• Lt. Shawn looks down on the small town of Piedmont, Arizona. The town appears dark and quiet.
• Shawn climbs back into his van and joins his partner, Private Crane.
• The men have been using the equipment on the van to triangulate the position of the Scoop satellite, which is their mission to recover.
• Their equipment indicates the Scoop satellite is in the very center of Piedmont.
• The only signs of life are the large black birds which circle overhead; they appear to be buzzards.
• Mission Control for Project Scoop is located three hundred miles away from Piedmont, at Vandenberg Airforce Base.
• Lieutenant Edgar Comroe's assignment is to monitor the reconnaissance van, which even now is heading into the center of Piedmont.
• When Lieutenant Shawn radios him from outside Piedmont, Comroe pays minimal attention.
• Lieutenant Shawn leaves his radio on while approaching his target.
• Shawn and Private Crane...
This section contains 3,040 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)