|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spurred significant advances in biological science?
(a) the invention of antibiotics
(b) the discovery of germs
(c) a cure for cancer
(d) the polio vaccine
2. What does Stone find out about project Scoop on the way to the Wildfire lab?
(a) that the Scoop satellite in Piedmont is the first one sent up
(b) it was designed to obtain samples of alien bacterial life in space
(c) that NASA doesn't know about it
(d) that a civilian billionaire is paying for it
3. Who is in the van with Lt. Shawn?
(a) no one, he's alone
(b) Private Lewis Crane
(c) his brother and nephew
(d) his dog, a german shepard
4. What does Manchek do after he finishes the call with Jagger?
(a) goes to bed
(b) meets his wife for breakfast
(c) takes his dog for a walk
(d) decides to call for a state of emergency
5. When Dr. Stone hears of Merrick's theory what does he do?
(a) he thinks there's nothing that can be done about it
(b) he thinks Merrick should be fired from his position
(c) acts as an advocate for research into this possibility
(d) he laughs at them
6. How does Leavitt feel about Wildfire?
(a) he is fascinated with Wildfire and excited to be working on it
(b) he misses his wife and wishes he hadn't been called
(c) he's indifferent
(d) he's skeptical that it is necessary
7. What is the population of Piedmont, Arizona?
8. What does Private Crane do for Lt. Shawn?
(a) cooks his meals
(b) nothing, there is no Private Crane
(c) drives the van
(d) he is Lt. Shawn's electronics technician
9. What does their nighttime surveillance reveal?
(a) all the houses are lit up
(b) a pack of dogs are barking at a door
(c) a big town party in the center of town
(d) no activity in the town
10. On the way to Wildfire, what does Dr. Leavitt tell Dr. Hall to do?
(a) call his mother and tell her where he is
(b) take Leavitt's blood pressure
(c) to read the project file before arriving at Wildfire
(d) make out his will
11. Who is Major Arthur Manchek?
(a) the air force officer who flew a jet over Piedmont
(b) advisor to the president on the Scoop project
(c) Chief Duty Officer and man in charge of all Scoop Project activities
(d) the man who came up with the Wildfire idea
12. What brought about the first scientific crisis in history?
(a) the invasion of aliens
(b) the advent of modern science
(c) the discovery of an alien space ship
(d) the discovery of the atom
13. What is Dr. Burton's specialty ?
(a) he experiments with human DNA
(b) he studies the effects of sunlight on viruses
(c) he's an expert on zero gravity effect on growth of plants
(d) studying the effects of bacteria on human tissues
14. What does Samuel "Gunner" Wilson, pilot of the Scavenger plane see as he flies over Piedmont?
(a) a line of bodies stretched out below him in the center of Piedmont.
(b) the white robed man jumping up and down and waving
(c) an old Ford with its lights flashing
(d) he doesn't see anything, it's too dark
15. What does Jagger show Manchek on a conference call?
(a) he doesn't show them anything, they're on a phone
(b) the infrared film images of the town
(c) a paper with TOP SECRET printed on it
(d) a red coded phone that connects to Wildfire
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they find when they cut open a victim's wrist?
2. What is Burton and Stone's working hypothesis about the killer in Piedmont?
3. What does Dr. Stone tell his wife as he leaves?
4. What does the narrator say the nature of all national crises prior to the scientific boom was?
5. When they arrive at Piedmont, what do Burton and Stone do first?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)