|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stone ask Manchek to call for to take care of the danger at Piedmont?
(a) a load of pesticides to spray on Piedmont
(b) a limited thermo-nuclear strike to sanitize the area
(c) a thousand ultraviolet lights
(d) the National Guard
2. What does Major Arthur Manchek order when he hears of the radio silence at Piedmont?
(a) he orders a Scavenger plane to make a flyby over Piedmont
(b) he orders Lt. Comcoe to send a message to Crane on a secret channel
(c) he orders a national guard unit into Piedmont
(d) he orders a helicopter to Piedmont
3. What does the narrator say the nature of all national crises prior to the scientific boom was?
(a) all national crises were economical in nature
(b) all national crises were political in nature
(c) all national crises were educational in nature
(d) all national crises were medical in nature
4. When Dr. Stone hears of Merrick's theory what does he do?
(a) he thinks Merrick should be fired from his position
(b) he thinks there's nothing that can be done about it
(c) he laughs at them
(d) acts as an advocate for research into this possibility
5. How does Manchek contact Wildfire?
(a) he has to call the White House
(b) his contact is in the next building on the base
(c) he has to call his superior officer
(d) he has been given a business card with a contact number
6. What is Caper One?
(a) the name of Lt. Shawn's mission
(b) the name of the Scoop satellite's mission
(c) a set-up to catch a drug dealer
(d) the name of Lt. Shawn's german shepard
7. What is Project Wildfire?
(a) a high-tech laboratory, plus a team of scientists
(b) a project to reforest burnt land
(c) a program they taught in scool
(d) a think tank of politicians
8. What does Lt. Shawn do as he approaches Piedmont?
(a) leaves his radio on after calling in
(b) pulls on a biological agent suit
(c) turns off his headlights so no one can see him
(d) stops and tells Private Crane to get out and wait for him on the hill
9. How does the President respond to Stone's request for a directive 7-12?
(a) he doesn't know what directive 7-12 is
(b) he orders it to be done as soon as Stone is out of Piedmont
(c) calls for a TNT strike instead
(d) decides to postpone Manchek's request for forty-eight hours
10. What do the white spots on Jagger's film indicate?
(a) that the camera picked up the flares on the ground
(b) human bodies, dead or alive
(c) that water fell on the film
(d) solar flares occuring
11. Why was Hall, a surgeon, chosen for the team?
(a) because they needed one medical doctor
(b) because he had a great personality
(c) because they needed one scientist who wasn't married
(d) officials who believe in The Odd Man Hypothesis wanted him
12. After going to code red, what does Manchek do?
(a) hesitates before making his next move
(b) takes a helicopter to Piedmont
(c) calls out the National Guard
(d) calls the President of the United States
13. What does Mark Hall learn about the Wildfire lab as he's reading the last of the file?
(a) that it was made to look like a little town
(b) the facility is equipped with a nuclear self-destruct device
(c) that it has fifteen rooms on each floor
(d) that it's located in a mountain near Denver
14. What does Stone say the government should do about the possibility of alien bacteria?
(a) the government should construct a laboratory equipped to handle dangerous alien bacteria
(b) they should offer a grant to Stone to look at the question
(c) they should sit up a comittee and study the question
(d) they shouldn't do anything unless it happens
15. What does the Department of Defense do about Stone's proposal?
(a) allocates $22 million for construction of a special, isolated laboratory
(b) says the military can take care of any aliens
(c) tells Stone he'll have to join the military to do anything
(d) refuses to help
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hall do about his appointment to Wildfire?
2. What did Merrick theorize?
3. What does Hall believe about the possibility of a real Wildfire crisis?
4. What kind of theory did noted scholar, Alfred Pockran, have about national crises?
5. What does Dr. Stone tell his wife as he leaves?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)