|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Iran gets for her husband?
2. What can his alarm system detect?
3. What is Pris sure about concerning Isidore?
4. In what way does Pris say pre-war literature is useless?
5. What did androids start their life as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick is recognized as one of the great American writers from the fifties and sixties, yet Science Fiction is not always a genre people look for examples of great literature. Why do you think Dick used this genre to communicate his views? What are these views? Do think these views are more counter culture than mainstream? Do you think he could of communicated his views as openly in another genre?
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important themes in the novel is that electronic goods and even electronic life is taking over life as we know it.
1) Look at all the electronic goods and electronic life in the book are they hindrance to the characters or do they hope them cope with the stark reality of post war earth.
2) What does Deckard think about electronic goods and electronic life. Does his views change?
3) Look at technology in today's world. Do you think it is helping our society to progress or acting as opiates for the masses. What comparisons can you make with today's technology and the technology in Dick's book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think the following statement is true or false. The Androids in the novel have no feelings for either their own lives or the lives of others. Back your argument with at least two examples from the novel.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)