Short Essay Questions Key
1. In what way in this chapter does Dick blur the lines between real and artificial?
2. In what way is Rick despair different to his wife's?
3. What does the mood organ symbolize?
4. In what way does Rick's sheep symbolize denial of the artificiality of his life?
5. How does Dick present John Isidore's character?
6. In what way does the class system reflect the book's theme of blurring the lines between real and artificial?
7. Why do think Mercer has become such a central figure on earth?
8. Why does Isidore symbolize for the rest of characters?
9. What it is about Rick's character that you think makes him a good bounty hunter?
10. Why do you think Mercerism has become the dominant theology?
11. What does Rick's determination to buy an Ostrich show about his character?
12. Why do you think Rick has a need to hold on to what he regards as reality?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)