|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hall, a surgeon, chosen for the team?
(a) because they needed one scientist who wasn't married
(b) officials who believe in The Odd Man Hypothesis wanted him
(c) because they needed one medical doctor
(d) because he had a great personality
2. How does Burton appear to Stone?
(a) a young football player
(b) an absent-minded professor with sloppy clothes and untidy hair
(c) a monk in brown robes
(d) a sharp dresser and compulsive individual
3. What does Jagger conclude about the white spots, based on the temperature?
(a) it's quite cold in Piedmont right now
(b) Crane and Shawn might still be alive
(c) it's very hot in Piedmont right now
(d) forty-seven of the bodies are definitely dead
4. On the way to Wildfire, what does Dr. Leavitt tell Dr. Hall to do?
(a) make out his will
(b) call his mother and tell her where he is
(c) to read the project file before arriving at Wildfire
(d) take Leavitt's blood pressure
5. What does Dr. Hall think about the Wildfire project?
(a) it is a stupid waste of money
(b) that the government can't do anything right, including Wildfire
(c) he believed the whole project was theoretical and never expected to actually be called
(d) that the government is totally paronoid
6. What does Stone say the government should do about the possibility of alien bacteria?
(a) they shouldn't do anything unless it happens
(b) the government should construct a laboratory equipped to handle dangerous alien bacteria
(c) they should offer a grant to Stone to look at the question
(d) they should sit up a comittee and study the question
7. When the communication specialist checks the equipment, what does he find?
(a) there's paper stopping the bell from ringing
(b) the communications computer appears to be functioning perfectly
(c) there's something wrong with the communication system
(d) he's sees a computer monitor that is turned off
8. What do Lt. Shawn and Pvt. Crane find in Piedmont?
(a) the traffic light doesn't work
(b) no people on the streets
(c) just a town with people going about their business
(d) dead bodies in the middle of the street
9. What spurred significant advances in biological science?
(a) a cure for cancer
(b) the polio vaccine
(c) the invention of antibiotics
(d) the discovery of germs
10. When Dr. Stone hears of Merrick's theory what does he do?
(a) he laughs at them
(b) he thinks there's nothing that can be done about it
(c) he thinks Merrick should be fired from his position
(d) acts as an advocate for research into this possibility
11. When over the town, Stone and Burton see buzzards eating the bodies. What do they do?
(a) they drop a net to capture one of the birds
(b) drop gas canisters to kill the birds
(c) fly by low to scare the buzzards away
(d) they don't do anything
12. What is the first response to Mancheck's call to Wildfire?
(a) to call the White House
(b) to call each scientist on the list
(c) to shut down the electricity around Piedmont
(d) a top-secret cable is issued informing other military units
13. What does the narrator say about Lieutenant Shawn's life?
(a) that he is young and has a long life ahead of him
(b) that he is soon to start college
(c) that these are the last few moments he will live
(d) that he's been wasting it
14. What does the narrator say about the men of Wildfire that will affect the outcome of the work?
(a) the men don't really know what to do
(b) the men are only looking after their own interest
(c) the men are actually aliens wanting to harm the world
(d) the men have some fatal flaws, which will escalate the crisis
15. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
(a) a paper with TOP SECRET printed on it
(b) he doesn't show them anything, they're on a phone
(c) the infrared film images of the town
(d) a red coded phone that connects to Wildfire
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stone feel about Hall's appointment?
2. Where is Mission Control for Project Scoop located?
3. What does the narrator say the nature of all national crises prior to the scientific boom was?
4. How does the information needed to contact Wildfire read?
5. What is Project Wildfire?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)