|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Resch say it is possible for an android to kill himself?
2. What does Bryant tell him to do?
3. What Isidore take into the garden?
4. Why does Pris say the other androids were killed?
5. What does Deckard do once he has retired all the androids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip K. Dick is said to be a writer existentialist fiction with Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? one of his major works.
1) What is existentialist fiction?
2) What elements of existentialist fiction can you see within the novel's structure?
3) In what ways is Rick Deckard a typical existentialist character?
Essay Topic 2
On what occasions in the novel does Rachael display an emotion that could be construed as human? Take one example and discuss its impact on the novel's overall message? Do the android's have a part to play in Philip K. Dick's world? Can humans and androids have meaningful relationships?
Essay Topic 3
The novel takes place during a short, but unspecified time period.
1) What do think is the time scale of the book? How does it affect the atmosphere of the novel?
2) How much can the reader get to know the characters in such a short time? For example has the reader just entered a low point in Rick's life?
3) How do you think the novel would change if the story was set over a longer time period?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)