|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hall, a surgeon, chosen for the team?
(a) because they needed one scientist who wasn't married
(b) because they needed one medical doctor
(c) officials who believe in The Odd Man Hypothesis wanted him
(d) because he had a great personality
2. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
(a) it was designed to obtain samples of alien bacterial life in space
(b) that the Scoop satellite in Piedmont is the first one sent up
(c) that a civilian billionaire is paying for it
(d) that NASA doesn't know about it
3. What does the Department of Defense do about Stone's proposal?
(a) allocates $22 million for construction of a special, isolated laboratory
(b) refuses to help
(c) tells Stone he'll have to join the military to do anything
(d) says the military can take care of any aliens
4. Why are the private and lieutenant looking for the Scoop satellite?
(a) they're curious about what it looks like
(b) it is their mission to recover it
(c) they're supposed to destroy it
(d) they want to sell it to another country
5. What does Project Wildfire do?
(a) investigates NASA projects
(b) investigates any epidepic of Asian origin
(c) investigates forest fires in America
(d) investigates possible extraterrestrial life forms introduced to earth by returning spacecraft.
6. What does the narrator say about Lieutenant Shawn's life?
(a) that he's been wasting it
(b) that these are the last few moments he will live
(c) that he is soon to start college
(d) that he is young and has a long life ahead of him
7. In what configuration is the Wildfire lab built?
(a) as a skyscraper
(b) it looks like a large ranch
(c) five underground levels connected by a central core
(d) in a pentagon, like the one in Washington
8. What is the first response to Mancheck's call to Wildfire?
(a) a top-secret cable is issued informing other military units
(b) to call the White House
(c) to shut down the electricity around Piedmont
(d) to call each scientist on the list
9. What did Merrick theorize?
(a) that alien species could not exist
(b) that alien species would be hostile
(c) that alien species would contact earth
(d) the first alien species encountered by man would be a bacterium
10. What kind of theory did noted scholar, Alfred Pockran, have about national crises?
(a) crisis are created by politicians for good ratings
(b) crisis are created by enemies of the nation
(c) crisis always have a beginning and end
(d) crises are created by the individual men involved in the events
11. What does Hall believe about the possibility of a real Wildfire crisis?
(a) he doesn't think the US is capable of space travel
(b) he doesn't believe any bacteria could survive space
(c) he believes the project is theoretical and never expects to be called
(d) he can't think of any reason he would be helpful in that type of work
12. What do they find when they cut open a victim's wrist?
(a) the blood is no longer liquid; it resembles a red sponge
(b) the blood has turned green
(c) nothing, they never cut open a victim's wrist
(d) the blood has hard, white nodules in it
13. What does Stone ask Manchek to call for to take care of the danger at Piedmont?
(a) a limited thermo-nuclear strike to sanitize the area
(b) a load of pesticides to spray on Piedmont
(c) a thousand ultraviolet lights
(d) the National Guard
14. What does Major Arthur Manchek order when he hears of the radio silence at Piedmont?
(a) he orders a Scavenger plane to make a flyby over Piedmont
(b) he orders a national guard unit into Piedmont
(c) he orders Lt. Comcoe to send a message to Crane on a secret channel
(d) he orders a helicopter to Piedmont
15. Who is walking among the bodies?
(a) the town doctor
(b) several dogs pulling on the clothes
(c) an old man in a white robe
(d) a couple of house cats
Short Answer Questions
1. When over the town, Stone and Burton see buzzards eating the bodies. What do they do?
2. What do the officers give Stone when they get in the car?
3. Dr. Stone heads to Piedmont with another scientist. Who is he?
4. What is Caper One?
5. In Delta sector on Level I, a man sits before a giant communications console. What is his job?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)