed the whole project was theoretical and never expected to actually be called
(b) that the government can't do anything right, including Wildfire
(c) it is a stupid waste of money
(d) that the government is totally paronoid
13. What does Stone ask Manchek to call for to take care of the danger at Piedmont?
(a) a limited thermo-nuclear strike to sanitize the area
(b) a load of pesticides to spray on Piedmont
(c) a thousand ultraviolet lights
(d) the National Guard
14. Why are the private and lieutenant looking for the Scoop satellite?
(a) they want to sell it to another country
(b) they're curious about what it looks like
(c) they're supposed to destroy it
(d) it is their mission to recover it
15. What is the first response to Mancheck's call to Wildfire?
(a) to call each scientist on the list
(b) to shut down the electricity around Piedmont
(c) to call the White House
(d) a top-secret cable is issued informing other military units
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they find alive in the town?
2. What brought about the first scientific crisis in history?
3. What concerned Merrick about alien encounters?
4. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
5. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)